Setup: Step by Step setup basics for HDT Physics Extension

Step by Step setup basics for HDT Physics Extension

Install SKSE.
It is required!

Install a body with BBP or TBBP compatibility.
Start here if you need one. Well known bodies and their derivatives will have this. Others will say in their documentation.

Install skeleton with BBP or TBBP compatibility.
Start here if you need one. Most often, this will be an xp32 created skeleton. Others will say in their documentation.

Download the HDT plugin for SKSE.
Start here if you need it. Also available from the HDT Download link in the menu bar at the top of the page.

Install with a mod manager or open the zip into the Skyrim game directory.

If you're using a version older than v12-29:

1. Open the directory: Skyrim/data/SKSE/plugins/   (If it doesn't exist, create it. Go ahead, it's ok.)
  2. Copy in the files hdtPhysicsExtensions.dll and hdtPhysicsExtensionsDefaultBBP.xml

v9-23 or earlier: Remove the date from the plugin dll filename so that it is now hdtPhysicsExtensions.dll.

Done.
Enjoy the show.

This will get it working first. You can THEN install add-ons afterwards.

See the 2nd post in this thread for load order information and examples.

See the Customize: .xml parameters and editing for . . . customizing the Bounce Kit.

Support.

If you have problems specific to basic installation, start a new thread in this forum. No need to pile all the questions into a single thread anymore. You could reply to this thread, but a new post will get better response.

FNIS is not required
HDT is not an animation.

skeleton_female.hkx
About the file Skyrim/data/meshes/actors/character/character asssets female/skeleton_female.hkx

• If you leave this file intact, it will allow every animation to have HDT Physics attached to them. The animations provide mesh movement for HDT Physics to seed from.
  • If you delete this file, BBP/TBBP animations will not run. It will allow HDT Physics effects by themselves.

They are different effects, neither entirely bad.

________________________________________________________________________________________________

Known Issues

No breast movement
make sure that you have put hdtPhysicsExtensionsDefaultBBP.xml in the /data/skse/plugins along side the plugin dll. Reread the Step By Step above.

Crash to desktop?
You must have a TBBP compatible skeleton. Without it, you will ctd, usually when disrobing, perhaps at other times depending on your install. Reread the Step By Step above.

Crash to desktop and have RaceMenu installed?
Make sure you are using RaceMenu v2.15 or newer. Older versions of nioverride.dll will cause HDT to crash randomly.

Other problems?
Please gather as much detail as possible and make a new post in the forum.

________________________________________________________________________________________________

Troubleshooting

Nuke the site from orbit. It's the only way to be sure.

This is my advice if you are having a consistent and fairly predictable problem of any sort. It's a pain in the ass and time consuming, but in the long run it is the easiest way to solve major problems.

People try very hard to keep their install intact and in the process wind up taking WAAYY longer than if they had just nuked from the beginning. Save yourself hours of frustration and just go thru the pain in the ass of starting from from scratch. Note: You don't have to destroy your current install. Rename or backup your skyrim dir, then reinstall the game and the mods from scratch. Use Mod Organizer (much better than NMM), install the very basics body mods + HDT, make sure it all works, and then build up from there. Your save games will remain untouched if you do this like I describe by moving the old out of the way and downloading new.

Technical Summary:

HDT Physics Extension is a high order (system wise), high demand mod that does things typically reserved for low order (not driver level, but pretty low) software. It's like if you were to open a BurgerShop inside an existing McDonalds using all their stuff to sell your burgers. It basically puts the game engine up on blocks (like a car that's about to get worked on), adds a highly complex feature that the game was never intended to have, and then tries to let everyone go on their merry way. It has succeeded in every case except the few that are caused by mods that do something nonstandard.

Load Order

Final load order

• SKSE
  • HDT Physics Extension
  • Body
  • Skeleton

A lot of problems can arise from incorrect load order. If you are having problems with the most basic install, make sure your load order is proper.

The best way to do manage load order is to use Mod Organizer. It works by compartmentalizing each mod to it's own directory. It then creates a virtual directory structure (in ram) right before loading the game. Therefore, if you need to change your loading order, you can do so without taking down and rebuilding a fragile stack of files piled into the skyrim dir.

Here's what a basic HDT Physics load order should look like

iGi74KcIhP7KH.png

Here's what an install with other crap might look like. (HDT Requirements are unchecked for hiliting)

ibgFJOSAlqxYUV.png

Things of note in the other crap

• HDT Tripples (Bounce Kit) is after the extension
  • Groovetama's Rig is after the skeleton
  • FFW is my own BodySlide and is after everything that affects body including skins

Oh . . . One More Thing...

If you're not using Mod Organizer, you're asking for headaches. 

Jeez, monsto . . . give it a rest, will ya?

Sorry, man. . . it's true. Drag n drop to fix load order? Truly the best tool for Organizing your Mods.

Any Questions?

• 4 weeks later...

Am I the only one getting "OOps!" messages?

No the Link does not work.  What I did was grab the latest file from:

http://www.loverslab.com/topic/25488-hdt-physics-extension-v12-29-latest

I used winwar to extract the 7zip archive (after you downloaded it right click on folder, then extract here) what you get is another folder with files in it.  Open the folder, inside should be some file folders named Data, Skyrim, SKSE, Plugins. and two other files.  Take them last two files copy and paste them in the Skyrim/Data/SKSE/pligins folder.

steam/SteamApps/common/skyrim/Data/SKSE. if you do not have an SKSE folder then make one.

Hi guys, the work you are doing with the physics is incredible.

I'm really trying to understand how to bring all the pieces together (body mesh, skin, animation, skeleton, physics, ...) without mistakes.

Can someone tell me if this is a good setup?

1) UNP (so *not* unpb) body mesh: http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/6709/?tab=1&navtag=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.nexusmods.com%2Fskyrim%2Fajax%2Fmoddescription%2F%3Fid%3D6709%26preview%3D&pUp=1

2) This skeleton: http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/26800/?

3) The mod that add support to bbp\tbbp to UNP meshes: http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/21199/?tab=1&navtag=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.nexusmods.com%2Fskyrim%2Fajax%2Fmoddescription%2F%3Fid%3D21199%26preview%3D&pUp=1

4) These skins\textures: http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/35267/?tab=1&navtag=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.nexusmods.com%2Fskyrim%2Fajax%2Fmoddescription%2F%3Fid%3D35267%26preview%3D&pUp=1

5) HDT plugin

All good? Order too? Please say yes. :D

This should probably be updated and pinned...

Yeah.

edit: whatever, found the answer myself

Hi guys, the work you are doing with the physics is incredible.

I'm really trying to understand how to bring all the pieces together (body mesh, skin, animation, skeleton, physics, ...) without mistakes.

Can someone tell me if this is a good setup?

1) UNP (so *not* unpb) body mesh: http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/6709/?tab=1&navtag=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.nexusmods.com%2Fskyrim%2Fajax%2Fmoddescription%2F%3Fid%3D6709%26preview%3D&pUp=1

2) This skeleton: http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/26800/?

3) The mod that add support to bbp\tbbp to UNP meshes: http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/21199/?tab=1&navtag=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.nexusmods.com%2Fskyrim%2Fajax%2Fmoddescription%2F%3Fid%3D21199%26preview%3D&pUp=1

4) These skins\textures: http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/35267/?tab=1&navtag=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.nexusmods.com%2Fskyrim%2Fajax%2Fmoddescription%2F%3Fid%3D35267%26preview%3D&pUp=1

5) HDT plugin

All good? Order too? Please say yes. :D

This should probably be updated and pinned...

Yeah.

edit: whatever, found the answer myself

Planning on going with a similar setup, how did it work out for you?

Followed every step. 

Removed all to clothes of my newly created char. Nothing bounces. 

This tutorial is so extremely basic. I had tons of issues the first time and it honestly took me 10-15 hours of fucking around and figuring how it all works and how to fix different issues - what was normal conflicts and what was caused by me, etc, etc.

A really good tutorial would of saved me a couple days of pulling my hair out over it, but unfortunately one doesn't exist.

I haven't used HDT long so I'm still a newb but I've got it working pretty well now so I might write a tutorial on here soon enough saying what I did just to help newcomers get it working.

This tutorial is so extremely basic. I had tons of issues the first time and it honestly took me 10-15 hours of fucking around and figuring how it all works and how to fix different issues - what was normal conflicts and what was caused by me, etc, etc.

A really good tutorial would of saved me a couple days of pulling my hair out over it, but unfortunately one doesn't exist.

I haven't used HDT long so I'm still a newb but I've got it working pretty well now so I might write a tutorial on here soon enough saying what I did just to help newcomers get it working.

When/If you do this, please pm Ashal, Monsto or another moderator to ask them to pin the topic at the top.

Hopefully this will reduce the amount of newbies making new help topics for extremely basic or repetitive reasons.

Not that I can honestly say that it's 100% their fault, I mean searching through threads is pretty annoying after all.

It's not their fault at all to be honest, it's difficult enough only to understand what the hell to download between body mesh, compatible ones, skeleton, animation packs, fnis, textures, framework and all those so funny acronyms.

To all this, add there's almost no information on how HDT actually works (it adds bouncing animation when naked and only on some clothes\armours? Who knows) or how it does merge with other animations\body meshes (it conflict with b&b animations? Do I actually need b&b animations?  Who knows).

I gave up an hour ago, no one even cared to answer about my load order.

@Enskyment: if you're really going to make a guide pls take into consideration what I just wrote..people that come here have to pretty much go through those steps. I'll help with my setup if needed, I'm still setting up mod organizer as I should.

Planning on going with a similar setup, how did it work out for you?

Hi Grizzly, not even tried but those should be the right steps. I'll do a normal Skyrim playthrough without the LL mods for now.

HDT is still a WIP and still in the Beta stages and still being tested (imo) and some of us are still not sure about it all, the people that have more knowledge are still working things out eg: weights paints, bones, collisions, etc so info is all over the place, so yes not the fault of newbie's but it's not the fault of anyone else either, it is still a Beta.

It keeps changing so if a guide is posted now, it could be obsolete a few days or a week later (pointing the xml to head or hands instead of the body is a small example and removing Breast01 from weight paints which deals with tbbp for better results which my not work with tbbp anims if you have the wrong skeleton installed etc is another example).

I think people were waiting on it to be a bit more finalized before really posting a more detailed guide and a better weight painted body amongst other stuff, also even with a guide posted and people follow it to the letter, i'm sure there are still going to be problems.

ps. i think monsto has already done a good job with a guide for setting up the basics. 

I'm still trying to get it working too, but I did take the time to read the entire Old HDT thread (and most of a few other threads too) and it seems to me that HDT was originally intended to animate cloth actually. From my own experiences trying to get it to work for BBP TBBP it flattens out the breasts as you walk and run (quite drastically in my case); something that would look perfect for a dress or cloak especially while running, but perhaps not so appealing (at least not at all imo) for breasts.

I read along the way (and have no idea even what thread I saw it in now xD) that someone managed to fix the flattening phenomenon by changing how the breast bones work (flex?) with blender... ie, making them flex less so they stay nice and perky. I'm not familiar with meshing yet and was hoping they might share this skeleton, if permissions were granted ofc (sorry, I can't even remember the users name).

P.S. I'm also curious about the "Havok Object" mod since I installed this initially (probably another HDT-Nooblet move? lol). Should I not be using this now and just install HDT as Monstro has outlined in the op here?

Edit: Just remembered the breast flattening effect only seems to be occuring when I leave the .hkx file in place because I want the BBP TBBP anims to be affected by HDT.

P.S. I'm also curious about the "Havok Object" mod since I installed this initially (probably another HDT-Nooblet move? lol). Should I not be using this now and just install HDT as Monstro has outlined in the op here?

Meh, HDT object works fine... It just takes up an equip slot

You should try CLP's new way by adding the NistringExtraData to female head meshes.

Meh, HDT object works fine... It just takes up an equip slot

You should try CLP's new way by adding the NistringExtraData to female head meshes.

Thanks so much for speedy reply!

Well, if it is only taking up a slot that I'm not even using for anything, then I don't mind leaving it for now, as long as it doesn't have some other negative effect. I imagine it could conflict with another mod that uses the same slot though, so I'll do this eventually (just feeling a bit lazy on a sunday night here atm, lol).

If anyone has a fix for the breast flattening effect, that's what I'm more intent on fixing sooner if possible. I imagine it must have to do with the skeleton, since it seems the flattening effect would be awesome for cloth as intended and I wouldn't want to mess that up by trying to get the bouncing-jiggling I prefer.

Edit: or does CLP's fix make the breast anims not flatten out also?

Well, if it is only taking up a slot that I'm not even using for anything, then I don't mind leaving it for now, as long as it doesn't have some other negative effect. I imagine it could conflict with another mod that uses the same slot though, so I'll do this eventually (just feeling a bit lazy on a sunday night here atm, lol).

If anyone has a fix for the breast flattening effect, that's what I'm more intent on fixing sooner if possible. I imagine it must have to do with the skeleton, since it seems the flattening effect would be awesome for cloth as intended and I wouldn't want to mess that up by trying to get the bouncing-jiggling I prefer.

Download any good bounce kit to fix breast 'flattening'

I can't say I see much in terms of breast 'flattening' issues with HDT. Even the default values don't have that problem.

The only current problem some people still have is 'torpedo boobs' but doing some searching around will show you how to fix that as well.

Download any good bounce kit to fix breast 'flattening'

I can't say I see much in terms of breast 'flattening' issues with HDT. Even the default values don't have that problem.

The only current problem some people still have is 'torpedo boobs' but doing some searching around will show you how to fix that as well.

Hmm, any suggestions for a good bounce kit then?

I have The TBBP animation of Dragonfly, but tbh i was never happy with it, especially the running anim (too much twirling around for my personal taste). I had one for Oblivion that I thought was perfect, it was more of a shudder with each step.

I read that quite a few people had the breasts flattening effect (though maybe most of them had it in the beginning?), but I also found it only seems to happen if you don't delete the .hkx file (so HDT is also affected by bbp and tbbp anims). I found they don't flatten out at all if I delete the .hkx. That's why the one person fixed that issue by making the breast bones more rigid.

I'm using the HDT for Manga file, perhaps that's not the best one?

Edit: It seems I gimped myself by not being very familiar with LL yet and instead of finding the HDT downloads section first (as I just now did) I began by reading all of the "Old HDT Thread" and quite a lot of the other earlier threads thinking I would make myself more familiar with whatever quirks HDT had... Guess I did that and in the process perhaps I learned a thing or two, but I also spent waaaay more time than was needed to get the mod to work properly.

Thanks again for the replies blabba, I'll probably be all good now. xD

• 3 weeks later...

Edited the OP for some clarifications, added info about Load Order . . . that's the cause of 90% of problems.

Seriously, guys, anyone that has problems with these instructions please do one or both of the following:

1. Follow the instructions exactly without any changes.
  2. Post to this thread that you had a problem and what exactly it was.

If the instructions are broken somehow, I need to know so I can fix them.

• 2 weeks later...

for ADEC body 

1. Download and install TBBP main file v 1 01 by Dragonfly Alternate link ---->TBBP main file v 1 01 by Dragonfly
2. Optional Step Install the TBBP stand still idle animation which can be downloaded from the optional files section on this page... This will replace the twirling idle that comes with Dragonfly's default animations.
3. Install ADEC TBBP main body file (nude or nevernude) and select to overwrite all files from Dragonfly's.
4. Download FNIS Behavior Files V3.5 or later Always Necessary Then run GenerateFNISfor Users... Check the box for "SKELETON arm fix"...This fixes the arm casting animation.

I just need to do only step 3 or step 1-3 for install the body

for ADEC body 

1. Download and install TBBP main file v 1 01 by Dragonfly Alternate link ---->TBBP main file v 1 01 by Dragonfly

2. Optional Step Install the TBBP stand still idle animation which can be downloaded from the optional files section on this page... This will replace the twirling idle that comes with Dragonfly's default animations.

3. Install ADEC TBBP main body file (nude or nevernude) and select to overwrite all files from Dragonfly's.

4. Download FNIS Behavior Files V3.5 or later Always Necessary Then run GenerateFNISfor Users... Check the box for "SKELETON arm fix"...This fixes the arm casting animation.

I just need to do only step 3 or step 1-3 for install the body

The reason this works is because ADEC includes a recent XPMS with it's install. Not all bodies do. That's why I put it in the generic instructions to be installed after the body. . . so that it can overwrite old or incompatible skeletons.