FNIS Directory Problem (Mod Organizer related)

itach1san

Sorry this is a bit long, I'm trying to give much details as I can.

TL;DR: I need to fix "Warning: Bad installation. Generator not run from \Tools\GenerateFNIS_for_Users" in FNIS generator. I can't ignore this because it fucks up my vampire lord animations (I narrowed it down to FNIS being the most likely cause). Currently, I have FNIS (Main behavior, spells, and creatures) installed under MO.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The Whole story: I had quite an unstable skyrim that crashed at random times and couldn't update to the new Sexlab framework without annoying bugs. So I decided to switch to Mod Organizer to get better skyrim modding done in general. I put aside my old skyrim folder into my back up folders and got a clean download of skyrim through steam to my SSD (D drive) instead of HDD (C drive). Installed MO in the SSD (D:) and installed many of my mods I had in old skyrim through MO (I watched and read all tutorials on MO). Started the game through MO and everything was installed fine... except the vampire lord. Whenever I revert form from VL my character would do a weird animation (acting dizzy) and freeze animation. I could move around my character but animation is frozen so it looked like I was floating. Eventually skyrim crash itself without any messages.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
So wanting to fix VL animations, I disabled all mods on MO and only enabled ones listed here...
My load order:

Skyrim.esm
Update.esm
UKSP
Dawnguard
Unofficial-Dawn-Patch
Hearthfires.esm
UHP
Dragonborn.esm
UnOfficial-Dragonborn-Patch
FNISspells.esp
SkyUI.esp

When I got FNIS enabled, generated FNIS animations (no patch), and ran the game; turning into VL makes all the animation becomes frozen (cannot attack, moving and jumping makes it look like my VL is hovering) and when I revert form I become normal again without the crash this time.

This is what my FNIS generator displays when it's ran under MO without any patch ticked:

FNIS Behavior V5.1.1 10/20/2014 1:39:48 AM
Skyrim: 1.9.32.0 - C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Skyrim (Steam)
Generator: D:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Skyrim\data\tools\GenerateFNIS_for_Users\GenerateFNISforUsers.exe
>>Warning: Bad installation. Generator not run from \Tools\GenerateFNIS_for_Users.<<

Skeleton female: Default (99 bones) male: Default (99 bones)

Reading FNIS V5.1.1 ...
Reading FNISBase V5.1.1 ...
Reading FNISCreatureVersion V5.1 ...
Reading FNISSpells V5.0.1 ( 0 furniture, 0 offset, 9 paired, 0 kill, 0 alternate animations) ...

All Anim Lists scanned. Generating Behavior Files ...
Generating animationsetdatasinglefile.txt ...

Create Creature Behaviors ...

0_master usage: 2.9 % ( 9 paired, 0 kill animations)
224 animations for 4 mods successfully included (character)
1 Warning(s).

0 possible consistence issues

My set up is:
So far I tried:

I'm lost on what to do next...
  • No idea why FNIS generator is even looking at my C drive even though I tried the first suggestion above
  • I really don't want to go back to C: drive.
  • I cannot use previous versions of FNIS because I want to use the latest sexlab framework.
  • I really don't want to go back to NMM, MO is just too awesome

Thanks

Did you tell MO to run FNIS, or did you activate it yourself through the menus?

The issue is that MO allows Skyrim to access all the files through what are called "System Links" or symlinks. These links are like shortcuts to folders/files, but are recognized "as the object itself" rather than a link to it. As such, Skyrim goes to access its data folder and is actually accessing dozens of mods' data folders, in the MO folder structure.

By default, FNIS is unable to access that symlink network MO sets up when it runs because it isn't run through MO. What you need to do is add a new executable application to MO, under the edit portion of the part where you select the application to run. You've probably already added an application for SKSE. For FNIS, select the executable from its actual place in the MO mod structure, but leave the "start in" box blank. Should work after that, when run through MO.

Also, to save time, you can uncheck "Close MO when this runs"

That, or your issue is not having the creature pack installed. The VL is a creature, after all.

Or you've done those things, and I'm just lost. In that case, good luck!

Did you tell MO to run FNIS, or did you activate it yourself through the menus?

The issue is that MO allows Skyrim to access all the files through what are called "System Links" or symlinks. These links are like shortcuts to folders/files, but are recognized "as the object itself" rather than a link to it. As such, Skyrim goes to access its data folder and is actually accessing dozens of mods' data folders, in the MO folder structure.

By default, FNIS is unable to access that symlink network MO sets up when it runs because it isn't run through MO. What you need to do is add a new executable application to MO, under the edit portion of the part where you select the application to run. You've probably already added an application for SKSE. For FNIS, select the executable from its actual place in the MO mod structure, but leave the "start in" box blank. Should work after that, when run through MO.

Also, to save time, you can uncheck "Close MO when this runs"

That, or your issue is not having the creature pack installed. The VL is a creature, after all.

Or you've done those things, and I'm just lost. In that case, good luck!

Yes, I'm running FNIS through MO which is why FNIS was able to detect its spell and creature pack as shown in the FNIS generator posted above. I have all FNIS stuff installed by MO so the FNIS generator directory is this currently set as (D:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\Steamapps\common\Mod Organizer\mods\FNIS All in One\tools\GenerateFNIS_for_Users\GenerateFNISforUsers.exe)

My main problem is why FNIS is looking at the wrong directory, the C drive, instead of the correct directory in the D drive. This error seems to be the cause of my VL animations messing up.

Ugh, nvm this thread. The VL animation mess up is part of my fuck up. I'll post what I messed up on so others can see.

I wasn't aware that I had to delete any previous FNIS overwrites created by the FNIS generator. I thought merging the new overwrites to the FNIS dump file I made from previous FNIS generated files. Instead the correct way is to delete any previous FNIS generated files and place new ones in the MO from the overwrites. (Only generate FNIS when overwrite is empty)

As for the "Bad Installation" warning, I have no fix for that and no idea how to fix it. I'm just gonna ignore it.

Archived