Have mod idea - Need help

Hentai-chan

So I have been playing Skyrim for almost a year now. And mod ideas have been buzzing in my head for a few months now. This mod idea in particular has to do with shouts. I have been thinking of how to improve dragon shouts.

1 - You see, I am not a fan of 'the more words you utter, the stronger the shout' thing. You hear Arngeir and Paarthurnax say to know a word of power is to take it meaning in to yourself. So how exactly you take the meaning of 'Fus Ro Dah' when the base shouts is still piss weak? My idea is when you learn a shout (not necessarily unlock it), the base shout will get stronger. For example, the word 'Yol' will release short range semi-powerful fire attack. Learning the word 'Tor' will increase the fire damage of the shout and when uttered, it will perform a fire attack that burns everthing in its path in a medium distance. Learning 'Shul' will further increase fire damage making fire breath a shout to be feared. When uttered, it will release a ball of flame that bursts upon impact causing damage to everthing in a area (like the ones dragons use if you're far away). Also bind a lot of other vanilla shouts to daily uses. How many of you use shouts like Kyne's Peace or Dismay? Hmmm!?

2 - Have you ever wondered that perhaps you could learn the shout in a different way? Without slaying what one might consider bretheren? I'd like make it so that one can unlock shouts without having to use a dragon soul. I mean you're the Dragonborn. Your soul is that of a Dragon. Why isn't the Thunder Voice instrinsic to your very being?

3 - Do you know how you can only meditate on only three words of power? Not anymore, I'd like to make meditating on any word possible. Though this idea is fairly underdeveloped at this point.

The reason why this went under Technical Support is I have no experience modding Skyrim. So do any of these ideas seem remotely possible? If so, how can a beginner undertake this monumental task?

So I have been playing Skyrim for almost a year now. And mod ideas have been buzzing in my head for a few months now. This mod idea in particular has to do with shouts. I have been thinking of how to improve dragon shouts.

1 - You see, I am not a fan of 'the more words you utter, the stronger the shout' thing. You hear Arngeir and Paarthurnax say to know a word of power is to take it meaning in to yourself. So how exactly you take the meaning of 'Fus Ro Dah' when the base shouts is still piss weak? My idea is when you learn a shout (not necessarily unlock it), the base shout will get stronger. For example, the word 'Yol' will release short range semi-powerful fire attack. Learning the word 'Tor' will increase the fire damage of the shout and when uttered, it will perform a fire attack that burns everthing in its path in a medium distance. Learning 'Shul' will further increase fire damage making fire breath a shout to be feared. When uttered, it will release a ball of flame that bursts upon impact causing damage to everthing in a area (like the ones dragons use if you're far away). Also bind a lot of other vanilla shouts to daily uses. How many of you use shouts like Kyne's Peace or Dismay? Hmmm!?

2 - Have you ever wondered that perhaps you could learn the shout in a different way? Without slaying what one might consider bretheren? I'd like make it so that one can unlock shouts without having to use a dragon soul. I mean you're the Dragonborn. Your soul is that of a Dragon. Why isn't the Thunder Voice instrinsic to your very being?

3 - Do you know how you can only meditate on only three words of power? Not anymore, I'd like to make meditating on any word possible. Though this idea is fairly underdeveloped at this point.

The reason why this went under Technical Support is I have no experience modding Skyrim. So do any of these ideas seem remotely possible? If so, how can a beginner undertake this monumental task?

1 - You could easily just edit shouts to your liking. As for how, I cannot help you.

2 - Definitely. When you learn some shouts, such as Odahviing, you automatically learn that shout without having to use a dragon soul. You could easily change the script attached to word walls to just unlock the shout automatically.

3 - Of course. All meditating does is add a spell with a magic effect - you can simply take a look at the spell (I don't remember the name) added when the player meditates on, say, yol. Just add more of the same.

One suggestion - Make dragon souls increase the power of a shout, so they're not completely useless. You could easily make a script that removes a dragon soul and adds a spell much like meditation.

things like increasing dmg or reducing cooldown etc are simple edits and it wont be that hard.

Alternative ways of learning shouts should be a matter of simple scripting.

Adding new effects to a shout is a complete different story. This might be quite hard actually depending on how many and how complicated you want them to be.

As for utility shouts like the major problem is their very short duration imo so they are barely worthy of the effort.

Kyne's Peace would be great if it could be used while riding a horse to allow you to travel without killing 100 wolfs and 50 bears on the route from whiterun to riften for example. Not sure how it works but it would have to apply something to player (creature ally faction?) rather than creatures.

Good luck. Might be interesting. maybe it would make me start using shouts  ;)

To clarify, the first idea is increasing the strength of the shout overall even if you utter one word. If you simply visited word walls that contain Words of Power but you are yet to use dragon souls to unlock them, they will still make your shout stronger. Say you have unlocked 'Yol' but not 'Tor', you will cause more damage than you would before you knew 'Yol'. So at this point you utter more words to get additional effects rather than damage/efficeny/duration boost. I thought I should clarify in case someone out there did not understand. I tend to lose myself in my own thoughts sometimes. :D

Archived