Does sexlab destroy your save?

TheTeaWizard

I've used sexlab a few times, each time it seems to end in my save being no longer playable due to CTDs and other errors.

I really like the mod and I'm considering using it on my current account, but really don't want to mess it up.

is it messing up because of other mods? too many mods? that kind of stuff, or is it just scripting messing up?

or have they fixed this in a newer version (been 2-3 months since I last used it)

really would like to know, any help is appreciated, cheers.

No, if your game is being blown up, it's probably other script intensivem ods you have installed.

SexLab itself does absolutely nothing to your game. It's the mods that use SexLab that have the potential to blow up your game. (Which is why you should avoid or use Alpha or beta mods with caution)

Try using Save Tool to clean your game from bad and orphaned scripts.

http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/52363/?

It also depends on what kind of CTD you are running into.

A crash on load or infinite loading screen are two common issues caused by script heavy mods. If that happens to you, prepare a save game for a new character fresh out of the character creation menu (better yet, use Alternate Start) and load that game first before loading your usual game.

Are you crashing in the same spot all the time? at random? when you do something in particular?

A crash on load or infinite loading screen are two common issues caused by script heavy mods. If that happens to you, prepare a save game for a new character fresh out of the character creation menu (better yet, use Alternate Start) and load that game first before loading your usual game.

Are you crashing in the same spot all the time? at random? when you do something in particular?

Not getting infinite loads, but the crash on load was definitely the one I was having, and it only started after using it for a while.

Whilst using sex lab I basically had to load another save that hadn't had sex before, every time I wanted to load my save, and it got kinda annoying, is this the only way around it? except starting again and watching it happen again, because in that case it would be unlikely I would get past level 30.

Using memory patcher anyway, my game literally never crashes, and I've been using it this way for a good 35 hours of gameplay, over 2 months or so (stopped then started again)

Going to try the save game script cleaner, as that may clear my save up for sex lab, worried if it's safe or not though?

Not getting infinite loads, but the crash on load was definitely the one I was having, and it only started after using it for a while.

Whilst using sex lab I basically had to load another save that hadn't had sex before, every time I wanted to load my save, and it got kinda annoying, is this the only way around it? except starting again and watching it happen again, because in that case it would be unlikely I would get past level 30.

Using memory patcher anyway, my game literally never crashes, and I've been using it this way for a good 35 hours of gameplay, over 2 months or so (stopped then started again)

Going to try the save game script cleaner, as that may clear my save up for sex lab, worried if it's safe or not though?

It's completely safe, it only removes scripts that have been orphaned (scripts that have been left behind my uninstalled mods)

Well, I've been using it for debugging and regular gameplay and it's worked perfectly for me.

Also make sure if you have an ENB that you have the memory settings set correctly, and get a good block size set up for the skyrim memory patch. If you don't get good settings on those you will crash on load.

Which mods should I remove though? not 100% sure which ones are script heavy.

One easy way to decide which ones are script heavy is to look for mods that add unorthodox spells to the game, trigger animations or effects when specific conditions are met, or keep track of non-vanilla stats of the mod's creation.  Examples of each might be Apocalypse (many scripted spells that have a variety of effects), sexlab itself or other such animation mods, or things like Frostfall or Hunterborn.

If it has an MCM menu with a bunch of varying options, there's probably a good chance it uses a few scripts.  Replacers and other simple stuff like that would be fine.

Which mods should I remove though? not 100% sure which ones are script heavy.

One easy way to decide which ones are script heavy is to look for mods that add unorthodox spells to the game, trigger animations or effects when specific conditions are met, or keep track of non-vanilla stats of the mod's creation.  Examples of each might be Apocalypse (many scripted spells that have a variety of effects), sexlab itself or other such animation mods, or things like Frostfall or Hunterborn.

If it has an MCM menu with a bunch of varying options, there's probably a good chance it uses a few scripts.  Replacers and other simple stuff like that would be fine.

Ok so it might get to the stage where I have to choose between which scripted mods I want, because I love apocolypse ... will have a look anyhow, thanks for the help mate.

I have started and played many new saves and seen save game bloat and it is never one mod.  It is the super slow papyrus system combined with multiple mods.  I run a lot of script intensive mods and to start a new game I have to install the heavy mods five to ten at a time.  otherwise they time out before they ever correctly install.  This by itself can lead to CTD and bloat long term.  Also when you install a mod you need to give the scripts time to run.  If you don't you get save bloat.  I find that saving in Vlindrell hall works very well.  I can usually load from there but not always.  The Dwemer ruins seem to be less intense for loading.  Some of the biggest known offenders are Frostfall, Realistic Needs and Diseases, Better Vampires, Wet and Cold (I don't agree with this one being script intensive), and I am sure Sexlab Arousal since it polls.  One thing to do is go into the MCM menus and reduce polling as much as possible. 

Also among everything everyone else said, if you create a save in a cell where there isn't much going on, or won't have to call on scripts, you can on occasion load that first and then load your most recent. As far as I understand this helps with the initial games load and can allow you to keep playing. I usually keep a save inside Helgan Keep, that is if your not using an alternate start.

Although you should take everyone else advice as well because its all good stuff.

Archived