Fixing a messed up FONV/FO3 install -- the right way

It's come to my attention that some people (a lot? most?) don't know the right way to fix a corrupted / screwed up fallout data directory without losing any data or mods. I thought I'd write a quick procedure you can follow when something goes wrong in your game dir and you need to get it working again with a minimum of fuss.

This assumes that you've used FOMM for most of your mod installs and either something went wrong with FOMM, or you installed a few things directly to the data dir that you shouldn't have -- but know what they are so you can try again.

The procedure in this case is really simple. It probably works with NMM as well. To continue you'll need:

• FOMM. The official version should work, but my version is obviously the best.
  • A legitimate copy of Fallout3/FalloutNV.
  • A few minutes to a few hours depending on your internet connection speed, hdd speed, etc
When FOMM installs a mod, it records all the files the mod has installed in the InstallLog.xml file. This file is located by default in "\games\<game>" on whichever drive your game is installed to. If the game is Fallout New Vegas, installed somewhere on C:, then c:\games\FalloutNV\ is the default FOMM directory. All the packages you add to FOMM are copied here in the 'mods' directory, and activated mod details are recorded in the 'Install Info' directory.

If your data directory is screwed up and your game is crashing, or you just have a bunch of files in there you want gone without having to download a bunch of mods again or rebuild your custom fomod-ready archives, you can fix it easier than you might think.

• Start FOMM and export your load order with the menu "load order" -> "export"
  • If you have a bunch of packages and only some are active, save that as well. Open the package manager and select the menu "mod list" -> "Export mod list"
  • Quit FOMM and do not open it again until told to do so
  • Back up your savegames directory
  • Starting at the game directory, or data directory, delete everything you think contains corrupt or non-vanilla files. You can safely delete the entire data directory if needed.
  • Run steam's "cache validator" which will rest the game completely back to vanilla This can take a long time. If you're using FO3 and installed from CD, uninstall it, and reinstall it.
  • When the reinstall has finished, run the game to make sure all is well. If your savegame files are missing, copy them from the backup.
  • Open the FOMM "install info" directory -- the directory with InstallLog.xml and so on inside. Delete everything in that directory.
  • Run FOMM. Your mods will be vanilla, but everything should be there in the package manager.
  • Activate your packages. Use the list you made in the second step if you need to.
  • Import the load order you exported in the second step.
  • Quit FOMM
From here you're ready to go except for two things.
  • installing things to the game directory that FOMM itself cannot install for you. NVSE, ENB, FNV4GB, etc.
  • installing things (with FOMM this time!) that you installed manually to the data directory before, that screwed you up.
Hope that helps. Reply with updates if I've missed something or said something wrong, but I've been doing this so much lately I think I remembered all the steps.

Edit: Forgot the 'delete stuff' step.

Nice guide. 

Though for step 5, if your internet connection is fast enough or you have a disk version of FNV it is quicker to just uninstall/reinstall as well btw. I've recently had to do exactly this process and tried to re-validate my files and it took ages, before I canceled that and just reinstalled the game from scratch. 

I tossed in a step I (of course) forgot Bruce that somewhat addresses that. Cache validation checks hash values / checksums or something but doesn't remove non-vanilla files; so the missing step is to go into the game directory and/or data directory and just delete anything you think might be corrupt, or any folders that might contain corrupt files.

That speeds up the cache validation as well since it doesn't have to checksum existing files (it will just download them). If you just delete the non-vanilla BSA's in the data dir, and the entire meshes directory, the cache validation is fairly quick -- by my standards anyway.

I usually have a copy of the clean Data folder which means I can delete the folder. Copy the folder back and then verify the cache. (for updates and fixes). I am good to go after that. I have been using the delete and restore technique for a number of years and it so far hasn't failed me. The copy the copy of the data folder is just a quicker way to get a copy of the files into the game folder for it to verify. I can have very slow internet at times and it can take me up to 3 hours to just download the Data folder. This way I only have a few minutes of copy and a few other minutes of verification and download (missing files update files etc.) Added link to my Sig for those that need it.

@BruceWayne.

I believe it only checks the game files downloaded by Steam. Might check the Steam games as well. I don't have any to test or any experience if it does that. I haven 't so far has it do any changes to any files I have placed in the folder regardless of if it was with a mod manager or manually. It should be very safe to use regardless of how many mods you have or the size of the folder.

Guest luthienanarion

Steam has a feature to backup and restore game installations. I keep backups of FO3, FNV, Skyrim, and BL2 in order to avoid re-downloading them. I just delete everything and restore from my backup.

@Waffles

You might want to clarify that you are deleting the files through Steam (deleting the files given by Steam) because if someone deleted the entire folder (manually opening Steam and deleting everything) they would also be deleting the required files such as NVSE, or other useful files like GECK, FNVedit and any other tools or records stored in the same folder. Not to mention if someone did that they would be deleting the FOMM folder (if installed in the game folder ) as well. Many of those folders would have to be manually restored

I have done the same however I later realized I don't need all the files outside of the Data folder to be deleted. they usually aren't affected by the mods and such and would also be verified anyway through the verification, so I focused instead on the data folder.

You might want to clarify that you are deleting the files through Steam (deleting the files given by Steam) because if someone deleted the entire folder (manually opening Steam and deleting everything) they would also be deleting the required files such as NVSE, or other useful files like GECK, FNVedit and any other tools or records stored in the same folder. Not to mention if someone did that they would be deleting the FOMM folder (if installed in the game folder ) as well. Many of those folders would have to be manually restored

I did mention that, it's one of the last two steps -- reinstalling manual things that FOMM can't install like NVSE and ENB.

I have done the same however I later realized I don't need all the files outside of the Data folder to be deleted. they usually aren't affected by the mods and such and would also be verified anyway through the verification, so I focused instead on the data folder.

Right. Personally I just delete the meshes directory, and all the files in the data directory except the vanilla BSAs, then run validation. This catches everything that can potentially screw the game up except shaders which most people don't mess with outside of ENB.

I did mention that, it's one of the last two steps -- reinstalling manual things that FOMM can't install like NVSE and ENB.

That was in direct response to the individuall above that post where they say delte the game folder. Will edit the post to reflect it is directed at that poster for clarification

Guest luthienanarion

@Waffles

Nah, I do delete the entire game folder. FOSE/NVSE, the GECK, and FO3Edit/FNVEdit are easily installed again. All I lose are log files from *SE plugins. I don't actually play these games, so I don't have any ENB-related junk files to restore. Wiping your FO3/FNV install isn't something you should have to do very often, so preservation of any settings is not really a concern of mine.

I do keep FOMM in a separate location and delete the Install Info folder when I wipe, because the data immediately becomes irrelevant.

@Waffles.

That is true for someone of your level of understanding but there are many here that had quite a time getting the NVSE and other tools installed correctly. That was the only point I was making. Besides. I don't see any benifit in deleting the main folder in the long run. If there is any issue with the programs installed there I just copy over and done.

@Prideslayer.

I place my FOMM and the mod files inside the FOMM directory.

Personally, to keep the clutter down, I put FNVEdit in the FOMM directory in an FNVEdit subdir.

Sorry this is going a bit off the topic but how do you do that. Is it dropped into the FOMM main folder in a folder itself or is it extracted loose inside the FOMM folder. Also how does this affect the use of FO3edit at the same time? Can it be done. I would like to lighten my Fallout folder a bit more.

Sorry this is going a bit off the topic but how do you do that. Is it dropped into the FOMM main folder in a folder itself or is it extracted loose inside the FOMM folder. Also how does this affect the use of FO3edit at the same time? Can it be done. I would like to lighten my Fallout folder a bit more.

I'm not sure I understand the question.

I downloaded the FNVEdit zip (FNVEdit_3_0_29_EXPERIMENTAL-34703-3-0-29EXP.7z is the one I have right now), made a folder in the FOMM dir called "FNVEdit", and just extracted the zip there.

When I want to run FNVEdit I just.. run it.

Is there something special about using it as FO3Edit that it must be in a certain place?

I downloaded the FNVEdit zip (FNVEdit_3_0_29_EXPERIMENTAL-34703-3-0-29EXP.7z is the one I have right now), made a folder in the FOMM dir called "FNVEdit", and just extracted the zip ther

That answered my question related to installation of the editor. I was just wondering about that since most tools like FOMM and such look for it in the main folder, I doubt it will be accessible through those tools (like FOMM link) in a separate folder. Could be wrong. Also it won't be able to easily reference the actual game as well without editing something correct?

Is there something special about using it as FO3Edit that it must be in a certain place?

As far as I knew it was the same as FNVeidt. It was to be placed in the game folder. However if FNVedit works in the FOMM folder in a separate folder then FO3edit should work there as well. I imagine the same corrections would be needed for F03edit as well.

As far as I know, FNVEdit/FO3Edit (same program after all) use the registry to find the game directory. I didn't have to edit anything to get it to work. I don't know about launching it from FOMM -- didn't know that option existed, don't know where it is, never tried it. :)

FOMM. The official version should work, but my version is obviously the best.

Perfectly reasonable considering he has been working so hard on it running into problem after problem and overcoming them each time (well most of the time :P ). FOMM is a nice manager and needs to be updated for the times. That crashing on log on prompt really annoyed me to no end.

Also think of it this way if someone starts working on a mod and it has issues with loading in FOMM we have a resident expert... well knowledgeable individual that can possibly shed light on why. Also perhaps even fix the issue to boot!

As to when he gets back to working on Tryouts... well that is a different matter. :lol:

As to when he gets back to working on Tryouts... well that is a different matter. :lol:

You can direct your tryouts related issues and questions to the mods rightful owner. At present I'm back to simply maintaining the thread topic, not doing any of the hard work. ;)

• 2 weeks later...

A++++!!!111!!  5 billion/3 billion!  Would follow instructions again!

Seriously, thank you, pride.  :heart:   Previously, reinstalling NV + refinding/reinstalling my mods was a day or few activity from hell.

A few pointers that you may or may not want to include:

• When backing up your Data folder, backup your NVSE folder and TTW files (if you use them).  That way, you don't have to rebuild
  • TTW users:  Backup your TTW's BSAs, ESMs, and converted from FO3 to NV mod's esps to save yourself time from having to rebuild everything.  Don't forget that you'll have to reinstall the assets (meshes, textures, sound) from the mods again.  You'll also have to rename your sounds folders for custom speech (consult the TTW forum for the correct folder names).
  • If MCM isn't detected/gives you the C++/Firewall warning, deactivate, reactivate, and restart.
  • When you initially install mods, select the "make a backup file" option in package manager.  This will create an fomod for easy reinstalls.  No hunting your harddrive or mod sites for mods that you can't remember the name of thanks to asshole mods named "mainfile.esp."

nyaallich.

Off topic

does TTW change the native Fallout New Vegas folders? Or does it create its own folders to add to the game?

TTW's installer gets the ESMs and BSAs from your installed FO3 directory and does some magic to them, then creates it's own folders for you to install. You can also tell it to create a FOMOD. So there should be no need to back it up separately if you do the right thing and use the TTW generated fomod. :)