Rape retaliation

Just something that irks me is after your character gets raped in Fallout, if you try to retaliate it's considered an attack. My character will be standing on the street and spreading her cheeks for a living when one potential customer, after initiating dialogue with them, rapes her. And when I make her give him his come-uppance, usually a .357 Magnum to the leg so he'll walk with a limp for the rest of his life; the rest of the town turns on my character, despite having witnessed her getting raped by this NPC.

Is there a mod out there that can let my character do this, or add some dialogue that can allow me the chance to threaten/intimidate the attacking NPC into paying up, or engage in fisticuffs?

It would be kind of neat to have a dialogue option that's something like this "Any little shit can catch someone off-guard, now that I'm on my feet you should pay up or I'll give you another fuck hole in your skull." and then proceed to take everything they have, or engage in combat.

This has been discussed multiple times and the general outcome has been that the faction system of the game would cause too many issues. Either they keep their factions and so half the NPCs in the game hate you now or you remove their factions and the NPC for whatever reason doesn't get killed, and now you've got a completely factionless NPC running around which can break all kinds of things depending on who they are and what they need to do in-game.

Could it be possible to code or script something that would remove the NPC's faction to neutral, but after (x) amount of time the game could scan for the NPC and restore their faction if they are still alive?

While removing all factions from an NPC is easily accomplished with a single function call, restoring them is not. The only way to do it would be to run a GetInFaction/GetFactionRank check against every faction in the game, save that information somewhere, then after a time manually add every single faction back to the NPC. Now while that might work for the base game, anything that adds new factions to the game (which is a lot of mods, every DLC, etc.) or needs factions added or removed at specific points (a method that has its uses sometimes) will be broken because the mod wouldn't even know the faction existed (to be able to check it then restore it) or the faction may have been supposed to be removed but is now still there and things are screwed up.

I can suggest what I do on the rare occasion this happens in my game. Essentially, I go as if to kill them (maybe wait for them or other NPCs to move away, etc.) but don't. Then I open the console and use the "kill" command then fire a bullet into the ground to count as the one I would have used to shoot 'em. Less satisfying but also less game-breaking. You may also be able to just use "RemoveAllFactions" from the console on the NPC and then shoot 'em.

How about this?

After being raped the player would have the option to attempt an intimidation against the NPC for raping them, if that fails or if you decide to go straight into combat it'll remove the NPC's from their factions, depending on factions (Factions like the Boomers, NCR and etc wouldn't tolerate rape, while Fiends, Legion and Powder Gangers would), the NPC would also be targeted to be killed or deleted automatically if they belong to a faction that would be removed.

This way if you fail to kill the NPC yourself they'll just die after either a set amount of time, or when they're so far from you.

The problem with that is the "or". If you need to do it in case the player goes "straight into combat" then you need to do it immediately after regardless because there's no way to account for that other than to do it every time. Meaning the player may just choose to walk away and the NPC will just fall over dead. Plus either way would cause issues in case a quest-important NPC is involved; while the player killing such an NPC themselves is their fault and their problem, if a mod kills them off-screen because a timer elapsed and that screws the player out of a quest and/or suddenly pops a quest failed message up out of nowhere... Not good.

The problem with that is the "or". If you need to do it in case the player goes "straight into combat" then you need to do it immediately after regardless because there's no way to account for that other than to do it every time. Meaning the player may just choose to walk away and the NPC will just fall over dead. Plus either way would cause issues in case a quest-important NPC is involved; while the player killing such an NPC themselves is their fault and their problem, if a mod kills them off-screen because a timer elapsed and that screws the player out of a quest and/or suddenly pops a quest failed message up out of nowhere... Not good.

No, no. You missed what I was saying. If the player chooses to walk away or to intimidate them the mod wouldn't trigger. It's only when the player chooses to go into combat that it would trigger. Failing the intimidation wouldn't send the player automatically into combat either, it would just give you another chance to enter combat through dialogue.

The intimidation attempt would be just to get the NPC to pony up some caps, or their equipment to pay for their crime.

-----------------------

Also, another idea. What if the game can be told to make a record of the factions list that it can pull from to restore? That could also be done manually in the MCM so the player could update that record if they add a new mod to that save. And what if the game could be told to modify that record every time the faction list is modified.

No, I understood what you were saying. As far as I'm aware (NVSE's documentation is pretty awful) there's no reliable way to see who is fighting who. I can check if the player IsInCombat, and I can check if the NPC IsInCombat, but there's no guarantee they're fighting each other; GetCombatTarget is too unreliable and even when it does work it only tells me if the player is aiming at them in that frame. They could just be turning around and the crosshair happened to be over them when the script ran. That means the only way to account for combat at all in this case would be to do it immediately. And as I said, going into combat doesn't guarantee someone dies and having the mod kill a quest-important character off-screen is a no-no.

As for checking the faction list... There is no such thing to check. Any such list would have to be manually created and maintained and doing so would be literally impossible.

What if everything was handled through dialogue?  You could intimidate, attack, or walk away (begging for more :P or other options would be cool too).  Intimidating could use charisma and have the npc hand over caps.  Attacking could use strength and knock-out the npc so that it wouldn't break quests like killing would.  Failing either could lead too many different (and fun) punishments.  I'm am not at all experienced with modding, but maybe the ideas could be of some use.

I believe it is achievable, but you'd have to learn to mod and do a lot of testing. Some day, NVSE might have a function to retrieve all factions, but there are other things you could investigate outside of factions.

Detect when rape occurs with a sexend script, use a scanner to grab all the NPCs that witnessed it (GetHeadingAngle, GetVATSFrontTargetVisible, GetDetected are all potential). Do IgnoreCrime 1 on them, then reset that to its original state after 10 minutes.

Worth a try.

---

Or make a quest mod that lets you bring justice to them by reporting it to NCR, The King, etc. Player doesn't kill them then, so its easy.

I don't believe IgnoreCrime would be enough because as far as I can tell it won't stop a reputation drop for killing an NPC in a reputation-linked faction. A quest mod would be certainly doable yet it would also be slightly immersion-breaking and lack the direct sense of revenge I think most people would want.

Ignore crime could work, cos you can kill faction members and not loose any reputation with them if you aren't seen killing them. Although I think it would be best to apply that to all surrounding NPC's that aren't immoral, this way you don't get that stray NPC who was just around the corner and didn't witness it; fucking up your life in the wasteland cos they came around the corner the second you blew a rapist's kneecap into several pieces.

Killing or injuring them through dialogue could be a temp fix, if your stats are good enough you can do as you please, rape them back, kill them, give 'em a permanent limp...

Maybe a dialog option depending on weapon skill to pull your equipped weapon as self-defense could work.

NPC: *tries to rape PC*

PC options:

-Defend yourself with equipped weapon (Checks weapon skill, and maybe presence of weapon perks (no idea which ones are applicable) and maybe roll the dice, sucess means that one bullet will be removed from inventory (if using a ranged weapon) and the NPC's head is blown off. Failure results in increased damage as the NPC gets more violent for pacification purposes).

-Struggle (checks Unarmed and presence of perks like Scribe Counter, Khan trick, Ranger Takedown... Success means the guy drops dead.)

-Wait it out.

If all else fails, I doubt that aside from evil factions (like powder gangers or fiends and possibly legion) people would realistically do that in the open in front of eye witnesses, and as such would try to follow the PC to a secluded place (I believe it could be scripted even though no mod do it yet, I may be wrong though). Just wait until his back is turned, then stealth kill him with a silent weapon. AFAIK, stealth kills cause no reputation drop, unless you're talking about a named NPC.

When I played with mods which get my character raped, I usually played that I am too polite to object. Occasionally, I played a character who is boiling with so much rage that taking on an entire faction is just fine.

It might be fun to try other approaches, but ultimately this is just a game and there is only so much we can do with it.

• 4 weeks later...

Just a thought, probably unrealistic but it popped into my head. Perhaps after rape you get a popup "You were just raped! Retaliate? Y N". If you select Yes, then factions are cleared and it's a battle to the death. NPC dies, no problem. NPC wins, game over and it's still no problem. If you select No, then nothing happens. Dialogue closes and you move on with your game.

If I understand the scripting issues correctly, this should make the faction problem simple. If you select Yes, the NPC is removed from factions and boost his confidence to Foolhardy so s/he won't run away. If you select no, nothing happens.

I don't think so.
The next nvse version should come with a function that lists all factions a character's part of and sticks them in an array. A mod for rape revenge could then loop through that, remove the factions, and signal an 'all-clear' to start killing the fucker. Or re-add the factions if you decide to let it go. Ideally, Odessa might be interested in incorporating that in SA.

What if we createds a set of variables to store the faction information?

There should be a way to 1) count the number of the different factions and 2) create variables that will be used for the purpose of storing faction information before the "retaliation" event.

Otherwise, create a large number of "dormant" variables (more than the maximum number of factions could possibly be), go through each faction, record, and then restore after retaliation.

I haven't modded for some time now, and I don't remember the basics :P I'll reinstall NV just to work on this.

It would also require a very clear definition of the retaliation event, so that the system would know when to reassign any stored faction information. That alone is extremely tricky. I was thinking of a new quest, that the player would embark in order to "revenge" the rapist.