Derethevil

• 1 month later...

Hmm, basically an addon to MO sounds like a good idea

Technically this shouldn't be too complex, maybe a similar structure as the Nexus: One table with mod IDs, descriptions and file IDs. Another table with file IDs, file names, the latest version/date of change and the related mod.

Then send the mod and file IDs to LL db, get the version back and compare to your local version. voilà ;)

Costly it would be, definitely. Would cost much time to build up the addon and change the db so it could response to requests.

Sadly I'm not able to program the addon and I don't believe that Ashal would let a stranger tinker that deep under the hood :D

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I think if we integrated something like http://tortoisesvn.net/we could auto-update when new versions are available.

LoversLab already has a GitLab install at http://git.loverslab.com which accompishes the thing.

---

As for ModOrganizer, I've looked into and started working on trying to implement a "Download with Mod Organizer" button for downloads, but due to lack of documentation I more or less gave up and moved onto focusing on other things. Once Tannin finishes the update to MO he's supposedly going dark to work on now, I'll probably reconsider the idea and look deeper into it. Since the assumption is that the update he's working on is going to be pretty different, I see no reason to work on it until then.

I think if we integrated something like http://tortoisesvn.net/we could auto-update when new versions are available.

LoversLab already has a GitLab install at http://git.loverslab.com which accompishes the thing.

---

As for ModOrganizer, I've looked into and started working on trying to implement a "Download with Mod Organizer" button for downloads, but due to lack of documentation I more or less gave up and moved onto focusing on other things. Once Tannin finishes the update to MO he's supposedly going dark to work on now, I'll probably reconsider the idea and look deeper into it. Since the assumption is that the update he's working on is going to be pretty different, I see no reason to work on it until then.

does that gitlab update your mods folders on your desktop?

---

When you pull from the repository, yes. If you aren't familiar with Git, don't expect it to function as a MO/NMM replacement, I mention it only because you mention SVN, which functions similarly as a version control system. 

Git works great with Mod Organizer, where you can keep separate folders for each mod, and thus separate git repositories. There are few mods that make use of it currently however, though SexLab Framework is among them, offering both stable and development up to date builds.

---

When you pull from the repository, yes. If you aren't familiar with Git, don't expect it to function as a MO/NMM replacement, I mention it only because you mention SVN, which functions similarly as a version control system. 

Git works great with Mod Organizer, where you can keep separate folders for each mod, and thus separate git repositories. There are few mods that make use of it currently however, though SexLab Framework is among them, offering both stable and development up to date builds.

Yes, i know git but i've never used it for desktop

is there a list that are on there?

MO is the loverslab mod manager. we don't need managers for every single site. that would be annoying as fuck lolololol. download the shit, click the button click the shit in MO, done. fix the folder structure when it asks you to if the modder was dumb.

unless your name is trogdor *hides* just use MO. 

MO is the loverslab mod manager. we don't need managers for every single site. that would be annoying as fuck lolololol. download the shit, click the button click the shit in MO, done. fix the folder structure when it asks you to if the modder was dumb.

No its not, its the nexus mod manager since you cant directly download onto MO.

that's the point of this program, so that you dont have to constantly search for updates, it updates automatically and informs you when there are updates.

it also saves bandwidth since no one is constantly going back and forth hundreds of threads trying to search for an update or download.

that's the point of this program, so that you dont have to constantly search for updates, it updates automatically and informs you when there are updates.

it also saves bandwidth since no one is constantly going back and forth hundreds of threads trying to search for an update or download.

Therefor MO gives the abilities to build plugins for it. So on the one end we need a database structure on the server where the plugin directly is able to recognize an update of a mod. On the other side we need a plugin that can build itself into MO and has the ability to search in the LL mod database.

So either iP.Board offers an API, that grants programs access to the site data or no one else than Ashal will be able to produce it, because if there is no API, the plugin would need to know the login data to the database and I don't believe that Ashal wants to publish that ;)

In the end it still will be easier to just code a plugin into MO than a whole new manager. The only problem will be the data access imho.

Therefor MO gives the abilities to build plugins for it. So on the one end we need a database structure on the server where the plugin directly is able to recognize an update of a mod. On the other side we need a plugin that can build itself into MO and has the ability to search in the LL mod database.

So either iP.Board offers an API, that grants programs access to the site data or no one else than Ashal will be able to produce it, because if there is no API, the plugin would need to know the login data to the database and I don't believe that Ashal wants to publish that ;)

In the end it still will be easier to just code a plugin into MO than a whole new manager. The only problem will be the data access imho.

GREAT! so, why hasn't anyone made one yet?

i tried to do it myself but cant find any documentation on how to create the .dll

How much server space does LL have?

Can it take more mods than it currently has?

What if the mod creators stop uploading to nexus?

Wouldnt that help ALOT?

Most of the mod creators hang out in #LL chat.

Convince them to move to just LL and we would be the central hub for all mods.

There is a major plus to becoming the central hub for skyrim mods.

The admins here arent Halfwit jackasses like the ones at nexus.

plus this is more of a helpful modding community. Rather than that harsh enviroment.

Couldnt a google cloud, or a ghostbox be used to host files?

thats free storage right there.

I seriously think all do "Most of the mod creators hang out in #LL chat" i'm sure of it not all do hang out there.

What a terrible  and stupid idea would be bad for whole modding community in so many ways.

LL is sex site, nexus is a for all kinds of mods and general public who never visit this kind of sites, if only LL have mod database majority who play skyrim would never see any mod, because they just simply dont want visit a sex site.

Also its good to have kind seperate community one for mainly sex and other for genral populations.

Why you people only say to be popular here saying nexus is crap is beyond me it's sad.

Dumb hate towards Nexus is childish.

Ashal already on many occasion said to stop this bickering towards nexus or lock topics about hate towards nexus because they are two different sites and tow different policy, why can't people get that to there thick skulls be OPEN minded instead of CLOSE MINDED.

I have no problems at all on nexus i know what i can do and do not it's all so simple why you people can't understand this is beyond me.

Grow up.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi there.

Well after i thought through a few things, i somehow came to the idea, that it should be possible for Loverslab to have its very own Modmanager for Mods that are getting uploaded and updatet here.

Since Loverslab has its own "Database", why not make a program that always suggest an update for the mod, if the modder,artist, animator, etc. uploaded a new file to the Loverslab database.

I mean you can search for mods who are uploaded by lets say blabla.

If he now uploads a new version of his body mod, you get a small annotation in the LL-Modmanager, which you can click and it redirects you to the mod.

Maybe even downloads it for you as well, just like the <Put the pooty Sitename here> Mod Manager does already.

As i said.

We have our database. We have people here who really can do magic.

Why not give it a try?

I would go right ahead and try it myself, but i neither do have the knowledge, nor do i have the time for it right now to learn to do it.

Thanks so far for reading this little topic.

See ya.

Derethevil.

Fucking this, i've been wanting this for a while now, manually updating mods can become tedious.

It's only one extra step. Download to your desktop, use you favorite manager to install it from there.

It would be convenient to be able to see update info in the manager, but it's not essential. Just "follow" the mods you like and check LL daily and you'll always know when there are updates.

That's by no means Manually update mods..... you should think about the times before OBMM was released. that's TEDIOUS and HELL, 1 mistake guaranteed you to start again from scratch.

Because I've almost given up modding (for some reason the CK and stuff don't work well for me :D) I have been toying with the idea of making a mod manager for myself, personal use, which was going to function more by actually installing the mods fully from the start to avoid doing the folder thingies of Mod Organizer.

Not because I don't like Mod Organizer - I do and use it myself - but because I lack some sort of project to do in my spare time and well - and this might be a route on the way to get into the modding afterwards.

An update functionality could be a good idea, and I have some ideas to solutions but how to do it without introducing a larger framework for mod deployment is tricky ... maybe I should try something out. The easy way would be something like URL to the mods "original" location and then checking for files with the same name but a newer timestamp. Could work until the mod changed name of course :D

I've been toying a bit with the idea of either making a plugin for MO or make (yet) another mod manager. Goal would be better and easier update / install system. Especially the ability to have grassroot file mirrors and being able to resolve dependencies by itself.

General idea was to have all mods getting it's own special ID (either string from the mod name, some generated GUID, or similar), and have a json or xml file for it with minimal name, version, filename + file hash (for secure download from random mirrors) and perhaps some other fields be required when the details are hashed out - and a bunch of optional fields like homepage, mod author name, description, dependencies, conflicts, email, support link and so on.

Example JSON file, just to give an idea:

{
 "name": "SexLab",
 "version": "1.59c",
 "dependencies": [
    "FNIS=>5.1.1",
    "SKSE=>1.7.1",
    "SkyUI=>4.1",
    "UnofficialSkyrimPatch"
 ],
 "homepage": "someurl/files/file/150-skyrim-sexlab-sex-animation-framework-v159c-updated-oct-3rd/",
 "filename": "SexLabFramework.v159c.7z",
 "filehash": "09DEADBEEF00DEADBEEF",
 "description": "Sex Animation Framework"
}

Now the reason I'm thinking of making Yet Another Mod Manager is because after trying to find any info about the plugins for MO I found zilch docs, and after looking at Wrye Bash and finding it really hard to follow the code or modules, there doesn't seem to be any good one out there to make large / experimental changes to.

If I write my own, it'll be in python and with a modular approach. Biggest problem is that it's a big enough project that if I work alone on it, I won't finish it. I have dozens of half-done projects that have just fizzled out.

So! Anyone here that thinks this looks like a good idea, and have some experience in python? :D

I've been toying a bit with the idea of either making a plugin for MO or make (yet) another mod manager. Goal would be better and easier update / install system. Especially the ability to have grassroot file mirrors and being able to resolve dependencies by itself.

General idea was to have all mods getting it's own special ID (either string from the mod name, some generated GUID, or similar), and have a json or xml file for it with minimal name, version, filename + file hash (for secure download from random mirrors) and perhaps some other fields be required when the details are hashed out - and a bunch of optional fields like homepage, mod author name, description, dependencies, conflicts, email, support link and so on.

Example JSON file, just to give an idea:

{
 "name": "SexLab",
 "version": "1.59c",
 "dependencies": [
    "FNIS=>5.1.1",
    "SKSE=>1.7.1",
    "SkyUI=>4.1",
    "UnofficialSkyrimPatch"
 ],
 "homepage": "someurl/files/file/150-skyrim-sexlab-sex-animation-framework-v159c-updated-oct-3rd/",
 "filename": "SexLabFramework.v159c.7z",
 "filehash": "09DEADBEEF00DEADBEEF",
 "description": "Sex Animation Framework"
}
Now the reason I'm thinking of making Yet Another Mod Manager is because after trying to find any info about the plugins for MO I found zilch docs, and after looking at Wrye Bash and finding it really hard to follow the code or modules, there doesn't seem to be any good one out there to make large / experimental changes to.

If I write my own, it'll be in python and with a modular approach. Biggest problem is that it's a big enough project that if I work alone on it, I won't finish it. I have dozens of half-done projects that have just fizzled out.

So! Anyone here that thinks this looks like a good idea, and have some experience in python? :D

I like dependency resolving idea.  Almost zero experience in Python though. Would be better to have it as MO plugin as there will be no need to reinvent the wheel like file-system virtualization

I don't know much about apt-get program (the Debiah program to manage packages, their dependencies and what not), but it wouldn't be simpler to port that program to Win AND implement unix-or-what-ever-API on server (LL) side? Though, that would require server side modification which must be done on each server, which is problematic..

I like dependency resolving idea.  Almost zero experience in Python though. Would be better to have it as MO plugin as there will be no need to reinvent the wheel like file-system virtualization

I don't know much about apt-get program (the Debiah program to manage packages, their dependencies and what not), but it wouldn't be simpler to port that program to Win AND implement unix-or-what-ever-API on server (LL) side? Though, that would require server side modification which must be done on each server, which is problematic..

I looked at MO, but I'm not any good in that programming language, so I would be mostly useless there. And the source code seemed pretty unstructured (Same for Wrye Bash, which I also looked at), and couldn't find any documentation for it - not even the python plugin option.

I'm tinkering a bit with the high level view of my mod manager idea, and so far the "mod activator" module just gets a list of src, dest pairs of file paths, and it's up to that how it will handle it. I'm thinking of using ntfs symlinks for the first version, perhaps with fallback to a copy module. But it should be rather simple to later expand on that or replace it. I'm focusing on getting something simple and functional for a first pass.

Regarding apt, I've been a debian user for over 10 years now and I'm very familiar with it. To the point where I can create a package or manually install it (as in un-ar the deb and putting things in the right places) if needed. I'm using apt and my experience with it as a vague guideline for where I want to go and what I want to include. As I said, first pass is simple but functional, with a modular approach.

As for porting apt for this purpose, that's a bit like taking a all-terrain SUV and trying to make a race bike from it :D

I looked at MO, but I'm not any good in that programming language, so I would be mostly useless there. And the source code seemed pretty unstructured (Same for Wrye Bash, which I also looked at), and couldn't find any documentation for it - not even the python plugin option.

I'm tinkering a bit with the high level view of my mod manager idea, and so far the "mod activator" module just gets a list of src, dest pairs of file paths, and it's up to that how it will handle it. I'm thinking of using ntfs symlinks for the first version, perhaps with fallback to a copy module. But it should be rather simple to later expand on that or replace it. I'm focusing on getting something simple and functional for a first pass.

Regarding apt, I've been a debian user for over 10 years now and I'm very familiar with it. To the point where I can create a package or manually install it (as in un-ar the deb and putting things in the right places) if needed. I'm using apt and my experience with it as a vague guideline for where I want to go and what I want to include. As I said, first pass is simple but functional, with a modular approach.

As for porting apt for this purpose, that's a bit like taking a all-terrain SUV and trying to make a race bike from it :D

Can you post the link to MO sources please?

Cygwin already has apt-get - http://stackoverflow.com/questions/9751845/apt-get-for-cygwin

> Can you post the link to MO sources please?

http://sourceforge.net/p/modorganizer/code/ci/default/tree/

And I still think apt-get is largely unsuited for this :)

Hum, the code looks very nice. From what I saw, there is a possibility to run Python code, as MO exports its classes into Python

btw,

http://forum.step-project.com/topic/4909-mod-organizer-automation/

http://sourceforge.net/p/modorganizer/code/ci/default/tree/source/plugins/installerBatch/pyBatchInstaller.py

don't know its possibilities or limitations though

From a quick readup that looks like it could work pretty nicely. Thanks for the links and legwork!

I started putting together a "moddb" logic, and looks like it could go pretty cleanly into MO, actually.

There are some questions like metadata storage and using MO's downloader for arbitrary urls (code only shows nexus downloads), but that hopefully shouldn't be a big problem

Archived