Story or Gameplay?

AgendaDysphoria

Story or Gameplay?  

140 members have voted

1. 1. Which one do you value more in a game?

• 4 weeks later...

If i want just a story then theres books, films, tv series which can all satisfy that urge

Gameplay should be the most important aspect of a game since without it it probably fits into one of the above categories better.

This is an interesting question.

All of my favorite games I like them for their story. A few of them has unique gameplay for their genre, but even if they were to have just average run of the mill gameplay I would still say they are my favorite.

There are games that I have played for hours and hours which has good gameplay with little/no story that I have enjoyed but will never consider them my favorite.

• 4 weeks later...

I think it largely depends on the type of game it is. If I'm being totally honest, the story in TES games is generally pretty poor but between the open world setting and acceptable game play quality, I have the ability to make my own story. So TES doesn't really need good story but if it had poor game play also, it would be a lot less enjoyable.

Now take a games such as Amnesia: The Dark Descent or The Walking Dead games by Telltale Games. The game play in Amnesia is nothing special and in the case of The Walking Dead, it's almost non existent but it doesn't matter because it isn't integral to the game "working". If the story in those games was really poor however, the games would suffer greatly.

WTF!!!!!  Game play or Story???  Those are my only choices?????   :angry:  :angry:  :angry:  :angry:

Where the hell is the boobs and ass choice?  If game play or story meant one fucking thing, then why the hell are folks still playing ANYTHING bethesda has made?  Cause of boobs and ass of course!!!  Now one "could" say I am really talking about being able to "mod" a game, but that is just semantics.  

BOOBS AND ASS FOR THE WIN PEOPLE!!!!!   :D  :D  :D

Ok, Ok, I guess if I had to pick just between the OP's two choices it would have to be game play.  A great story is really nifty....provided you can actually experience it.  Seriously, if you are getting into something and then BAM BSOD or some other glitch occurs and then KEEPS occurring then pretty soon you are going to uninstall the game and not give one shit how cool the story was or that the ending was epic.  Solid game play often will overcome weak story lines far more than the other way around.

GAME WITHOUT BOOBS?!?

ME NO PLAY!!!

but seriously story make game more playable/enjoyable and it is very important part of gaming experience

RL have perfect gameplay but awful nonlinear story

so do you enjoy in that game   

A game with a good gameplay but without story is entertaining, a game without gameplay but a good story is a movie and a game without gameplay and without story is nothing.

I guess gameplay is more important, but if the game has a story it has to be a good one or it will ruin the game.

I can enjoy a good story but the gameplay is... well... how can you enjoy a game if you don't like its gameplay ?

Yea, nothing's more to say, whats matters in games is gameplay, truly i loved games like Fallout , Jagged Alliance, Blood, Dungeon Keeper2 they had great gameplay and even story was hell of good work in my opinion but today i couldnt watch those big pixels that those old game have, on the other hand present games like Divinity or Watch Dogs, well i cant stand both of them becaus of gameplay, event dont care how deep and awsome storyline could be, if i got to hack&slash something i choose Skyrim or Path of Exile, if i got to shoot something i'll take Skyrim or Metro, if i want play some funny game with story i'll chose modded Skyrim (well if there would be option Rapture i would choose it instead).

So in the end everyone gots thier own preferences some say that Minecraft is great i say thats crap becaus it dont have graphic...

Anyway its my first post on this forum so "hi everyone".

• 6 months later...

Probably lean towards story. Some of my all time favorites, were very story driven (such as Planetscape Torment) and a engaging storyline makes a passable game into a great game. But saying that, frustrating gameplay, can make sure you don't even want to develop the story, due to just generally hacking a player off so much, the game gets binned pretty darned quickly.

Games that combine the both (and ideally with eyecandy graphics to boot), are a rare treasure. My all time favorite game was Project Zero 2 (I believe it was called Fatal Frame 2 over the pond), which had a storyline (possibly a little insane story but a story nonetheless), really liked the gameplay, and at the time was graphically up there with the best. Silent Hill 2 would be a close second.

I voted gameplay, because a game with a positive score for gameplay and no story whatsoever or only a cursory nod at a story (Doom, Hexen, Quake, Chocks Away, (Archimedes) Elite, Interdictor II, Mig 29, Descent, Plants v Zombies et cetera) can still be good, whereas a story without gameplay is a story. No matter how good your story is, reading it in a book ...

... or being locked in a sports hall, having 200 sheets of paper drop through the ceiling, having to find page 1 among them and read it,having another 200 sheets of paper drop through the ceiling, having to find page 2 among them and read it, having another 200 sheets of paper drop through the ceiling, having to find page 3 among them and read it, having another 200 sheets of paper drop through the ceiling, having to find page 4 among them and read it, having another 200 sheets of paper drop through the ceiling, having to find page 5 among them and read it, having another 200 sheets of paper drop through the ceiling, having to find page 6 among them and read it et cetera ...

... isn't a good game.

That said, story almost always enhances a game. Knowing you're stopping a demon invasion of Earth does Doom no harm. Being the good guys up against a demonic takeover of religion and state makes Hexen that little bit more gratifying ... for a few seconds ... occasionally ... a mission to deliver an aid package to a planet gives you a place in the Elite world other than "one of those trader guys" and having miners to rescue adds to Descent even though it is, in gameplay terms, just bonus points for blowing up a door.

In Left 4 Dead the story is as much "the writing on the wall" as your characters' own story.

"Dave, where are you? I hope you're safe, and I hope the children are with you. - Janet."

Beats hell out of "For sale: one pair baby shoes, never worn," doesn't it?

"The planes are falling out of the sky."

"We're going to the airport anyway. What choice do we have?"

Pretty sure that didn't work out well for them.

That being said, the best story in a game ever inserted into an awesome game can still suck yak balls if it's inserted incorrectly. If I'm playing the game, playing the game, setting things up, about to assassinate something or typing a message to an online team-mate or busy upgrading my kit or whatever and *flash*swooshy sound*CUTSCENE* ... that's going to piss me off.

Also, side-note: whether it's story or gameplay, please do not give my Welsh / Scottish / Cornish / Yorkshire / Geordie / Russian / German / Jordanian / Ethiopian / Vietnamese / New Zealander character a Very American Accent.

Archived