Old RPGs. Who remembers.....

Aw, I can't remember any of the names of the texture adventures I used to play, but I remember some of their content. Frustrating frustrating content... "Use this. No? Okay, give this? Throw this? Oh come on. Wave this? Wtf that worked?" I remember Museum Madness and the Carmen Sandiego stuff and of course good ol' staples of Oregon Trails.

Frustrating frustrating content... \"Use this. No? Okay' date=' give this? Throw this? Oh come on. Wave this? Wtf that worked?\"

[/quote']

;D  Or the wise-ass writer that you have to check every synonym of a word to use something.  "You cannot drink the potion...",  "You cannot swallow the potion...",  "You cannot consume the potion..." 

Oh, a wise guy 'ey?  <<>>

"You cannot imbibe the potion..." "You cannot gulp the potion..."  "You cannot swig the potion..."

*****2 hours and half a dictionary later***** and you sound like Yosimite Sam yelling as he falls off a cliff "<#$@*! <#$@*!> <#$@*!> Rabbit!....." 

"You guzzle the potion!"    I guzzle the potion?  I can guzzle the potion, but I can't drink the potion?

I still remember how to finish Zork which is very very odd as my friends have all but forgot it. I'm more into adventure/puzzle games more then. I still love Grim Fandango which is on my PC still :P

I still remember how to finish Zork which is very very odd as my friends have all but forgot it. I'm more into adventure/puzzle games more then. I still love Grim Fandango which is on my PC still :P

I still remember how to finish roughly 50% of Infocom's catalog.  Zork III is tough though because of that horrible pushblock maze...

Interplay's Dragon Wars was my first rpg.  I still remember the joy of finally acquiring both the Magic Quiver (unlimited arrows) and the Gatling Bow (50+ shots per attack).  Thinking about it now kinda makes me want to play it again.

How about Morbius' date=' the Orb of Celestial Harmony, that classic for the IBM 8088 I ran it on?  ;D

[/quote']

I didn't play that game, but I can remember the IBM PC 5150/8088..... sucker was built like a freakin' tank.  I bet the PC case would have stopped a dang bullet.  "Honey, the Russians are attacking!  Get behind the PC!"  ;D

Hum... Maybe I'm too young, but what about Daggerfall ?

This is the first game I played in English. We used to take turn with my brother to do thestory line but we were stuck du to the game bugs... until, 5 years later, I found the patch on the CD 8).

So, 15 years later, when I found Oblivion, you can not imagine my feelling

That the eldest memory of PC games, before I wa scotche dto the tv with my paddle...

Hum... Maybe I'm too young' date=' but what about Daggerfall ?

This is the first game I played in English. We used to take turn with my brother to do thestory line but we were stuck du to the game bugs... until, 5 years later, I found the patch on the CD 8).

That the eldest memory of PC games, before I wa scotche dto the tv with my paddle...

[/quote']

When Daggerfall came out,  I was freaked out by the size of the gameworld.  It seemed endless compared to games that came before it.

[/quote']

When Daggerfall came out,  I was freaked out by the size of the gameworld.  It seemed endless compared to games that came before it.

Daggerfall and Baldurs Gate 1&2 are still my favorite CRPGs. Daggerfall was and is the closest anyone has ever come to bringing a full RPG world to the computer, and BG1&2 were the closest anyone came to an epic campaign. The market has changed so much I doubt we'll see games like that again.

[/quote']

Daggerfall and Baldurs Gate 1&2 are still my favorite CRPGs. Daggerfall was and is the closest anyone has ever come to bringing a full RPG world to the computer, and BG1&2 were the closest anyone came to an epic campaign. The market has changed so much I doubt we'll see games like that again.

I hope Skyrim will be an epic one. 8)

[/quote']

BG1 was a little incomplete to me.  I remember them taking a really long time to get it finished from the time they announced it. When it finally did, some of the maps were virtually empty.  Mods helped and the story was really good. Not great like Planescape, but not many are.  Fortunately, BG2 and Throne of Bhaal made up for what BG1 lacked.

BG1&2 and TOB had flaws, no doubt about it. And absolutely the mods helped tremendously. (BGtutu let you play a continuous game using the BG2 engine, for instance, from Candlekeep all the way to your final ascension to or rejection of godhood). Still, I've never had that epic campaign feeling from any other game. A great story, interesting and memorable NPCs, funny jokes and easter eggs, great dialog, romance. Bioware was on top of their game.

Daggerfall gave you a campaign world with a depth and breadth that CRPGs before just never had, and incredible freedom. Go to one town and become a terror, go to another and be a hero, play repeatable quests as many times as you liked, craft spells and items, etc, etc. Even the core story was good. Again, plenty of flaws, but it was still a beautiful game.

Around that time I also remember playing the Might & Magic series and the Wizardry series (another incredible series, and Dark Savant was another one of those must play experiences).

I sometimes feel like the Great Novels of my life weren't written because of those hundreds of hours of gaming, but I don't much regret it. Like any addict, I enjoyed misspending my youth, and regret only not being able to misspend it again.

The Wizardry series was great... dang, I almost forgot that one.  I think I remember seeing that code booklet from Bane of the Cosmic Forge recently.... the one with the square drawings that look like braille or alien hieroglyphics...  the 3.5 floppy's probably bit the dust a while ago though.  :)

• 3 weeks later...

Hm, my first RPG ever was Eye of the Beholder 2 - The Legend of Darkmoon. Me and my sister were playing together and at first we didn't understand at all what we had to do. But then we found out that you can run around and throw all your items at the big bad wolfs in the forest, so that must have been the idea behind the game. :D

So long as we're talking about old Elder Scrolls games - I got Arena when it first came out, and I HATED IT. First off, I remember it being real glitchy. But the thing that really got to me was when I figured out (or found out) it was all randomly generated, I tossed it away in disgust. I was felt so burned by it that I ignored the Elder Scroll series entirely until Oblivion came out, and everyone was carrying on about it. So, I grabbed a GOTY edition of Morrowind first for like $20 and was mostly pleased.

I've seen several people here mention Adventure, but I'm shocked (shocked! well, not that shocked) that no-one has mentioned Treasure. I liked it more than Adventure, mainly because it was easy to mod. I still remember some of the rooms I created: They Might Be Giants' recording studio, the waterfalling-towards-you (watch out! it's falling towards you!), etc.

I also remember modding Ultima Underworld I, though that was mainly just editing the audio files. "The Abyss is set. Corwyn shall take thee to my mind."

Apparently, I have a strange sense of humour... >.>

• 3 weeks later...

/raises hand, "Another old dog here" (51).

I was a little behind the curve with the computerized gaming industry, then took pretty much the standard route (Atari> Nintendo> Playstation> PC). Started off with Sid Meier's Pirates, then Diablo, EverQuest, Morrowind, LotRO, Oblivion. It's the Lovers mods that got me back to Oblivion.

Before all that it was Friday night bong sessions with D&D, Avalon Hill (various) or Risk. We'd pick up a quarter barrel and setup 4 Risk boards end-to-end, try to conquer them all!

• 3 weeks later...