View File

Description

Makes the hairs from Ling's less shiny and/or adds specular detail where necessary. I made this fix primarily for myself, because several hairs didn't even have a proper specular map and have been left blank (white), which meant that the hairs were super-shiny.

This archive only contains the normal/specular maps, so any other texture mods (if there are any) for ling's may still work.

Requirements

Requires Ling's Coiffure NV from earache42: www.moddb.com/mods/lings-coiffure-nv

Installation

Install with FOMM.

Alternatively you can extract the .fomod archive with 7-zip and install the files manually into your textures/characters/hair folder.

Credits

All credit goes to earache42 and the respective authors of the hairs.

• 4 weeks later...

Yeah, I wish that too. ;) I also wished that the hairs would have proper meshes for hats, but that's unfortunately not the case for a lot of them.

Though I haven't tried it yet, the adjustment for the bald spots should be relatively easy in theory with some basic knowledge of NifSkope and Blender/Max/Maya. 

Yeah, I wish that too. ;) I also wished that the hairs would have proper meshes for hats, but that's unfortunately not the case for a lot of them.

Though I haven't tried it yet, the adjustment for the bald spots should be relatively easy in theory with some basic knowledge of NifSkope and Blender/Max/Maya.

Bruce can you teach me how you did the specular fix? I ported some of the sg hairs and it has the same issue, too shiny and sometimea almost transparent. Regarding the hat hair, ive mange to make it work but through a bypass lol i combined the hat and hair mesh.

It's pretty simple. You need either GIMP or Photoshop with the NVidia DDS plugin. Open up the normal texture (has the same name as the diffuse texture with a "_n" at the end, for example myhair01_n.dds). Go into channel mode and check out the alpha channel. The alpha channel of the normal texture is the specularity map. Black is no specularity and white is max specularity. Greys are everything in between, so dark grey is less shine and bright grey is more. More often than not the diffuse map can be used for the spec map as well. If you copy it into the alpha channel it automatically gets converted to greyscale (hair diffuse maps are mostly greyscale by default, because you need to be able to change the color in-game) and you are good to go. Adjust brightness/contrast and high/mid/low levels with PS/GIMP until you are happy with the results. Lastly you need to just export it with the DDS plugin again (I go with DXT5 but I think DXT3 works too). 

Sometimes this is not enough though and you need to adjust glossiness and specularity color in NifSkope. The setting is under BSShaderProperties and you can manipulate it by clicking on the small color palette button. I can't remember the exact name of the function, but it is somewhere in the shader properties branch.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

I know this is a mega necro, but I tried this with Malimea's Hair specifically SKS Ren's 11... and well I guess because I am not a texture artist it didn't work.

Either way, thanks to BruceWayne [heh], for the Specular Fix for Lings. Things look a lot better now without such a shine.

• 9 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...