Is English your native language?

Is English your native language?  

8 members have voted

1. 1. Is English your native language?

• Yes
    • No

This forum gets plenty of traffic from international users, so I thought it would be interesting to ask how many of you are native English speakers. Pretty much anyone who downloads from here has to sign up, so I hope that some of you non-native or machine-translating users answer the poll, since you don't have to say anything.

Of course, you'll have to translate this all first...

Guest Donkey

Non native English speaker here..  :P But that does not mean i can't understand a word your saying. However if you are from England that would be different part, if it is America that is more understandable.. Not sure why but maybe it is the way from England. They speak really fast, witch makes it harder for me to understand what they are saying.

I'm a native frenchspeaker, speak some dutch and without any real difficulties in english thanks to all those years spent reading, watching,.... stuff in english.

(I also spent half of my working time talking in english, that should help too).

Non native English speaker here..

Same here :)

:P But that does not mean i can't understand a word your saying. However if you are from England that would be different part' date=' if it is America that is more understandable.. Not sure why but maybe it is the way from England. They speak really fast, witch makes it harder for me to understand what they are saying.[/quote']

I actually find UK English more understandable than its US counterpart, but maybe that's because my school teachers were all from UK...?

And BTW, I speak French natively, have (had  ;)) a good level in Spanish, and keep learning Japanese. I also plan to learn Russian and Korean, when I'll find some time...

Non-native. Had A+ grades for english back in school, forgot almost everything since then. Can undrestand speech (sometimes can't at all) and read text, but when it comes to write something (like right now) or say something , it hurts my brain.

Wow' date=' I didn't think that some of you guys weren't native English speakers. You had me fooled. I guess this place gets more international traffic than I thought.

[/quote']

That's the beauty of Internet  8)

Grew up speaking both english and german, since my dad worked for the U.S.Army after WW.II for quite some years. He always stressed the importance of being able to speak more than one language fluently.

I did a voluntary social year in Ireland after school, so my english is a strange mixture between AFN (American Forces Network, now Eagle AFN) and an Irish accent. 

I still catch myself dreaming in English sometimes!

UK English is my native language' date=' being from the UK.

I'm full of admiration for anyone who can learn a language with as many idiosyncrasies as English at school rather than from their parents.

[/quote']

I come from France, and even if my english is awfull i understand it pretty well. I dont like or dont hate this language but english won the game and everybody around the world speak it, so u dont have the choice.

Nowadays i think every people under 30-40 years old, or most of them, at least in europa, speak english.

UK English is my native language' date=' being from the UK.

I'm full of admiration for anyone who can learn a language with as many idiosyncrasies as English at school rather than from their parents.

[/quote']

I come from France, and even if my english is awfull i understand it pretty well. I dont like or dont hate this language but english won the game and everybody around the world speak it, so u dont have the choice.

Nowadays i think every people under 30-40 years old, or most of them, at least in europa, speak english.

Fun fact: Dutch almost was the world-language. If only we hadn't 'sold' the New York area for Suriname.

Sources: (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Netherland; http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Treaty_of_Westminster_(1674))