Skinning troubles

necKros

Hello.

I've been lurking HDT threads on this forum for a week now. These last days I've been trying to mod existing hairs to support HDT, but I've run into a problem I'm not capable of figuring by my own.

I think Canderes made a great favour to the community sharing its workflow, and I've followed it with great care, but when I load up the model ingame, some bones go crazy. At first I thought there was something wrong with adding custom bones to a hair mesh, so I decided to work with the hair bones present in my extended skeleton. After repeating the process, the physics work propperly, but the mesh gets severely warped on the bones that don't belong to the vanilla skeleton.

This is how it looks ingame:

oKQ2zKL.jpg

Mz1Bnvc.jpg

owcJ1AD.jpg

CCQCMlH.jpg

And this is the weighting of the head bone, to compare with the warped result ingame (it's horrible, I know).

V1XtfeB.jpg

What I'm I missing out?

Bad pivot alignment, realign your rigid bodies. Or maybe your child/parent space is wrong.

Just an advice from a someone that is also fighting against Havok. Make a mesh with your rigid bodies and then skin it with the asociated bones. Export the file, start the game and keep Max open, see how your mesh behaves and keep skyrim open. Return to max, change the constraints, reexport the XML. Return to skyrim change enter another cell and see the results.

Never trust the preview tool too much.

EDIT: Sorry, never do alt-tab posting while at work xD

Guest Ragna_Rok

every time i see stuff like that i have to wonder... youre sure you skinned it to the right skeleton? ... usually twists (especially this 90 degrees crap) is caused by using the wrong skeleton to skinn your stuff too. though, im just a gear modder, but when stuff gets turned like that, i skinned the armor to the wrong body type, and when i equip armor made for unp for example on my regular body char, its got tons of those 90-degree-twists.

The mesh looks fucked up even without HDT loaded, so my bet is now on a fuckup with the bones, as Ragna said.

I remember now that when I imported the skeleton I used Canderes' bonetonub script, and I guess I should've used the dummytobone one. This may have caused wrong alignment in relation to the skeleton. I'm going to try and repeat the process again.

Well, I fixed it. The main problem was the skeleton. I reinstalled XP32's, repeated the process and I was good to go. I had to add a keyframed rigidbody to the head though, as Hydrogen said, or the ragdoll wouldn't follow the head bone (I guess you need to do this if you are using bones that don't exist in your skeleton). I'm working now on body collisions, but I'd like to write some maxscripts to ease the process a bit (create a chain of constraints, for example, it's a painful process).

Archived