Vertex points in blender 2.49

Guest LogicFoxX

Guest LogicFoxX

Okay, so, my last question, and the last thing I'm stuck on is is nifscripts working correctly with blender. When I import a femalehead.nif, the original has 996 vertex points but when I import it in blender, it has 874 vertex points.... this is what has been causing all my issues :\ How do I fix this? It also changes to 1056 vertex points after exporting, completely wrong :|

• 4 weeks later...
Guest LogicFoxX

I used 2.49b, it is the nif scripts. Now that I have  learned a lot more about Skyrim's file system, the only way to accurately maintain vertex's is to use the latest nif scripts with 3ds max. In my current mod Foxy Skyrim, I must edit the face vertex points but maintain the original vertex points for mod compatiblity. Unfortunately, the vanilla head meshes were very poorly done. It makes me wonder if Bethesda didn't bother to hire a professional modeler. The female face has 996 vertex points, when imported with blender it has something like 870. This is because, whatever program they used, created about 80 double vertexes. They also had edges not connected behind the ear. When importing with blender scripts, it tried to fix these with autosmooth enabled and auto weld verts (or, in other words, merge verts). Fortunately, 3ds max edited nif scripts, on the nexus, allowed the option to import with out auto welding verts, or auto smoothing. It is now possible to use 3DS Max to import the .nif and export a .3ds without the skeleton. This is the best way to maintain every vertex point, even the duplicates. Then, blender can import the .3ds, in Blender 2.7 (whatever your preference) and export as an .obj file, so that 3ds may import that when returning to a .nif

Most people don't realize this because they create proper meshes, and their meshes are a completely separate item from the vanilla game, like custom races, custom armor, custom bodies, and custom weapons. It is not necessary for them to maintain the horrible double vertexes and missing edges for their mod to work properly. So, this made it difficult to find the answers I was looking for.

(long write up is for anyone who is struggling with the same issue)

Archived