Hunting down texture file names.

Tekmon_Xonic

Hello everyone, sorry if I posted this in the wrong section.

Lately, I've delved into the wonderful world of modding. I've been modding the crap out of Fallout New Vegas, and I'm having a blast doing so. However, I've come across a problem that I've never really delt with before.

I download a mod called Kristinas Closet for fallout New Vegas. Which adds tons of cool outfits for female characters. I've taken some of the outfits and edited their textures so I could make new clothes for my custom npcs / companions to wear, and so far, I've been able to find every single texture for each and every model from the mod.

However, there is one model in particular where I simply can't find the texture for. I've looked at the mods texture sets, looked at the clothing item itself to see if I can find the textures, and even looked in FNV Edit. But I've had no luck. It's baffiling me, since I've had no problem thus far finding textures.

If you have any methods of hunting down texture files names, please let me know. I'm really wanting to find it so I can edit the textures to complete my companions outfit.

Thanks in advance. :)

Many mesh have the texture "baked" on in Blender I believe and the textures are just alternative recolors.

Ah. So there is no texture, and instead, the discriptors in the .nif file tell the game to display certian colors. I feel really stupid now. Sometimes the most difficult problems have the simplest answers.

Thank you for your help. :)

Does the outfit render in nifskope or does the outfit appear white/grey? If it appears white/grey and doesn't render in nifskope then that will tell you that the textures are only rendered in game as the texture files are in the BSA. You would have to look at the texture path to find the textures name and then use FOMM's BSA extractor to extract the .dds files that you need and then place them into the correct folder path in your game folder and they will override the texture files in the BSA.

Does the outfit render in nifskope or does the outfit appear white/grey? If it appears white/grey and doesn't render in nifskope then that will tell you that the textures are only rendered in game as the texture files are in the BSA. You would have to look at the texture path to find the textures name and then use FOMM's BSA extractor to extract the .dds files that you need and then place them into the correct folder path in your game folder and they will override the texture files in the BSA.

Yes, in the .Nif file, its white. But in the GECK, it has colors and everything. I've already used FOMM to extract the .BSA files, and no luck, I've looked at every texture set in loaded in the plug-in, and none of them match the object. So I have no way of finding the source .dds files. Its really frustrating. :)

it's very uncommon, not finding a texture on a cloth. Now I'm curious, which one is giving you troubles? even the full coloured Dragon Girl should have a texture (the dragon), I can't think to any cloth from Kristina's closet which could miss textures...

Sorry if I did not see this stated above but you could tell us what mesh or outfit your looking at in that set, I have his latest 4.x version, would be helpful so we can look at in files, also you could just ask Jonas what they are since he is here on LL and Nexus, he is great guy and will most likely answer you if you ask him.

Sorry for not responding sooner guys! Got lost in modding Fallout New Vegas. :P

@ Jonas

I thank you for personally helping me. Here is the outfit I'm trying to find the texture for.

ID: joslinkystockings

Name: Slinky Lace Stockings Black (I just chose this as an example, I know there's a few of them)

The slinky stockings Should be in the following folder:

textures/jonasclothes/slinkydress/taitu_lace.dds  -- black (also has the red variant in there)

textures/jonasclothes/vaultgirl/taitu_lacew.dds -- white

When you say that you extracted the BSA files, are you sure that you got the jokristinascloset_meshes AND jokristinascloset_textures BSAs?  The only reason for it to show up white in nifskope should be that the texture files are either in the wrong place or they weren't extracted.

The slinky stockings Should be in the following folder:

textures/jonasclothes/slinkydress/taitu_lace.dds  -- black (also has the red variant in there)

textures/jonasclothes/vaultgirl/taitu_lacew.dds -- white

When you say that you extracted the BSA files, are you sure that you got the jokristinascloset_meshes AND jokristinascloset_textures BSAs?  The only reason for it to show up white in nifskope should be that the texture files are either in the wrong place or they weren't extracted.

Yep! That's the one!

I have extracted both .BSAs. However, I'm copying the models and editing the textures so I can create new clothing in my personal companion mod. That's why I posted this topic. I was veiwing the model in the geck, which showed up fine.

Thank you so much, now I can compelete my beloved Succubi's pink outfit. You rock! :)

Perhaps I should share some screenshots? (Credits to you Jonas for you awesome work. Thanks to modders like you, I have awesome resources to work with.)

I'm glad I could give you a chuckle. You see, recently I've delved into the world of modding, and I'm having a blast making stuff for games. I've downloaded countless mods and used them as resources for personal use.

I never expected the mod author himself to actually help me find what I was looking for. I'd like to thank you, and kudos to you to making some awesome clothing.

Happy modding! :)

Archived