Skyrim Blender Armor conversion Tutorial {{{UPDATE}}}

Zquad1

Wow. I just hit the .exe in X-Blender and it looks like it's ready to just go right out of the box. It has the import option for NetImmerse/Gamebro right at the top of the list, something I haven't been able to accomplish.

EDIT: Has anyone here tried this yet? It does give me the option to import nif files. BUT! When I try I don't get the work/render window. It's just full of small windows with tons of clickable options in it and I don't get to actually SEE the mesh at all. And I can't figure out how to get to either! :lol:

Like I said before, I am a total newbie at this stuff, but I do want to learn it. I figure that after using SOOOooo many mods others have made I'd like to make a few for others to enjoy, too. I have some ideas. ;)

EDIT 2: So I decided to install Blender Nif Scripts 2.5.8 (like in the portable Blender) and now it gives me the option to import nif files. Still and issue with not getting past the windows full of options, though, just as with the portable Blender.

Just where the HELL is the "GO!" button on this damned program? :P

I've never had any issues running the Blender Portable version.

Might be some weirdness in your settings blend file.

Here's the base file that I use for most purposes.

To answer your question regarding Blender version, Room207's Blender portable package includes a Anthony D'Agostino's true normals patch, to ensure compatibility with my Blender Seam mender tool (which I believe Room207 included in the package)

.B.blend.7z

I found that I just didn't have the working window opened enough to find the OK button. I am a freakin' MORON!!! :lol:

Of course, that didn't help me much. I hit OK and it gives me an error and sends me back to the damned cube. Both the installed and portable versions do this actually and with any body mesh I've tried (from an unzipped file, from MO's mod folder and from Skyrim/data/meshes).

So I'll take a look at that, Gerra, and see if that helps.

I do appreciate the help here, guys. I'm sure I'll need more, too. :o

Just work with the portable version for now. From what you've described, some aspect of your other blender install is probably hosed.

So, open the folder that contains the Blender portable install and run Blender from there. Once it's open, go ahead and load the b.blend file I uploaded. (Click File->Open-> and browse to wherever you downloaded the b.blend file to)

Just work with the portable version for now. From what you've described, some aspect of your other blender install is probably hosed.

So, open the folder that contains the Blender portable install and run Blender from there. Once it's open, go ahead and load the b.blend file I uploaded. (Click File->Open-> and browse to wherever you downloaded the b.blend file to)

It is doing it with both the portable AND the installed versions. I have not got a clue as to why, though. It's beyond me I suppose. I guess the Nines really don't want me modding or modeling, huh?

Edit: I don't understand. I just opened Blender and tried again and this time it actually imported a mesh. I don't know why it decided to work now, but I'm not arguing with it. :lol:

Thanks for the help, guys. Now maybe I can learn this tool and churn out some cool stuff for the community.

MAN!!!! Gerra6 THANK YOU soo much for this.   WOW!!!! what a difference the UI & Models are soooo crisp it's like getting a brand new car with that new car smell this is really nice.

Here is a comparison shot:

Blender_comparison.png

Yes, it's helping. I still haven't succesfully converted an armor YET, but I will. :P Right now I am making meshes of various objects just trying to learn all of Blender's tools. Heck, at first it's hard to even figure out how to view an object. The controls are so counter-intuitive. But I am managing. I just built a really awesome mesh for a broadsword. I still have no idea how to apply a texture, though. :lol:

So I import the body then import the armor. Anything special I have to do so that importing the armor doesn't just delete the body? I am assuming I use sculpt on the armor or is there another function I have yet to discover?

Yes, I admit it. I am a total newbie here. The tutorial is helpful, but it seems that it's geared towards someone with a better understanding of Blender than I have. :lol:

PS: It's taking a half hour just to import this damned armor. :P

A word of warning. Many modded armors are actually mash-ups created in Nifskope that can contain an absurd number of geometry blocks (which become meshes in Blender) and hideous numbers of vertices.

If a nif is taking 30 minutes to import, it probably will never import. Instead, at some point it's probably going to pop out some value exceeded error and refuse to do any more work.

When you're in the learning stage, I'd highly recommend starting out with with relatively simple, easy to import nifs. It should be significantly easier to figure out what you're doing when you're dealing with, say, 2 relatively simple meshes instead of 20 extremely complex ones.

I got to agree start out small like grab a pair of Panties & a Bra Like from the UNP UndiesMod

& don't use Sculpt just yet not untill you know what your doing because sometimes using Sculpt can re-arange the verticies & cause the textures to come out looking distorted ingame, for not just use the Proportional Edit Fall off tool it's a round circle right next to the magnet looking icon when your in edit mode that will allow you to grab several verticies at once instead of individually & to select a range hold down cntrl+left mous button & scroll with the center mouse wheel. 

I've been following some tutorials on YouTube to learn some of this Blender stuff. Sadly, it's almost all 2.64 or newer versions. This means I can follow along while building a fancy coffee cup, but as soon as I have to apply a circle to a path I can't find the option in the UI since the UI is so different.

I just can't find any decent tutorials for 2.49 that show how to select faces instead of vertices, how to apply a shape to a path, how to creates faces or any of the more important stuff that I will obviously need if I even want to build a decent staff or sword, for Pete's sake.

So does anyone know a series of videos (or even text with pics I guess) that cover constructing objects with 2.49? I can't find anything decent myself.

I will try to import something simple and see how converting that goes.

Blender 2.49b is best used with hotkeys. Many of its most useful features can *only* be accessed through hotkeys.

Here's a comprehensive list with a brief description of each: http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Blender_3D:_HotKeys/All

Here's the 2.49.b manual: http://www.archive.org/stream/BlenderWikiManualPdf20100622/bm_20100622#page/n0/mode/2up

They're not tutorials, but hopefully they'll help.

So I import the body then import the armor. Anything special I have to do so that importing the armor doesn't just delete the body? I am assuming I use sculpt on the armor or is there another function I have yet to discover?

Yes, I admit it. I am a total newbie here. The tutorial is helpful, but it seems that it's geared towards someone with a better understanding of Blender than I have. :lol:

PS: It's taking a half hour just to import this damned armor. :P

Import the armor First, then delete the skeleton, & then Delete the Body that got imported with the armor if a body was attached to the armor that is.

then press A A on your keyboard to select ALL  pieces of the armor, then Import your new body once the Body has been imported right click on the Body to select it, then press Alt+P on your keyboard & select Clear Parent. then form the armor to the body.

Blender 2.49b is best used with hotkeys. Many of its most useful features can *only* be accessed through hotkeys.

Here's a comprehensive list with a brief description of each: http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Blender_3D:_HotKeys/All

Here's the 2.49.b manual: http://www.archive.org/stream/BlenderWikiManualPdf20100622/bm_20100622#page/n0/mode/2up

They're not tutorials, but hopefully they'll help.

Thanks for these. While not tutorials they are very helpful. Now, while using a laptop, I can FINALLY pan around my object. That PDF showed me how to emulate a 3 button mouse and that alone is priceless. Know how difficult this is with a two button mouse (or laptop touch pad)? :lol: I've already learned a bunch from these.

My wanting to apply Bevier circles (or anything else) to a path still isn't answered, though, because those things only explain what they are and don't explain how to actually apply them. :(

• 3 weeks later...

I really like how the Blender I downloaded from this topic doesnt let me import .nifsattachicon.gifUntitled.jpg

Check the Main Page I updated it, adding the X-Blender Portable version which includes v2.49 & all the required tools needed all rolled into 1

you no longer need to install all the plugins just to get the darn thing to work.

again check the Main page for the download.

you'll like it....... I guarantee it.

Thanks for all the replys guys, just got home and haven't tried 2.49 yet (downloaded it from a webite I was linked to, niftools) . Last night before bed I gave the one I downloaded a shot and I was just looking at it at like "why the hell doesn't this look anything at all like the pictures??" I was sitting here wondering what I was overlooking.

*Edit, how long is it supposed to take when you import the body? and hit alt p (do you hit alt+p?)

Is there not a way to move certain parts of a mesh? Or can I only do basic scaling?

Basically what I was trying to do was to convert one of the armors from Children of the Sky to SevenBase B-Cup, I can get it to look decent on the back but the the front clips through. If I change the scale it changes the whole thing making it look really bad, I want to move the chest forward and the ass backwards to everything is covered correctly

Edit*Can you convert armors from men to women? I really wanted to have the revealing SOS armors equiped on my character

Edit2* Nope! That was a nice waste of 7 hours or so

yes you can move any vertecie you like, you can select either 1 or Multiple verticies. 1 of many ways is to go into edit mode where the verticies are purple & press BB on the keyboard you will see a circle use your center mouse wheel to adjust the size of the circle, the hold down the left mouse button & & basicly color the verticies you want to move. then move them.

& Yes you can convert ANY outfit to fit ANY Body type Even putting on a Female skimpy outfit to a male body.... 

Just import the Female outfit, delete the femalebody that might come with it, then Import the Male Body & then form fit it..

Hi Zquad1 !

I wanted to thank you for your tutorial, I managed to make my convertion in a few hours because of you !

post-69958-0-67669800-1403050500_thumb.jpg

post-69958-0-40565400-1403050511_thumb.jpg

Yet... everything went well until I test it in game... I wanted to convert the Spriggan Armor from Nalim into a male version for the SOS body. I went through a lot of trouble just to test it in game because Nalim had set a normal male armor in case of someone would put the spriggan armor while not a female. Which I did, then I figured out how to edit its .esp  to link my conversion to a male user. An error message appeared and in game I could only see a big warning triangle. I reaaaaaaallly really want this armor to work so Baaaaaaad, but I'm kinda lost... I don't think I missed something so maybe it's something else ? If it would happen that you had some time to check what might have gone wrong on my NIF it would be really nice  ~

post-69958-0-76687300-1403051671_thumb.jpg

Also, I'm learning from scratch ... so I hope you understand it might seems a bit complicated to me ;)

SprigganCuirass_0.nif SprigganCuirass_1.nif

Archived