How does Skyrim determine what footstep sound it should play?

Toastbre4d

Hello!

So I stumbled upon a mod today that replaces the PC's footstep sounds with ones that sound like high heels. So far, so good, my character basically only runs around in heels. My problem with this is that this changes all footstep sounds for the player character to clicky heel sounds. As a result, I tried to look around in Skyrim's esm files, looking to find out how the game decides what sound to play. I found Impact Data and Impact Data Sets for the different types of clothing/armor, along with Sound Markers, Sound Descriptors and Sound Categories, but I still don't have any idea how the game knows what sound to play. Keywords? If so, where do I enter them and in which data type?

I want to make a new mod (if humanly possible) that makes the game use high heel footstep sounds when any npc or the player wears high heels.
I think I would have to create a bunch of new data like the original ones and I think I can figure out what to put where, but how do I make the game use my data appropiately?

Thanks in Advance, Toastbre4d

Edit: Found a tutorial after some searching: Nexus Link

Takes quite a while to get sorted. If enough people are interested, I can upload the esp I created along with a description on how to use it. It's not as easy as Plug'n'Play.

Post it please. It's in high demand among... well, me at least. xD

I suppose every single heel needs to be edited to use this sound set?

What do you think about merging the sound set with hdtHighHeel.esm for the ease of use?

Well, I made a seperate esm-ified esp that does nothing but add another set of footsteps one can choose in the ArmorAddon of the heels. Also, I used this mod's file structure and files, so you will have to download that (unless you want to edit 48 Sound Descriptors). The esp doesn't interfere with anything else, so I don't think there should be incompatibilities.

Indeed you are right, you have to change the FootstepSet in the ArmorAddon of every single heel that should use this. One major flaw of this is that you can't change it for armor items that can also be used by males (which don't have heels), unless you want them to stomp around and sound like *click clack click clack* all the time.

I'll test this a little today (couldn't get to it yesterday and I'm only 98,57% sure everything is working right) and upload the file. I'll post a link here when it's done and edit the first post.

Merging with hdtHighHeel.esm... Should'nt be a problem, but I don't see the use of it unless you are already at 255 plugins... Also, it wouldn't make things easier because you would still need to change the ArmorAddon of the heels. Unless of course, some genious manages to make a script that automatically does that *hint hint*.

Greetings, Toastbre4d

Edit: I may also upload another set of sounds, I edited the ones from the soundpack I linked. Still needs testing, though.

Yep, if modified hdtHHS will be able to attach this sound set to items with HH enchantment "on the fly", it would be the best solution. Compatibility with all the mods already created is a good thing. I'll try to find out if it's possible at all

Also, one less ESP is a good thing, one less dependency is a good thing(less "I installed your stuff, and my skyrim crashes even before the main menu!111" stuff).

And in general - it's simply natural to keep all the related stuff in one place.

Well, the crashing part mostly occurs when the loadorder is fubar. I'm happily running 178 plugins and it's rock solid, apart from the occasional crash because it's Skyrim. I see now that merging would be a good idea, I had to esm-ify the esp anyway because otherwise CK would screw up and assign wrong IDs and wouldn't load the esp as a master for the heels. That wouldn't be a problem anymore, because the heels need the hdtHighHeel.esm anyway. I'll still upload my file later, but I think I'll pester HydrogensaysHDT about it.

Greetings, Toastbre4d

P.S.: I just ran around Whiterun for a while, and the sounds I made from clips I found really came out great. Makes the ones from the pack I linked sound way too quiet. 

I tried looking through the papyrus stuff here, and found nothing that would allow to change footsteps the script way. I'll try bugging some experienced modders(Ashal?) about this(in case i missed something). Then move to the next step - post a unreasonablefeature request in the SKSE thread.

edit: the most relevant thing i found is ImpactDataSet Script, but i have no idea on how to use it. Nearly no info present.

Archived