CTD when trying to enter Understone Keep(Markarth's palace)

Metal_Izanagi

Seems I'm not the only one having this problem, but so far all I've seen are a bunch of threads in various places describing the problem, with no solution. It's like the problem is just forgotten because not everyone gets it. I'm currently on the Stormcloak quest to get the loyalty of the Jarl's aide or whatever in Understone Keep, and of course, this bug causes a CTD whenever I try to enter. Even coc-ing into the place just nets me an instant CTD. No problems anywhere else in the game. None of my mods do anything to Understone, and this seems to be affecting a lot of people, often relating to one of the Thieves' Guild quests altering the Keep's cell. Is there any way to uncorrupt this cell, or am I just going to have to avoid the Keep and any other places that happen to get corrupted in this buggy game?

I've tried verifying the integrity of the game files with Steam, and I don't have earlier saves, because generally I rely on autosaves for any troubles, which are few and far-between since the patches began rolling in. There's just this huge problem now, with Understone Keep. I've tried multiple entryways, from the front door, the door in the Hall of The Dead, and directly coc-ing in from both Markarth proper and the Hall of The Dead. Same result each time, not even a loading screen. just a straight CTD the moment I initiate entry.

I have not done any of the imperials vs stormcloak quests on my newer games but I have done all the thieves guild quests on all my games... I don't have an issue entering understone so it might be confined to entering for specific questlines. i.e. the stormcloaks one your on. Its possible that there some scene or script that is supposed to play when entering with that quest active and the script is corrupt but I wouldn't know the first thing about correcting it outside of wiping out your skyrim folder and redownloading the game for a fresh file system. This wont hurt your saved games as they are stored in your my documents folder.

Archived