RaceMenu or ECE ?

dje34

2,300 members have voted

1. 1. Which Character Creation Mod do you prefer ?

• RaceMenu
    • ECE
    • Other (please, tell us)

ECE killer feature is vertex editor, that makes possible change character face in any way you want.

this one enough to vote for ECE

Next update of RaceMenu will have the vertex editor as well.

I personally use RaceMenu. I got tired of making patches for ECE pretty fast. I don't use a lot of mods that make race ref changes but enough that it became a problem. Plus CME updates on load which make it incompatible with pregnancy mods which I couldn't figure out how to fix...

They both do the same thing, it's just that RaceMenu current has 0 compatibility problems and does more currently (more face and skeleton morphs, extra scars, preset saves are better designed). So it's up to personal tastes. I do think that ECE is easier to use for less artistic people though.

ECE has had reliable chargen on updates and with custom race support.

RaceMenu with CharGen Extension I ran into numerous problems when attempting to add a custom race just to get the features, and it still wouldn't work. Use the extension features and save face to a slot(which has less save slots than ECE), and upon loading face slot on new game, it basically forgets majority of my face changes defeating the purpose of the slot save - which then lames out the ability to share/trade face saves.

RaceMenu lacks a Vertex editor, a feature in ECE I've yet to dabble with but the potential is immense(I should learn it). 

ECE is missing some crucial stuff that RaceMenu can do, like stacked warpaints, body tattoos and skins(like chainmails), and from a recent mod that allow you to scale more body parts like foot size.

The features RaceMenu has that ECE doesn't, isn't enough for me to switch back. Especially with how I feel about CharGen extension at the moment, as I felt versions before 2.0.0 were better(but I don't know the inner workings of what the new ones brought to the table, it just ruined my character's faces on like every update).

RaceMenu with CharGen Extension I ran into numerous problems when attempting to add a custom race just to get the features, and it still wouldn't work. Use the extension features and save face to a slot(which has less save slots than ECE), and upon loading face slot on new game, it basically forgets majority of my face changes defeating the purpose of the slot save - which then lames out the ability to share/trade face saves.

RaceMenu lacks a Vertex editor, a feature in ECE I've yet to dabble with but the potential is immense(I should learn it). 

ECE is missing some crucial stuff that RaceMenu can do, like stacked warpaints, body tattoos and skins(like chainmails), and from a recent mod that allow you to scale more body parts like foot size.

The features RaceMenu has that ECE doesn't, isn't enough for me to switch back. Especially with how I feel about CharGen extension at the moment, as I felt versions before 2.0.0 were better(but I don't know the inner workings of what the new ones brought to the table, it just ruined my character's faces on like every update).

Each CharGen version (Nuska & ECE) comes with 2 ini files, morphs and races. In the races file you just have add your custom races id and they will load with the morphs. If you forget to add them or mess up the name. You'll have problems like you did. Expire6978 has this on the main mods page but nobody reads it till they come on to complain :P

Inside the race file looks like this. You just add the ~Race and the ~RaceVampire.

# Determines what sliders are available for the particular race

NordRace             = sliders\human.ini

NordRaceVampire      = sliders\human.ini

ImperialRace         = sliders\human.ini

ImperialRaceVampire  = sliders\human.ini

BretonRace           = sliders\human.ini

BretonRaceVampire    = sliders\human.ini

RedguardRace         = sliders\human.ini

RedguardRaceVampire  = sliders\human.ini

OrcRace              = sliders\human.ini

OrcRaceVampire       = sliders\human.ini

DarkElfRace          = sliders\human.ini

DarkElfRaceVampire   = sliders\human.ini

HighElfRace          = sliders\human.ini

HighElfRaceVampire   = sliders\human.ini

WoodElfRace          = sliders\human.ini

WoodElfRaceVampire   = sliders\human.ini

ECE by far for me. It's just much cleaner and the vertex editing alone makes it a win.

Tried RaceMenu, but the interface for it was unattractive. Plus had too many issues with trying to get it to work properly and make it compatible with other mods. ECE works fine right from the get go and haven't ever had any issues with it.

Each CharGen version (Nuska & ECE) comes with 2 ini files, morphs and races. In the races file you just have add your custom races id and they will load with the morphs. If you forget to add them or mess up the name. You'll have problems like you did. Expire6978 has this on the main mods page but nobody reads it till they come on to complain :P

Inside the race file looks like this. You just add the ~Race and the ~RaceVampire.

# Determines what sliders are available for the particular race

NordRace             = sliders\human.ini

NordRaceVampire      = sliders\human.ini

ImperialRace         = sliders\human.ini

ImperialRaceVampire  = sliders\human.ini

BretonRace           = sliders\human.ini

BretonRaceVampire    = sliders\human.ini

RedguardRace         = sliders\human.ini

RedguardRaceVampire  = sliders\human.ini

OrcRace              = sliders\human.ini

OrcRaceVampire       = sliders\human.ini

DarkElfRace          = sliders\human.ini

DarkElfRaceVampire   = sliders\human.ini

HighElfRace          = sliders\human.ini

HighElfRaceVampire   = sliders\human.ini

WoodElfRace          = sliders\human.ini

WoodElfRaceVampire   = sliders\human.ini

I read that on the page, and in the replies.

I also read that it's bugged and the last lines won't load in correctly, and that you had to put the race names at the top of the list and it still didn't work.

Tried adding the custom races to no avail.

Also it has this issue where with custom races it would leave a neck gap and I had to re-install the custom races and chargen to get rid of it, and this was just when I was repeatedly updating chargen ext one time when he put out multiple updates in a single day.

It also doesn't solve the issue of morphs defaulting when loading a face slot save making you damn near recreate the face again, defeating the purpose of saving them. 

I also read that it's bugged and the last lines won't load in correctly, and that you had to put the race names at the top of the list and it still didn't work.

Also it has this issue where with custom races it would leave a neck gap and I had to re-install the custom races and chargen to get rid of it, and this was just when I was repeatedly updating chargen ext one time when he put out multiple updates in a single day.

It also doesn't solve the issue of morphs defaulting when loading a face slot save making you damn near recreate the face again, defeating the purpose of saving them. 

I was able to put in 10 custom races so far and go back and for between their saves with 0 issue. Might be a user error. I play a lot and never had a face default ever... in any version. Only had to remake my faces once and that was when 2.0.0 came out. And I use both Nuska and ECE morphs. But that's just my experience.

Guest Alterspirit

ECE all the way. Sureee I like RaceMenu because it itches to see the regular layout but with ECE you can get your avatar looking so much better. I'm pretty sure you can combine the two but you won't get as many of the ECE options as you would without RaceMenu. If they made a combination I'd be happy forever ;-;

I prefer ECE not just because of the vertex editor, but because I see a lot of the feature in Racemenu really unnecessary.

Don't see the need for the tattoo overlays for the body. I could just open gimp anytime and apply tattoos with more customisability and with BodyChange anyone can isolate their characters body with the NPCs. Some of the features like "displaying racial skill bonuses" do not arouse interest. Racemenu has similar features like ECE (e.g light options), but I feel like there's less options and overall ECE does better. The features that come with Racemenuplugin.esp seem pointless compared to the sliders added by ECE such as the "head size" adjuster. I prefer my characters to have a decent head to body ratio without being a giant. The features that come with Racemenumimic.esp can be useful but there will be problems such as: facial presets/morphs, unnecessary features such as: hair color/type, and scars.

Despite my criticism, remember you are entitled to your own opinion. Whether you choose Racemenu or ECE is entirely your choice and doesn't make you less, of a human.

edit: my mistake, there is a "head size" slider for RaceMenu. Nevertheless its good to see that RaceMenu is getting better with every update. The updates might go to the point where it's just personal preference. In spite all this I celebrate the diversity of the community :D.

I decided to add my character to the conversation. Still having confidence issue (but I do need feedback after all) of whether to post my characters in public.

I created this character without using ECE or RaceMenu, ended up making a pixy looking young-Imperial.

post-55790-0-43609500-1383496727_thumb.png

Still not completely comfortable with the loads of feature ECE added. Tried my best anyways. I'm planning for this character to be a half-rogue, half-mercenary bounty hunter-esque (?) something along those lines. A highly independent Imperial/elf women. So in-comparison to my previous character, she has a more athletic body proportion. Supposedly fit for combat.

post-55790-0-26044600-1383496749_thumb.png

Well I'm not sure if anyone views this thread anymore but I've been editing my character alot the past month. So update

post-55790-0-19141900-1389877854_thumb.png

I need to change the nose alot. The lack of enough poly is visible even at a distance.

Racemenu for best looking characters:)

Ive used ECE terible experience with making characters, last i used it was around 5 months ago so maybe alot changed dunno but im pleased with RACEMENU.

Its offcorse matter of taste and prolly useless argue about it.

But you can't say this is badly dont by RACEMENU right?

The options for elf race btw is limited due to limitations mod give an options.

To one of above posters RACEMENU also have headsize and many more sliders now tweaking your character that prolly is inspired by ECE to implement?

Racemenu -- I went for it, initially because I could then save the face and body values to the clipboard (and paste the contents into Notepad for later use), and don't run the risk of messing up stats. Racemenu and ECE seemed to be working okay at first, hand in hand, but eventually they had differing methods that one broke the other. So I was forced to take off ECE until I picked up the Chargen Extensions.

BTW, after trying a couple of custom race mods, I decided to go back on being a regular Nord. And if I want my character to sport her own custom ink, body mesh or skins, I use this from Ishara, without having to create a custom "vanilla" race:

http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/mods/44938

I used ECE once, and my character turned into an ape : / 

I prefer Racemenu though despite ECE having some options I wish Racemenu had. 

The Racemenu UI is cleaner imo and easier to navigate. 

I was able to put in 10 custom races so far and go back and for between their saves with 0 issue. Might be a user error. I play a lot and never had a face default ever... in any version. Only had to remake my faces once and that was when 2.0.0 came out. And I use both Nuska and ECE morphs. But that's just my experience.

Installing both was easy enough, double clicking the files in the manager. If anything it's a load order conflict, and as such, that's something I don't have to deal with with ECE. Especially since BOSS was sorting it at the time(I manually sort now, though).

Speaking of which, it's extra plugins, with ECE I just use 2. Btw, I was using Nuska and ECE morphs.

EDIT: And I'm not losing my mind about the screwed up .ini lines, even the author admitted to it being a problem. The latest update for CharGen fixed it(an update from a couple of days ago), but I've stopped using it for weeks.

Archived