Project Merida (Just another shitty hair)

Yoo

Just a test of my current project.

It has around 120 rigid bodies (thats A LOT) 4 Body Collisions (I'll add hands later) and a low polycount.

Next step:

Create better textures, solve alpha issues. redo hair mesh to fit Merida's style. Tweak small issues with collisions (mostly jitter due to low framerate on large areas) Add more Hair strands?

Next step:

Add more collisions (forearm, hands), tweak inertia, work on normal map, start the serious work with dress and cape.

I'll put a bit of order on the "status" (order is always good... well, sometimes)

Next Steps:

HAIR

• Increase length (yoo were so focused on the curls that yoo forgot to check the total length...) God bless HDT PE Bone Scaling. (I will conserve original XMLs for the "not so long" version. 

ffg.jpg

• Add aditional collisions to fit the new length (forearms, spine1, hands)
  • Do something about the total inertia without reducing the movement (because its movement is just too cute and I give a fuck about realism)
  • Create a normal map for the hair to give it more volume.

DOWNLOAD: HERE!

DRESS

• Create a decent model (the one on the video was just the base mesh).
  • Create a decent rig, come on, only 4 chain of bones? what was Yoo thinking?
  • Create collisions for legs and pelvis (alredy done on the Empire Coat so I'll use those)
  • Create decent textures and normal maps.

CAPE

• Decide approach. To create a cape over the shoulders covering arms (like batman's cape) could prove a nice challenge so maybe I'll do a simple version.
  • Create Mesh
  • UVW (gosh, I wish a TES6 with Ptex... but Yoo knows that its not going to happen)
  • Create Havok RIG
  • Figure out a collision setup that dont mess with the hair / dress.
  • Complete a tutorial (written version) about this.

• Create a Hooded Version with a wig using SKSE to copy hair color. (Possible, not assured)

Nicely done so far, my only suggestion is to add more "weight/inertia" (along with collisions) so the hair doesn't go from point A to B in 0.1 seconds.

Also for fixing stutters/jittering try the new dll that was released

http://www.loverslab.com/topic/27635-new-update-2014228/

I'm using it right now and it really fixes stuttering a whole lot. Even at lower frames per second without the need of waitforbusyrender in ENB.

Nicely done so far, my only suggestion is to add more "weight/inertia" (along with collisions) so the hair doesn't go from point A to B in 0.1 seconds.

Also for fixing stutters/jittering try the new dll that was released

http://www.loverslab.com/topic/27635-new-update-2014228/

I'm using it right now and it really fixes stuttering a whole lot. Even at lower frames per second without the need of waitforbusyrender in ENB.

Yes, I'd have to tweak the inertia values. Thanks for the hint ^^

And I should try the newest version, this was run using 12.29

But appart of the ENB issues, some stutter is caused by collisions, because there is A LOT of rigid bodies in a really close space. So I should resize some of the capsules near the head. And increase the penetration values.

What really bugs me its that anoying alpha issue... I should try HDT's depth peeling algorithm for ENB.

Everything is set at Collision Filter Number 10  and I thought about using 3 filters. One for "odd" chains another for "even" and a third group for body collisions. But the Create World filter doesnt seems to work with HDTPE so, maybe I'll set the odds and even chains at two different filters and set the body collisions at layer 0, altought I hate using Layer 0 (I should try to edit the XML using JFF to create the filters)

Next step, redo hair mesh (pass from wavy hair to a shitload of curls and strands to get the "Merida's style") I'll try to keep the polycount at a "not so insane" value.

Will you release both the wavy and the curly hair? I'm thinking of one follower I use that would do great with wavy hairs!

no offense, but video terrible because character moving ridiculously too fast. zoom in on hair instead body, slow video down or something. good luck with project.

No, I dont take offense, and you forgot to mention the shitty video quality. But, If I ever do another video, I'll keep your suggestions on mind ^^

Back on topic, this weekend I'll try ESO, so no updates. Sorry about the delay.

no offense, but video terrible because character moving ridiculously too fast. zoom in on hair instead body, slow video down or something. good luck with project.

No, I dont take offense, and you forgot to mention the shitty video quality. But, If I ever do another video, I'll keep your suggestions on mind ^^

Yeah, me too, though my first beta invite didn't give me a very nice opinion on ESO.I think you will be returning here a bit sooner than you think :)

Yeah, me too, though my first beta invite didn't give me a very nice opinion on ESO.I think you will be returning here a bit sooner than you think :)

I played it on a friend's beta too and my excitement kinda started evaporating when it started to feel like every mmo ever made. There are some amazing thingies like NPCs approaching you and tryign to get your attention or quest givers actually disappearing from their original locations when they die or move somewhere else (I think they are instanced so other players can't see them but I don't know) but animations feel floaty, actors have no collisions ("oh nooooo! that huge troll has me cornered what should I do? ohhh! I can walk right through it! Funs!") and UI looks like someone was very lazy and just copypasted it from skyrim, even the little embellishments on corners of things look samish. Ohhh! And spells (at least all spells I tested) home in on your target. Not very TESy! I think it may have lots of potential for like RP guilds and stuffs but other than that nornmal gameplay is kinda weird: it tries to be a compromise between MMO way of doing things and TES but ends up feeling all wrong.

And that was totally on the wrong topic!

Wheee! curls!

Now better ^^

I played it on a friend's beta too and my excitement kinda started evaporating when it started to feel like every mmo ever made. There are some amazing thingies like NPCs approaching you and tryign to get your attention or quest givers actually disappearing from their original locations when they die or move somewhere else (I think they are instanced so other players can't see them but I don't know) but animations feel floaty, actors have no collisions ("oh nooooo! that huge troll has me cornered what should I do? ohhh! I can walk right through it! Funs!") and UI looks like someone was very lazy and just copypasted it from skyrim, even the little embellishments on corners of things look samish. Ohhh! And spells (at least all spells I tested) home in on your target. Not very TESy! I think it may have lots of potential for like RP guilds and stuffs but other than that nornmal gameplay is kinda weird: it tries to be a compromise between MMO way of doing things and TES but ends up feeling all wrong.

And that was totally on the wrong topic!

Wheee! curls!

Now better ^^

be my guest, i bought the collector edition digital before even play beta, and when already played the beta, i was omg, i really expect that goes better later, i kinda fell wasted money.

Judging by the lack of update I do think, Yoo finds the ESO experience quite satisfying...

It would be great if you would release the hair in the video as is though.

Yoo should check the unnoficial chat xD  (so many puns, so little time)

And yes, I liked ESO, even more knowing that they will finally add collisions with mobs and NPCs...

Back on topic, I havent posted anything because I was busy with RL work. I'll try to upload a video tonight showing the current state.

And, if you want, here is a teaser pic made by sayka83 (she is doing the testing/textures). Also, I was a bit bored and I started to do the dress and cape aswell, just to have a complete Merida set.

13276414985_19b4b4d157_o.jpg

13271943343_3bf42a5ba2_o.jpg

Yes, she loves to create screenshots... check her Flickr profile for more pics...

Archived