[WIP/Animations] Rico's perverted animations corner (Last animation : 03/09/2014)

Rico87

I've had the exact same problem when trying to make an animation.  I'm hoping someone will make a tutorial that simply does the following:

1. shows you how to create an animation of the female arm simply moving up then down.

2. how to export it properly so it animates correctly in game.

3d studio max is such a shitty modeling package.

The problem is converting it for the game engine to be honest.  The rest is actually the easy part :D

Assuming the following:

3DS Max v2010

Havok Exporter v2010

hkxcmd.exe downloaded

XPMS modders resource Max file downloaded

Then animating an up / down arm movement is pretty easy.  It goes like this:

Fire up Max.

Open up the 3DS2009 XPMS 1-6 T-POSE.max file ( from the XPMS modders resource above )

Clean up the skeleton by hiding all the bones you will not be animating. ( optional )

Click on the time configuration button in lower left corner, change to frames and set the end time to 100

Click and drag in the timeline to highlight existing keys and press delete or

Press Ctrl-A to select the entire skeleton then go Animation -> Delete selected animation

Select the NPC R UpperArm [RUar] or NPC L UpperArm [LUar]

Not using IK: 

With one or the other UpperArm bone selected, press the E key to bring up the rotate gimbal.

Change reference co-ordinate system from view to local ( optional )

Press the auto-key button in the lower right corner to enable key setting

Move the time slider to frame 50

Grab a gimbal axis and move the arm.  You'll see that Max has now created a keyframe at frame 50.

Note that Max also created a key at frame 0, which is where the arm was prior to this key.

Since it is a rotational key, it will be green in color.  ( Rotate=green, translate=red, scale=blue. )

Click on the key at frame zero to highlight it.  Hold shift and drag it over to frame 100 to copy it.

( now your first and last frame is identical.  Important for animation loops )

Press the auto-key button to disable it.

Press the play button to watch your arm move up and down. 

Using IK:

With one or the other UpperArm bone selected, go Animation -> IK Solvers -> HI Solver

You will get a dashed line indicating you need to pick the target bone. 

Click on the NPC R or L Hand [RHnd] depending on which UpperArm bone you selected.

Note the blue cross that appears on the target bone. That is your IK goal.

Click on the IK goal and press the W button to activate the translate gimbal.

Move the goal wherever you want.  Note the arm bones follow.

You'll see that Max has now created a keyframe at frame 50.

Note that Max also created a key at frame 0, which is where the arm was prior to this key.

Since it is a translation key, it will be red in color.  ( Rotate=green, translate=red, scale=blue. )

Click on the key at frame zero to highlight it.  Hold shift and drag it over to frame 100 to copy it.

Exporting:

Click on the Havok Content Tools in the upper toolbar. Select export.

Tutorials already exist that explain how to use the Havok Exporter, so I won't regurgitate that info here as it's fairly lengthy and I already have a wall of text going as it is :D

*You will need to use the rig file ( Trivia: The rig file is built by using the hkxcmd.exe tool against the skeleton.hkx file for your actor.  The actual syntax is:  hkxcmd dumplist skeleton.hkx )

The output will be a listing of all the bones in the skeleton the game engine expects to see data for.  All of the bones listed in the file must be present in the Max skeleton and the hierarchy must be correct.  If any are missing or out of order Havok may complain about it, and you'll also likely see the John Carpenter syndrome when you test your animation in game. 

In the XPMS modders resource file, the rig files are included alongside the Max files as they have already done this work for you.  If you plan on animating other actors ( critters ) you will need to run the above command to build the rig file yourself. 

If I get overly motivated ( and I will admit that motivation is in short supply for me these days ) I will make an updated tutorial on the entire process from start to finish. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Wow, the skeever sex looks awesome! I congratulate you on your mighty efforts and hope you can figure out this damned tricky stuff. I will be patiently awaiting your progress. And thanks to all the wonderful helpful modders out there. It's truly a great community.

I think you should follow your heart (or whatever...wink, wink) and make the animations that turn you on! Obviously people dig your twistedness (OMG, dirty filthy rats scurrying about doing nasty sex things, YES!!!). And with how difficult and time consuming these can be, motivation is priceless. Please do keep it up!

Uhmmm, I know you are not yet ready to jump to other animations, but heck here goes an idea, works for wolves or skeevers.

Rape : realism

Female notices she's surrounded, slowly and carefully backing away animation, a skeever bite her left or right boots ot feet, she falls down, hit her back or head, creatures pounces her while the others bite her hand to open resistance and well insert imagination here, damn twisted mind of mine,

Uhmmm, I know you are not yet ready to jump to other animations, but heck here goes an idea, works for wolves or skeevers.

Female notices she's surrounded, slowly and carefully backing away animation, a skeever bite her left or right boots ot feet, she falls down, hit her back or head, creatures pounces her while the others bite her hand to open resistance and well insert imagination here, damn twisted mind of mine,

nice idea ;p

nice idea ;p

I've had the exact same problem when trying to make an animation.  I'm hoping someone will make a tutorial that simply does the following:

1. shows you how to create an animation of the female arm simply moving up then down.

2. how to export it properly so it animates correctly in game.

3d studio max is such a shitty modeling package.

The problem is converting it for the game engine to be honest.  The rest is actually the easy part :D

Assuming the following:

3DS Max v2010

Havok Exporter v2010

hkxcmd.exe downloaded

XPMS modders resource Max file downloaded

Then animating an up / down arm movement is pretty easy.  It goes like this:

Fire up Max.

Open up the 3DS2009 XPMS 1-6 T-POSE.max file ( from the XPMS modders resource above )

Clean up the skeleton by hiding all the bones you will not be animating. ( optional )

Click on the time configuration button in lower left corner, change to frames and set the end time to 100

Click and drag in the timeline to highlight existing keys and press delete or

Press Ctrl-A to select the entire skeleton then go Animation -> Delete selected animation

Select the NPC R UpperArm [RUar] or NPC L UpperArm [LUar]

Not using IK: 

With one or the other UpperArm bone selected, press the E key to bring up the rotate gimbal.

Change reference co-ordinate system from view to local ( optional )

Grab a gimbal axis and move the arm.  You'll see that Max has now created a keyframe at frame 50.

Since it is a rotational key, it will be green in color.  ( Rotate=green, translate=red, scale=blue. )

Using IK:

With one or the other UpperArm bone selected, go Animation -> IK Solvers -> HI Solver

You will get a dashed line indicating you need to pick the target bone. 

Click on the NPC R or L Hand [RHnd] depending on which UpperArm bone you selected.

Note the blue cross that appears on the target bone. That is your IK goal.

Click on the IK goal and press the W button to activate the translate gimbal.

Move the goal wherever you want.  Note the arm bones follow.

You'll see that Max has now created a keyframe at frame 50.

Since it is a translation key, it will be red in color.  ( Rotate=green, translate=red, scale=blue. )

Exporting:

Click on the Havok Content Tools in the upper toolbar. Select export.

Tutorials already exist that explain how to use the Havok Exporter, so I won't regurgitate that info here as it's fairly lengthy and I already have a wall of text going as it is :D

*You will need to use the rig file ( Trivia: The rig file is built by using the hkxcmd.exe tool against the skeleton.hkx file for your actor.  The actual syntax is:  hkxcmd dumplist skeleton.hkx )

The output will be a listing of all the bones in the skeleton the game engine expects to see data for.  All of the bones listed in the file must be present in the Max skeleton and the hierarchy must be correct.  If any are missing or out of order Havok may complain about it, and you'll also likely see the John Carpenter syndrome when you test your animation in game. 

In the XPMS modders resource file, the rig files are included alongside the Max files as they have already done this work for you.  If you plan on animating other actors ( critters ) you will need to run the above command to build the rig file yourself. 

If I get overly motivated ( and I will admit that motivation is in short supply for me these days ) I will make an updated tutorial on the entire process from start to finish. 

Mind me asking about the importation of the other characters (2 NPC's + PC) and how this could change the workflow? I'm curious as to how you would go about that, since I'm really stumped in the importation part of things.

• 2 weeks later...

This thing needs a human-on-human version. I'm thinking like a standing hug-fuck, where the girl'd have her legs clasping the man's torso, she'd be impaled on his dick, head tilted backwards, and the man would be drinking milk from one breast while fondling the other, using the other arm to hold the girl up (hand on ass), later, he would switch breasts and drink from the other. Would give a whole new meaning to "What do you want, milk-drinker?"

Anyway, great job and thanks for contributing to our collective LL perversion

• 4 weeks later...

Well ... I still have all the 3dsmax files of the animations. 

I still have the motivation for the artistic aspect (doing the animation stuff), but technical failure after technical failure, and never seeing something actually making it live, nuked my motivation to get on it again.

IF (but that was already the case), an experienced guy wishes to take on the technicalities, destroy them, and help get one of these in the game, then I could get back to work but until then ... I honestly dont see myself giving 50+ hours into the void, even less now that the university started again.

In short :

- doing animations : yay, even at a slower pace, why not

- solving technical problems : tried and failed

- doing animations not knowing for sure if they will make it into the game? : Without me.

But hey, at least i'm still around, right?

Sorry to let you down guys :( I really need a legendary healer on these animations.

Didn't realize you got discouraged from animating. Really sorry to hear it.

Did you make a batch of animations before confirming your workflow even works? If that is the case, you tried to do too much, too soon.

I remember you tried out my rig. I tried to trivialize a lot of the technical aspects of animating through it (HCT is mostly already set). What technical hurdles stopped you from carrying through?

Well there was a first set of animations :

- Couldn't export because of too many errors, mostly due with me not respecting the x=0;y=0 needs of the root bones. But also with the skeleton, some stuff was weird from the get go.

- Then an animator held my hand to correct stuff that wasn't working

- He said that my work was redeemable, but was nearly as much work as starting from scratch

So ... I started another animation with more knowledge about what not to do :

- The root errors were fixed

- I had still some errors that no one seemed to know where they come from (probably skeleton, not me)

- But i could export

- When the guy from nasty critters tried it in the game it gave the carpenter effect described in these pages

- From there several folks tried to help, without success

My memory is blurry, maybe i tried yet another animation with another skeleton and even more knowledge, and it didn't give something better.

Still nothing made it live.

Probably that if i try with the ressource for modders rig that is on sexlabs, i could make new animation and successfully export. Probably. Yet all that work gone? That hurts. Even more when people seem to enjoy it ... plus, trying yet another time to work with skeevers? Ugh, i would like to try something else someday xD

Anyway :(, if you wish to try your luck at saving the lastest animation i made before giving up (probably the most salvageable one) i would be in your debt, but well, Animating takes time and passion, it's normal that fixing other's people failures/mess is a turn off.

As you said, i did too much too soon, rookie's mistake. But hey, i never pretended to be much more than a rookie, right? :)

Well there was a first set of animations :

- Couldn't export because of too many errors, mostly due with me not respecting the x=0;y=0 needs of the root bones. But also with the skeleton, some stuff was weird from the get go.

- Then an animator held my hand to correct stuff that wasn't working

- He said that my work was redeemable, but was nearly as much work as starting from scratch

So ... I started another animation with more knowledge about what not to do :

- The root errors were fixed

- I had still some errors that no one seemed to know where they come from (probably skeleton, not me)

- But i could export

- When the guy from nasty critters tried it in the game it gave the carpenter effect described in these pages

- From there several folks tried to help, without success

My memory is blurry, maybe i tried yet another animation with another skeleton and even more knowledge, and it didn't give something better.

Probably that if i try with the ressource for modders rig that is on sexlabs, i could make new animation and successfully export. Probably. Yet all that work gone? That hurts. Even more when people seem to enjoy it ... plus, trying yet another time to work with skeevers? Ugh, i would like to try something else someday xD

Anyway :(, if you wish to try your luck at saving the lastest animation i made before giving up (probably the most salvageable one) i would be in your debt, but well, Animating takes time and passion, it's normal that fixing other's people failures/mess is a turn off.

As you said, i did too much too soon, rookie's mistake. But hey, i never pretended to be much more than a rookie, right? :)

Don't be too bummed out.  If you have to do the anims again, it's just going to be that much better now that you have experience.  It's not what you release, it's what you decide not to.

Also, I read somewhere that there are problems with exporting skeever anims.  How about making an extremely simple, robotic anim with another creature so that you can figure out a successful workflow.

Hi Rico

Don't know how you were animating before but if you still have the stomach for it, I've made a video tutorial that walks you through every step of the way. It's only 8 minutes long so not much time investment. I hope it can remove the 'probably' from your statement.

As for all the time spent, I suspect it's because you were trying to animate in full FK mode. You shouldn't need to spend 20 hours for 1 animation.

It seems as though the main cause of your woes is human export, as the critter looks fine (I guess, can't tell what's going on). It's not too difficult a task to recreate an animation, given the proper rig. I've made this quick mock up in under 1 minute using your first animation as reference:

post-8195-0-07819300-1417418657_thumb.jpg

If you can successfully export the skeever animation by itself, it might be salvageable. Even then, I would still move on. Too much negative emotions connected with it. Just looking at it is demotivating. Here's to hoping you stick with animating - just not with skeevers for the time being.

Thanks a lot for the warm words it means a lot, I might give it a shot in a not so distant future. December is out of the question, but january-february might see me comeback for yet another try ... no promises but still probable!

Take care :)

• 1 month later...

As you can see, the result in game is pretty fucking awesome ...

1409858732-msg-394960-0-11748700-1409845

1409858729-msg-394960-0-86299900-1409845

I won't touch another animation until i manage to find where i fuck up, to correct these fucked up points, and have that animation in game. I refuse to keep wasting my time. The problem being that I have no freaking clue how to self-solve my mistakes. I'm currently summoning the old evil gods of ancient times, and maybe i should sacrifice virgins to them so that they answer my devious call.

So it is time. It is time for my army of fans (all five of them!), to wear the stormtrooper costumes i bought and shipped to them (or the half-naked cultist-hooded robes, or both), and join me in that circle ritual. We might not all survive it, but our lives are but means to an end. Should they choose to take some of you as payment, you shall be reborn, more magnificient than ever, as a devious skeever-animation.

Or, we could also abduct virgins ... yaaah ... let's go with the virgins, don't want my fans to get hurt. Anyway, let's hold hands in a candlelit perfect circle, and repeat :

"Oh, great Dayelite, oh all-knowing Groovtama, oh mighty Zaz, might the blood of these virgins satiate your thirst and appease your dreaded anger, answer my summons and share the dark secrets that lurk within your immortal knowledge! Dayelite! Groovtama! Zaz! Dayelite! Groovtama! Zaz! *Keeps repeating the names at an ever-quicker rate* Dayelite! Groovtama! Zaz! Dayelite! Groovtama! Zaz! ..."

I know it, this happens when you change your CHaracter size ingame, or the ankles size, back size or whatever, i had the same problem as my char was too "tall"

this sexlab "grender specific" or "race specific" adjustment works fine, but it doesent work when you changed your body size or the size of a part of your character via RaceMenu or different RaceMenu Slider addons.

then it crunches your character like this ..

Greetings, Khajiirah

Gotta say these ideas certainly sound adventurous and I'd love to see them implemented, helps that they fall squarely within my interests! I'd love to see more stuff with both Skeevers and "milkslaves" (particularly with you being at the submissive end, but I realize that may be a bit harder to make dynamic). I'll definitely be following this topic, you clearly have notable skill with your animations and I hope you find a way to fully realize them. 

Hopefully the future will bring less X-Files-esque merging with the floor like the screenshots above. :P Maybe I don't know what I'm talking about, you seem to be doubting yourself in the above posts and I honestly haven't gone through the topic yet, I honestly don't know much about animation but the idea was clearly there in the original post, and I found that alone impressive. 

Archived