Need a tutorial on adding collision to objects

Fredas

I am going to try my hand, once more, at adding collision to an object, since it's basically essential to my current modding effort. The difficulty I have is twofold: First, since I am completely out of my depth with such things, I am very much at the mercy of the verbosity (or lack) of whatever tutorial exists. Second, I have actually had effectively zero luck finding a usable tutorial on this topic. Best I have found is a non-narrated video on Youtube which unfortunately assumes ownership of 3DSMAX, which I do not have access to.

The reality is that I would much prefer forking over ten bucks for the 5 minutes it would take any knowledgable person to get it done, but I am doing what I can instead, and the best that I can do, given the persistently miserable state of FAQs on things like this, is ask if anyone knows where a decent tutorial can be found. The object in question is a small world object (not static) and its mesh is already of such low detail that it could probably be simply duplicated as its own collision mesh.

Try this for blender:

I assume from your comments, you don't have 3dsMax so I just googled something for blender.

Can't say I can tell/teach you how to do it in Blender as I just use 3dsMax myself.

P.S. Try posting in a more appropriate sub-forum next time ;)

Lots of experienced folks in technical and non-adult for this kind of stuff.

Try this for blender:

Yeah, stuff does seem to exist if one is interested in Oblivion collision.  2008 definitely predates Skyrim.  The sad truth is that there are some extremely important extra things which need to be done (or more like a thoroughly different process is involved) in order for anything to work in Skyrim, and this fact is the cause of both my past failures and my current lack of progress.

P.S. Try posting in a more appropriate sub-forum next time  ;)

There is method in my apparent madness - trust me.  After letting half a dozen topics literally rot in appropriate forums, I'm more than happy to be vindicated here.

Yeah, stuff does seem to exist if one is interested in Oblivion collision.  2008 definitely predates Skyrim.  The sad truth is that there are some extremely important extra things which need to be done (or more like a thoroughly different process is involved) in order for anything to work in Skyrim, and this fact is the cause of both my past failures and my current lack of progress.

:rolleyes:

It's all nifs man. Only difference is the offsets for the game. They are listed properly on how to cleanup the node in nifskope on the niftools forum as well as on that 3dsMax video you mentioned.

Of course you always have the option to just copy over a collision node. Just won't be able to customize the collision shape too well.

I've fiddled with the process enough to know that it's just not that simple.  You follow an Oblivion guide and you end up with a collision mesh that's 10x (or 1000x, depending on your point of view) times too large, and, like you said, with bad positioning.  I have an unrelated world object from a different project I'm working on, whose size in-game is a bit too large.  But there seems to be absolutely nothing that can be done to shrink it down without simultaneously causing the collision mesh to go utterly out of whack.  I spent ten hours trying.  Tweaking a collision mesh in Nifskope is hopeless.  You'll pardon me if I have very little faith in guides that are not specifically tweaked for Skyrim.

Archived