:dodgy:

Well.. we did see it coming...

Problem is I made that upperbody push up with uhh... "unorthodox" methods...

using mirrors, cutting a bit here, putting a bit of glue there... welding vertices in the UV map to ensure mesh texture continuity...

Long story short, when messing with bodies at that level, results may be alright, but it has a way of becoming incompatible with bodies which have been "fixed" and "sanitized" by the SetBody team

It's not that the body is messed up, from what I see in game it works as good as any other, but it's not "compatible" with SetBodies

In my experience, when this happens, the lattice generation process becomes corrupted

BUT... 

From the pic you show, it seems at least the shape looks somewhat correct, which is THE MOST IMPORTANT thing here in my opinion.

Having a correct shape, even if it has a little clipping leaves only one single easy step to do, which in Blender, is an absolute piece of cake; that step, is correcting the clipping manually.

pfff... 

Tedious but easy enough.

Mi knowledge of the conversion tools is as limited as the lifespan of a fried potato at a birthday party, but give me a file in Blender and I can make it my own personal riding pony

Do you know how?

If not, I can easily describe the process for anyone interested in doing it...

Mi knowledge of the conversion tools is as limited as the lifespan of a fried potato at a birthday party, but give me a file in Blender and I can make it my own personal riding pony

Do you know how?

If not, I can easily describe the process for anyone interested in doing it...

Dam wish I had more time or procrastinated less. .. anyway not too interested in learning how to create one own riding pony but fixing a few clipping issues would be interesting.. However I would have to take a rain check on that until later. Perhaps you will still be working on a few items when I can and have oblivion loaded. (my nemesis :)) if so in exchange for some training I could do some of the tedious work.. maybe not as good as you can but get it closer.. ;). Sort of an internship.. :P.. anyway that would be far off in the future.

I guess I discounted that tool too soon. I knew it left some cliping expecially between vastly different bodies but if the shape is correct and a few quick steps in Blender can easily fix that . (tedious is ok for my work) then perhaps I might have to re-look at this. There isn't a month that don't go by in any game where I find an awesome armor but find terrible clipping with current body etc.

Yes, the shape is pretty much dead on. It's only in certain areas where it doesn't line up with the underlying body mesh and you get peek through (or is it poke through?).

That also kind of explains what I was experiencing with the conversion of all of the FemArmor-UnReasonableFlavor-45241 for darkbrotherhood to other body sizes. (Yes, I did say all of them; hours a day for 5 days, conversions and run through Mesh Rigger for BBB.) Some came out really fantastic and no clipping or in areas I could care less about. Others were a "WTF is That God Damn It?!!! 

I was going to suggest (if I didn't do so already) those push-ups be done in Blender, maybe using gerra6's Python scripts to assist with it. The thing is, once you build up a full body and lattice library for a given body set; HGEC, it speeds up production tremendously. I now have that for HGEC for the gerra6 Python Stand-alone tools; AA through Manga full bodies, with lattices, along with some variations based on older HGEC meshes like Colourwheel's and Krista's MODs. What used to take me part-time hours over a few days or weeks, I can now do in an hour or two.

To go from HGEC to ZKEC, definitely Blender is the way to go IMO, unless some brave and intelligent soul has figured out a lattice (or set of lattices) for that.

One last note on the Convert Clothing.bat. There is a Customize Mesh button & feature and I have yet to use on anything cause I have no idea what its function is. It may have potential in cases like this.

Dam wish I had more time or procrastinated less. .. anyway not too interested in learning how to create one own riding pony but fixing a few clipping issues would be interesting.. However I would have to take a rain check on that until later. Perhaps you will still be working on a few items when I can and have oblivion loaded. (my nemesis :)) if so in exchange for some training I could do some of the tedious work.. maybe not as good as you can but get it closer.. ;). Sort of an internship.. :P.. anyway that would be far off in the future.

I guess I discounted that tool too soon. I knew it left some cliping expecially between vastly different bodies but if the shape is correct and a few quick steps in Blender can easily fix that . (tedious is ok for my work) then perhaps I might have to re-look at this. There isn't a month that don't go by in any game where I find an awesome armor but find terrible clipping with current body etc.

Think I could do a small "tutorial" or more like a tip guide to different ways of dealing with clipping... I don't know for other games, but at least for Oblivion its simple. Just need the basics of importing/exporting correctly and the basics of modeling... vertex grabbing, sculpt tool, subdividing vertices and using animations to see how the model behaves are just about it

That also kind of explains what I was experiencing with the conversion of all of the FemArmor-UnReasonableFlavor-45241 for darkbrotherhood to other body sizes. (Yes, I did say all of them; hours a day for 5 days, conversions and run through Mesh Rigger for BBB.) Some came out really fantastic and no clipping or in areas I could care less about. Others were a "WTF is That God Damn It?!!! 

Dark Brotherhood? Really?

Weird... these are mostly unchanged, except for a little nipple flattening I did on some of them

But perhaps that's enough

Sure, any alterations, especially to UV Mapping is bound to have odd results when using the Setbody Resources as templates AND UV Search in both Make Lattice.bat and Mesh Rigger.bat. The later one I almost always have UV Search turned off as it simply doesn't work with mismatching UV Maps and you have to use strictly Vertex Index Searching. If the originating body is even slightly different than SetBody I turn it off for Make Lattice.bat too. Just wasted processor cycles.

@ritualclarity

You can also fix minor clipping with the use of nifskope without the use of blender it all depends on where the clipping is and how much clipping there is. Clipping on arms inside of the legs and feet can not be fixed in nifskope. But the rest of the areas can be done easily in nifskope.

Right click the item that is clipping and go to transform - scale vertices you will get a little box with X Y Z. I only mess with X and Y. Do not change the 1 unless you want clothes big enough for the staypuff matshmellow man to wear. Instead use the 2nd 0 after the . each 0 after the . makes smaller and smaller adjustments the farther right you go.

This picture has minor clipping on the butt.

post-25667-0-17530700-1430701024_thumb.jpg

This picture is after adding a 1 to the 2nd 0 spot after the . and as you can see the clipping is gone.

post-25667-0-18504200-1430701121_thumb.jpg

X is for tweaking clipping on the sides and Y is for tweaking clipping on the back and front.

You can play around with them to see how they work as long as you don't save you can just keep reloading the nif. Back up a nif you are going to play with before tweaking just in case something gets screwed up you can revert back.

Also be aware that sometimes X Y and Z can be mixed up and instead of tweaking what it's suppose to it tweaks a different one instead. I have seen X and Y before that X tweaked Y and Y tweaked X instead of Y tweaking what Y is suppose to tweak and X tweaking what X is suppose to tweak so make sure to watch out for those ones. 

Think I could do a small "tutorial" or more like a tip guide to different ways of dealing with clipping... I don't know for other games, but at least for Oblivion its simple. Just need the basics of importing/exporting correctly and the basics of modeling... vertex grabbing, sculpt tool, subdividing vertices and using animations to see how the model behaves are just about it

That could be very useful to everyone provided you have the time. I am sure that others could possibly even chime in for added info on other games if there are any differences.

@ritualclarity

You can also fix minor clipping with the use of nifskope without the use of blender it all depends on where the clipping is and how much clipping there is. Clipping on arms inside of the legs and feet can not be fixed in nifskope. But the rest of the areas can be done easily in nifskope.

Right click the item that is clipping and go to transform - scale vertices you will get a little box with X Y Z. I only mess with X and Y. Do not change the 1 unless you want clothes big enough for the staypuff matshmellow man to wear. Instead use the 2nd 0 after the . each 0 after the . makes smaller and smaller adjustments the farther right you go.

This picture has minor clipping on the butt.

This picture is after adding a 1 to the 2nd 0 spot after the . and as you can see the clipping is gone.

X is for tweaking clipping on the sides and Y is for tweaking clipping on the back and front.

You can play around with them to see how they work as long as you don't save you can just keep reloading the nif. Back up a nif you are going to play with before tweaking just in case something gets screwed up you can revert back.

Also be aware that sometimes X Y and Z can be mixed up and instead of tweaking what it's suppose to it tweaks a different one instead. I have seen X and Y before that X tweaked Y and Y tweaked X instead of Y tweaking what Y is suppose to tweak and X tweaking what X is suppose to tweak so make sure to watch out for those ones. 

What's this "nifscope" thing people keep talking about.. :P

I got to get off my green ass and setup these tools properly so that I can at least see some examples and get better ideas. I have basics of many things but the fine tuning is where I run into problems.

Anyway thanks for the quick example to fix

Iwas playing around before and I think I had that experience where x, did something I didn't think it should etc. Might have been an example of what you stated. It was a long time ago before I had some memory and hard ware issues on my computer and actually did have some stuff set up. I though it was me and didn't go farther.

I always keep backups... that sometimes is a problem.. ;). If you get my drift..

• 3 months later...