[Need Help] As little as possible ENB Frame Drop.

Leelok

Heeeeeey everyone.. I wanted to start using an ENB. Of course... Those things are always assured to cause A frame drop or a LOT.
Soooo yea, I wanted to add an ENB that doesn't cause -too- much of a frame drop. Though right now. Even the Natural ENB. Installing ENB0.264 causes me to drop at 18-20 frames. Which is good. But theres a Usual Ground Skip. The character moves... Fine, slightly. but the ground skips around a bit and thats annoying. And Im pretty sure I should have around 40+frames without an ENB. But not 60. Because im sure otherwise I,d be fine if I got a natural 60frames. (Unless the game is locked at 30.) ANYWAYS.

Anyone has any advices ? Can mods affect the performance of an ENB ? Lighting mods ?
Sooooooo yea ! Please, Any advices ? (If you have any mod recommendation too, Please, let me know ! )

OH. I must note.. I tried using CTD and ENBoost, but... There was a speedhack thing preventing the ENB to work entirely... soooo yea.

(On that, I have a 4gbs of Video ram, but only 2gbs of dedicated ram. I thought I'd let you know ! and its an NVIDIA card. )

From experience flora overhaul affects a lot if youve got shadow settings on in enb. You might want to try without that if you have it. That said ENBs are all very taxing and for that reason I did not use them for a while. Now tho Ive been using this: http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/53100/?. Tweaked some to get more performance and stuff but I find that to be the best template to start with. Atleast for my setup.

Whatever ENB you are using at the moment, Id suggest going through the enbseries.ini and changing quality of most stuff to 2 instead of -anythingelse-. Also setting skyrim to run in a windowed fullscreen usually gives a better performance.

If you are unfamiliar with changing enb settings, id recommend reading on what all that stuff does. Probably a good start would be: http://wiki.step-project.com/Guide:ENB

From experience flora overhaul affects a lot if youve got shadow settings on in enb. You might want to try without that if you have it. That said ENBs are all very taxing and for that reason I did not use them for a while. Now tho Ive been using this: http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/53100/?. Tweaked some to get more performance and stuff but I find that to be the best template to start with. Atleast for my setup.

Whatever ENB you are using at the moment, Id suggest going through the enbseries.ini and changing quality of most stuff to 2 instead of -anythingelse-. Also setting skyrim to run in a windowed fullscreen usually gives a better performance.

If you are unfamiliar with changing enb settings, id recommend reading on what all that stuff does. Probably a good start would be: http://wiki.step-project.com/Guide:ENB

Like I said, I was using the Vanilla ENB 0.264 xD

And I,ll check it out ! Thanks !

Piggy back on this thread a little, anyone know why when I use ENB my framerate for interior is much worse than that of out door?

I thought normally it is the opposite?

My outdoor framerate is around mid 30s to 40s while interior it dive to 10s and 20 max.

Everything hits 60 when I have ENB turned off

AMD 6970, intel i5 2500k, 8gb ram

not the latest and greatest but I also run only in 1600x900 res

Check your ambient occlusion setting and any lighting mods you have

Oooo...k What should I check in my lighting mods ? I only have.. Realistic Lighting Overhaul and.. Enhanced light and FX. The ENB I was showed up above had a RLO Version,

On that note, I get a nice, 20FPS with that ENB. Its a Smooth 20FPS Not crappy 20FPS though, without the jittery ground. Which... was the main reason I was getting annoyed at ENBs xD; (thats without.. manual optimization)

I mean.. I wish I could get better ? But I don't think thats possible without fiddling with the .ini folder.. which Im not sure into doing, and I don't have -any- Knowledge on the how to. beside true, false, =1 =0. Really. Beside that I know nothing.

Anyone knows why The link Tepi gave, brings you to.. well.. how to help your ENB with ENBoost tells you to turn on the Speedhack ?
But... that just turns my Graphic modifications off(The ENB Itself) When Its not supposed to ? Whats wrong with that ?

When you want to use just the fixes of enboost and not the graphical enhancements of enb, you set UsePatchSpeedhackWithoutGraphics to true. In your case I guess you want all some of the fancy graphics as well. So leave it at false.

If you want to find out quickly if you can get any more fps, open the enbseries.ini, check which effect you have enabled (disable/enable the ones you want) and then change the quality those to 2 which is lowest.

Or what the hell... I'll make it easy for you, try out my .ini and see how it plays. I think mine is probably as performance friendly as I can get it. Although colors might be a bit off for you if you arent using Pure Weathers. Oh, and Ive got 7850 2gb which isnt that high-end anymore.

enbseries.zip

When you want to use just the fixes of enboost and not the graphical enhancements of enb, you set UsePatchSpeedhackWithoutGraphics to true. In your case I guess you want all some of the fancy graphics as well. So leave it at false.

If you want to find out quickly if you can get any more fps, open the enbseries.ini, check which effect you have enabled (disable/enable the ones you want) and then change the quality those to 2 which is lowest.

Or what the hell... I'll make it easy for you, try out my .ini and see how it plays. I think mine is probably as performance friendly as I can get it. Although colors might be a bit off for you if you arent using Pure Weathers. Oh, and Ive got 7850 2gb which isnt that high-end anymore.

attachicon.gifenbseries.zip

That seems to have done the job :o ! I get a nice.. 22-24FPS In town, and outside town. I mean.. that seems to be what im going to get with an ENB whilst it still looks good x3 ! Your settings are very, very nice Tepi ! Thank you a lot !

First to look at are the textures you're using -- anything over 2K will eat up framerates.

I have the Lite versions of the fanmade Retextures. I couldn't get the 4k ones. (Skyrim HD Lite)

Wouldnt high resolution textures have more effect on stuttering than straight up fps? If he got steady fps now without any drops I doubt textures are too high. First thing I would do to get more fps is to adjust shadow settings.

My shadow detail setting(Which is the only one in the skyrim settings screen) Is at medium x)

Is there any other settings Im missing ?

This... http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/48554...is the least demanding way to make Skyrim look better.

I have a less powerful machine than you have (although I do have more RAM) and this gives me no framerate loss at all. I have all the suggested mods to go with and Dynavision. It does everything an ENB should do and is adjustable in game and on the fly.

Except better casting of shadows and lights. And for me that is really the only thing I need an ENB for. Of course if all you need/want is color correction, then yes, sweetfx is the way to go.

My shadow detail setting(Which is the only one in the skyrim settings screen) Is at medium x)

Is there any other settings Im missing ?

Without editing .ini files no. If you want to dive into those heres one of many guides explaining them a bit: http://www.geforce.com/whats-new/guides/the-elder-scrolls-v-skyrim-tweak-guide#15

Wouldnt high resolution textures have more effect on stuttering than straight up fps? If he got steady fps now without any drops I doubt textures are too high. First thing I would do to get more fps is to adjust shadow settings.

Not necessarily, because large textures take up bandwidth on the memory bus.

Bus width and memory speed can both contribute towards frame rate.

This... http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/48554...is the least demanding way to make Skyrim look better.

I have a less powerful machine than you have (although I do have more RAM) and this gives me no framerate loss at all. I have all the suggested mods to go with and Dynavision. It does everything an ENB should do and is adjustable in game and on the fly.

Except better casting of shadows and lights. And for me that is really the only thing I need an ENB for. Of course if all you need/want is color correction, then yes, sweetfx is the way to go.

Yeah, that's why I use Imaginator, ELFX, CoT and Dynavision all together with the SweetFX. I don't get a framerate drop until I turn Dynavision on.

Yeah, that's why I use Imaginator, ELFX, CoT and Dynavision all together with the SweetFX. I don't get a framerate drop until I turn Dynavision on.

I used more or less the same combo for quite some time. I've also used RCRN in the past. They're more than viable options but the problem is, once you've seen how much better a decently made ENB is, you just can't unsee it. 

Even a performance ENB will throw 15 or 20% of your FPS under the bus though, especially when you're using HD textures. I stick to 1024 for everything.

Nobody should rule out lighting mods as a source of sometimes quite hefty performance overhead. ELFX can be pretty demanding just by virtue of how it does what it does. Having used it for the last couple of years I've decided it's just too expensive so I've ditched it. 

I'm currently using a combination of  HHaley's Shadows mod and ELE interiors (both WIP though), I've gained around 5fps over ELFX but it still looks very pretty. Actually I much prefer  Shadows interiors, they're just as dynamic but in a different way. I recommend people try it. 

edit: ENB recommendations are so subjective it's almost not worth offering a suggestion. But I'll throw in Saraan Suum Peformance as mine. Some people don't like it but I've found it's been very kind to me. I don't think you can get the non-ELFX version anymore, that's the one I use with Shadows and ELE and I've tweaked it a little to work with 0.264. It's a really nice ENB in my opinion.  

Wow this ENB changed my life...sort of.

I am still having interior frame rate taking a dive, I think it's shadow or lighting related. But I am already not using any lighting mods.

Compare to Seasons of Skyrim performance edit which I was using interiors are definitely better, I see more 20s than I ever have in the past.

Exterior is sort of mixed, it is generally no worse than before, but I might be seeing less 40s

Archived