[Tutorial] Mod Organizer - Installation of SKSE v1

Hi guys, I have a question for you.

I have problems with NMM (I already asked, another topic) so if I do not get answers I need this other information for MO.

I have previously installed the mod that included animation with MO.

The mods were installed properly but when I used FNIS to record animations in the game, FNIS not find the animations.

Basically I installed mod properly but without animations.

When using NMM instead, animations are normally found from FNIS

Can you tell me what's the problem?

I have problems with NMM (I already asked, another topic) so if I do not get answers I need this other information for MO.

The mods were installed properly but when I used FNIS to record animations in the game, FNIS not find the animations.

You ran FNIS through MO correct? (launched it). Otherwise it will not see any mods or animations and return clean.

You ran FNIS through MO correct? (launched it). Otherwise it will not see any mods or animations and return clean.

Oh yes, that was the problem. Thank you!
  • 1 month later...

I have no idea if you are a man or a woman...

But I am so happy I could kiss your right now! Many people may have a handle on how to do this but they are HORRID teachers and make things seem like hebrew when they explain it to no pro's. You did not do that. You kept it simple and easy to understand.

THANK YOU!

• 3 months later...

Moderators, please feel free to move this to a better location if needed.

The attached file is a downloadable PDF with photos and a more detailed instruction for those that need added guidance.

The Mod Tutorial – Installation of SKSE

Scope of tutorial:

• Cover the basic installation of SKSE from download to installation as well as load order configuration in MO.
  • This tutorial only covers the installation into MO if you wish MO to control the conflicts with scripts that SKSE installs. ( advised)
  • Still needs to have the correct files installed into the Skyrim folder manually. (everything but the data folder.) Drag and drop into the same folder where you see TESV and "Data" folder.
  • Drag and drop into the same folder where you see TESV and "Data" folder.

Requirements:

It is assumed for this tutorial that you have a functional installation of Skyrim and Mod Manager ( MO ).

Step one: Download

• Download SKSE.  Current version as this tutorial is 1.7.1.
  • Select the 7z archive version
  • For this tutorial I am saving it to the desktop. You can save it anywhere just remember where you downloaded it.

Step two: Installation

• Open MO.
  • Click on the top left icon that looks like a CD. Select that and then click “Open”. You should see the program name to the left of the “Open button”.
  • Now a new windows opens and is giving a warning “No game data on top level”. 
  • This indicates that the structure of the install folder is wrong and MO doesn’t know what to do with it. If it is installed like this SKSE won’t work. We need to make some changes. This is because there are files in the SKSE download that you don't need.
  • One thing I like to do is go to the top drop down menu where you see SKSE and rename it to a name that is easy to remember and manage For this tutorial I am using Skyrim Script Extender (SKSE v 1.07) as the name.
  • Click on the file and expand.
  • Right click on the “Data” folder and “Set Data Directory
  • Now you have a comment on the bottom of that window “Looks good”.
  • Select “OK” button to the right of that and the mod will be installed.

Step three: Fixing the Load order.

• Drag that file up to where you want it or change the "Priority" number to where you want it in the order.

Step four: Use SKSE

• You are now ready to use that tool that you just installed. Make sure you use the “SKSE” option left of the “Run” button.

Step five: Praise MO

• Yea MO!!!!

well tried it with version 1.7.3 and now MO can't find the skse exe. file so it won't run. maybe they your version of MO is different, that made no sense to me :/ 

Going to put it back in the skyrim root folder to make it work again.

It is working for me. I am however using the MO 32bit not the new 64bit MO.

You can also use the drop down and find the SKSE executable and manually add it.

Also if you moved MO from the Skyrim Root folder to somewhere else you need to tell MO where it is.. along with the mods and other files needed for MO to run.

Settings, click Advanced, then find the folders. After you might have to manually setup SKSE.

Just in case.. to be sure... SKSE has to be installed in the Skyrim Root folder with the Data from it installed in MO.

To perhaps clarify a bit what Ritual is saying: just the .dll and exe files in the SKSE package MUST be installed in the official Skyrim folder.

You install ONLY the data-folder in the SKSE package with MO.

Yes.. this tutorial only covered the actual install using MO

The  rest someoen needs to know what to install into the main folder or as Vachnic states above. the"official" Skyrim folder. If you don't do that step.. then MO will not find SKSE as the .dll file will not be available. Perhaps this is what happened? Only did the MO step..

Quote from Above Tutorial.

• This tutorial only covers the installation into MO if you wish MO to control the conflicts with scripts that SKSE installs. ( advised)
  • Still needs to have the correct files installed into the Skyrim folder manually. (everything but the data folder.) Drag and drop into the same folder where you see TESV and "Data" folder.

• 1 year later...

hello,

considering that the guide uses SKSE 1.7.1 and the oldrim SKSE final version is 1.7.3, with a steam installer, which one would you reccomend?

the steam installer or MO installer? would it affect mods or the game in general if i would install SKSE via steam?

4 hours ago, SPQR-TY said:

hello,

considering that the guide uses SKSE 1.7.1 and the oldrim SKSE final version is 1.7.3, with a steam installer, which one would you reccomend?

the steam installer or MO installer? would it affect mods or the game in general if i would install SKSE via steam?

Not really part of this tutorial. However, (if you are asking about STeam installers)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C9oA-nsj4VY

However, if you are talking about SKSE current versions... I would follow the above. Just obtain the files... then have Mo insall it. This way, with any mod or tool, MO is in control. Without it managing through MO wouldn't happen.

• 1 month later...

This tutorial is for MO 1 the 32 bit program... I only know that. However, that being said, everybody is more than welcome to ask about MO equivalent function.

I'd suggest if someone doesn't respond with a good answer for this... then I'd post it in a new thread to get the attention it is needed barring another MO 2 thread that covers this content.

• 1 year later...

How do you deal with crashes? For my part I just did an installation again and I installed 60 mods with mod organizer and LOOT and I generate finished but even with that the game crashes every ten minutes.

I went from vortex to mod orgnazer + loot to follow the installation tutorial to avoid crashes but it's even worse.

I spent another three hours trying to figure it out but nothing to do it after a few seconds. I'm going back on wormholes, it seems more stable. Besides that, they all work, too bad.

52 minutes ago, riheyedi said:

How do you deal with crashes? For my part I just did an installation again and I installed 60 mods with mod organizer and LOOT and I generate finished but even with that the game crashes every ten minutes.

I went from vortex to mod orgnazer + loot to follow the installation tutorial to avoid crashes but it's even worse.

I spent another three hours trying to figure it out but nothing to do it after a few seconds. I'm going back on wormholes, it seems more stable. Besides that, they all work, too bad.

Have you installed the stability tools? You need to get a stable game before you start loading it with mods, regardless of which mod manager you choose.

Crash fixes
https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/72725/

SKSE Plugin Preloader
https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/75795/?

ENBoost (not needed if already using an ENB)
https://wiki.step-project.com/ENBoost

https://wiki.step-project.com/STEP:2.10.0

I made a clean installation I played without mods until rivebois which will be my starting point for my different parties ( I read this on a tutorial here) and then I loaded the mods ( all the modes I downloaded here work) 

It seems that SKse preload solves a lot of problems.

I loaded all the modes at the same time, maybe it's coming from there?

Never used the preloader.

However,

Do I need this and is there any benefit to this?
No! You don't need this unless a mod specifically says you require this. There is no benefit to having this for no reason. At the time of writing this you only need it if you use Crash Fixes mod and UseOSAllocators=1 in the INI file. There is no other reason to use this at all. It allows the mod to make edit to game code before the game has any chance to run that code.

Are people finding it helps with their system. (verifiable) using it outside of using either or both of the above?

Also thanks, I didn't realize this was here. Great! maybe now I can go beyond 180 mods :P (my previous limit) lol

Also, slightly off topic but what is "UseOSAllocators=1" command for?  I don't think I ever used that either. (haven't played with Skyrim in a serious since since like 2016 or sometime after Skyrim SE came out.. Around there.

I think your problem is that you try to start with the sledgehammer method - that does not work. Only a few mods like "Helgen reborn" wants you  to start/activate a mod after playing the game some time. Most wants you to get started at gamestart. For some you have have to wait some time because initialisation can take a few hours ( you will find that in the mod documentation) or you have to start the game configure some mods and have to save and restart with the save - Sanguines debauchery is one of that kind. 

When I start a new game I start with "a new life" alternate start, design the char and start configuring mods, depending on the amount of mods it takes a few times save and restart and even some wait time to get the mods working. But thats not enough - after talking to Mara and checking out  and changing the cell - some mods only start and appear in MCM after that cell change and you have to configure them incl. save/reload(restart). But even if you install the mods from start some have still an option in MCM to switch them temporarely off if you do not want them at that time. 
I experienced crashes myself when I installed / activated many mods all at once, but installing the same mods step by step  with saving the game activating the next mod and restarting and configuring the mod, saving installing the next mod, starting etc. worked. It took only time but no crashes. And btw even texture mods can cause crashes. I got a bad texture and every time I came to Riverwood crash with the message that an object was corrupt. 

But one other thing. You use MO 2 - the left window shows your install order. In some lines you will find symbols - the most important is the flash no matter which color. The flash got a + or a - or both. The flash shows generally a conflict - with a minus it show that some other mod overwrite its files, with the plus it shows that it overwrite files of other mods.  Overwriting can be a problem. For example sexlab includes the papyrus utilities, but an older version. If you have the papyrus utils installed in the install order before sexlab some mods in the install order after sexlab can crash when they can not work with the old version of the utils. 
Check all conflict and the documentaion of the mods depending on the installorder and change that accordingly and btw installorder <> loadorder. The loadorder is in the right window.

You use loot. If you use the full version it will show you confilcts and problems. Some mods can not be used together. Loot will you show an error like "mod x and mod y do not work together and may cause CTD" Check all warnings and error in loot and read the content in the links that loot shows you.

The clean method takes more time than your sledgehammer method but you will get a more stable game.

Thank you for your answer, so I found it, as soon as I stay in town, everything is fine, but I have a crash every other fight.

I'll reduce my mod list to 31 for now.

The + and - I didn't really understand what you said, that we could do in this case? 

I also use, but as indicated in the tutorial, which does not detect any errors.

I even have the basic weapons that lose their texture during the game and turn purple.

I'll try to do as you say.

Still a crash every 30 seconds so I'm going to give up mod organizer and loot and come back to Vortex which was more stable on my side.

edit

I found it.  It was the mod blended road.

Without him it seems stable and without any mods except the ones I took here no crashes.

I found a new party again, the hair behaving strangely. the back party remained motionless but the front party and well it moved forward and her body lay up carrying the cart in the air until it broke apart and the games crashed.

Here are some scren ( I laughed a lot)  

https://ibb.co/wB54pWX
https://ibb.co/LxZ93mB
https://ibb.co/dQvVPFY
https://ibb.co/6F6Rfp3
https://ibb.co/nMx00bq