[Unofficial] Bodyslide 2/Outfit Studio Tutorials

Ok, so I worked out (mostly) how to import and export Skyrim stuff to Blender, and how to fix the NIF files afterwards (wow is that a pain in the butt). I did it so I could separate mesh pieces to make it easier to create Zap sliders. My first project was the CT77 Barkeeper dress.

So I get it all done in Blender, export, fix the nif, and it looks like this:

RfYUSr1.jpg

I then load it into Outfit Studio, go through the process to make it conformable or whatever, add my Zap Sliders, and preview it in Outfit Studio. It changes properly for my custom body, great:

5cAIRzk.jpg

So I load the game with this as the new Barkeeper outfit. Add one to my inventory and try it on. It crashes the game. So I go into the Shape Data to see what it looks like and...

cw5kfLD.jpg

What did I do wrong?

There could've been a whole lot going wrong with the Blender import/export, both for the crash and the misalignment. I don't even know where to start. Maybe you should try the Blender 2.7 alpha plugin, but I don't know if you can do something like split meshes there yet.

Ok, so I worked out (mostly) how to import and export Skyrim stuff to Blender, and how to fix the NIF files afterwards (wow is that a pain in the butt). I did it so I could separate mesh pieces to make it easier to create Zap sliders. My first project was the CT77 Barkeeper dress.

So I get it all done in Blender, export, fix the nif, and it looks like this:

RfYUSr1.jpg

I then load it into Outfit Studio, go through the process to make it conformable or whatever, add my Zap Sliders, and preview it in Outfit Studio. It changes properly for my custom body, great:

5cAIRzk.jpg

So I load the game with this as the new Barkeeper outfit. Add one to my inventory and try it on. It crashes the game. So I go into the Shape Data to see what it looks like and...

cw5kfLD.jpg

What did I do wrong?

There could've been a whole lot going wrong with the Blender import/export, both for the crash and the misalignment. I don't even know where to start. Maybe you should try the Blender 2.7 alpha plugin, but I don't know if you can do something like split meshes there yet.

The NIF is fine on export and after being cleaned up, the error occurs after creating the Bodyslide data.

I've attached the Bodyslide data and the original modified NIF

NephBarkeeper.7z

The mesh is fine on export, and appears correct in Bodyslide. The error occurs after making the Bodyslide sliders.

You mean you load it up in Outfit Studio, conform the sliders, save it, and afterwards in NifSkope it looks off?

Well... make sure when you exported the NIF, it didn't get any "NiSkinInstances" or "NiTriStrips". OS doesn't support those.

Other than that, OS should clear all transforms like rotations, so it's weird that there is just that for you after saving it.

EDIT: Took a look at your Blender exported NIF. You're missing a root NiNode that all other nodes have to be children of.

Add a new NiNode, make it the root of everything else, and redo the Outfit Studio stuff.

I was wondering if anyone here knows if I can use the outfit studio to fix an alignment issue my player characters head hands and feet have with a certain set of armor. I was hopin maybe I could import the head hands and feet and align them or something... A brief explanation would be appreciated :)

Hi, Zoey here, getting up to speed on these cool tools.  Great guides by the way.   One thing I'm trying to understand conceptually; what prevents OS from creating the two _0 _1 nif files when you do a save as.   I got it to do it once by very carefully following the guide, but after that, trying to make fixes or changes no output files would be created.  Any ideas?

Hi, Zoey here, getting up to speed on these cool tools. Great guides by the way. One thing I'm trying to understand conceptually; what prevents OS from creating the two _0 _1 nif files when you do a save as. I got it to do it once by very carefully following the guide, but after that, trying to make fixes or changes no output files would be created. Any ideas?

OS only ever creates one file (Save As, Save and Export) at once. It is BodySlide that takes the source NIF and morphs it into _0 and _1 when building.

There is one thing I don't understand about bodyslide. Skyrim has around 10-15 weight options, bodyslide has two. How is this discrepancy reflected into the game? Does every body that has its weight slider below average become low weight, and those with the slider above high weight?

You are misunderstanding how the game does it. Each armor has a low and high weight version, everything in between is averaged from the two.

Bodyslide lets you customize them to your preference. So your low weight should be below your preference and the high weight above

You are misunderstanding how the game does it. Each armor has a low and high weight version, everything in between is averaged from the two.

Averaged as in, the game creates new meshes on the go using the low and high weights as a reference? That sounds like a lot of work for every body in the game. Then again, if it stores every created mesh, it shouldn't be too hard. Or am I still misunderstanding?

Averaged as in, the game creates new meshes on the go using the low and high weights as a reference? That sounds like a lot of work for every body in the game. Then again, if it stores every created mesh, it shouldn't be too hard. Or am I still misunderstanding?

There are only two meshes, _0.nif and _1.nif. They're both identical except for their shape (which is what you set in BodySlide with the low and high weight sliders).

When your character has its weight at 0.0, then your body/armor will look like your low weight in BodySlide.

If it's at 1.0, then it will look like your high weight.

A weight value of e.g. 0.5 means that it will have the shape exactly in-between the low and high weight.

So if your low is a skeleton and your high is a whale, your in-game weight of 0.5 will be human. :P

Same counts for all other values. The closer you get to one side, the more it will look like it.

There are only two meshes, _0.nif and _1.nif. They're both identical except for their shape (which is what you set in BodySlide with the low and high weight sliders).

When your character has its weight at 0.0, then your body/armor will look like your low weight in BodySlide.

If it's at 1.0, then it will look like your high weight.

A weight value of e.g. 0.5 means that it will have the shape exactly in-between the low and high weight.

So if your low is a skeleton and your high is a whale, your in-game weight of 0.5 will be human. :P

Same counts for all other values. The closer you get to one side, the more it will look like it.

Wow, so the game really does render every body individually. Sounds like a huge improvement over how bodies were in Oblivion.

Does there happen too be any guides for making mashups?

"Load Outfit" and check "Keep current shapes". Delete the shapes you don't need.

Do you mean too load the base outfit you want too work with then do another "load outfit and keep other shapes"?

EDIT: Nevermind, I just tested that out and it works....the possibilities.... Thanks Cell  :lol: !

Edited by Enjuno

How do I go about actually getting the template data? I have a new body-shape I want to use for a template.

You would have to make a slider set XML file for the body then, like the CalienteBody.xml or UnifiedUNP.xml.

Only if it's an actual custom body, though.

If it's just a CBBE or UUNP preset, you don't need a new reference, you can just use theirs instead and apply your preset afterwards in BodySlide.

I can't get it to load as a slider preset though.

Specifically its this: a preset for Reworked Children of the Sky for CBBE body.

What I want to do is use it to quickly convert existing RCOTS (or other child-sized clothes) to bodyslide compatibility. But when I go to Slider -> Load Slider Preset, its not available for me to choose. But its in the Preset list box in Bodyslide itself.

I can't get it to load as a slider preset though.

Specifically its this: a preset for Reworked Children of the Sky for CBBE body.

What I want to do is use it to quickly convert existing RCOTS (or other child-sized clothes) to bodyslide compatibility. But when I go to Slider -> Load Slider Preset, its not available for me to choose. But its in the Preset list box in Bodyslide itself.

Instead of doing "Slider -> Load Slider Preset", you should do a real BodySlide conversion first. This works by loading the "CBBE Body" template and conforming the outfit to all sliders, fixing the clipping and saving the project.

AFTER that, you can select your preset in BodySlide (not Outfit Studio) to apply your own shape.

Basically follow the OS tutorials on how to make a CBBE BodySlide conversion. :)

Wrong: Load your body, load your outfit, apply your preset in OS, fix clipping.

Correct: Load CBBE Body, load your outfit, fix clipping, save, apply your preset in BS.

I think what Nephenee13 actually needs is a conversion reference for "RCOTS -> CBBE" ;)

At least from what i can tell, converting outfits just with the brushes in OS is impossible in acceptable quality - even when the bodies have >90% congruency in shape and volume (like UNPB and CBBE classic).

And the RCOTS preset for CBBE is made from scratch (instead of imitating the RCOTS shape), so the shapes won't be anywhere close to each other.

Making new conversion references probably requires some advanced skill and knowledge, so it might be much easier to pick similar CBBE outfits as replacer.

Anyone here who's experienced in this and won't mind helping me in pm when it comes to using outfit studio? I'll be needing the help in about 2 days and i have absolutely no clue how it works, even when i read the guides on the first page C: I'm still stuck in how to fit armors to cbbe slim ^^' Hell i'm still stuck on how to even load up cbbe slim preset in outfit studio >u<