Setup: Attaching HDT to an existing mesh

Monsto Brukes

If you have a mesh (not an alt body) and you wish to make it use HDT, this should help you get started. Thanks Vioxsis

Open your body/armour nif (with T/BBP weighting) in nifskope.

i6icymujdobd6qi7g.jpg

Right click the block list and go to Block and click insert.

k7ccjd5ducqdk5z7g.jpg

Then go to NiS... and click NiStringExtraData.

55ai2ngysf5doyh7g.jpg

In block details right click the value for name and click edit string index.

b6y666s6igr16l07g.jpg

Type HDT Havok Path and click OK (Make sure to use caps where shown)

uluyha99wl2x81p7g.jpg

Right click the value for string data click edit string index, and type the path to your .xml (in my case Data\meshes\actors\character\character assets female\hdtCBBE.xml) and click OK

n7bcrb9gda19r7m7g.jpg

Click on the NiNode in the block list and in block details change the num extra data list value to 1

6w4zwhgf6i089wc7g.jpg

Double click the green refresh arrows just below and add the number the NiStringExtraData is using in the block list,
It is 0 (zero) in this case.

Click save as and do the same for the _1 body/armour.

it doesn't matter if the body is cbbe or unp as long as it is weighted for bbp.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

So close yet so far.... at the beginning how do you make sure something is T/BBP weighted?  By mind-reading?  

You don't. Just ignore that and carry on with the rest of the tutorial.

Towards the end, what if you don't have an .xml file?  Where do you get one?  Use abracadabra?

Here the T/BBP weight stuff gets a bit relevant. But just a tiny bit. First, noone uses BBP or TBBP anymore so just ignore that. Today HDT PE or the even more advanced (but also more complicated) HDT SMP is where the party is at.

Anyway, the body/armors/clothes/hair or whatever it is that you want physics for have to be weight-painted properly.

For example to get HDT Havok Physics to work for the belly (meaning bouncing when the character moves ingame or collisions and belly bulging during penetration) you need a body with a weighted belly.

Most up to date bodies either are belly-weightpainted by default or offer that option when installing them.

And if you build the body with Bodyslide (you definitely should, as well as all the armors/clothes) the resulting body meshes (nifs) should be properly breast-, butt- and belly-weighted anyway.

So long story short, first you need a mesh (armor, body, hair, whatever) that's weight-painted so it knows how to react to HDT physics. Without weighting there is no reason why the game should make the belly bulge for example, since bulging means that you expect the middle of the belly to stretch further out than the sides.

But that's not enough. You also need behavior files to tell HDT Havok Physics the boundaries and inner forces keeping the mesh together so it doesn't just bounce off to infinity at the first little push.

The game has to load these xml files at the same time as the meshes you want physics for. So if for example your char equips a HDT physics enabled wig then it's best to attach the link to the xml file governing the physics behavior of that wig to the wig's mesh. For things like wigs or hair or armors with particular parts moving on their own (capes for example) the xml should be inside the mod itself and should already be attached to the correct mesh(es) too.

Or if you want collisions during sex scenes the xmls for that should be attached to the naked body meshes that are supposed to collide. For example hdtvagina.xml on the femalebody_0.nif and femalebody_1.nif ... Okay, you can attach it to the hand or feet too, the only important thing is that the xml file gets seen by the HDT system at the same time the meshes you want physics on are loaded/equipped on the char. So attach it to one of them, and always on both the _0 and the _1 version.

For body physics there isn't a standard xml set suited for everyone though, since the right collisions and bouncing are a matter of taste.

Here are a few example xml sets for body physics:

http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/59416/?

http://www.loverslab.com/files/file/1328-minous-hdt-physics/

And this one here is my set:

http://www.loverslab.com/files/file/2431-naturalistic-hdt-jiggle-and-collisions-xml-set/

You have to make sure that the set you want to use matches the body you chose.

A CBBE xml set shouldn't be attached to a UUNP body and vice versa. - edit: not entirely true, just experiment

And if you use NPC beautifier mods like Bijin you have to make sure that the xml data is attached to their body meshes too (I just replaced the meshes with the ones I use for my player char though, works just as well) if you want them to have physics.

For collisions during sex you also need to set the correct strip settings in the Sexlab MCM. The body meshes you attached the xmls to have to be naked or there won't be collisions.

Hell yeah. Mega helpful!

I was trying to find out if it was even possible to put HDT Physics on the Witchplate armor (any bodyslide armor) because leveled NPC's boobs keep hopping out of the chest plate. A temporary solution I came up with was to simply replace the mesh with the Baratheon Armor. It works okay but I'd much rather keep the Witchplate Armor as... a Witchplate Armor. Therefore, I came out to find an answer for what I thought was a simple solution but ended up with only more questions, much to my dismay.

Thank you for clearing so much basic confusion. I never get why 99% of programmers/modders/software gurus always assume everyone should automatically know the most unobvious details about something.

Yeah, somewhere...  :P

Because everything you're complaining about is documented somewhere that isn't a three year old thread.

Exactly.  Somewhere?  Then where?  Brewing in a random Hagraven's alchemy pot?

It's a well known fact that most programmers are very strange in their view of what they perceive as logic and common sense.  

For example: 

Lost in a Helicopter

A helicopter was flying around above Seattle yesterday when an electrical malfunction disabled all of the aircraft's electronic navigation and communications equipment. Due to the clouds and haze, the pilot could not determine the helicopter's position and course to steer to the airport.

The pilot saw a tall building, flew toward it, circled, drew a hand-written sign, and held it in the helicopter's window. The pilot's sign read "WHERE AM I?" in large letters.

People in the tall building quickly responded to the aircraft, drew a large sign, and held it in a building window. Their sign read "YOU ARE IN A HELICOPTER."

The pilot smiled, waved, looked at his map, determined the course to steer to SEATAC airport, and landed safely.

After they were on the ground, the copilot asked the pilot how the "YOU ARE IN A HELICOPTER" sign helped determine their position.

The pilot responded "I knew that had to be the MICROSOFT building because, similar to their help-lines, they gave me a technically correct but completely useless answer."

• 4 weeks later...

LOL LOL LOL love that story. How true. Every post I read about a problem I'm trying to fix, it's almost the same "read this, read that, you should know if you read" crap. I do read. A ton of it. I find that the instructions are way too vague, missing steps, missing details in the instructions, or hard to decipher due to poor English or the style of writing from the author. I want to fix the issue. I want to learn how to do modding and troubleshoot on my own. What's my biggest problem is trying to understand what the modder is talking about.

It'd be great if that were the actual case, but the thread in point even has color coded text and a literal picture-of-each step guide, and this thread, which is absolutely outdated and was never completed, isn't even in that loop despite Brukes' valiant efforts.

and as a counterpoint to the above snark, If you wonder why no one is pointing you to a gig sized pdf with color coded pictures, I suggest you peruse the All-In-One thread which consists of a download where someone did all the work of formatting the models and pre-installing so you don't need a guide, and there about 100 thank yous and 178 pages of "I can't get this to work and you suck this is broken whyyyyyyyy" for a mod that literally does all the things you can't figure out how/what to do.

Why you assume any sane person feels like spending every waking hour of their life schoolmarming a thread where people can't even read the first post that contains the one step download and three step placement instruction is either willful ignorance or simple trolling.

• 1 month later...

LOL LOL LOL love that story. How true. Every post I read about a problem I'm trying to fix, it's almost the same "read this, read that, you should know if you read" crap. I do read. A ton of it. I find that the instructions are way too vague, missing steps, missing details in the instructions, or hard to decipher due to poor English or the style of writing from the author. I want to fix the issue. I want to learn how to do modding and troubleshoot on my own. What's my biggest problem is trying to understand what the modder is talking about.

Man, for reals!  Then you read 27X's reply above because he still doesn't get it and it's like... "Dude, what?  What are you even trying to say?  All-in-one thread?  What?  Why?  Where's the link???"  It's chock-full of assumed information and poetic analogies I have to decipher like some sort of secret code.  What's wrong with these people?  Where's their common sense anymore?  AGAIN!  More technically correct answers but COMPLETELY USELESS!  You know, people, if you don't know the answer just don't reply.  It's simple! 

I just want to know how to NOT make breasts clip out of a outfit.  That's it!  I tried to convert an outfit to CBBE and the bounce on the breast does not match the bounce on the armor so there's clipping.  One would figure that thousands of people have run into this problem before so the solution is everywhere but I can't find anywhere ever!

A normal person would say, "Oh, in the Bodyslide & Outfit Studio you click this, then you click that, then you highlight all of this with this tool, then you click this and then you finally click that.  Bam!  Done."  Or another solution would be, "Oh, dude, you forgot to select this and this and that's why you're having that problem.  Bam!  Done."

It's like a person asking someone how to drive a car.  The normal response is, "Put key in the ignition like this, turn it this way, after engine starts, move the shift knob to D to drive forward or R to go in reverse and apply some gas with the gas pedal.  Use the steering wheel to steer and stop using the brake pedal.  Bam!  Done."  What happened to useful instructions like this?  So quick, easy, and useful!

But, no!  I get strange and mysterious whole paragraphs with sentences like, "Go read this link for more information on the neurotomical protocol procedure and check this link out if you want to separate the hydroxide ions from the negatively charged particles and also remember clowns have no penis."  

I'm just like... "What?"  Seriously, "Whuuuuuuuuut?"

Calm down, mate. ;)

Nobody answered particular questions about Bodyslide because you simply didn't ask them:

I was trying to find out if it was even possible to put HDT Physics on the Witchplate armor (any bodyslide armor) because leveled NPC's boobs keep hopping out of the chest plate. A temporary solution I came up with was to simply replace the mesh with the Baratheon Armor. It works okay but I'd much rather keep the Witchplate Armor as... a Witchplate Armor. Therefore, I came out to find an answer for what I thought was a simple solution but ended up with only more questions, much to my dismay.

This is not a question. Also it's a bit confusing. What's a "leveled NPC boob"? How is it different from a normal boob? I guess it's flatter (leveled), right?  :P

And since you didn't ask a question but mostly posted sort of entertaining anecdotes about helicopters and such shit noone even attempted to translate "hopping out of the chest plate" to "breast clipping through the armor mesh".

If I did I could have told you after seconds that the armor you're using doesn't have a body inside that replaces your naked body. So either use Outfit Studio to put one inside that has the same weight paints as the outfit or copy the weight paints from the the naked body to the armor.

edit:

At second glance the witchplate armor from this link does have a body inside...

Are you using this one? If yes then I guess there's something wrong with it and you have to edit it with Outfit Studio to give the body the same weight paint as the armor.

If that doesn't help then get rid of that mod, because then it's probably crap (clipping issues because hackjob).

edit 2:

just saw this here

I tried to convert an outfit to CBBE and the bounce on the breast does not match the bounce on the armor

After all the bitching you did this is the first time you even mentioned that you tried to convert an outfit to CBBE.

So it's not just a case of a pre made armor mod for Bodyslide UUNP or Bodyslide CBBE not working as intended.

Conversions are a bit more complicated I'm afraid. You might have to use Outfit Studio brush tools to get rid of clipping issues. It's fiddly and you're better off if you can find outfits that were already converted by someone else.

If you really wanna do it on your own here's a guide about how to do it. (guide 3)

• 2 weeks later...

Great guide.. buuuut "String Data" isn't listed under "Block Details" for my hands and feet nifs. Does anyone here know where I take it from there? 

I'm using UUNP Special with "Tender Hands" and "Halo's High Poly Feet UNP" if that makes a difference.

EDIT: Sorry, I was inserting "NiStringsExtraData" instead of "NiStringExtraData".  Still, something's wrong. The Havok bits aren't playing well with sexy time.

• 2 weeks later...

I'll take 'someone do this for me cause I can't be assed to learn' for 1000, Alex.

Right, because asking someone for the instructions on this so I can learn is totally the same as "someone do this for me".  Again, logic failure.  Not only is your new answer just useless as usual per your modus operandi but it's also completely incorrect. 

Calm down, mate. ;)

Nobody answered particular questions about Bodyslide because you simply didn't ask them:

This is not a question. Also it's a bit confusing. What's a "leveled NPC boob"? How is it different from a normal boob? I guess it's flatter (leveled), right?  :P

And since you didn't ask a question but mostly posted sort of entertaining anecdotes about helicopters and such shit noone even attempted to translate "hopping out of the chest plate" to "breast clipping through the armor mesh".

If I did I could have told you after seconds that the armor you're using doesn't have a body inside that replaces your naked body. So either use Outfit Studio to put one inside that has the same weight paints as the outfit or copy the weight paints from the the naked body to the armor.

edit:

At second glance the witchplate armor from this link does have a body inside...

Are you using this one? If yes then I guess there's something wrong with it and you have to edit it with Outfit Studio to give the body the same weight paint as the armor.

If that doesn't help then get rid of that mod, because then it's probably crap (clipping issues because hackjob).

edit 2:

just saw this here

I tried to convert an outfit to CBBE and the bounce on the breast does not match the bounce on the armor

After all the bitching you did this is the first time you even mentioned that you tried to convert an outfit to CBBE.

So it's not just a case of a pre made armor mod for Bodyslide UUNP or Bodyslide CBBE not working as intended.

Conversions are a bit more complicated I'm afraid. You might have to use Outfit Studio brush tools to get rid of clipping issues. It's fiddly and you're better off if you can find outfits that were already converted by someone else.

If you really wanna do it on your own here's a guide about how to do it. (guide 3)

Man, chill, I wasn't even bitching at you, you might've mistaken that from your response I used as a reference.  I only used it as a reference to reply to the other crazy guy.

Also, what's a leveled NPC's boob?  Are you serious?  It's a boob on a Non-Playable Character that pops up in the leveled lists like a bandit or a Vigilant of Stendarr.  FFS.  The word Leveled describes the NPC -- distinguishing it from a Follower or a Playable Character, the word boob is a breast on said NPC.  I did put an apostrophe on NPC's to signify possession.  It's actually something you do in English that... should've been taught in grade school.  At least, for me anyway.

And it totally is a "case of a pre-made armor mod for... Bodyslide CBBE".  The Witchplate armor I referenced is indeed from that mod you linked.  But this whole topic is about trying to apply HDT physics to an armor.  Which is why I got here in the first place trying to... (drum roll) apply HDT physics to an Armor!  WHAAAT?  The answer is always somewhere.  Gee, thanks.  

Me:  "Hey, I lost my keys!"  

You guys:  "Have you checked to see if it's still on planet earth somewhere?"

Yeah, like I said, "Gee, thanks."  If you don't know the answer, don't reply.  I seriously prefer no answer over a wrong one.  And if you had questions, which you obviously had many, you should've asked them in the first place.  Feels like I'm teaching grown as men how to Life.

Also, what's a leveled NPC's boob?  Are you serious?

Obviously not. And I didn't learn English in grade school. I learned a little bit of French there (forgot nearly all of it by now), but I didn't have any English school lessons until grammar school ("Gymnasium" in German). Picked up my first scraps of English through Sierra adventure games on a 286 with 12 MHz. Good times. :)

I guess I'll ignore the rest of your ramblings, have a nice day. ;)

Soooooo.. attaching havok objects to feet nifs? Anybody?

"Havok object" is the name for an invisible piece of armor or clothing (on a body slot that's normally not used otherwise, like the shoulders). People use it to load physics data into HDT PE.

It isn't really needed in most situations because you can attach the same physics data files (xmls) that you would attach to it to the naked body meshes instead.

You can't "attach it to the feet nifs". Attaching a mesh to another mesh, that just doesn't make sense.

"Havok object" is the name for an invisible piece of armor or clothing (on a body slot that's normally not used otherwise, like the shoulders). People use it to load physics data into HDT PE.

It isn't really needed in most situations because you can attach the same physics data files (xmls) that you would attach to it to the naked body meshes instead.

You can't "attach it to the feet nifs". Attaching a mesh to another mesh, that just doesn't make sense.

Sure it does. Caliente or someone of the Bodyslide Team has done it. At least that's what one of them told me. If you open his feet nifs in Nifskope, you'll see it there. 

I didn't think you'd need it in the foot.. but without it.. it breaks the HDT in the coochie. 

Maybe for Toe jobs, penetration?...or, to play Soccer :P

lol, that would be nice I suppose.. tho, there aren't enough bones in Skyrim's character models feet. Aaaaaand I'm not really into that. Soccer would  be very cool, however

Sure it does. Caliente or someone of the Bodyslide Team has done it. At least that's what one of them told me. If you open his feet nifs in Nifskope, you'll see it there. 

Okay, maybe you can somehow attach a mesh to another mesh, I don't know. I suppose that it then also loads the attached one on the character if you equip the other one, right?

Still doesn't make sense to attach the havok object to the feet though. As I said, that mesh is only a crutch to load the xml data into HDT PE. Why would you let the game take that extra step if you could just attach the xml file paths directly to the feet instead?

I didn't think you'd need it in the foot.. but without it.. it breaks the HDT in the coochie. 

Please elaborate.

Okay, maybe you can somehow attach a mesh to another mesh, I don't know. I suppose that it then also loads the attached one on the character if you equip the other one, right?

Still doesn't make sense to attach the havok object to the feet though. As I said, that mesh is only a crutch to load the xml data into HDT PE. Why would you let the game take that extra step if you could just attach the xml file paths directly to the feet instead?

Please elaborate.

My PC's vagina refuses to open when she haves sex.

Archived