What really pisses you off? please no posts about nexus lol

On 04/04/2018 at 12:39 AM, Cynical Misanthrope said:

EVEN IF YOU COULD, WHY WOULD YOU WANT TO?! BEING GAY IS AWESOME!

23 hours ago, TheWhite said:

Uh, for some reason I got the impression you were female :smiley:

In Sweden every man and woman are legally obligated to do 610 days of Military training :smile: (At least in theory, in practice, the Army can only afford to train a fraction of that, so it’s still pretty much voluntary. Around one fifth of the Swedish Armed Forces personnel are women though! So, safer to not make assumptions ?)

CECC78B8-A68E-4B42-ADF8-688999A75979.thumb.jpeg.739ce9431115dca7f35af86327b7979d.jpeg

BD8CE386-2EB9-49B6-A9E4-65DBCFC5F392.thumb.jpeg.5a317e3aad7531c92741c5e870bb41a4.jpeg

When someone assumes my gender............I'm kidding. I get confused for male all the time. What actually ticks me off is when people don't know enough about history, but then talk about opinion like it's an factual statement. Like, it bugs me really bad when people think their opinions are facts. =.=

26 minutes ago, TheWhite said:

Ah. I know some countries have this for women aswell. Didn't know Sweden was one of them. But as you said since it's "pretty much voluntary" I take it it doesn't happen that much to be well known outside Sweden.

Well. According to the Army, they had 20,000 people Volunteer last year, 13,000 men and 7,000 women. So a minority, but quite a significant one :smile:

It doesn’t appear to be well known outside of Sweden, but then again, people only seem to care about Sweden when they want to argue about immigration lol

796D11EB-178E-4403-8A63-CAF7F0F54514.jpeg.f890597c4f205c4cf4130249c1ab3045.jpeg

Women from the Swedish Women's Voluntary Defence Service training with pistols, 1943

10 hours ago, Norraya said:

Well. According to the Army, they had 20,000 people Volunteer last year, 13,000 men and 7,000 women. So a minority, but quite a significant one :smile:

It doesn’t appear to be well known outside of Sweden, but then again, people only seem to care about Sweden when they want to argue about immigration lol

796D11EB-178E-4403-8A63-CAF7F0F54514.jpeg.f890597c4f205c4cf4130249c1ab3045.jpeg

Women from the Swedish Women's Voluntary Defence Service training with pistols, 1943

I'm mad at myself for not knowing enough about history, like vtfeticher said. It takes some revisionist with a new book or movie to make me wonder.

And I'm wondering, right this second, what happened in 1714 and 1729?

Or is that just school work?

I'm so confused...

12 hours ago, 2dk2c said:

I'm mad at myself for not knowing enough about history, like vtfeticher said. It takes some revisionist with a new book or movie to make me wonder.

I'm so confused...

I have been obsessed with history since I was eight years old. Studying history is my favourite hobby. My dad is a historian, my grandfather is a hardcore history buff, and my aunt's husband is a professor in this stuff. Every single male family member I have above the age of 30 has served in the military. So it's hardly surprising that I became obsessed with Military History, lol

The USA around 241 years old. My home country, Sweden, is around 1048 years old, and England is around 1,100 years old. The Roman Republic was created around 2500 years ago, the Pyramids were built around 4000 years ago, and the Assyrian Empire was created around 4500 years ago.

Humans have lived on the Earth for around 100,000 years or so.

Don't feel bad for not knowing what happened at any given date. Human history is so large and so complex that it's impossible for any one person to be able to list something that happened in every single year. More stuff has happened than we will ever know, that's just the inevitability of history.

On the specific topic of what happened in 1714 and 1729, I was thinking about two trials that happened in Sweden. There is a weird phenomenon that no one has been able to explain, but for some reason, during the first half of the 18th century, we have several accounts of a woman dressing up as a man, joining the army, reaching the rank of officer, marrying another woman, being discovered, and being put before a trial, plead the exact same defensive case, and got a weirdly lenient sentence.

Like, it isn't surprising that there are accounts of women dressing up as men and joining the army, but it is truly bizarre how such a specific string of events happened so many times in a row in just a few decades.

Idk, it just amuses me lol

Parents,

I don't answer the phone much anyways, being mute makes them kinda pointless to me, at most I can growl or grumble down the line. Moved from the homeland of Merrie England to the Frozen North, out o' contact wi' damned near anyone back in the olde country, so it'd be nice if'n they occaisionally called to check yer alive or just to see how things're going. They don't, they call when they want something, always. If'n I get a text or an email from 'em I don't answer with a "Hi mum," I answer with "How much?"

Ate 3 or so different types of beans today and now can't even be in the same room with myself and it's really hard to play a game when your eyes are watering and your nose hairs are burning off. :classic_angry: And these are not small ones here and there these are big ones one after another that would blow the door off if I closed the door. Might be repainting the walls after this. Hell I might have to get a nose transplant as well.

The way YouTube has resorted to throwing everything at me as "Recommended" in a desperate attempt to get something to stick. Especially when I go out of my way to mark videos as "Not Interested" when they have nothing to do with the video I'm watching and I've repeatedly clicked "Not Interested" on similar or identical videos or whole channels.

Folks who use the same hackneyed, tired, and/or unproven arguments over and over to support their position on something. Worse still are those who cite studies that have been proven flawed, phony, outdated, or even nonexistent. Worst of all are those who cite the bullshit, get called out on it by someone with a smartphone who can prove it's bogus, and resort to screaming and sticking their head in the sand as a rebuttal. Which includes damn near every priest, preacher, politician, and other demagogue that's ever existed.

27 minutes ago, Ernest Lemmingway said:

Folks who use the same hackneyed, tired, and/or unproven arguments over and over to support their position on something. Worse still are those who cite studies that have been proven flawed, phony, outdated, or even nonexistent. Worst of all are those who cite the bullshit, get called out on it by someone with a smartphone who can prove it's bogus, and resort to screaming and sticking their head in the sand as a rebuttal. Which includes damn near every priest, preacher, politician, and other demagogue that's ever existed.

This.

A certain branch of closed minded, hrmms, won't name 'em, prolly counts as hate speech an' against the rules or somethin'.  One of those offshoot ones that seem to spring up in the colonies across the pond every now and then. They've managed to dig their claws into my grandfather and drag him back into the fold when no one was lookin', after it took him so long to get away from 'em when he was younger. So now they're into his lifestyle, they're into his friends, he shouldn't talk to this guy he's of the woooooorld, they're telling him whats safe to watch, whats safe to listen to, whats safe to browse online, they're into his wallet.

Gramps damned near saved my life once upon a time. I made a lot o' septims too fast and too young and being young and stupid couldnae think of anything better to spend it on than alcohol. Didnae become a total dependant alcoholic, but I was bloody close, I was a wreck, when yer wake up and find yerself sat in a circle o' empty vodka bottles, n a hotel room you don't remember booking, in a country you've never heard of and can't remember how the hell yer got there? Yea, that kind o' wreck. Was me grandpops who dragged me in when no one else gave a damn and straightened me up again, if'n he hadn't, I'd prolly be dead, I'dve drowned myself in Cap'n Morgan by now. I'd take a bullet fer him, I'd kill fer him. And now I'm hearing he's been preyed on by vultures who follow fairy tales written by some stone age Isrealite and stick their fingers in their ears and clamp their eyes shut whenever yer show them how fucked up and wrong their ideas actually are.

Seriously tempted to fly back to the UK fer a weekend, wait for them to turn up and then ward them off for good.

4 minutes ago, The First Lady of Hats said:

<snip>

Try living in a part of the country where they ruled for over a century and still like to think they rule. Separation of church and state be damned when they can get the politicians to believe as they do. Only now the people are electing politicians they would (and do) excommunicate on the spot. Like an openly lesbian mayor of the state's capital city. I've never seen such denial, or heard such vitriol when they can't deny it, before. Sad part for them is, the mayor wasn't a fad but the beginning of a wave. Dear gods! They're being dragged kicking and screaming into the Twenty-first Century!

As funny as it is to watch them cry and wail, it's still scary since they're part of a religion that advocates Doomsday Prepping. Including, unfortunately, the stockpiling of guns. When the zucchini bread, visiting teachers, missionaries, and "gentle peer pressure" fails, they may just jump from the soap box to the bullet in their efforts to avoid change.

Guessin' thats Utah?

Hreh. 's Why I like livin' in the norselands now, folk here mostly don't give a damn untill they pull something bloody stupid then they get stomped on an git a swift slap upside the head.

There's still actually buggers out here that worship Odin. Not sure I'd fit them wi' the crazies though, they're mostly nice folk, and they actually understand logic, science an' reason.

Finally someone guesses! And you're right.:classic_sad: GET ME OUTTA HERE, TABODI!

Branch Davidsons were the only other text thumpers I could think of that stockpile guns an' they're all dead, had to be Joe Smith's bunch :tongue: Never understood their fascination wi' guns, in the UK if you wanna get a heathen out of your yard you use the gentleman's weapon, a rolled up newspaper, bonus points if it's the Times or the Guardian they have the "Informative" enchant that does +1 damage to the ignorant.

Branch Davidsons were the only other text thumpers I could think of that stockpile guns an' they're all dead, had to be Joe Smith's bunch :tongue: Never understood their fascination wi' guns, in the UK if you wanna get a heathen out of your yard you use the gentleman's weapon, a rolled up newspaper, bonus points if it's the Times or the Guardian they have the "Informative" enchant that does +1 damage to the ignorant.

Actually, a lot of mainstream Mormons stockpile food, water, and other survival necessities because the LDS Church tells them to "in case of emergencies." Sound advice, really. Except that so many add guns and ammo to the list. If it was just the FLDS or the survivalists I wouldn't be so worried. It's the ones you don't suspect that cause the worst problems.

On 4/20/2018 at 10:27 PM, Ernest Lemmingway said:

Actually, a lot of mainstream Mormons stockpile food, water, and other survival necessities because the LDS Church tells them to "in case of emergencies." Sound advice, really. Except that so many add guns and ammo to the list. If it was just the FLDS or the survivalists I wouldn't be so worried. It's the ones you don't suspect that cause the worst problems.

Now tell them that they will all die. That is the best Moron repellent I can think of. Humanity might somehow survive til the end of the world but the sun is going to burn up the earth as well as any and all documents that we have ever existed. The cowboys and their rifles should sit this one out unless of course they want to die early not that I would have something to do with that or anything. *Opens a bag of popcorn*

7 hours ago, Darkpig said:

Now tell them that they will all die. That is the best Moron repellent I can think of. Humanity might somehow survive til the end of the world but the sun is going to burn up the earth as well as any and all documents that we have ever existed. The cowboys and their rifles should sit this one out unless of course they want to die early not that I would have something to do with that or anything. *Opens a bag of popcorn*

I know that. A lot of them are hastening things along by not believing in birth control. What good is enough food and water to feed four for months going to do when you're spreading it across a dozen mouths? It makes me wonder if they plan to use those guns to go the Donner Party route... :classic_ohmy:

My left kneecap has felt loose for years. Turns out that's what a trick knee is. Now it's starting to hurt when I stand on my left leg. Only my damn insurance won't pay for corrective surgery. What they will pay for is...a cane.

7 hours ago, Ernest Lemmingway said:

My left kneecap has felt loose for years. Turns out that's what a trick knee is. Now it's starting to hurt when I stand on my left leg. Only my damn insurance won't pay for corrective surgery. What they will pay for is...a cane.

HA! A cane? Really? Insurance sure knows how to screw people over.

On 4/5/2018 at 3:53 PM, 2dk2c said:

I'm so confused...

History is a great subject because it's very narrative and systemic. You don't need to know "this man - because it's always a man - did this in this year" to get the whole plot. It's more about "during this period, this country was going through this struggle and that impacted their relationships with other countries in X, Y, and Z ways". And then it ripples out from there. 

The narrative form of history is, of course, also why it's so ripe for misinterpretation and use to advance political agendas. In studying history, just be aware that everyone has a bias, and there are so many more stories that are not being told. Use multiple sources. Here's a few YouTube series I've liked.

World history, simplistic overviews

US History, same

WW1, in-depth week-by-week and overall just amazing

I also binged all of Khan Academy's US History content when it came time for me to do US History in school. This has been my off-topic "Must! Promote! Knowledge!" moment.

On-topic I think what pisses me off the most right now is 'being chronically underpaid.' 

What pisses me off? Political Correctness setting its sight on The Simpsons.

One fucking guy...a failed comedian...complains and the whole fucking planet jumps to ban Apu.

Nah...Hindu 7-11 owners. It would NEVER happen. Nor would white guys be as drunk and stupid as Homer...

/rant