[3ds Max] Skeleton Controller Rigs - Draugr v0.13.2 (2015-09-22)

Sry if i'm askying something stupid but... my elbows controls just rotate in one direction (Z). I can't make them move in other directions.

What am i doing wrong?

I'm going to assume you're talking about the 'Elbow Swivel' control because that's the only thing that can be considered rotating on the Z axis. It's also the only thing labeled with 'Elbow'.

The only other thing elbow related is the forearm bone controls but that can only rotate on X. Is this what you're talking about when you're trying to rotate other axis?

Typically, the easiest way to pose the arm is to move/rotate the IK(red colored) hand controls + elbow swivel. FK controls are used in very limited motions.

If none of this covers what you're doing, be more detailed in what you're attempting.

attachicon.gifCapture.JPG

Srry, maybe my english is not the best.

What i was saying is that i can rotate elbow controler in vertical way

attachicon.gifCaptura de pantalla (1).png

but not on horizontal way.

attachicon.gifCaptura de pantalla (2).png

Elbows don't work like that. To properly get to that angle also requires rotation from the UpperArm controller on Z axis. And rotation on hand.

attachicon.gifCapture1.JPG

The above method is really slow. Instead, try the following:

1. Set IK/FK Blend = 0

2. Click Move tool

3. Set to World

4. Click on NPC L Hand [LHnd]_IK Ctrl_F and move it around to where you want. NPC L Hand [LHnd]_IK Ctrl_F can also be rotated.

5. Adjust swivel angel.

attachicon.gifCapture2.JPG

Maybe a better example so you don't get confused with IK/FK stuff in the arms is to move+rotate with NPC L Foot [Lft ]_Ctrl_F. Hands work in the same manner.

attachicon.gifCapture3.JPG

Ok thanks!

Ajjjjj!

Now my trial version of 3ds max has expired, and the oldest student version is 2015.

There is a way to download Havok Content Tools for 3ds Max 2015?

Ignore my question.

HCT 2014.1.1 supports 3ds max 2015!

That combo doesn't work. However, if you achieve success, report back.

Wow rlly? What can i do then? :( I don't want to download a pirate copy and the program is too expensive for amateur purpose....

At least can I save the animation and send to someone that has the proper version? Or 3ds max 2015 animations are no compatibles for lower versions?

Ajjjjj!

Now my trial version of 3ds max has expired, and the oldest student version is 2015.

There is a way to download Havok Content Tools for 3ds Max 2015?

Ignore my question.

HCT 2014.1.1 supports 3ds max 2015!

That combo doesn't work. However, if you achieve success, report back.

Wow rlly? What can i do then? :( I don't want to download a pirate copy and the program is too expensive for amateur purpose....

At least can I save the animation and send to someone that has the proper version? Or 3ds max 2015 animations are no compatibles for lower versions?

Ya, you can make animations in whatever Max version and then send to someone else to export. From the front page, the required HCTs only works for Max 2010-2012.

Other alternative is to try Blender.

I'm having problems with IK/FK Switch.

In the middle of animation, for example, I need to rotate shoulders. To do that, I need to press on FK--->IK button (Cause green controlers only can be moved/rotated with IK right) and put "100" on Ik/FK blend. Then i can change shoulder rotation properly.

But the problem is that in some cases (don't know when or why) the position of my arm screw up and i have to restart the animation again. 

I know that i'm doing something wrong cause in the first place i don't have idea of what's the difference between IK and FK (I google it, but even so i didn't get it and testing I see no differences) I just use it cause after moving a red/pink controler i have to change to IK if i want to move a green controler. 

Know that i'm asking a lot of things but i'm a totally noob with this things and tutorials on internet doesn't cover this kind of things. 

Thanks for your time and your patience. 

I'm having problems with IK/FK Switch.

In the middle of animation, for example, I need to rotate shoulders. To do that, I need to press on FK--->IK button (Cause green controlers only can be moved/rotated with IK right) and put "100" on Ik/FK blend. Then i can change shoulder rotation properly.

But the problem is that in some cases (don't know when or why) the position of my arm screw up and i have to restart the animation again. 

I know that i'm doing something wrong cause in the first place i don't have idea of what's the difference between IK and FK (I google it, but even so i didn't get it and testing I see no differences) I just use it cause after moving a red/pink controler i have to change to IK if i want to move a green controler. 

Know that i'm asking a lot of things but i'm a totally noob with this things and tutorials on internet doesn't cover this kind of things. 

Thanks for your time and your patience.

FK is animating in the same way as if you were not using a rig at all. In other words, using just the skeleton bones themselves by selecting a single bone and rotating it.

IK lets you control multiple bones using an IK solver. This automatically solves bone rotation angles based on the end position.

To get an understanding of what's going on, do this as an example:

1. Start a new default scene. Move the male rig out of the way. Unhide Bones_F, NPC L Arm_FK Bones, NPC L Arm_IK Bones. Hide Mesh_Body_F. Now we'll be able to see what's going on in our example.

post-8195-0-63240900-1496468965_thumb.jpg

2. Make sure IK/FK Blend = 0. Select NPC L Hand [LHnd]_IK Ctrl_F and move it to the side. Take a look at the picture. The blue bones are FK bones controlled by the 3 big green circles. Red bones are IK bones controlled by the single pink controller. Grey bones are the actual skeleton bones that will get animated and exported. In the pic, you can see the grey arm bones overlapping the red arm bones.

post-8195-0-05352100-1496468995_thumb.jpg

3. On the IK/FK Blend spinner arrows: click+hold and drag up/down.

post-8195-0-04945900-1496469007_thumb.jpg

Notice the behavior of the grey bones in relation to FK(blue) and IK(red) bones. So as the IK/FK Blend gets closer to zero, the grey bones will correspond more toward the IK bones. And as the blend value goes toward 100, the grey bones will correspond more toward FK. Think of it as a left to right scale: IK (0) <===== 50 =====>FK (100). In the pic above, you can see the Blend value is 50. Meaning the grey bones are being influenced equally by both FK and IK. Play around with both the FK and IK controllers to see what's happening.

IK --> FK switch will move the IK bones to the FK bones' positions. FK --> IK switch will move FK bones to the IK positions. Can't Undo with Ctrl+Z.

post-8195-0-19898400-1496469021_thumb.jpg

The shoulder controls are terrible when I made this rig and didn't know what I was doing. Undocumented but the shoulders actually have both IK and FK behavior.

1. Rotating clavicle controls in FK gets expected results.

post-8195-0-75917200-1496471394_thumb.jpg

2. Rotating the clavicle in IK looks this:

post-8195-0-96842300-1496471816_thumb.jpg

But this isn't the actual result! The actual position of the hand should be where the pink controller is. For whatever reason, the hand's position isn't being updated. Perhaps due to my faulty rigging.

3. However, you can manually update the display by moving the IK hand controller and then press Ctrl+Z to undo the move. This will show the proper position.

post-8195-0-89421400-1496472640_thumb.jpg

I did my animation.

I downloaded 3ds Max 2010, niftool plugin and HCT 2010.2 (x32)

In the exportation, something is wrong cause pop-up the following message:

--- Configuration: Animacion --- 
     Create Skeletons Filter 
        [0xabba44f4] Warning : Skeleton "NPC Root [Root]" has multiple roots.
        [0xabba44f4] Warning :   Extra root found in bone : "Camera3rd [Cam3]"
        [0xabba44f4] Warning :   Extra root found in bone : "NPC L Item01"
        [0xabba44f4] Warning :   Extra root found in bone : "NPC R Item01"
        Root Node Name:NPC Root [Root]
        Num Bones: 242
     Create Animations Filter 
         Animation 
            Length: 56,666668
            Frames: 1701
            Annotation: present
     Extract Motion Filter 
        Motion extracted using 1701 samples
     Spline Compression Filter 
         Compression 
            Number of blocks: 7
            Size of largest block (PlayStation(R)3 SPU): 1188112 bytes.
            Original Size: 26345088 bytes. Compressed Size: 7495200 bytes.
            Compression Ratio: 3,514928:1.
        [0xabba1e5f] Warning : Spline animation may not fit on PlayStation(R)3 SPU.  Try reducing the block size [if developing for PlayStation(R)3].
     Footstep Analysis Filter 
        [0xabba7895] Warning : Up vector has zero length
     Loop Animations Filter 
     Prune Types Filter 
        Removing hkxEnvironment ("Environment Data")
        Removing hkxScene ("Scene Data")
        Removing Resource Data completely.
        Removing 0 mesh attachments.
        Removing 1 Transform and 0 Float  identity binding index arrays from 1 bindings(s)
        Removing 0 skins.
     Write to Platform Filter 
        [0xabba9833] Warning : Could not create file [..\Rigs\Noves animacions\mt_idle.HKX] to write to. Aborting.
    Finished in 01:00:07
I want to cry... it's so close....

I did my animation.

I downloaded 3ds Max 2010, niftool plugin and HCT 2010.2 (x32)

In the exportation, something is wrong cause pop-up the following message:

--- Configuration: Animacion --- 
     Create Skeletons Filter 
        [0xabba44f4] Warning : Skeleton "NPC Root [Root]" has multiple roots.
        [0xabba44f4] Warning :   Extra root found in bone : "Camera3rd [Cam3]"
        [0xabba44f4] Warning :   Extra root found in bone : "NPC L Item01"
        [0xabba44f4] Warning :   Extra root found in bone : "NPC R Item01"
        Root Node Name:NPC Root [Root]
        Num Bones: 242
     Create Animations Filter 
         Animation 
            Length: 56,666668
            Frames: 1701
            Annotation: present
     Extract Motion Filter 
        Motion extracted using 1701 samples
     Spline Compression Filter 
         Compression 
            Number of blocks: 7
            Size of largest block (PlayStation(R)3 SPU): 1188112 bytes.
            Original Size: 26345088 bytes. Compressed Size: 7495200 bytes.
            Compression Ratio: 3,514928:1.
        [0xabba1e5f] Warning : Spline animation may not fit on PlayStation(R)3 SPU.  Try reducing the block size [if developing for PlayStation(R)3].
     Footstep Analysis Filter 
        [0xabba7895] Warning : Up vector has zero length
     Loop Animations Filter 
     Prune Types Filter 
        Removing hkxEnvironment ("Environment Data")
        Removing hkxScene ("Scene Data")
        Removing Resource Data completely.
        Removing 0 mesh attachments.
        Removing 1 Transform and 0 Float  identity binding index arrays from 1 bindings(s)
        Removing 0 skins.
     Write to Platform Filter 
        [0xabba9833] Warning : Could not create file [..\Rigs\Noves animacions\mt_idle.HKX] to write to. Aborting.
    Finished in 01:00:07

I want to cry... it's so close....

Maybe the file path name is too long?

Post screenshot of your HCT settings.

Post your 3ds max scene.

• 2 years later...
  • 1 year later...

i using the 2012 3ds max and still cant make all things works, first try i was exporting animations but they didnt work, because havok tools was getting initialization error on the script.
unknown.png

i was getting this error but was still exporting, but animations wont work in game, them i tried reinstall havok tools for 2012, and start getting this
unknown.png

now i tried another havok tools version and cant create the file idk why, and the path is right and valid
unknown.png

it is much more difficult to make everything work than to create the animations themselves xD
it is very frustrating to be in the mood and want to do things and not succeed because some things just don't want to work, i am a long time trying to find solutions and make things work, its a shame that they dont made more easy ways for everyone to try out some cool stuff, if someone finds way to port them to blender just let me know ^^