creation kit error

Guest corespore

Guest corespore

So i recently swapped out my NMM (Nexus Mod Manager) for MO (Mod Organizer) and did a complete vanilla re-install of my game to make sure everything was pristine and i got the game running just fine, same with FNIS, SKSE, BOSS and TES5Edit, they all run just fine from MO's launch list.

So this morning i tried to fire up my Creation Kit to do some modding and i got an odd message saying " Assert. FileC:\_Skyrim\Code\TESV\TES\misc\BGSLocalizationString.ccp". "Line: 2871 LOCALIZATION: Error opening or reading string files.".  Now i can't launch Creation kit from either MO or from the Vanilla launcher. The odd thing is that it will load the skyrim data just fine but it won't load any of my DLC content without Error. I doubt this is a MO issue, I'm certain it happened because i did a complete re-install of my game but this is driving me nuts. If anyone has encountered this before please lend me some help. 

Guest corespore

UPDATE. So i traced the error somewhat to an issue. something called Masterfile.Localization it says "Zero entries or empty block size read from strings file STRINGS/Dawnguard (Hearthfire and dragon born as well) _English.STRINGS. Strings will be missing". I'm not sure what a string is but i borked up the poor little bastard somehow.     

Guest corespore

So it was the missing strings that weren't working. I used BSA browser to track-down the language strings (English in this case), and extracted the .dlstrings .ilstrings and the .strings and then placed them into, program files (86), steam, steamapps, common, skyrim, data, strings. That fixed the issue. Thank you guys for your help. Its odd i didn't even touch that file when i did my vanilla re-install of the game but those files were missing.

So second question how do i mark this thread as answered in the forums so anyone else who has this issue can find it later?

NM im an idiot it was right below my mouse button (facepalm).

• 4 months later...

Just to make it clear (and in case anyone else is as dumb as I am), it turns out you do need to extract the language string files from ALL of the DLC that you own, and not just the one you think you're having problems with. I was upset that this solution didn't work for me as it did for everyone else. I now have a boatload of english strings in my data/dtrings folder as loose files, and can open Creation Kit without problems now.

Thank you guys, my guesswork is over... for now.

Archived