[WIP] Alternative Riding Styles [Developement/Idea thread]

fingerscrossed

So thought I'd bump this back up to see if there was any progress on it so far.

As well, have you seen the Princess Horse Riding animation yet? Just came out, and edits the riding animations. Of course it doesn't work with mounted combat, but that's not an issue really as mounted combat is pretty bad.

Figured you could work off that to add these animations in. Would be awesome to see. Look forward to seeing how this progresses, and how it is coming along.

So thought I'd bump this back up to see if there was any progress on it so far.

As well, have you seen the Princess Horse Riding animation yet? Just came out, and edits the riding animations. Of course it doesn't work with mounted combat, but that's not an issue really as mounted combat is pretty bad.

Figured you could work off that to add these animations in. Would be awesome to see. Look forward to seeing how this progresses, and how it is coming along.

will that work with a bound hands animation?  would be sweet

• 3 weeks later...
Guest DeleteMePlease

I've recently had small conversation with @fingerscrossed and as I told to him, here is what I plan on "contributing" (the attached file (contains two preview clips that loop)).

I personally like the idea and probably will add some more mountings, mostly beast related (i.e. for wolf/werewolfs and so on) as it goes well with my main project.

About the model so far:

It's made from items and objects from skyrim to fit into the overall look. It's quality and appearance will depend on the textures you are using. All in all I wanted it to look believable (somehow at least...). The pose of the character mounted below could also be turn-able, i.e. her(/his) back facing towards the ground and the stomach towards the horses stomach or also that the head points into direction of the horses genitalia could be possible too.

I will start getting the model into the game this week, the only things I currently am not sure about are the chains, on whether they should be part of the horse model or more like an armor that would be auto-equipped on the player for example (quite easy script).

Sincerely

EB

Post Scriptum: Does anyone know of a site where I could host these kind of videos without violating the terms and conditions? Please send me a PM if someone knows.

Preview Clips.7z

Guest DeleteMePlease

Sorry for the double-post,

I've attached an ingame preview. The whole mount works like an armor an can be equipped by the horse. Only thing missing for this model is the chain-holding. I'll see if I can get the banners to "flow" by weighting them to the tail a bit.

Sincerely

EB

Game Preview.7z

Good to see , ou have started  on this , Replacers aren't a real problem here IIRC , Unless you want all Characters to Ride like that  :s . The Reason I did not pursue this was because I didn't want the replacers and Have no skill at CK for making one without the replacers or actually don't know if it is possible even yet .

Because all riding Animations are taken from the default Horse riding animations you will have to do something like PCEA or similar .

Dont hesitate to ask if you have questions ...

Cheers and Good Luck 

Guest DeleteMePlease

I just throw in another one. The wolf is 1.4 the size of a normal wolf. It could either be made rideable or simply used for any other animation.

Here again, I used skyrim assets for the creation so it blends nicer.

The idea is from this post, even though I've seen the image somewhere else before.

The more mods/mod requests I see come out on these boards that say, "Based on X mod from Oblivion" the more I begin to realize how badly I missed out by not knowing of Lovers Lab when I played Oblivion.

Edit: To contribute:

post-36340-0-97558600-1388215653.jpg

WolfMounting.7z

I just throw in another one. The wolf is 1.4 the size of a normal wolf. It could either be made rideable or simply used for any other animation.

Here again, I used skyrim assets for the creation so it blends nicer.

The idea is from this post, even though I've seen the image somewhere else before.

The more mods/mod requests I see come out on these boards that say, "Based on X mod from Oblivion" the more I begin to realize how badly I missed out by not knowing of Lovers Lab when I played Oblivion.

Perhaps modifying this idea to use a dog model would be better as a dog would be less inclined to attack you, taking it one step futher if you were to add a Great Dane model, albeit an oversized one then the regular canines could be left unaffected.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I never found this mod either .... even thought i still play oblivion T_T

Luxanna had some great ideas for riding styles, but these would require very complex animation work.

On the other hand, the animations that EternalBlack contributed were excellent ( as usual) and almost ready to be used. Which included a version of the dog riding above...

So with this starting material, I think the main missing piece is scripting, and basic dialogs / ways to get "roped in"...

I certainly would be delighted to see that happen!

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Update time?  Update time.

So, it's been a while since I've posted anything here on this.  Part of the reason is that I haven't had much time to work on this and didn't feel like posting "no update" continually.  Part of the reason is that I have found out that animating is, in fact, difficult and Skyrim is, in fact, buggy and fickle. Now, on to the update!

About two months ago, I spoke with EternalBlack who is a very cool guy and gave me some much needed help.  After talking with him, the plan was originally to incorporate what I was doing into his mods.  Part of the reason for this is I have been using a lot of his models, and he made two models (mounting for wolfs/dogs and a mounting for horses) for me to use.  Since he wants to keep them with his mods, we figured it would be easier to just combine my mod into his.

Then I dropped off the radar for about two months.  I sent him a message earlier asking to see if that is still the plan, but as far as I know that is still the plan.  

But, what people are probably more interested in knowing, is what progress has been made on the mod.  Well, at the end of the post I've attached 5 video files showing what I've been up.  The first is a video of a dog and rider, and the basic animation.  The next two are two different takes on the giant (one similar to earlier, the other one I was playing around with that kind of ended up working).  The video of the horse follows this (you'll notice there's no motion in this video, that got broken when I was doing something, I'm not sure what).  Finally, there is a video of a werewolf animation I was working on.

Some notes about these.  Yes, there's currently clipping and some alignment issues.  I've been trying to fix it.  It's hard.  Also, on some of the animations, there is not a lot of movement from the rider.  It's been hard getting everything to match up between the rider and the mount, but I'm further along than I was last time I made a post. 

I don't have an expected release date at the moment, since progress has been coming in spurts.  And before anyone asks, I can't release what I currently have, as there is no usable mod to go with it, and I'm not planning to make one if EternalBlack is still planning to include my animations in his mod.

If anyone downloads the videos and gives them a watch, let me know what you think.

Videos: 

Dog Video 5-29.zip

Giant Style 1 Video 5-29.zip

Giant Style 2 Video 5-29.zip

Horse Video 5-29.zip

Werewolf Video 5-29.zip

Nice to see an update on this. Glad you haven't given up on it. :)

I really like the Dog and Horse one. They came out really neat. Might result in more clipping though, but by chance, could you move them closer to the body of the beast? Instead of just dangling away from it. But if it's an alignment issue, never mind. It still looks really good. Just glad to see someone is still working on this.

A suggestion for the Horse, is maybe have an alternative one like "Belly Riding" style? Something like this (last frame):

182051.jpg

Always felt it looked better with them facing up instead of down. Plus those that use those massive breasts and such, won't have them dragging on the ground. :P

But otherwise, great work. Can't wait to see the finished product.

With the belly riding, I originally had an animation like that.  I put it on the back burner when I got the mountings from EternalBlack, since what I'd made didn't have any mountings, ropes, etc and making them was proving to be far more challenging than it probably should have been.  I'd like to make a face up animation (Maybe using the same bindings, or maybe making like some sort of rope slung over the top of the horse holding the hands and feet in place) but I'd also like to get something out for at least beta testing.

The problem with moving the rider closer on the horse dog animations (and I agree that it looks a little odd with them just dangling) is that I was doing it based off of the location of the animals junk.  Moving the actor up, or over, etc, becomes difficult because it would make it necessary to change the body of the animal, so at the moment they dangle.  This also plays into the problem of different race sizes, since the way height scaling seems to have been done complicates the offsets necessary for the animation (I've been doing everything with a nord actor, height 1, but as soon as you start changing that the actors start misaligning due to the animation needing to be offset).

I think after a certain point I may just say that some clipping is inevitable and leave it at that.

About two months ago, I spoke with EternalBlack who is a very cool guy and gave me some much needed help.  After talking with him, the plan was originally to incorporate what I was doing into his mods.  Part of the reason for this is I have been using a lot of his models, and he made two models (mounting for wolfs/dogs and a mounting for horses) for me to use.  Since he wants to keep them with his mods, we figured it would be easier to just combine my mod into his.

There's just one question I got after reading this. What do you mean with "incorporate it into his mods"?

I appreciate EternalBlack's work, but I would be really dissapointed if you mean that to be able to use this feature I also had to download his Immersive Bodies mod for just a new riding style.

There's just one question I got after reading this. What do you mean with "incorporate it into his mods"?

I appreciate EternalBlack's work, but I would be really dissapointed if you mean that to be able to use this feature I also had to download his Immersive Bodies mod for just a new riding style.

The answer is yes and no.  EternalBlack made the bindings for the horse and dog and he wants to maintain control over what he has made in his mod (which I don't have a problem with).  This means that I would be unable to distribute those items in a stand alone mod, making the animations look, well, odd as there is nothing holding you in place if you didn't have the EB mod that added the mounting.  Since it would end up just being a requirement anyway, the thought was to put the animations in EB's mod for simplicities sake.

For the animations and nifs that are my own (such as the giant or werewolf, or if I made my own bindings for another horse animation or dog animation), those could potentially be part of a stand alone mod containing just my work and any things that I was given permission to redistribute.    

So, the long and the short of it is that EB made some things for the mod and asked me not to redistribute them, and since the animations will likely be linked to the NPC the player is riding it is easier keeping the animations and equipment in the same mod.  This was why EB proposed putting the animations in his mod (so as to keep everything together and help make my life simpler).

If there is interest, I can talk to EB about possibly having a smaller mod just for this so that you wouldn't need the full version of his mod for those riding styles.

cool mod wondering if they could be an optional file to not have horse riding animation there since im accustomed to using princess horse riding by yukl

if not i wouldn't mind 

The plan, currently, is that the animations will not overwrite the generic animations.  In other words, it shouldn't have any mod conflicts if I can get it working like I'd like.  This way NPCs wont ride around strapped into the horse, you could use the princess horse animation normally and this one occasionally, etc.  I've got a few ideas how to do this, but I'm still working on the implementation.

My only problem with that is simply that it seems counter-productive to add those two relatively different features into a single mod, EB's mods are awesome, but it would seem to me more logical to have a mod that adds genders to all creatures and new animations to match, and then another mod for alternative riding styles. That way people can use what they want without being forced to use what they don't.

It's like if you make a mod that adds a set of cool swords with awesome scripted magic effects, but it's packed into a dragon combat overhaul. Maybe there's people who only want the swords, and maybe there's people who only wants the dragons. And honestly, I don't see any use in doing this, other than to have a single download in your mod website, because for the most part you'd be alienating any player who wants only half the mod and can't use the other half because they're not interested or they're using incompatible mods.

Of course it's your decision, and whatever EB decides on this behalf, and I'm not trying to tell you what to do, but unfortunately if there's not going to be a standalone mod for riding styles with horse included, it will make it hard for me to use it. I'm pretty happy with Creature Features and Nude Creatures, and I don't really care much for the possible clipping or mismatched animations. I can always rip EB's meshes from his mod and use them instead with NC, as I was doing before Creature Features was released. I just don't need dragons and wolves with vaginas in my game.

Archived