Attempting the possible - Sexout for Fallout 3

vpig

Hello All,

Well, this is my first post, so be gentle.:) I have been lurking since last year and have been enjoying Sexout and then SexoutNG. Great work by everyone involved in making these mods.

I have begun trying to port Sexout over to Fallout 3. I am not an experienced modder or scripter and have no clue regarding animations. So, I am not sure what I'm up against, but I feel like giving it a try.

There was another thread exploring the possibility of porting Sexout to FO3 and the consensus was that it would be difficult and most of the active members here would rather work on other things. My hope is that, as I explore the possibility, some of the knowledgeable folks here might be able to offer some advice or assistance.

The approach I'm taking is to fold Rapers into Sexout, so they are contained in one .esp file. I've created separate quests for each and have created all of the scripts, except for two. There may still be a need to go back over some of the scripts but all but two are done and compiled. The two that are not ready are the "00SexoutRapersStalker2" and "00SexoutRapersStalker3" scripts. More on this later.

In-game, my character gets equipped with all of the Sexout items including both books (Sexout and Rapers Handbooks). In GECK, I can see that some of the tokens have users, so it appears that some of the scripts are doing their jobs.

However, I can't bring up either of the books in Pipboy. I know Rapers is not working because of the last two scripts. These scripts refer to, what I assume are idle markers(?)- "SexoutRapersBird1, 2, 3, etc". This where I'm really lost. (I've created the packages that are tied to these.)

Any assistance or advice would be appreciated. I know there are limitations to FOSE vs NVSE. UDLR indicated in one post that he had created NPC's that might crash FO3. I think these "birds" are what he's referring to, not sure. I'm hoping a work-around might be possible where FOSE is not able to do what NVSE does.

One final note to UDLR. I hope this is OK with you. This really for my own enjoyment. If it is a success, I'd be happy to turn it over to you, so you could have control over your work.

OK, that's it for now. Hope I'm not breaking any rules or committing any faux pas. Thanks for reading.

I really recommend you try to convert Sexout (normal or NG) first, without rapers. Rapers is rather complicated and kind of oldschoolish. The birds you're wondering about are how rapers does 'chase markers' and is probably the most complicated part of the whole mod. Basically the birds are continually moved to the target victims position, and the rapist runs towards the markers -- not towards the victim directly.

I myself am not really sure how it all works, I haven't looked at it in great detail.

My advice would be to just get core sexout working and ensure that you can call the sexout scripts from the console and that they work. After that's done, worry about porting specific sexout mods over. I'd start with either SexoutSex or HowAbout as both are fairly simple code-wise.

I really recommend you try to convert Sexout (normal or NG) first' date=' without rapers. Rapers is rather complicated and kind of oldschoolish. The birds you're wondering about are how rapers does 'chase markers' and is probably the most complicated part of the whole mod. Basically the birds are continually moved to the target victims position, and the rapist runs towards the markers -- not towards the victim directly.

I myself am not really sure how it all works, I haven't looked at it in great detail.

My advice would be to just get core sexout working and ensure that you can call the sexout scripts from the console and that they work. After that's done, worry about porting specific sexout mods over. I'd start with either SexoutSex or HowAbout as both are fairly simple code-wise.[/quote']

Yeah I concur here, get Sexout working with something basic like SexKey or Hookups first. Neither of the 2 current versions of Rapers is sorted properly to work with NG yet, so I'd wait till a good update is ready to convert. I don't have any experience pulling apart Rapers, but I'm happy to answer any questions you have if you want to port over Pregnancy.

Thanks for the replies. An thanks, Prideslayer, for explaining what the birds do. It makes a lot more sense now.

OK, I can disable the Rapers quest and try to get Sexout working. I'll have to explore using console commands for testing, though. I've seen references to some of these commands in some of the threads.

Any idea why the book menus aren't working? They are in my inventory, and make the proper sound when I try to access them. But nothing. Of course, at this point I just want to get the Sexout handbook working.

Thanks again. I'll keep you posted on any progress.

No idea why the books aren't working, but they are very fragile to start with, just like MCM scripts. One little mistake and *poof* they don't work.

The SexoutNG thread, first post, has links to a lot of stuff you'll find useful I think, including how to use the console to summon creatures, create and test animations, etc. It's all related to NG and FONV, but the core concepts are the same, as are the console commands -- form IDs for spells and creatures will of course be different.

Thanks Prideslayer. I got the book working. A couple of lines I had forgotten to enable. Basic Sexout menus. The animations don't work in-game. Y, U etc do nothing. But it's progress.

A clueless question: How does the program know where to find the animations? I copied them into the respective Fallout 3 folder. Would they work if I copied them into a bogus New Vegas installation location?

I'll check out the information on the NG thread. Thanks again.

Thanks Prideslayer. I got the book working. A couple of lines I had forgotten to enable. Basic Sexout menus. The animations don't work in-game. Y' date=' U etc do nothing. But it's progress.

A clueless question: How does the program know where to find the animations? I copied them into the respective Fallout 3 folder. Would they work if I copied them into a bogus New Vegas installation location?

I'll check out the information on the NG thread. Thanks again.

[/quote']

They should work fine and be found as long as the entire directory structure, starting from 'data', is preserved.

The locations are set in the GECK and are relative to the data directory (actually relative to the character and creature directories under meshes). If you go to the "Gameplay" menu and then "Idle Animations" you'll open the idle animations control window. Be very careful in there, as it's easy to accidentally drag things around and stuff like that.

Usually before I open that window I save my work, so if I screw something up there, I can quit without saving and start over.

More is explained in the other posts I already mentioned.

Attempting the impossible?

Immediately makes me think of this:

The impossible is possible if you believe the impossible is possible.

[video=youtube]

Unfortunately, that's about all I have to contribute to this.

Well, that and agreeing that rapers is probably not a good place to start, hell, for one thing, would it be just rapers or brutal rapers? As it seems brutal rapers is taking the steps to become the "official" one. Yeah, probably best to just work on something other than rapers for now, for your own sanity. :D

I had a look at the threads that Prideslayer mentioned and there is some good stuff there. I should be able to test anims as soon as I get a bigger problem worked out.

In GECK, under Gameplay, there is no "SexoutAnim" group in the idle animations group, like in my copy of NV running Sexout. The folder (Sex) is in the idleanims folder, where it should be. It looks like I'm going to have to create the "SexoutAnim" group/tree from scratch and point to each kf file. With over 70 positions, that's going to take some time.

I know what you mean now, Nonsense, about sanity!:D Also found an error in the actorscan script- each bug fixed increases the chance of success! Ha.

And unfortunately I can't check out SexoutSex yet because it requires NG. I'm keeping regular Sexout loaded for NV right now to help with this port. It looks very interesting, though.

Thanks again.

That is right, that group (and a few others) were created in the sexout esm and don't exist in the base game. What you've talking about is exactly what had to be done in sexout, though it grew slowly one anim at a time. When I did the reorganization in SexoutNG I did just what you are doing and it was very tedious.

You can probably open sexout.esm (the NV one) in FNVEdit and set the master to Fallout3.esm instead of FalloutNV.esm, and then save it and open it in the Fallout3 GECK. Most of the scripts won't save if you open them due to missing Fallout NV functions and NVSE functions, but it would get you started quicker I think.

If nothing else you could instead:

1. Copy the esm and rename to .esp

2. Remove the ESM flag

3. Delete everything except the idle anims.

4. Set Fallout3.esm as the master.

Then merge it into your fallout3 sexout ESM. This should get all the idle animations copied over ok, but unless you have the items used in the conditions copied or created as well, you'll still have to go through all of them fixing the conditions. It may be less tedious than creating them all by hand.

I had a look at the threads that Prideslayer mentioned and there is some good stuff there. I should be able to test anims as soon as I get a bigger problem worked out.

In GECK' date=' under Gameplay, there is no "SexoutAnim" group in the idle animations group, like in my copy of NV running Sexout. The folder (Sex) is in the idleanims folder, where it should be. It looks like I'm going to have to create the "SexoutAnim" group/tree from scratch and point to each kf file. With over 70 positions, that's going to take some time.

I know what you mean now, Nonsense, about sanity!:D Also found an error in the actorscan script- each bug fixed increases the chance of success! Ha.

And unfortunately I can't check out SexoutSex yet because it requires NG. I'm keeping regular Sexout loaded for NV right now to help with this port. It looks very interesting, though.

Thanks again.[/quote']

Hmm I wouldn't waste your time with porting the old Sexout, I think it's a dead branch and porting any of the NG mods over later will be a nightmare compared to just a few tweaks. Also PrideSlayer and others here can give you more support for NG than the old NV version.

If you get SexoutNG working for FO3 there's probably plenty of people here that may port their NG plugins over for you :)

OK, thank you for outlining that for me, Prideslayer. I've only used FO3Edit to check for load order conflicts. I'll have to learn more about the other uses.

It does sound like an easier way to get the Anims integrated. But, as you mention, I'd have to discover missing conditions, etc the hard way.

I think I'll opt for creating the SexoutAnim group manually. That way, I can encounter each condition/item as they are recreated. Yes, it's going to be tedious, but I think it will mean fewer headaches in the long run.

That's if I decide to stay with this basic Sexout port. Halstrom has raised an issue that I'd like to explore further. I'll go into that in my reply to him.

Thanks again, Prideslayer.

In GECK' date=' under Gameplay, there is no "SexoutAnim" group in the idle animations group, like in my copy of NV running Sexout. The folder (Sex) is in the idleanims folder, where it should be. It looks like I'm going to have to create the "SexoutAnim" group/tree from scratch and point to each kf file. With over 70 positions, that's going to take some time.

Thanks again.[/quote']

Hmm I wouldn't waste your time with porting the old Sexout, I think it's a dead branch and porting any of the NG mods over later will be a nightmare compared to just a few tweaks. Also PrideSlayer and others here can give you more support for NG than the old NV version.

If you get SexoutNG working for FO3 there's probably plenty of people here that may port their NG plugins over for you :)

Thanks for this input, Halstrom. The reason I chose basic Sexout over SexoutNG was that I thought that NG functions were beyond FOSE's capability.

I guessed that this could also be a factor for the basic Sexout port, but that they might be fewer and easier to work around.

Do you think that it's possible to port SexoutNG to FO3? Could you indentify some of the obvious areas that would be trouble, or impossible?

See? You've opened a can of worms for me.:D I would, of course, prefer as close to NG functionality as possible. That would require porting the MCM over, as well. Is that possible?

Any further ideas on this?

Thanks again.

Most of the NVSE stuff that SexoutNG uses is present in FOSE. There may be one or two things that aren't but if so, they aren't really important. There is no NVSE documentation -- all of it is FOSE documentation, so we mostly only use FOSE commands.

What's more likely are missing core commands in the GECK. The wiki has a list of all the stuff added to the GECK in New Vegas here. If that list is complete, then there's nothing to worry about; NG doesn't use any of the commands on that page.

Most of the NVSE stuff that SexoutNG uses is present in FOSE. There may be one or two things that aren't but if so' date=' they aren't really important. There is no NVSE documentation -- all of it is FOSE documentation, so we mostly only use FOSE commands.

What's more likely are missing core commands in the GECK. The wiki has a list of all the stuff added to the GECK in New Vegas here. If that list is complete, then there's nothing to worry about; NG doesn't use any of the commands on that page.

Thanks, Prideslayer. Well, that completely changes things. Looks like I'm starting over.:D

How would you recommend I go forward from here? Should I follow the "automated" approach you mentioned earlier? Or should I build manually, as I've done so far?

There was mention earlier of some NVSE script commands that may be problematic. Any thoughts on these?

Thanks again.

How would you recommend I go forward from here? Should I follow the "automated" approach you mentioned earlier? Or should I build manually' date=' as I've done so far?

There was mention earlier of some NVSE script commands that may be problematic. Any thoughts on these?

Thanks again.[/quote']

My thoughts would be to port all the messages and quests etc over to a FOSE version of GECK, then open the scripts one by one and see where they don't recompile and make adjustments to the commands and asset tagging as you go through each script using Notepads "replace" tool then paste back into the original script. Make a list of all the non compiling commands first so you can find out if there are any showstoppers before getting too deep.

Hals plan sounds spot on to me. I honestly don't expect any of the scripts to not compile, but you're going to have to test them all anyway. The only script commands that might be NVSE specific are MessageEx, MessageBoxEx, DebugPrint, and SetDebugMode. Those are the only ones that might not be in FOSE, I think.

Very good, Halstrom. Thank you. And thanks for the specifics, Prideslayer. Pointing them out is definitely helpful.

I spent a good part of yesterday converting SexoutNG (Sexout.esm) to FO3, so I could open it in FO3 FOMM. Then I copied over the groups, as Prideslayer had mentioned. I left out some of the groups, as recommended on a nexus forum thread about converting mods.

FO3Edit raised hell with the weapon group, so I deleted it and things were better. Still had some problems with ammo and some NPCs. Probably shouldn't have brought the NPC group over.

Of course there was no functionality, but doing it this way did save a lot of labor. Unfortunately the game started freezing up.

Going to start over with the latest version of SexoutNG. I think my Fallout 3 is now corrupted, so I have to reinstall.

Any recommendation on which groups to bring over from SexoutNG? I don't mind having to create some objects or NPCs etc, if it means less headaches with FO3Edit.

Thanks again.

Just loading the ESM won't corrupt the game, something else must have done that.

These are the ones you "need".

- IDLE. The idle animations definitions.

- ENCH, SPEL. Spells and their base effects. Easy but tedious to recreate.

- SCPT. The scripts.

- MISC. Misc items, the tokens like 00SexoutActor, etc.

- QUST. Fairly easy to recreate if you can't get them imported.

These are the others that you might "want" if you can get them. Delete them if they cause problems.

- GLOB. Globals. Only three, easy to recreate if they don't import. Anal, Vaginal, Oral. Just convenience settings. Without these you'd do "set sexout.sextype to 1" instead of "set sexout.sextype to vaginal"

- ANIO. Prop animations. You can delete these if need be, they just do things like add the penises to creatures and stuff like that. If you delete them they are easy to recreate in the GECK.

- ARMO. The bodysuit is in here (M and F are one item), and the masturbation vibrator. Safe to delete in

- NPC_. Creatures. These will almost certainly not import correctly since they reference FONV base forms, not FO3 base forms. Not needed except for testing. Easy to recreate.

- EXPL. Explosions. The cum effect, not important, just a visual effect.

- FLST. Form lists. Without these, you'll have a ton of script errors. These are used in almost everything, from callbacks to creature lookup. They hold all the sound effects as well. If FO3 doesn't have form lists (and it may not), then callbacks and other "special features" of NG will not work.

Thanks for the specifics, Prideslayer. This will save me a lot of time. Yes, FO3 does use form lists, so that shouldn't be a problem.

I haven't converted the file into an .esm- won't that keep me from being able to edit it in GECK? I figured the conversion would require GECK.

Thanks once again for your help, Prideslayer.

I promise to do a fresh install of NV, add the latest NG files and see if I can help out with some testing. :rolleyes:

The standalone geck powerup for FONV allows direct ESM editing, but I haven't tried it yet. The NVSE version doesn't add that feature, and since it's working perfectly for me otherwise, I'm not going to mess with it. I don't know if the FO3 version of PowerUp adds that feature or not.

If it doesn't then you have to leave it as an esp when working on it. My normal work pattern is this:

1. Hack on Sexout.esp in the GECK until it's time to test.

2. Save Sexout.esp, leave geck running (minimized).

3. Test manually in game with sexout.esp and no sexout mods.

4. If tests fail, go to step 1.

5. Copy sexout.esp to sexout.esm.

6. Fire up FNVEdit and change sexout.esm to an actual esm.

7. Test again in game, this time with sexout mods running.

8. If tests fail, go to step 1.

9. Release! (well mark as done in NG thread, post #2. Release after doing this a few times for different features / fixes.)

Oh FNVEdit and FO3 edit can work on an ESM or an ESP, I didn't get what you were asking.

What you'll want to do is copy the sexoutNG sexout.esm to sexout.esp, open it in FNVEdit, turn off the ESM flag, hack the master name (FalloutNV -> Fallout3), and save it.

Then copy the ESP from your NV directory to the FO3 directory, and open it in FO3Edit. Right click it and check for errors.

Decide which errors you can fix in the geck, and which ones you want to say "fuck that" to. For the "fuck that" ones, delete the items either in FO3Edit, or in the geck.

Okay, that's a great step-by-step outline. Very helpful!:D

Well, this is looking doable. I will have to reinstall though. FO3 is freezing consistently. Starting with a fresh install will be good.

Well, I'll let you know how it goes. Thanks once again, Prideslayer, Halstrom, and Nonsense for making me feel welcome. :)

Archived