So has Racemenu "beaten" ECE?

dryuya

You can get the same results from both (or very nearly the same). ECE is simpler, though, and less laggy for me.

I do use both. I have some MO profiles using ECE and some using RM, depending on what race/body mods each profile has (like RM in the profiles using Demonica and SkyKids, for example).

I use ECE, but racemenu has the potential for better results with wider sliders and a couple new sliders entirely. for some reason It made most of my nose shapes look Identical and impossible to work with. I think ECE is much more user friendly and I've made characters I'm very happy with using it, bottom line they are both good, but if you haven't choose one yet I would pick racemenu because a lot of mods require it and ECE isn't supported usually.

ECE will still be relevant until RaceMenu gets a comparable vertex editor. Then it will become obsolete and the only reason to stick with it will be because people like the sleek and organized interface compared to RaceMenu (which is just an inventory window and looks cluttered).

RaceMenu already has everything ECE has, except for the vertex editor (which is actually in beta right now but not close to how it is in ECE yet). So if you don't use the vertex editor, use RaceMenu. If you rely on the vertex editor, stick with ECE till RaceMenu releases one. That is currently the only draw back. RaceMenu offers more than ECE, with the same morphs and everything, just lacks a vertex editor. And of course the organized sleek design that ECE has.

And this is coming from someone who loves ECE.

As a long time Enhanced Character Edit user that hardly ever uses the Vertex Editor, I also find RaceMenu's interface too frustrating to deal with.  In fact, that's the biggest issue I've always had with RaceMenu.

What exactly is frustrating about it? This is why these issues persist, nobody even bothers to suggest an alternative or explain why it's a problem.

It would be nice if someone would work with Expired to revamp the GUI, or come up with an alternative that's similar to ECE's.

So, revert everything, add the HSV directly behind the slider, add a few more buttons, and add an undo panel? This doesn't seem logical. Better to just improve the 'frustrating' parts of it, whatever those are. Nothing in ECE has been drastically changed, it's literally just new stuff piled ontop of the shitty vanilla interface. RaceMenu is coded and designed entirely from scratch, there's nothing vanilla remaining other than some key hardcoded elements.

I admit the current release is slightly frustrating if you use a controller, but the worst parts of it have been fixed for the new version. Particularly regarding changing categories quickly (Since you have to go to the top or bottom). Next version you can just press left/right trigger to scroll up/down and also de-select.

which is actually in beta right now but not close to how it is in ECE yet

Right, it's not supposed to be a single/mirror-paired vertex lag fest.

http://i.imgur.com/zNz9QuY.jpg

I haven't even added the ability to change brush properties yet and it's already magnitudes more usable than ECE's vertex edit.

Want to smooth the chin or cheeks? Use the smooth brush.

Want to fix clipping on brows? Use the inflate brush

The real kicker is you can use it on any race or part (with a valid tri). What can ECE do? ONLY the face, and only human.

I admit the current release is slightly frustrating if you use a controller, but the worst parts of it have been fixed for the new version. Particularly regarding changing categories quickly (Since you have to go to the top or bottom). Next version you can just press left/right trigger to scroll up/down and also de-select.

So it looks like you are addressing most of the issues that I'm having with RaceMenu's interface, such as bettering controller support.  And an undo/redo option would really come in handy.

Undo/Redo will only be available in the Sculpt tab, the rest of the menu isn't designed with everything as an 'action' that holds state. Which is a requirement for doing undo/redo properly.

I may re-code everything as object actions to implement Undo/Redo in the future but I don't have plans to do it just yet.

which is actually in beta right now but not close to how it is in ECE yet

Right, it's not supposed to be a single/mirror-paired vertex lag fest.

http://i.imgur.com/zNz9QuY.jpg

I haven't even added the ability to change brush properties yet and it's already magnitudes more usable than ECE's vertex edit.

Want to smooth the chin or cheeks? Use the smooth brush.

Want to fix clipping on brows? Use the inflate brush

The real kicker is you can use it on any race or part (with a valid tri). What can ECE do? ONLY the face, and only human.

I think I worded that wrong, and I apologize for that. Wasn't meaning you were trying to copy what ECE had or anything.

I've seen the progress you are making with it, and I'm impressed, don't get me wrong. I was just meaning currently RaceMenu has no vertex editor like ECE has. As in, ECE has one. Not that it is better than what you are doing, but that they just have one in general.

Never had any lag with the vertex editor myself or any issues with it. It's always worked for me, regardless of what race I play. From Nords, to Dunmer, to Khajiits, and even SkyKids. Just gotta read the description on the page and edit the files to enable that stuff. Not that difficult when you RTFM.

But I am excited to see what RaceMenu can bring to the table though. As for the GUI, I see nothing wrong with the vanilla look. It's clean and sleek. Easy to navigate and organized well. RaceMenu's GUI always bugged me a bit, cause it felt cluttered to me personally. All those sliders smashed in there gets overwhelming. Especially when there is multiple sliders for the same things. Always had issues scrolling through them all as well. Using my mouse wheel and scrolling down the menu always seemed to activate all the sliders and change their values as I was scrolling. Which in turn always messed up all my settings.

I'm not trying to put down your mod or anything. I get that RaceMenu is far ahead of what ECE can do and I understand that. When your vertex editor comes out and is better than what ECE offers, then yeah, it will be top dog on the market. But the interface of ECE is cleaner and sleeker and easier to navigate in my opinion compared to RaceMenu. That is the only difference really.

But I am excited to see what RaceMenu can bring to the table though. As for the GUI, I see nothing wrong with the vanilla look. It's clean and sleek. Easy to navigate and organized well. RaceMenu's GUI always bugged me a bit, cause it felt cluttered to me personally. All those sliders smashed in there gets overwhelming. Especially when there is multiple sliders for the same things. Always had issues scrolling through them all as well. Using my mouse wheel and scrolling down the menu always seemed to activate all the sliders and change their values as I was scrolling. Which in turn always messed up all my settings.

I'm not trying to put down your mod or anything. I get that RaceMenu is far ahead of what ECE can do and I understand that. When your vertex editor comes out and is better than what ECE offers, then yeah, it will be top dog on the market. But the interface of ECE is cleaner and sleeker and easier to navigate in my opinion compared to RaceMenu. That is the only difference really.

You can filter sliders by name (Though it's confusing because it is filtered by the untranslated name, which can sometimes be nonsense). The sliders shouldn't respond to the wheel when you scroll, it's probably a legacy thing from using an existing slider class, I imagine ECE would likely be vulnerable to this unless that function is cut out, wouldn't be that difficult to fix this, I've never actually wanted to slide using the wheel anyhow. I don't usually try to scroll when I am hovering directly over a slider though, this is really the only way it would happen.

I don't think it's really cleaner at all, unless your idea of cleaner is less visible options. I admit it that the panel takes up quite a large portion of your screen. Restyling it to be a little more transparent around the edges, reducing font size, panel width, and changing the categories from icons to a horizontal text list could probably 'clean' it up, but then it's basically back to the vanilla style.

I was reluctant for awhile, but once I hit a mod that used racemenu that I wanted I had to make the move from ECE.

It's different from when I last compared them, RM seemed to be a lot more barren before. Even though I feel like ECE had some sharper jaw sliders somewhere, from what I see in this thread I'm probably not remembering it quite right.

Either way, if some creative uses of overlays start coming out then I'd certainly side with RM without hesitation, but the rate at which both are changing seems to indicate RM's the overall victor at this point anyway.

Expired... Since you are on the subject of tweaking for controllers.

I have had a bug for a while with RM (since overlays became available).

Bug: If you remap the controller keys for Skyrim they kinda mess up in Racemenu.

The only buttons I change are the jump, activate, and draw/holster weapon (I set jump to a, activate to x, and draw/holster to y).

The problem I see is when I go into the overlay menu both A and X change color.

One controller button is suppose to choose the overlay and the other choose the color (can't remember which does what off the top of my head).

I usually just pop the battery out of my controller, lean over from my recliner and hit the "T" button I think to choose the overlay...

But if that can be fixed I can be an even greater couch potato while playing skyrim...

Expired... Since you are on the subject of tweaking for controllers.

I have had a bug for a while with RM (since overlays became available).

Bug: If you remap the controller keys for Skyrim they kinda mess up in Racemenu.

The only buttons I change are the jump, activate, and draw/holster weapon (I set jump to a, activate to x, and draw/holster to y).

The problem I see is when I go into the overlay menu both A and X change color.

One controller button is suppose to choose the overlay and the other choose the color (can't remember which does what off the top of my head).

I usually just pop the battery out of my controller, lean over from my recliner and hit the "T" button I think to choose the overlay...

But if that can be fixed I can be an even greater couch potato while playing skyrim...

Some bindings can't be rebound because the internal menu has them hardcoded. X is one of these bindings. I should be able to fix the binding for T, it's using "YButton" for controller, but this isn't the equivalent game action for the Y button. Infact I forget what Y even does for the controller, is it Jump?

You can't really get rid of it with the vanilla head, there's not enough vertex resolution, but you can at least move the vertex if you wanted to

Here's more or less what you can mess with using the CitrusHead

so9pUfE.jpg

Smoothing works better when there's more vertices, I still have to add brush resizing, the current brush takes quite a large sample.

I more or less just took a few sec with the smooth brush at it, I really messed up the shape though as the brush is currently too large, and Undo isn't functional yet so I just kept making it worse with the other tools lol.

• 2 weeks later...

You can't really get rid of it with the vanilla head, there's not enough vertex resolution, but you can at least move the vertex if you wanted to

Here's more or less what you can mess with using the CitrusHead

Smoothing works better when there's more vertices, I still have to add brush resizing, the current brush takes quite a large sample.

I more or less just took a few sec with the smooth brush at it, I really messed up the shape though as the brush is currently too large, and Undo isn't functional yet so I just kept making it worse with the other tools lol.

holy hell! polyorgsm! o-o

now i can replicate my gf face as a valentines day gift !

Archived