View File

Description:
Adds a quest to retrieve some books, a descriptive user's manual for Devious Devices, in nine volumes, with pictures.
There are also a couple of other books too, that don't necessarily have much to do with the quest.
You get (most of) the books by doing a series of fetch quests for Herra, at her house at the Half-Moon Mill in Falkreath hold.

This mod requires (including all prerequisites):
Devious Devices Integration
Devious Devices Assets
ZaZ Animation Pack
SexLab Aroused OR
SexLab Aroused Redux (recommended)
SexLab Animation Framework (this mod made with version 1.59c)
SKSE
SkyUI OR
SkyUI + SkyUI-Away (if you really hate SkyUI)
Fus-Ro-D'oh
Also recommended: Sexlab Interactive Arousal :D

Known bugs, conflicts and other issues:
Anything that modifies the following NPCs might break progress in this mod:
. Grogmar gro-Burzag (Shor's Stone)
. Anton Virane (Markarth Understone Keep)
. Garvey (Markarth Warrens)
. Odar (Solitude Blue Palace)
Note that this means that if you've killed any of those NPCs before installing this mod, it'll break progress. A possible fix is to .placeatme them if they're missing.
. Herra's mouth stays open and her lip animations when speaking twitch oddly after her gag is removed. There's nothing I can do about this. Saving, exiting the game, and re-entering fixes it.
. It is possible to fast-forward the quest, possibly breaking things, by pickpocketing books 1, 4, and 7 before the quest reaches that stage. You should probably not do that. ;)
. Many people have problems finding the dead courier(s). These posts HERE and HERE and HERE and HERE and HERE should help.
. Exiting dialog early at some stages may lead to the quest becoming unfinishable. Also, pickpocketing or otherwise obtaining the books before they are needed for the quest may break progress.
. Alva may be hostile or nonhostile, and her schedule may alter quite a bit, depending on the status of the Laid to Rest quest. I am not sure if killing her before that quest is completed would mess it up, so I recommend stealth to get her book.
. Cutting Room Floor v1.13 adds in an NPC to Kynesgrove (Froa, daughter of Kjeld and Iddra). This isn't exactly a conflict, but it makes no sense to have two Froas there. :)
. There are two versions of this mod. One should only be used if you use Skooma Whore 1.0 or later. Using the other version will block you from accessing the Markarth skooma den.
. The Skooma Whore patch has been removed and replaced with a full Skooma Whore version, so you only have to download one.

FAQ
Flying Astronaut Quadrupeds. No, I mean Fortuitous Apple Questionnaire. Or possibly Forthright Assholes Qualify.
Okay, I'll stop playing whack-a-mole with the abbreviations, here's a Frequently Asked Questions section.

Q: I'm having a problem with this mod.
A: That's not only possible, it's likely. I'm a newb to modding. Leave a comment in the support thread and I'll get back to you. I can't guarantee I can fix a problem, but I'll do my best. :)

Q: I have a question about this or any other mod. Should I PM you?
A: No, please. Use the support thread. That's what it's there for.

Q: Your mod conflicts with <other mod>.
A: That's also highly likely. In general, for stuff like this, put whichever one you want more lower on the list.

Q: Can I suggest <feature> or <NPC>?
A: Yes please! I can't guarantee the request will get into the mod, because as I've said I'm not very good at modding, but I'll certainly consider it!

Q: Can I translate your mod?
A: Certainly! I didn't write it with any sort of translation in mind, though, and I do tend to use American English idioms and phrasing, so... good luck! Go ahead and post your translation in the support thread and I will link to it in the OP.

Q: Can I or you upload this to another site?
A: Nope. I don't personally have anything against other sites, but this mod is Sexlab-based so it's all staying right here on Loverslab.

Credits and thank-yous:
. jordisslave, for inspiration, beta testing, bugfixing, text editing, and most especially all the images, without whom these books would be much more drab, not to mention shorter, and quite frankly boring.
. Also thanks to jordisslave for writing "Harnessed and Free" and "Ariel's Mistress"
. And special thanks to DocClox, WaxenFigure, Z0mBieP00Nani, mybrainhurts, Kimy, and Coopervane, for helping me figure out how to actually do stuff.
. Extra special thanks to Jfraser, for helping with the scripting, saving me from going completely insane and punching the computer right in the CK, and without whom this mod wouldn't even exist in its current form. Also for spotting grammmmmmmmar and spelping eors. ;)
. Special thanks to mybrainhurts for helping me to learn and grow and become a better person and chop out the aliases in this mod with pruning shears, I'm really annoyed with aliases right now, and thanks to mybrainhurts, this mod actually works for more people than just me.
. Zadil, Min, Coopervane, and Veladarius for making my Skyrim much more interesting. I'm stopping there, because if I wanted to mention everyone who made a mod I particularly enjoy, I'd have to list over 230 names.
. Omega1084 for a stolen line of text. Thanks to r5e4w3q2 and Thermius for ideas and suggestions.
. Adorabledeviant for pointing out the "failed to complete quest" bug, fixed in 2.1.3.
. spoonsinger for pointing out a bit of leftover scenery in 2.1.7.

Important things I have learned:
1. :@Aliases are only necessary for scenes. For everything else, there's Mastercard properties.
2. Object references are generally the best way to enable/disable objects. Duh.
3. Planning is very important. Double duh.
4. There's a reason vanilla quest stages usually go by tens and not ones. Inserting quest stages is sometimes very important.
5. When you get started writing dialog, it's hard to force yourself to stop.
6. Setstage scripts don't seem to want to run at the end of dialog branches, only in the middle. Aah, Skyrim.
7. Creating new dialog views for every topic is unnecessary. Triple duh.
8. Creating new topics for every dialog option is unnecessary. I'm running out of duhs, here.
9. Pointerless quests are more fun than pointered quests. Your mileage may vary.
10. Save. Often. The Creation Kit likes to crash at random intervals.
11. Don't save too often. Keep backups of your work from before you decided to be an idiot and change something drastic.
12. <Alias=player> only works for your own voice. NPCs can't say your name.
13. Sex through dialog is easy. Sex through other means is hard.
14. Scripts in dialog generally work better than scripts in quest stages.
15. There are NUMEROUS exceptions to point 14.
16. Okay, :@Aliases are useful for a couple of things other than scenes. Mostly stuff dealing with actors.
17. And :@Aliases can really FUCK YOU UP if you let them. I'm with Veladarius and Jfraser - I hate the buggers.
18. Do not add in things that you do not intend to use. Duh.

Previously, in version 1.1:

NOTE: THIS IS NOT THE QUEST VERSION YET! No quests implemented. This is it, folks... we're done until next year.
This is just a quick update taking full advantage of Jordisslave... I mean, taking full advantage of Jordisslave's pics.
This *should* work just fine if you just overwrite the old one with the new.
On the off chance it doesn't work right, or breaks your game, or makes your computer melt and your keyboard violently attack you... It's all John Von Neumann's fault. He and Bill Gates are in it together, it's a conspiracy, I tell ya!
This is not the finished product yet - just a lot of improvements to the books themselves.
Please feel free to comment... we would love to hear your thoughts!

Description:
This little modlet adds several books to the game.
The books are a descriptive user's manual for Devious Devices, in nine volumes. Now with pictures!
They can be found in a chest in Half-Moon Mill.
Eventually, this is going to be a full-fledged quest mod, but for now, it's just books.

Conflicts:
Probably anything that modifies Half-Moon Mill interior cell.

To-do list:
Make up the quest and everything that goes with it (hopefully I can get some decent time for this starting January 2015).
Figure out how to add in my own book cover textures
Take out the plugs, they make sitting for long periods uncomfortable (sorry, darkconsole).

Credits and thank-yous:
Zadil, Min, Coopervane, and Veladarius for making my Skyrim much more interesting
Images courtesy of the lovely and talented Jordisslave, without whom these books would be much more drab, not to mention shorter, and quite frankly boring.
Inspiration and editing for the entire set also thanks to Jordisslave.
Omega1084 for a stolen line of text.
And everyone else who should be spanked thanked.

NOTE: Unfortunately, our data directories are a confusing, mixed-up morass of many miscellaneous mods, and isn't alliteration wonderful?
If you've made one or more of the mods shown in the images presented herein, we would love to give credit to you... please leave a note in the support thread.
And if you're intent on asking "what mod is this" about something shown here, well, you're probably out of luck... we recommend posting the image and your request in one of the "what mod is this" threads.

• Submitter
  • Submitted
    09/16/2014
  • Category
  • Requires
    Skyrim, Devious Devices Assets, Devious Devices Integration, SexLab Aroused, SexLab, Fus-Ro-D'oh
  • Special Edition Compatible

In Creation Kit, right click on the item and in the menu select edit, then in the tabs in about the middle of the menu window that pops up (I think it's called "Ownership") there should be two boxes the one on the left should say "NPC" You need to set that to "Player" and it should fix the ownership problem.

EDIT: See the fourth post down http://forums.nexusmods.com/index.php?/topic/569431-creation-kit-help/ be prepared to laugh too. the guy who posted it is clearly mad.

In Creation Kit, right click on the item and in the menu select edit, then in the tabs in about the middle of the menu window that pops up (I think it's called "Ownership") there should be two boxes the one on the left should say "NPC" You need to set that to "Player" and it should fix the ownership problem.

EDIT: See the fourth post down http://forums.nexusmods.com/index.php?/topic/569431-creation-kit-help/ be prepared to laugh too. the guy who posted it is clearly mad.

Heh... I can't say I'm surprised, I've been pretty pissed at the CK and Bethesda a time or two myself.

So... I'm going to try setting ownership to Player (rather than none... why doesn't none work?) and see if that works.

If not, maybe set ownership of the cell to player and see if that does it.

Whatever I end up doing though is probably not going to matter when I flesh this out a bit.

Thanks!

Your CK woes almost certainly stem from lacking scripts.

A few of DD's dependancies are packed in .BSA files (such as SkyUI and Arousal, and i belive SKSE also has a few thing you need it's SDK for, it's avalible on their site), and the CK requires loose scripts to read them, it won't read from packed files, so you need to unpack those to loose scripts before the CK will handle things.

I can recommend BSAopt for dealing with .bsa files :)

I never did download the SDK for SKSE... just the installer a couple of times and the archive mostly. I didn't even know that SKSE had an SDK.

I'll try unpacking SkyUI and Arousal and see if that fixes the CK.

BSA, DD, SDK, SKSE, SkyUI, CK... the acronyms are filling up my PC's HDDisk!

Heh, indeed :lol:

Oh, and you wondered about a CK alternative, well Tes5edit is what's on tap, and you should probably be drinking it. There are a few things it won't do and which you'd still need the CK for, but on the whole it's a much more freindly development environment than the CK is if you ask me. I'd estimate that 90% of DDx was coded in Tes5edit rather than the CK (which i avoid like the plague when able) ;)

Heh... I can't say I'm surprised, I've been pretty pissed at the CK and Bethesda a time or two myself.

So... I'm going to try setting ownership to Player (rather than none... why doesn't none work?) and see if that works.

If not, maybe set ownership of the cell to player and see if that does it.

Whatever I end up doing though is probably not going to matter when I flesh this out a bit.

Thanks!

Your welcome

Heh, indeed :lol:

Oh, and you wondered about a CK alternative, well Tes5edit is what's on tap, and you should probably be drinking it. There are a few things it won't do and which you'd still need the CK for, but on the whole it's a much more freindly development environment than the CK is if you ask me. I'd estimate that 90% of DDx was coded in Tes5edit rather than the CK (which i avoid like the plague when able) ;)

Wait.. so Tes5edit can be used for more than just finding out why your game keeps crashing to desktop? I need to look into this..

I saw on the toDo list that you intend to include device pictures at some point. You might want to check the textures folder of DD:Assets, which contains several sketch-like images (including transparency) of many included devices that are ready to be placed inside in-game books or other readable documents and are available to be used by third-party mods - maybe you'll find them helpful for that purpose.

Wait.. so Tes5edit can be used for more than just finding out why your game keeps crashing to desktop? I need to look into this..

I've used TES5Edit several times, for cleaning... but I've never tried to use it to make mods. I've got the application open right now and I can't see how to begin.

The things i won't do is deal with the worldspace (like placing objects in cells, or creating cells), and script-heavy stuff like scenes and quests, the CK is still needed for this. But it'll do everything else in a much simpler and easier to sort through interface.

You can no doubt find tutorials a plenty for how to get started with Tes5edit.

Tried unpacking the BSAs and trying opening Captured Dreams that way... (btw - the eventual full mod is not going to require captured dreams - it's just that not being able to open it has been eating at me). No dice.

And I had some old rogue scripts running around that were somehow making me be unable to sleep on beds and a few other minor things. So I decided to do a clean install.

Just got finished.

Tried to open up Captured Dreams with the CK again.

Works fine now.

Aah, Skyrim. Will you ever cease to provide countless hours of joyful frustration culminating in facepalms?

• 3 weeks later...

Sending just an executable in a zip, Zonealarm is not happy with you, I like it though.

I wonder if it would like sending an .exe in a .zip inside a .rar in a tarball in a gzip in a 7z in an arj file?

Where I work, our email filter doesn't like executables in archives either. It's pretty good at sorting nested zip files, so we usually just rename the .exe to .txt and fool it that way. I've yet to meet a filter that actually looks at the contents of text files to see if they're hostile...

Was that update a bump?

Not intended... I just added some text to the OP. It kept messing up on me, and I had to update it like five times or something, so it probably showed up as a bunch of updates.

I'm sure people will treat it as a bump though... or just download the mod again even though there's no difference. Sigh... there goes my highly scientific, well-researched and considered "popularity" calculation...

/* MESSY! Close to spaghetti! */

#include <iostream>
using namespace std;

int main(){
    int basedl=210; //arbitrary... I think it was around this number?
    int origpopdays=19;
    float origpop=210.0/19.0;  //just set origpop to 11.5 and below set dls-basedl = dls-210

int days=0;
    int dls=0;
    cout << "\nHow many days has it been since October 4, 2014?\n"; cin >> days;
    cout << "\nAnd how many downloads does the mod have right now?\n"; cin >> dls;

//    origpop=1.0;//origpop/11.526315782;
    int newdls=dls-basedl;
    float newpop=newdls/days;
    float totalpop=1+(newpop/origpop);   //+1
    cout << "\nBased on the number of downloads and days, I calculate that:\n";
    if (totalpop<=1) {cout << "\nThe mod is exactly as popular as it was before the last update\n"; //was <=0, with +1 above should <=1
    cout << "I assume that dls will taper off because people who want the mod will already have it... the number will eventually go down below zero.\n";

}
    else cout << "\nThe mod is currently " << totalpop << " times as popular as it was before the last update.\n";

system("pause");

return 0;}

It's C++, but it can be easily rewritten for C. The only thing I really use C++ for over C is the "cin" and "cout" objects.

At home here, on Windows, I usually just use Bloodshed Dev-CPP as an IDE:

http://www.bloodshed.net/devcpp.html

It's free, it's solid, it does what I want. It is extremely lacking in some areas, particularly debugging, and it has no ability to find program bottlenecks or anything like that.

It's a hell of a lot quicker than Visual Studio or even Eclipse at compiling and linking, though... I don't know why MS Visual Studio is so goddamn slow.

I tend to use Visual Studio for serious windows-based development and DEV for quick and easy stuff like this, or when I just want to test something out. I only really use GCC when working in Linux.

I guess I probably should combine the mods some time... save two slots in the load order.

For the full version, I'm actually going to start again from the ground up... the books will be the same, but I'm going to add in DD as a dependency, and add in some new stuff in various locations. I'm lazy, so I think I'll just add in the other two mods to the full version.

Did I ever send you my short writeup for what I intend to do?

Cleaned, just for the hell of it.

#include <iostream>
using namespace std;
int main() {
    double origpop=11.526315782;
    int days,dls;
    cout << "\nHow many days has it been since October 4, 2014?\n"; cin >> days;
    cout << "\nAnd how many downloads does the mod have right now?\n"; cin >> dls;
    int newdls=dls-210;
    double newpop=newdls/days;
    double totalpop=1+(newpop/origpop);
    cout << "\nBased on the number of downloads and days, I calculate that:\n";
    if (totalpop<=1) {
        cout << "\nThe mod is exactly as popular as it was before the last update\n";
        cout << "I assume that dls will taper off because people who want the mod will already have it... the number will eventually go down below zero.\n"; }
    else cout << "\nThe mod is currently " << totalpop << " times as popular as it was before the last update.\n";
    system("pause");
    return 0; }

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Oh my GODS I am going insane right now...

The Creation Kit's stupid autocorrect is so freaking irritating.

I'm  editing a dialog view, and I want the NPC speaking to say "my name is Hera" and it keeps automatically setting it to "my name is Hear". This is not the Check Spelling popup, it's just automatically correcting!

And I'm also having trouble getting a quest to actually show up in the journal. Like, I've been working at this for weeks now and still getting nothing but headache.

I'm tempted to just release what I've got until I can figure out how to make a quest.

Does anyone know how to reference the player's name through dialog? I want the NPC to ask what the player's name is, and I want the player to say "My name is _____."