(Request/Suggestion) Deadly Capture

NeroBlack00001

Hello everyone, I've got a mod idea.

In the vanilla game, even if you murder an entire town you can just surrender to the law, spand some time in prison and get out relatively unpunished. I find it to be quite immersion breaking.

With this (hypothetical) mod instead, if you commit some really heavy crimes (mainly revolving around murder) you run the risk of being executed if captured, like Roggvir. I think it would make things a lot more exciting, like if you're REALLY fleeing from the law and for your life. That single lockpick you have in your cell as you attempt to escape would really make the difference between life and death!

IF somebody were to ever choose to work on it, could this work by using Prison Overhaul's framework? For those who don't know, if you're captured with that mod on the guards will take you and bring you to prison, the difference being that there you'll get punished, either through wipping, rape or by pillory. In case of outrageous crimes, the framework could be modified so that you'll be brought to the execution log rather than the pillory.

Anyway, this is just a suggestion, ain't no modder myself so...

This seems like it could be a good idea if, like you said, it used a Framework like Prison Overhaul... meaning there was time between being jailed and the execution, with different possibilities of escape.

The biggest potential downside would be that, if you are basically scheduled to be executed in a given hold, there is really no way you'd be able to do quests in that hold ever again, so if this mod were a thing, it'd be cool if it came either with a way to lower one's sentence, or at least wear a disguise so guards wouldn't know it was you.

This seems like it could be a good idea if, like you said, it used a Framework like Prison Overhaul... meaning there was time between being jailed and the execution, with different possibilities of escape.

The biggest potential downside would be that, if you are basically scheduled to be executed in a given hold, there is really no way you'd be able to do quests in that hold ever again, so if this mod were a thing, it'd be cool if it came either with a way to lower one's sentence, or at least wear a disguise so guards wouldn't know it was you.

True, true... I think however that the issue you've adressed could be simply ignored and left as it is in the vanilla game: if the guards talk to you after your escape and say ''You commtted crimes against Skyrim etcetera etcetera'' (you know the drill), you can pay your bounty and that's that. I know I know, I just spoke of realism and immersion, but I don't think this other idea that popped in my head is very feasible...

What I thought of was a more realistic way to clean up your criminal record from heavy crimes that are normally unerasable. Skyrim is split in Imperialist and Stormcloak feuds right? So I say, let there be 2 NPCs, one in Solitude and one in Windhelm. These NPCs are corrupt state functionaries that will allow you to alter or clean up your criminal record in exchange of money. So if you have a bounty exceeding 1000 septims in the Reach you go to the Solitude functionary. If you have a big bounty in, say, the Rift, you instead have to go to the Windhelm functionary and so forth. Plus they remain where they are even after the completion of the civil war questline.

Also, you made a very good suggestion there, and there actually IS a mod for that. What this mod does is allowing you to make the guards not recognize you if you wear a hood provided by the mod. I'd link it to you but I can't find it :-/

This could be done within the Prison Overhaul framework. There are a few things that have to come in place first though.

1. Escape mechanics that make sense. That is, you should be able to escape the guard hauling you to prison, work your way out of the cell, escape bonds in the pillory and so on.

2. Unlimited or otherwise longer prison terms, so that escape chances can be given.

3. System for eliminating bounty in a believable way after capture or escaping (otherwise you'll just get caught again).

4. Execution scenario for the worst crimes.

All of these items are on my agenda for upcoming mod versions. Just that I haven't had any time for modding lately, but I'm working on some of these at the moment, .... :)

Disguises: Sneak Tools has Grey-Fox-inspired disguise stuff that you might be able to use to get around your bounty? I haven't tested them yet, though.

Other ways to get rid of your bounties would be good. I mean, what on Nirn is the face sculpter even good for if everybody still knows who you are when he's done with you?

This could be done within the Prison Overhaul framework. There are a few things that have to come in place first though.

1. Escape mechanics that make sense. That is, you should be able to escape the guard hauling you to prison, work your way out of the cell, escape bonds in the pillory and so on.

2. Unlimited or otherwise longer prison terms, so that escape chances can be given.

3. System for eliminating bounty in a believable way after capture or escaping (otherwise you'll just get caught again).

All of these items are on my agenda for upcoming mod versions. Just that I haven't had any time for modding lately, but I'm working on some of these at the moment, .... :)

Oh I hope 3 and 4 are on your list...actually ESPECIALLY 4, just so I can test it...because, yeah, if I've gone into the guard barracks of every hold in Skyrim and slaughtered everyone there...I don't think they'll be happy with anything less than death.

So far I've made it to lvl 40 without any major bounties...each one was for less than what it costs for a room at the inn.

Oh? Well it's great to hear that you already considered implementing these mechanics :D

As for the points, I'll drop a few suggestions.

1) To escape the guard hauling you to prison one of the following options could work:

A, bribe the guard to let you go, plain and simple much like in the vanilla game;

B, offer sex in exchange of your freedom;

C, escape bonds (both the normal and pillory ones) with either stamina / ''physical'' skills such as one handed, two handed, archery / lockpick / magic skills such as destruction, alteration;

D, have random encounters happen along the way in case of long range transport scenarios, though I can't think of one in which you could be freed, plus it sounds like a complicated thing to do.

To escape the cell:

A, if you're captured in Riften and you're with the Thieves Guild, you will be automatically let go;

B, if you're captured in any other town and are with the Thieves Guild or the Dark Brotherhood, your fellow partners in crime come to save you;

C, if you've completed the Civil War questline, you will be given one (or more, perhaps you could give an option in the mod menu) single amnesty from either General Tullius or Ulfric Stormcloak, but only one (your reputation has its limits!);

D, depending on your sneak skill you'll have more lockpicks (sneak level 1-20 = 1 lockpick, 21-40 = 2, 41-60 = 3, 61-80 = 4, 81-100 = 5);

E, depending on your destruction or alteration skill you'll be able to destroy/unlock the lock of the cell;

F, offer sex to the jailer in exchange of your freedom, though it doesn't make much sense since they can already screw you whenever they want (if they freed you they couldn't do that anymore, this would only work at their detriment, unless the jailer's feeling kind...)

2) Sounds good. Don't have anything to add on the matter.

3) To eliminate the bounty you could pay the corrupt state functionaries I mentioned above... Or have sex with them. Your crimes will thus be erased from official documents.

However, you could also change your identity, which is also the only way to get rid of your ''wantedness'' if you've escaped from your cell. To do that, one of the two functionaries lets you re-enter the character creation menu. If it were for me I'd only leave the possibility to change your face paint and/or hair (for realism), but the ability to change your other facial features as well, as BlueCorvid mentioned, works too

4) Yes please! After all, this is the very reason I made this request. For realism I'd make it so that even if you kill just one innocent civilian or guard that you'll get a death sentence, but perhaps you could implement an option for this in the Mod Menu? Something customizable like ''Death Sentence - 1 (meaning one murder to get it)'' or ''Death Sentence - 20 (meaning that you have to murder 20 people for the death sentence)''

Personally, just the possibility of being executed if captured (for heavy crimes only) without all these shenanigans would suit me just fine. I'm a guy that loves immersion mods and this possibility makes things a LOT more realistic IMHO

• 2 weeks later...

As for the points, I'll drop a few suggestions.

1) To escape the guard hauling you to prison one of the following options could work:

A, bribe the guard to let you go, plain and simple much like in the vanilla game;

B, offer sex in exchange of your freedom;

C, escape bonds (both the normal and pillory ones) with either stamina / ''physical'' skills such as one handed, two handed, archery / lockpick / magic skills such as destruction, alteration;

D, have random encounters happen along the way in case of long range transport scenarios, though I can't think of one in which you could be freed, plus it sounds like a complicated thing to do.

One suggestion for D would be very simple, at least as long as the civil war hasn't been decided yet - have the group of guards run into patrols of either the imperials or the stormcloaks, whichever is not the side they are on, and have them fight each other - voilà, a chance to run away or be freed if the other side wins. Of course, you could also build in a safeguard against daft characters by having them ask what you were arrested for. On which the clever PC replies that (s)he was arrested for wanting to join the other side ;) ..Heck, they might even demand that you join their side in return for freeing you....

• 1 month later...
  • 7 months later...

Archived