applying compression does not affect quality .. reducing image dimensions does!

as long as we find a compression that skyrim engine is happy with that is !!!

if you know a program that does mass comression for dds files ( especially dx1) please share because i was going to do each of your files individually using gimp!

Yes, applying compression can (but doesn't have to) affect quality. Look at the jpg vs png (example source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Portable_Network_Graphics) format for an extreme example. But even dxt can introduce compression artifacts.

And still the format is the Artists decision and nothing I will mess with for a release.

For my personal use I (have to) use Optimizer Textures to compress and downscale my whole Mod collection to 2048x max, as otherwise my Video System gets overloaded.

Edit: Damn, I'm to slow...always getting Ninja'd here xD

DXT5 (mogrify's default for DDS) is a lossy compression. It doesn't compress nearly as much (or lose as much information) as jpeg, but it's not perfect. On the other hand, it does significantly help with the file size, and even the in-memory size on most graphics cards.

Edit: mogrify will mass-compress files.

mogrify -??   what switch not resize and not compress

applying compression does not affect quality .. reducing image dimensions does!

as long as we find a compression that skyrim engine is happy with that is !!!

if you know a program that does mass comression for dds files ( especially dx1) please share because i was going to do each of your files individually using gimp!

Yes, applying compression can (but doesn't have to) affect quality. Look at the jpg vs png (example source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Portable_Network_Graphics) format for an extreme example. But even dxt can introduce compression artifacts.

And still the format is the Artists decision and nothing I will mess with for a release.

For my personal use I (have to) use Optimizer Textures to compress and downscale my whole Mod collection to 2048x max, as otherwise my Video System gets overloaded.

Edit: Damn, I'm to slow...always getting Ninja'd here xD

:)

well far from my info being scientific .. I must have put more than 40 hours so far manipulating dds files for the exclusive purpose of displaying  graphics in skurim tatoos and armor and such :)

here are some facts by trial and errors ..

dx 5 compression ( and it  not at all like jpeg to png process i guess the word compression is not really acurate for what dx is it is more like a codec scheme used  for media translation of web browsers)

dx5 produces files that are DOUBLE the size of DX 1  !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

so what ever that means  I do not know all i Know is dx1  better for my purposes ( keeping total size and quality acceptable in skyrim environment)  it is a the different beween 8 mb and 16 mb size for a 4098 * 4098 image of say a CBBE body!

secondly   you did an amazing job and i really would not dare touch other peoples files unless I really really have to! which I kinda did once I realized that I have to change colors to be slavetat compatible so i am not blaming you at all :)  in fact what ever solution we reach I ll be happy to apply to your stuff and give it to you maybe you can offer a light version for those who care!

finally  : because mogrify is a dx5 tool ...   it is useless with your files save only 0.8  mb from the 22 mb original size!

try this take any whole body file fromyou distribution and run gimp open it and save twice once with dx1 compression and once with dx5 compresion  and then  checkthe size of both files and try to see them in skyrim !!

result will be 

original file 22 mb size

gimped with dx1  will be 8 mb   and looks exactly same in skyrim!

gimped with dx5  ( all flavors) will be 16 mb   size and some of them will not showcorrectly in skyrim!

try the same with mogrify default !

the result

file size is   21.3 mb !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Edit :

seems that  the authors of Skyrim Mods Complex Optimizer - SMCO

agree with me .. this is from their page !

Conversions:

DXT5/3 w/ blank alpha -> DXT1   ( that is what we use for tatoos)

A8R8G8B8 w/ blank alpha -> DXT1

A8R8G8B8 -> DXT5

R8G8B8 -> DXT1

R8G8B8 -> R5G6B5

X1R5G5B5 -> DXT5

R5G6B5 -> DXT5

well far from my info being scientific .. I must have put more than 40 hours so far manipulating dds files for the exclusive purpose of displaying graphics in skurim tatoos and armor and such :)

dx 5 compression ( and it not at all like jpeg to png process i guess the word compression is not really acurate for what dx is it is more like a codec scheme used for media translation of web browsers)

dx5 produces files that are DOUBLE the size of DX 1 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

so what ever that means I do not know all i Know is dx1 better for my purposes ( keeping total size and quality acceptable in skyrim environment) it is a the different beween 8 mb and 16 mb size for a 4098 * 4098 image of say a CBBE body!

secondly you did an amazing job and i really would not dare touch other peoples files unless I really really have to! which I kinda did once I realized that I have to change colors to be slavetat compatible so i am not blaming you at all :) in fact what ever solution we reach I ll be happy to apply to your stuff and give it to you maybe you can offer a light version for those who care!

finally : because mogrify is a dx5 tool ... it is useless with your files save only 0.8 mb from the 22 mb original size!

try this take any whole body file fromyou distribution and run gimp open it and save twice once with dx1 compression and once with dx5 compresion and then checkthe size of both files and try to see them in skyrim !!

result will be

original file 22 mb size

gimped with dx1 will be 8 mb and looks exactly same in skyrim!

gimped with dx5 ( all flavors) will be 16 mb size and some of them will not showcorrectly in skyrim!

the result

file size is 21.3 mb !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I don't need to try. It's all explained here. ;)

Wether ornot I, you or anybody else notices a difference between the format is also of no importance. The Artist, Desufire, chose 4096x4096 dxt5, and that's what I'll offer in the repack, sorry. I simply don't feel that I have any word in that. Feel free to take that to the original mod, if you need to do so.

also feel free to change format for your personal installation as you like. I linked a tool that makes that easy. ;) I have to resize them to 2048x2048 for my personal installation, which brings them down to about 5mb each.

I wouldn't, if I didn't have to.

I will however include a link to the texture Optimizer together with a big file size warning, the next time I update the Page or at the latest tomorrow, as I don't want to spam the update log to much.

Wether ornot I, you or anybody else notices a difference between the format is also of no importance. The Artist, Desufire, chose 4096x4096 dxt5, and that's what I'll offer in the repack, sorry. I simply don't feel that I have any word in that. Feel free to take that to the original mod, if you need to do so.

Bravo.

well far from my info being scientific .. I must have put more than 40 hours so far manipulating dds files for the exclusive purpose of displaying graphics in skurim tatoos and armor and such :)

dx 5 compression ( and it not at all like jpeg to png process i guess the word compression is not really acurate for what dx is it is more like a codec scheme used for media translation of web browsers)

dx5 produces files that are DOUBLE the size of DX 1 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

so what ever that means I do not know all i Know is dx1 better for my purposes ( keeping total size and quality acceptable in skyrim environment) it is a the different beween 8 mb and 16 mb size for a 4098 * 4098 image of say a CBBE body!

secondly you did an amazing job and i really would not dare touch other peoples files unless I really really have to! which I kinda did once I realized that I have to change colors to be slavetat compatible so i am not blaming you at all :) in fact what ever solution we reach I ll be happy to apply to your stuff and give it to you maybe you can offer a light version for those who care!

finally : because mogrify is a dx5 tool ... it is useless with your files save only 0.8 mb from the 22 mb original size!

try this take any whole body file fromyou distribution and run gimp open it and save twice once with dx1 compression and once with dx5 compresion and then checkthe size of both files and try to see them in skyrim !!

result will be

original file 22 mb size

gimped with dx1 will be 8 mb and looks exactly same in skyrim!

gimped with dx5 ( all flavors) will be 16 mb size and some of them will not showcorrectly in skyrim!

the result

file size is 21.3 mb !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I don't need to try. It's all explained here. ;)

also feel free to change format for your personal installation as you like. I linked a tool that makes that easy. ;) I have to resize them to 2048x2048 for my personal installation, which brings them down to about 5mb each.

I wouldn't, if I didn't have to.

I will however include a link to the texture Optimizer together with a big file size warning, the next time I update the Page or at the latest tomorrow, as I don't want to spam the update log to much.

that kind of solve your problem  because all those graphics are fine with 2048 * 2048 !

does not solve my problem with those dragon tatoos though with all those intricate details  every time

I  try to change from 4098   It goes to hell especially the very small tattoos  .. My favorite !! 

murfk, I have a question regarding the mod.  Instead of a limited number of preselected colors it possible for the user to pick out of a gamut of colors, sort of like when doing tints or hair in a character creation mod?

And thanks to NetImmerse Override I'm a happy user of SlaveTats once again.  Thanks for the new version, it's quite nice.

Small details require large files. It's an odd irony of computer graphics.

that is what I am realizing :( !!  I  tried to give users options for all possible locations  but I guess unless they know how to manually delete the files of locations they will not use !! they will end up with having to use gigs and gigs to store those options and I ll put all the good stuff at the bottom of my que!!!!

good news about  Desufire, stuff :)   It is PERFECT with dx1 1024 * 1024    at size of 512 kb!  :)  exactly same quality as the originall 22 mb file  :)

ENB has built-in on-the-fly texture compression. It probably does an awesome job for those nearly blank 22mb dds's we use here.

I'll try to ask Boris about this.

Just to be clear, it will not save your disk space, but reduce the amount of RAM those dds's consume.

BTW, we can lower disk space consumption by packing texture packs into bsa's named "SlaveTats-%whatever_pack_it_is%.bsa". From what i heard, Skyrim should load those bsa's while searching for a SlaveTats.bsa(it loads %modname%*.bsa's it seems).

Dunno about .json's. Those might require to be loose. This depends on how jContainers work.

murfk, I have a question regarding the mod.  Instead of a limited number of preselected colors it possible for the user to pick out of a gamut of colors, sort of like when doing tints or hair in a character creation mod?

It is possible, but not particularly convenient. The MCM color selector only provides those sixteen colors to choose from, but if you're willing to edit the json file, you can have any color you want.

Do this:

• Use a real color picker to choose the color you want
  • Find the HTML code for the color (e.g. #fe7b34)
  • Open up the Windows calculator program (or an equivalent tool)
  • Set it to programmer mode
  • Click the "hex" option
  • Type in the HTML color, without the # (e.g. fe7b34)
  • Click the "dec" option
  • Your number will change (e.g. 16677684)
  • Copy that number, and paste it into the json file as the "color" entry for your tattoo.

And thanks to NetImmerse Override I'm a happy user of SlaveTats once again.  Thanks for the new version, it's quite nice.

Glad to hear it. :) You're welcome.

Ok   I have to share this  ...  It turned out the double sized of dx5 compression over dx1 is Justified  because
dx5 maintains the variations of same color while dx1  loses it!
this showed when I tried to test all of  Coenaculi 's   work   this is very helpfull for me with some of the problems I ve been having with make up  stuff!
so ya unless it is a real solid tattoo without many small tentacles   .. reducing the dimensions is a better way to reduce the size thangoing to dx1!   so dx5 seems to be the best compression format out there even if there is 50 % less option with dx1 .. you end up losing all the degrees of saturation of the brushstrokes used!
love this place :)

That's great, I love this mod. Can I translate your mod to Chinese and share it to the other bbs (bbs.skyrimcitizen.net) ?

You can translate it, but I'll host the translated version here. SlaveTats is a Lovers Lab exclusive.

OK, this is my translated version and tattoo pack.

Would you like to give me a sentence in Chinese (UTF-8 encoded) that I can use to point Chinese speakers to the proper file?

Do you mean this sentence: "Thanks to silentdark for the Chinese language translation. These are the files ending in _CN in the download section."

Here you are: "感谢silentdark的汉化。中文版的文件在下载页面中以_CN结尾。"

Do you mean this sentence: "Thanks to silentdark for the Chinese language translation. These are the files ending in _CN in the download section."

Perfect, thank you.

BTW, we can lower disk space consumption by packing texture packs into bsa's named "SlaveTats-%whatever_pack_it_is%.bsa". From what i heard, Skyrim should load those bsa's while searching for a SlaveTats.bsa(it loads %modname%*.bsa's it seems).

Dunno about .json's. Those might require to be loose. This depends on how jContainers work.

Just tried this with coenaculi makeup, and this does not seem to be working. Looks like current SlaveTats's filepath check prevents setting the tat if it's texture file is not found in a loose form.

Just tried this with coenaculi makeup, and this does not seem to be working. Looks like current SlaveTats's filepath check prevents setting the tat if it's texture file is not found in a loose form.

That's correct, and probably not going to change.

Perfect, thank you.

I have fixed some translation issues, please add it to "Tattoo Pack_CN.7z", thanks.

dominant.7z

Now I actually have a question, the first 2 tattoo slots in Body are greyed out, what causes that ?

Tattoo slots are greyed out because they are locked (like QAYL does), or because there is already a texture in that overlay, and SlaveTats doesn't want to mess with it. Normally, that means you've got a couple of RaceMenu tattoos on.