Now updated to be craftable in game! They vials can currently be made in the Jewelry section of the Tanning rack. All items will require at least one dragon bone, and the other ingredients are dependent on what type of tail to be made. There are no crafting restrictions as of yet. I also removed the "ClothingRing" keyword since that seems to have conflicts with a certain ring limiter mod dependent on keywords.

Old info and list of item IDs here:

Here's a proof of concept mod/resource for equip-able, HDT-Physics-compatible, dragon tails for most (if not all) playable vanilla races. So far, the .esp enables the items, but they are only obtainable in-game by use of the console commands.

This was really a random side project I shouldn't be working on, but did anyway. I figured it would be a nice match to have lizardy-moving tails to compliment the Animated Dragon Wings by Anton (especially if there's a need for special spaded tails for a certain succubus mod...). I really should get back and work on the Naked Giants mod though (I need to figure out how to make the SoS offset .hkx, then I'll be one step closer to an updated release)...

---

Instructions:

Here is how to obtain the items at current:

1. type 'help "dragon tail"' and Enter to find the items.
  2. key, by default (where '##' is the mod list order number):
    • (##0012cc) 'Dragon Tail'
    • (##0012cd) 'Ancient Dragon Tail'
    • (##0012ce) 'Blood Dragon Tail'
    • (##0012cf) 'Frost Dragon Tail'
    • (##0012d0) 'Elder Dragon Tail'
    • (##0012d1) 'Odahviing Dragon Tail'
    • (##0012d2) 'Paarthurnax Dragon Tail'
    • (##0012d3) 'Skeletal Dragon Tail'
    • (##001837) 'Alduin Dragon Tail'
  3. type 'player.additem ######## 1' (where '########' is the complete item number) and Enter to put the item in the inventory.

New update now includes other beast-related tails--You can search them up by name or equipt them directly with their item numbers:

1. type 'help " tail"' and Enter to find all the tail-related the items (keep the space before the 'tail', and use the Page Up and Page Down keys to scroll through the list).
  2. key, by default (where '##' is the mod list order number):
    • (##002dd1) 'Argonian Tail'
    • (##002dd2) 'Tinted Argonian Tail'
    • (##002dd3) 'Khajiit Tail'
    • (##002dd4) 'Tinted Khajiit Tail'
    • (##002dd5) 'Fox Tail'
    • (##002dd6) 'Snow Fox Tail'
    • (##002dd7) 'Wolf Tail'
    • (##002dd8) 'Black Wolf Tail'
    • (##002dd9) 'Red Wolf Tail'
    • (##002dda) 'Skeever Tail'
    • (##002ddb) 'Venomfang Skeever Tail'
    • (##002ddc) 'Mammoth Tail'
    • (##002ddd) 'Cow Tail'
    • (##002dde) 'Horse Tail'
    • (##002ddf) 'White Horse Tail'
    • (##002de0) 'Werewolf Tail'
    • (##00436a) 'Tinted Horse Tail'
  3. (alternatively) type 'player.equipitem ########' (where '########' is the complete item number) and Enter to add the item in the inventory and automatically equip it to the player character.

---

Requirements:

• HDT Physics Extension v11-10 or higher (it is optional, but without it, you'll get stiff tails since they are not pre-animated!)
  • Latest version of Skyrim

---

Notes:

The mesh assets should use vanilla paths for the textures, so if you have any texture replacers, they would also affect how the tails look in game. The tails should have their own custom bone chains, so no special skeleton is required. Like the HDT Large Hoop Earrings, sometimes the physics can randomly spazz out. I cannot replicate a pattern to know what exactly is causing it, but I would assume it can be modified by adjusting the values in the .xml file. Collision was not thoroughly tested, so they have been disabled by default. You are also welcome to tweak the .xml to your liking.

What I observed is that having the physics tied into a chain (at least with Motion_Spere_Inertia) will have a higher chance of glitching out than binding the physics to just one joint and having that move the mesh (like boobs and butts are currently handled). This makes long chains for tails and hair a little bit harder to refine, especially with so much the machine needs to calculate in real-time. So in effect, if your character is in small rooms with little clutter, the physics should work fine, but in larger rooms and especially on the Skyrim outdoor environment, since so many things are loaded, the tail physics will have a higher chance of glitching out where the physics computation randomly hiccups. Again, this is just my direct observation from constant testing and tweaking.

By default, the tails should align to CBBE bodies, but I assume it can fit other bodies as well--if the alignment is off, you can tweak the position of the tail if you are mod savvy enough (only the bone coordinates of the first file set, "_0", will be used--if the bone coordinates are different for the "_1" weight, it will not affect the position--at least from what I've experienced). The tails are visible for both male and female models, though the tails were primarily made for females, so most may not fit proper on male bodies.

Also keep in mind that the textures are all linked to vanilla textures to keep the file-size light. If have installed mods that have texture replacers, they will affect how these tails look in-game. The hairs on the 'Cow Tail' and the 'Tinted Horse Tail' will be brown when equipped, but are able to change colors to match the player character's hair color when the character's appearance is altered--either by 'showracemenu', on file load when the character is being built (item must already be equipped when the file was last saved), or by some other appearance changing mod. When the item is unequipped and re-equipped, the color will revert back to it's default brown. The 'Tinted Argonian Tail' and 'Tinted Khajiit Tail' will adopt the same skin tint as the character.

Sorry I didn't provide an easier way to access the items (like a drop, store, or spell), but I figured other modders may want to do that specifically. As for permissions, any interested modder is welcome to expand on this and even integrate any or all of the mod assets into their own mods if they like. Credit is appreciated but not necessary.

Update (2014-Aug-22):

Removed a keyword to all tails and made them craftable at tanning racks. No clean saves or anything, the Form IDs should be the same, so the tails you currently have should remain in game. Not sure if the tails will need to be unequipped and reequipped to refresh the Keywords list though, but that shouldn't be too much of an issue. If there are any problems, like certain tails not showing up, do let me know!

Past Updates:

Update (2014-Jun-12):

It seems turning the gravity to 0 only resets it back to 1 upon save/load, so that change was ineffective, though I did make some other minor changes in between that helped with the jittery glitches. Added tails from other races, animals and creatures. Please take screenshots and post them here if possible!

Update (2014-Jun-04):

Dragon tail collisions are still disabled by default and adjustments were made to the .xml. I zero'ed out the Gravity for the physics and that seemed to fix some jittery effects, but not sure if the problem is resolved completely. Also, the .esp now contains some keywords (tough still not sure how to manually change the tail icons when viewed in the menu) and visibility is enabled for Dremora races (I forgot they were humanoid too).

Update (2014-May-27):

Dragon tail collisions are now disabled by default, so if you have collisions active, you won't get instant-jittery tails. They can still be reactivated, but need to be fine-tuned to react with collider objects and collision boundaries better. Added Alduin tail to complete the vanilla set of tails.

---

And finally here's the download!

Download:

Download for the main mod.

hdt_dragon_tails.zip

Alternate Downloads:

Other related downloads can be found here.

Alternate Mesh Replacer:

No .esp and no item numbers. Replaces vanilla Argonian and Khajiit tails only (Vanilla placement. Main mod is not required, but can be used together.)

hdt_beast_race_tail_replacer.zip

Alternate Mesh Replacer (Higher Placement):

No .esp and no item numbers. Replaces vanilla Argonian and Khajiit tails only (Higher placement. Main mod is not required, but can be used together.)

hdt_beast_race_tail_replacer_cbbe.zip

Mesh Replacer for Kaleen Race:

Replaces tail meshes of the Kaleen Race with HDT_PE-compatible ones. Requires the Kaleen Race mod by nouserhere and all its' prerequisites.

hdt_kaleen_tails.zip

Alternate Dragon Tails (Thin Dragon Tails):

Requires the Main mod. Replaces all dragon tails in this mod with skinnier variants.

hdt_dragon_tails_thin_replacer.zip

Alternate Argonian Tails (Bigger Argonian Tails):

Can be used for either or both the main and replacer mods. Replaces all Argonian tails in this mod with thicker variants.

hdt_bigger_argonian_tail.zip

Alternate XML Pack #01:

Intended for the main mod, but can also be used separately with the replacer version as well. Minor alteration by adding a slight ragdoll physics function to the base of all tails.

hdt_tail_xml_alt01.zip

Alternate Khajiit Tail XML (by ShadowsandDust):

Replaces the Khajiit tail .xml for less floaty and spazzy movements.

Download and details can be found here.

Alternate ESP (Ningheim Race Compatible):

Requires the assets from the main mod. Enables compatibility for the Ningheim race. Requires the Ningheim Race Mod by Seren4XX HelloSanta Urshi and co, and all its' prerequisites (make sure the race .esp is loaded before the tail .esp).

hdt_esp_ningheim_race.zip

May be updated in the future if there is a need for it!

---

Sample Images/Screenshots:

post-173734-0-04566700-1401244278_thumb.jpgpost-173734-0-57236600-1402781399_thumb.jpgpost-173734-0-03375300-1409108815_thumb.jpg

post-47567-0-73230000-1402849945.jpgoCAiMVU.jpgzQQNSpn.jpg

---

Thanks for looking and feel free to post any bug reports, screenshots, or anything else that's related!

Hmm... looks interesting, and especially perfect for something like the dragon wing mods over at the nexus. Question, though: What Biped Object Slot do the tails use?

It should be the Tail Slot (Slot 40)--so if you were to apply this onto Khajiit or Argonian races, it should swap out their current tail's visibility for this one.

For some reason the tails spin out of control and spazz out whenever I put them on. I have all HDT collision options enabled and working already. Could that be the reason?

That could be the issue. Again, I haven't thoroughly tested collisions, so I cannot say how well they work. But you can edit or disable collisions by using the Just For Fun Tool. If you think you or anyone else can come up with a more compatible version, I can link and/or update the tails to better suit collisions.

I haven't had any other reports relating to collisions with the tails yet, so thanks for bringing it to my attention.

anyone have a picture of these?

I just added some sample images on the main post. Feel free to check it out.

Also, updated the mod to include an Alduin-shaped tail and to disable collision information by default (it can be reactivated, but it should be tweaked to play nice with collisions).

Hope this helps!

Mine seem to have collision enabled and spaz out even while collision appears to be disabled in the xml.

Hm, I am unsure why the spazzing still happens with or without collisions... I know the temporary fix would be to un-equip and re-equip the tail for the physics to reset itself. When I have the time, I will try to tweak with the .xml some more to get rid of the tail spasms.

For now, just double-check which version of HDT_PE you are using (I haven't transitioned to the latest version yet, so I am unsure if there could be a conflict there)--I am currently using the version 2014-02-22 (the latest version before the separate MemPatch was added). If you do your own .xml tweaking, you are welcome to post it here with all the necessary details and that could be helpful for others with similar issues.

Almost have every color but black. Can't be true Succubus without color black. Might well wear yellow tail with pink and black. :o

Enough joking around, good job with dragon tail side project.

The Alduin Dragon Tail should be kind of black-ish... or rather it is gray with the vanilla textures. You can either replace Alduin's textures or open up the .nif file and link your own custom texture to one/some/all of the tails if you like.

Thanks, I'm glad you like it!

---

As for the Khajiit and Argonian tails, I will see. If and when I do, I may make it a separate standalone mod from this one. However, I am aware that b00marrows has been working on physics tails too, so if you want to try that one out for the meantime, if you haven't already.

It seems I'm also having the spazzing out jittery tails as well. I mean really spazzing out all over the place. I'm an competely noob when it comes to editing xml or anything skyrim related. Is it possible to have a version with very little movement? Maybe it's because i'm using a BBP animation and the butt is causing issues with it.. Hmm.

It seems I'm also having the spazzing out jittery tails as well. I mean really spazzing out all over the place. I'm an competely noob when it comes to editing xml or anything skyrim related. Is it possible to have a version with very little movement? Maybe it's because i'm using a BBP animation and the butt is causing issues with it.. Hmm.

I just updated the mod where I made adjustments to the .xml file. When I set all the gravity values to 0, the tails gave less jittery responses (I assume because there's less variables to calculate) and still moved relatively the same. I also increased the tensors toward the base of the tail, so the tail may be a little more stiff this time. The collisions on the tail are still disabled at the moment, so they should hopefully not give you any issues on that end.

Hope this helps!

I just updated the mod where I made adjustments to the .xml file. When I set all the gravity values to 0, the tails gave less jittery responses (I assume because there's less variables to calculate) and still moved relatively the same. I also increased the tensors toward the base of the tail, so the tail may be a little more stiff this time. The collisions on the tail are still disabled at the moment, so they should hopefully not give you any issues on that end.

Hope this helps!

Thanks! I'll redownload it!

Can you do this with the khajiit / argonian tails?

This.  I use the Eires Ohme-Raht race, so this would be very kool for me.  I also use a craftable khajit tail mod. 

Just posted a new update with additional tails (including Khajiits and Argonians). Hope they work!

Just posted a new update with additional tails (including Khajiits and Argonians). Hope they work!

Awesome! But what HDT you're using in order to avoid jittery/spasms? Do you have skeleton_female enabled/disabled or are there any other reasons that could affect to this?

Awesome! But what HDT you're using in order to avoid jittery/spasms? Do you have skeleton_female enabled/disabled or are there any other reasons that could affect to this?

I'm using the one dated at 2014-02-22. But I assume it should work for versions later than that as well. What I've noticed is your mileage may vary when it comes to real-time physics because there are literally numerous variables that affect how the physics performs and reacts in-game based on your setup. Generally speaking, based on my experience, is that the jittery spasms happen when quickly switching the orientation of the character (like running left to right direction instantaneously), or approaching computational heavy areas (like waterfalls and very cluttered or heavily rendered regions, outdoors in Skyrim in certain cells).

The tails have their own skeleton and should bind to any character that uses a humanoid skeleton (beast races included), which have the 'NPC Root' and 'NPC Pelvis' nodes. The tail's skeleton is the only thing affected by HDT_PE--but in using the HDT_PE plug-in, be sure to use a compatible skeleton for the sake of the plug-in to work properly, not just the tails. Without HDT_PE, though I haven't tested to confirm, you will just have stiff tails with no movement.

Hope this helps!

Heh, I use customized build based on a bit older variant and tails are stiff from the beginning and spasm and twitch a lot :P no wonder something isnt quite compatible. I'm using the latest skeleton (XPMSE).

Ah, depending on how old it is, if it can read .xml's, you might need to open the .xml's and multiply a certain variable by a certain number, but I'm not sure what and if it'll make the tails perform as they should. Sorry I can't suggest much to help, but if you can upgrade the plug-in, I would recommend it.

Heh, I use customized build based on a bit older variant and tails are stiff from the beginning and spasm and twitch a lot :P no wonder something isnt quite compatible. I'm using the latest skeleton (XPMSE).

Ah, depending on how old it is, if it can read .xml's, you might need to open the .xml's and multiply a certain variable by a certain number, but I'm not sure what and if it'll make the tails perform as they should. Sorry I can't suggest much to help, but if you can upgrade the plug-in, I would recommend it.

Could you attach your working HDT dll + xml files (or if there are more suff in new builds)? That way I could examine if it's only version related.