Ok, worked. And I have found what the problem was : DD mods install order, I installed DDa first, then DDi, as it is a dependency for DD Expansion, and last DD expansion, overwriting a file that Integration previously installed (I think it is called db1.bat or something like that...).

So, the DD expansion still installs some files that are older than the ones in DD Integration, and that was my problem for this mod not working on first time.

So, installation order will be:

1) Devious Devices assets 2.8.2

2) DD expansion 1.1.2

3) DD Integration 2.8.1 (overwrite when asked)

4) Devious Traps

I hope this helps someone :)

That wasn't your problem (The .bat files are development files that I accidentally left in the last release). They can't possibly effect your game.

The same file b1.dat is in the DD expansion, idk if you´re also the creator of that mod, so maybe it has some use for that mod and not for your Integration?

What I have tested so far says that this mod, traps, works with the b1.bat from your DD, but not with the same file from expansion, so maybe expansion makes use of it ?

Idk, I have no idea about modding xD

I'm the original creator of both. The .bat files are files that allow me to easily compile scripts without going through the CK. They can't have any effect on your game.

for some reason it keeps popping up errors something about devices check log but i dont know where the log is

It means your papyrus log. You need to enable logging in skyrim ini file

then you ll have a txt file with - most likely - tons of spam and among those there would be infos about some errors that happened.

If you have something like this there:

[08/22/2014 - 04:24:22PM] Method GetGenericDeviceByKeyword not found on zadlibs. Aborting call and returning None

[Active effect 1 on (00000014)].AQDT_RuneTrapScript.EquipRandomCollar() - "AQDT_RuneTrapScript.psc" Line 71

[Active effect 1 on (00000014)].AQDT_RuneTrapScript.OnEffectStart() - "AQDT_RuneTrapScript.psc" Line 154

or the same but with "GetGenericDeviceByTags" that means your instalation of DDi does not understand functions which are supposed to choose random device to be equipped on you.

So if it does happen check if your DDi version is 2.81 and if it works properly.

To enable logs and check them

go to my documents\my games\Skyrim

open skyrim.ini in notebook

Find [Papyrus] section

change those 3 lines:

bEnableLogging=0

bEnableTrace=0

bLoadDebugInformation=0

for

bEnableLogging=1

bEnableTrace=1

bLoadDebugInformation=1

save

Run the game and play for a while. Trigger some traps.

Go to

my documents\my games\Skyrim\logs\script

and check papyrus.0.txt

no, you dont need to download anything - papyrus is a scripting language that bethesda used to create skyrim.

Well, i would recommend to download some log parser like http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/30960/? but this thing is only to make your log more reader friendly - its VERY reader unfriendly by default...

Its just that logging is by default disabled, so to make you game create those you need to make some changes in skyrim.ini file.

So I already have so many damn ways to get bound up in my game, almost none of them really affect me anymore...

What would be really interesting and different though, IMO, would be traps that could use animations like the cages, pillories, suspension, etc... and trap the player for a period of in-game time, during which perhaps other NPCs could stop by and rob them or have their way with them. It seems the resources are all already there in the zaz animation pack, judging by mods like "I'll take the display model."

Nice idea, I would also recommend this mod too http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/2653/? which makes the standard traps in the game much more difficult to detect.

Possibly you could just add a random chance to equip a devious item when any trap was triggered either by pressure plate or trip wire? This would then sort 90% of the game in one go rather than having to do each dungeon manually.

Well, that would be quite masochistic as for now those traps work only on players  ;)

Dunno i ll see later if that could be done in a fun way.

Tho i'm not going to put 1000 features into this thing. Tbh i consider this as a tutorial for modding. Got something else in mind once this would reach phase i would consider final.

Anyway .. struggling with MCM atm - should be able to post 2nd difficulty setting and several more dungeons around beginning of next week.

If you have something like this there:

[08/22/2014 - 04:24:22PM] Method GetGenericDeviceByKeyword not found on zadlibs. Aborting call and returning None

[Active effect 1 on (00000014)].AQDT_RuneTrapScript.EquipRandomCollar() - "AQDT_RuneTrapScript.psc" Line 71

[Active effect 1 on (00000014)].AQDT_RuneTrapScript.OnEffectStart() - "AQDT_RuneTrapScript.psc" Line 154

or the same but with "GetGenericDeviceByTags" that means your instalation of DDi does not understand functions which are supposed to choose random device to be equipped on you.

So if it does happen check if your DDi version is 2.81 and if it works properly.

I'm getting this error, from the first trap in Bleak Falls Barrow:

[08/24/2014 - 09:49:58AM] ============================================================

[08/24/2014 - 09:49:58AM] [Zad] (((ERROR))): ManipulateDevice did not recognize device type that it received as an argument.

[08/24/2014 - 09:49:58AM] ============================================================

[08/24/2014 - 09:50:30AM] ERROR: Cannot call HasKeyword() on a None object, aborting function call

stack:

[alias Player on quest zadQuest (0700F624)].zadPlayerScript.OnObjectUnequipped() - "zadPlayerScript.psc" Line 96

[08/24/2014 - 09:50:30AM] warning: Assigning None to a non-object variable named "::temp38"

stack:

[alias Player on quest zadQuest (0700F624)].zadPlayerScript.OnObjectUnequipped() - "zadPlayerScript.psc" Line 96

[08/24/2014 - 09:50:30AM] ERROR: Cannot call HasKeyword() on a None object, aborting function call

stack:

[08/24/2014 - 09:50:30AM] warning: Assigning None to a non-object variable named "::temp38"

stack:

[08/24/2014 - 09:50:42AM] ERROR: Cannot call HasKeyword() on a None object, aborting function call

stack:

[08/24/2014 - 09:50:42AM] warning: Assigning None to a non-object variable named "::temp38"

stack:

Not sure what that means, tbh. I'm using DDI 281, and no probs with other mods (CD, e.g.). How would I check further that DDI is working properly?

For this particular issue i would have to ask Min.

I got this on some of my characters. Thing is on most of them everything works fine.

Those generic functions return random device when called - its like you would ask "fetch me any kind of belt" and then maniputatedevice is supposed to equip it.

For testing purpose i did something i should not do - replaced maniputatedevice with equipdevice and for me it works better.

Try if you can if it works any better for you

oh .. dont mind MCM. for now its just for show  :-/

For this particular issue i would have to ask Min.

I got this on some of my characters. Thing is on most of them everything works fine.

Those generic functions return random device when called - its like you would ask "fetch me any kind of belt" and then maniputatedevice is supposed to equip it.

For testing purpose i did something i should not do - replaced maniputatedevice with equipdevice and for me it works better.

Try attachicon.gifdevioustraps_test version.rar if you can if it works any better for you

oh .. dont mind MCM. for now its just for show  :-/

ManipulateDevice is just shorthand for EquipDevice / RemoveDevice, and only works on devices provided by DDi directly. The GetGenericDevice functions return devices from any mod that has registered them. Thus, if one from expansion, or captured dreams is returned, ManipulateDevice won't know what to do with it.

In the case of your mod, the function you want to be using is ManipulateGenericDevice. This function can look up the proper information to equip / remove your device itself, though is a bit slower than the non-generic equivalent.

Edited by Min

Alright, disabled for now...

My issues:

(1) If a trap detonates and applies something I almost always CTD leaving that instance.

(2) You seem to be lossing control of where your traps can appear (ie I hit one in Pinewatch).

I love the idea though. I'll be keeping an eye on this one.

(1) If a trap detonates and applies something I almost always CTD leaving that instance.

You mean you get CTD when it tries to apply some device on you or when?
If so try to post your log from when that happended.

(2) You seem to be lossing control of where your traps can appear (ie I hit one in Pinewatch).

Did that happen soon after you loaded some save?

I've checked this thing with tes5edit and there is absolutely no changes in Pinewatch, yet.

It changes nothing outside mentioned 3 dungeons and every change it makes is intentional.

Problem is skyrim loves to add various crap to savegame files. My bet is if you trigger a trap and something goes wrong - due to script lag or whatever - and after that you load some save file game sometimes apply trap explosion to that savegame.

I've never seen this happening on normal play through. Only when i was loading some save game that i was using earlier for testing.

To fix that disable mod, load a save and make a new save - it would be fixed. Function that calls for explosion would return none and deactivate.

You mean you get CTD when it tries to apply some device on you or when?
If so try to post your log from when that happended.

Did that happen soon after you loaded some save?

I've checked this thing with tes5edit and there is absolutely no changes in Pinewatch, yet.

It changes nothing outside mentioned 3 dungeons and every change it makes is intentional.

Problem is skyrim loves to add various crap to savegame files. My bet is if you trigger a trap and something goes wrong - due to script lag or whatever - and after that you load some save file game sometimes apply trap explosion to that savegame.

I've never seen this happening on normal play through. Only when i was loading some save game that i was using earlier for testing.

To fix that disable mod, load a save and make a new save - it would be fixed. Function that calls for explosion would return none and deactivate.

The CTD occurs when leaving the instance, not when devices are applied. Like other people here, I occassionally get  that device error

others are getting or nothing gets equiped at all, but these are infrequent for me.

As to Pinewatch. You may be on to something there. I messing around alot with one particular save when the event occured

with the light step talent, the runes will not be setted off.

it is intended?

Trigger is exactly the same as vanilla runes (well not exactly the same as most of my traps have increased proximity trigger range) - so no, light foot does not protect you from it.

You don't even need to step in them, they just need to detect that you are close enough.

Unfortunately sometimes traps fail to initialize properly (script lag again? i dont know). Which means they wont trigger even if you step into them directly - i bet that for some reason they are spawned with some ridiculously low proximity trigger range (if not 0). To fix them they need to be despawned and respawned - but have fun doing so as targeting them in the console is next to impossible and this would have to be done individually for every single trap >.<

I'm planning to make an MCM option that would enable/disable all traps. If i succeed this should fix this issue nicely.

Lets say i would try to make that a priority for 0.3 version.

The CTD occurs when leaving the instance, not when devices are applied. Like other people here, I occassionally get  that device error

others are getting or nothing gets equiped at all, but these are infrequent for me.

As to Pinewatch. You may be on to something there. I messing around alot with one particular save when the event occured

If you have a log from that crash that might help. Because thats plenty strange.

My script activates only when you trigger a trap and deactivates as soon it is done with equiping (or not) device on you.

I've never seen it getting applied to any of my save games and i did alot testing of this.

As for equip error - if it was "manipulate device" error from DDi then it would be fixed in 0.2 that should come soon.

with the light step talent, the runes will not be setted off.

it is intended?

Trigger is exactly the same as vanilla runes (well not exactly the same as most of my traps have increased proximity trigger range) - so no, light foot does not protect you from it.

You don't even need to step in them, they just need to detect that you are close enough.

Unfortunately sometimes traps fail to initialize properly (script lag again? i dont know). Which means they wont trigger even if you step into them directly - i bet that for some reason they are spawned with some ridiculously low proximity trigger range (if not 0). To fix them they need to be despawned and respawned - but have fun doing so as targeting them in the console is next to impossible and this would have to be done individually for every single trap >.<

I'm planning to make an MCM option that would enable/disable all traps. If i succeed this should fix this issue nicely.

If you have a log from that crash that might help. Because thats plenty strange.

My script activates only when you trigger a trap and deactivates as soon it is done with equiping (or not) device on you.

I've never seen it getting applied to any of my save games and i did alot testing of this.

As for equip error - if it was "manipulate device" error from DDi then it would be fixed in 0.2 that should come soon.

There's no log available for those crashes.

I've done a little investigating on my own and found the crash

almost never happens "new games". I have alot of DD stuff on

this installation and I've become convinced it's one of those that

is responsible. I don't think this one's on you at all.

It was the "manipulate device" error..So's I'll wait for the fix.

Ok. For the update.

Decided to cancel 0.2 realease which was only about 2nd difficulty setting, MCM with only 1 option working, and some new dungeons.

Instead would go with bigger update - mainly because of this

aqqh, on 25 Aug 2014 - 12:54 PM, said:

So basically my goal is that next version should be bug proof to everyone as long as their DDi works as it should.

For good news i already know how to do what i want to do so whats left is a "manual labor".

Shouldn't take that long.