Old RPGs. Who remembers.....

Hmm Quest for glory...1990... I think I was few days old when this game was released ;)

First RPG I can recall in my memory is Fallout :P (Still have this game on hard drive )

a few days old.... good one.  ;D    ...and Fallout was/is a great series.

Crap' date=' I think you win the old man award with that one.  If anyone wants to beat that they need to pull a Fred Flintstone and have a baby Pterodactyl chip it into a piece of slate.  :D[/quote']

LOL! Turned fifty at last Birthday so yes, they just might. I suppose Ada Lovelace could beat me!

I think Microprose's Darklands was the last RPG I had on 5.25 floppy disks. An incredible game for its time. I'd love to get it for my iphone.

I fondly remember the old Gold Box D&D games. I know I played CRPGs before that, but can't really remember them.

The gold box D&D games is what go me into RPG's too. Had a c64 too before going to PC's but can't recall doing any RPG's on that platform.

And thanks to Slammer and Symon for beating me at age :) by about 5 years, makes me feel all young and giddy again...

The gold box D&D games is what go me into RPG's too. Had a c64 too before going to PC's but can't recall doing any RPG's on that platform.

And thanks to Slammer and Symon for beating me at age :) by about 5 years' date=' makes me feel all young and giddy again...

[/quote']

Dang.. a 52 a few of 50's a bunch of late 40's.... we're the freakin' geezer brigade here.  Professor Farnsworth: "I'm just glad I didn't live to see this day....  ::::takes pulse:::: :::one beat::::  NOOOOOO!"

And thanks to Slammer and Symon for beating me at age :) by about 5 years' date=' makes me feel all young and giddy again...

[/quote']

Dang.. a 52 a few of 50's a bunch of late 40's.... we're the freakin' geezer brigade here.  Professor Farnsworth: "I'm just glad I didn't live to see this day....  ::::takes pulse:::: :::one beat::::  NOOOOOO!"

Glad to know I'm not the only one. I'll save you guys a seat in the nursing home, but dont expect me to save you any pudding.

Now I am suprised you farts did not mention zork, the grandady of all pc rpgs

I think Microprose's Darklands was the last RPG I had on 5.25 floppy disks. An incredible game for its time. I'd love to get it for my iphone.

I fondly remember the old Gold Box D&D games. I know I played CRPGs before that' date=' but can't really remember them.

[/quote']

I didn't play Darklands, but Microprose killed plenty of time for me.  Flashback early 1990s:  "Let's see... I could play Civilization... I could talk to the wife....  hmmm... I never started using the Egyptians have I?" 

My favorite CRPG was probably Planescape: Torment.... the storyline in that game was great.  Favorite series were Pools of Radiance/Pools of Darkness and the Ultima series.

Pfffft If I can remember valley forge like it was just yesterday' date=' I'll certainly remember my pudding.

[/quote']

Ah, I can see it now.

You approach a boat at the edge of the Delaware....Do you?

a) cross the river and save your pudding for later.

B) take your wooden teeth out and eat your pudding.

c) take a nap, and have Miriam(damn she's hot for a 73 year old) and her visiting grandson watch your pudding to make sure it doesn't get stolen.

I loved Planescape Torment, and the Baldur's Gate Series probably killed two years of my life. Worth every minute, too.

I played a few text adventures, but in those days I had enough nearby friends to play tabletop RPGs. They were better. In some ways they're still better (imo), but you can't play them whenever you feel like it or without a group.

I played a few text adventures' date=' but in those days I had enough nearby friends to play tabletop RPGs. They were better. In some ways they're still better (imo), but you can't play them whenever you feel like it or without a group.

[/quote']

Some of the best days of my life were spent sitting around a table and getting stoned while playing D&D

I loved Planescape Torment' date=' and the Baldur's Gate Series probably killed two years of my life. Worth every minute, too.

[/quote']

I always wondered why they didn't continue the Planescape storyline.  It was game of the year when it came out and sold like a bazillion copies.... and the makers were treating it like it was infected with ebola.  "Kill it! It was popular... kill it!"

I loved Planescape Torment' date=' and the Baldur's Gate Series probably killed two years of my life. Worth every minute, too.

[/quote']

I always wondered why they didn't continue the Planescape storyline.  It was game of the year when it came out and sold like a bazillion copies.... and the makers were treating it like it was infected with ebola.  "Kill it! It was popular... kill it!"

Planescape took the best of the tabletop D&D settings, then changed the mechanics to fit a CRPG, then changed them more to make a better story. What you were left with was an amazing story in an amazing setting, with almost completely home brew mechanics. I always wondered if the tabletop IP owners demanded a return to something closer to the tabletop game. Baldurs Gate, as great as it was, was definitely much closer to the standard D&D mechanics.

If I had to pick an all-time favorite?  Legacy of the Ancients.  It was made by the same team who made Questron II, and had a similar engine but was much improved (and had a better difficulty curve in the early stages).

One unique aspect of that engine - no experience points at all.  You gained levels by achieving certain goals, like, say, clearing a certain dungeon.  This did have the effect of making the game somewhat more linear, but not much more than, say, Planescape.  For an earlier RPG, it wasn't especially grindy.  And it had a fully interactive ending, rivaling the ending to Chrono Trigger (the only JRPG I ever particularly enjoyed).  Fire up you C64 emulator and check it out!  There was also a semi-sequel, The Legend of Blacksilver, but I remember it not being as good.