Creating a semi-transparent "tights" texture?

Graphnee

So I have decided to dive head first into the world of Skyrim modding (I have made small ventures into modding before, mostly reskinning cars in Assetto Corsa and GTA, where the texture maps are already created and layed out nicely), and I've been experimenting with some lingerie and this is so far what I've come up with:

untitled1_by_5aliiim-d7o9u5w.png

The reference images for this are:

untitled_by_5aliiim-d7o9tq4.png

As you can see the material isn't very concealing ;)

I am hoping that someone who has created similar mods for Skyrim or Oblivion will share his/her secrets when it comes to creating this type of texture. I have basically no working experience with *neatly* UV unwrapping objects, and zero experience with creating textures of my own (outside of putting a duck's face on the bonnet of a car...)

Ta Daaaa

showroom_ferrari_599xxevo_1_4_2014_21_48

Thanks in advance for any help.

To make something semi-transparent get yourself the freeware called gimp http://www.gimp.org/ you will need to get the .dds plugin for it so that it will be able to load up .dds files. Drop in the texture file with the .dds don't mess with the ones with n.dds and so forth as those are for something else. You will also need nifskope so that you can render it in it and see how it will look like.

First make a copy of your texture file so that you have a backup. Render the outfit in nifskope. Next drop the one that you are working with into gimp lasso the area that you want to make semi-transparent then select the eraser change Opacity to anything but 100% at 100% it will erase everything I usually start at 10 change the size of the circle to a bigger size if you need to now hold down the left mouse button and move it over the area till you have hit it all. *Note* there needs to be a complete body under the outfit/armor otherwise you will have a holey body showing under the outfit/armor. Go to file go to overwrite texture file and select it. Go to nifskope right click the part that you are adding the semi-transparency to and go down to node - attach property - NiAlphaProperty now what you did show up in nifskope. Look at it if you like it great if not go back to gimp click edit and use the undo option then overwrite texture file to change it back and then repeat. You can also use the technique to cut pieces of a outfit/armor out of a texture file to remove it.

To make something semi-transparent get yourself the freeware called gimp http://www.gimp.org/ you will need to get the .dds plugin for it so that it will be able to load up .dds files. Drop in the texture file with the .dds don't mess with the ones with n.dds and so forth as those are for something else. You will also need nifskope so that you can render it in it and see how it will look like.

First make a copy of your texture file so that you have a backup. Render the outfit in nifskope. Next drop the one that you are working with into gimp lasso the area that you want to make semi-transparent then select the eraser change Opacity to anything but 100% at 100% it will erase everything I usually start at 10 change the size of the circle to a bigger size if you need to now hold down the left mouse button and move it over the area till you have hit it all. *Note* there needs to be a complete body under the outfit/armor otherwise you will have a holey body showing under the outfit/armor. Go to file go to overwrite texture file and select it. Go to nifskope right click the part that you are adding the semi-transparency to and go down to node - attach property - NiAlphaProperty now what you did show up in nifskope. Look at it if you like it great if not go back to gimp click edit and use the undo option then overwrite texture file to change it back and then repeat. You can also use the technique to cut pieces of a outfit/armor out of a texture file to remove it.

Brilliant, thank you.

I like to draw the texture first with full opacity and then right-click the layer and Add Layer Mask + Show Layer Mask so I can draw directly to the alpha channel.

When you export the DDS check "Generate Mipmaps" and use DXT3 or DXT5 compression(the latter for highest quality alpha).

Archived