Skyrim Blender Armor conversion Tutorial {{{UPDATE}}}

Zquad1

This is perfectly normal for Skyrim and nothing to worry about. However, when you export the nif there is a very good chance that vertex normals will be added to it automatically by the export script. If this happens, I believe that you can manually delete the vertex normals using Nifskope.

If I'm not mistaken, the NifCleaner tool deletes these when you go through the cleaning process of the mesh after export:

http://www.pic-host.org/images/2014/03/05/01.jpg

This tool is nice & all But when you click "To Blender" sometimes (but not all the time) it deletes more then it should & it will cause a miss alignment of the meshes. Like so--->

Yeah. Skyrim modding is a mess of incompatible skeletons with sometimes radically different bone transforms. This wouldn't be an issue, except that when a mesh is rigged, weighted vertices inherit those bone transforms when they are skinned as their root transform. If anything at all touches those bone transforms, the rigged mesh inherits the corresponding transforms.

I don't have a great deal of experience with Bodyslide but from what I understand, it has a tendency to modify bone transforms without compensating for the effect that this will have on rigged meshes.

My Mesh Rigger tool has a fairly extensive algorithm that allows you to re-rig a nif from one skeleton to another, with a bind adjustment option that will ensure that the mesh retains the same in-game behavior with the new armature.

One thing that you could try is to export the nif from Blender, run Mesh Rigger to re-rig the nif using the bodyslide skeleton (just use any nif rigged by bodyslide as the skeleton template), and then run nif cleaner. With luck that should work-around the issue.

Ghostwalker and Neomonkeus are still working on the Blender 2.6x niftools, but testing looks reasonably OK at this point. Hopefully, all of these Blender work-arounds won't be necessary for too much longer. For my part, I plan on adding an option to the import script that will bwe able to automatically compensate for different bone transforms on import.

• 2 weeks later...

Nice tutorial - this one was really helpful. I know my way around Oblivion modding but Skyrim is a lot more complicated with a lot of manual steps involved. I was finally able to get a mesh in-game with this one - thanks!

I second the use of NifCleaner for using before importing into blender and after exporting from blender. It made the process a lot simpler.

I can convert armors easily into another body on 3ds max based on Nightasy tutorials, however I have no idea how to do that on blender, and somehow 3ds is crash and freeze often which is very annoying, well at least on my PC, I'm searching tutorials online about how to convert armor through blender, and now I found it!

Thanks a million Zquad1!! you are my life saver :P this tutorial is extremely useful for me

I can convert armors easily into another body on 3ds max based on Nightasy tutorials, however I have no idea how to do that on blender, and somehow 3ds is crash and freeze often which is very annoying, well at least on my PC, I'm searching tutorials online about how to convert armor through blender, and now I found it!

Thanks a million Zquad1!! you are my life saver :P this tutorial is extremely useful for me

Your Welcome I am very happy to hear it's helping alot of people that was my intention I wanted to make it as simplified as possible I can not stand reading a tutorial that goes into explanation for every action you do people just want to convert a piece of armor & get on playing their game.  Most tutorials either go into explanations & lose you before you even get started or they lack important info & they still lose your attention due to lack of details.

If you're looking to convert armor from one body type to another, take a look at the my automated Clothing Converter

http://www.loverslab.com/topic/27557-new-clothing-body-type-converter-beta42-3-17-2014/

I will give this a go I am always looking for a better & easier way to convert armors, I have not tried 3DSMAX much, mainly I can't stand listening to the explanations of every action It loses my attention really fast, I just want him to say "Click here, Click there" & the Body Slider also seems interesting so I might give that one a go also.

• 2 weeks later...

{{{UPDATE 2}}}

OK everyone I have updated my Tutorial just slightly, I added a very Small Tutorial on how to get your newly converted armors into game after Blender & after setting up your New .nifs in their proper folder structures via Creation Kit. it's located in my  Downloads on the front  Page. it's in MS word & it DOES include Pics.

• 1 month later...

Total noob here. I was wondering how to get a body mesh (just the mesh for some minor alterations) into Blender 2.49. I've used Nifskope a little bit and have hardly used Blender. But I want to learn this stuff.

Do I need any extra Blender tools to handle nif files? Can I use Nifskope to export them, and how exactly if I can?

OK, I went and installed Blender 2.49a, PyFFI, Python and BlenderNifScripts. But when I point it at a .nif file I get a warning that Blender doesn't recongnize that kind of file.

This is really maddening, guys. Anyone got a clue what's going on here? I've spent a couple hours so far getting a big runaround from multiple tutorials on what files are needed. So I've installed 3 different versions of Blender and the associated files mentioned above. NONE of them will open a goddamned .nif file at all. Can someone PLEASE help me out a little here? Maybe point me to the exact versions of these that they're using and that actually work?

EDIT: I just noticed the "Blender.rar" file in the OP. DERP! Now I'll try those versions and see if they work better. Finger are crossed! :lol:

EDIT2: While installing PyFFI it gave me a warning and asked if I wanted to install Blender (which I already did) before trying again. Is this an issue. I got it earlier, too, and none of my other combos of files worked. I guess I'll have to fire it up and see if this works now.

Make sure you have this version of  Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 ReDistributable Package (x86)

& Install the Files in this Order: 

1. Install Python

2. Install Blender

3. Install PYFFI

4. Install NifScripts

5. Install Nifskope

Will do.

Following your tutorial I get this far....

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

1. Open your weight_0.Nif & weight _1.Nifs of your armor & Body type.

2. Under “Block List” Drop the NiNode Tree.

3. Open the First NiTriShape Tree.

4. Highlight, the BSLighting ShaderProperties.

5. Right click, & go to “Block”, “Remove Branch”

6. do the same for NiAlpha Properties as well.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Then I realize I can't even find "NiAlphaProperties" in the list. :o

I am trying to import a body mesh into Blender. That's what I'm trying to do. I'll be back after reinstalling in a different order.

When I go to install PYFFI I get a message....

=========================================================

Blender's user data files (such as scripts) do not reside in Blender's installation directory. Blender will sometimes only find it's scripts if Blender's user data files reside in Blender's installation directory.

Do you wish to abort installattion, and first reinstall Blender?

----------------------------------------------------------

Is this my problem? It can't find the nif scripts because of how it's set up perhaps? I did tell it to use the installation directory, or at least I am pretty sure that's what I told it to do every time.

EDIT: I guess I used the application directory. :lol: That was probably my problem all along, and I'll find out soon. If that's the case then I feel like a total imbecile for wasting HOURS trying to get this up and running. Is there a facepalm smiley here? I need one about now. And some liquor. :D

This is the Best way I can explain how to install Blender 2.49 I follow this every time I need to Install or ReInstall Blender.-----> http://wiki.tesnexus.com/index.php/Installation_of_Blender

as for the NiAlphaProperties it really depends on the outfit your altering the NiAlphaProperty is used purely for transparencies some outfits or pieces of an outfit may or may not contain NiAlphaProperties, so if you don't see one don't worry if ones not there it just means that mesh doesn't require a nialphaproperty.

Man I'll tell ya I too get those facepalm moments, sometimes I even have problems installing this program, if there is anything you don't understand don't hesitate to ask. the only dumb question is the one never asked.

So I am assuming that a body mesh doesn't have one. :D

But I still can't get Blender to open a nif either using the import function or the open command. I have no idea what's going on here. And it seems I installed it like I was supposed to, both in the order you outlined and on the TES link.

I guess the Nines have decided I'm not supposed to be doing any modeling. :(

you'll get it if your determined too!! It was a very long road for me to not only get Blender to work but to actually convert my first piece of armor.

You are correct the Body does not have a NiAlphaProperty. 

Did you go to "FILE" "IMPORT" "NetImmerse/Gamebryo" (.Nif & .kif &.egm) &  if so what happened from there?

you'll get it if your determined too!! It was a very long road for me to not only get Blender to work but to actually convert my first piece of armor.

You are correct the Body does not have a NiAlphaProperty. 

Did you go to "FILE" "IMPORT" "NetImmerse/Gamebryo" (.Nif & .kif &.egm) &  if so what happened from there?

There is no NetImmerse/Gamebryo option even in the list, man. :dodgy: Yet I added the BlenderNifScript addon so it should be there, shouldn't it?

I haven't had a problem with the NifSkope part of all this. It's getting the nif files into Blender that is really twisting my nipples.

Archived