[WIP] Skykids - Child races & other technical goodies - No more armor patcher! New CotS R2 Race!(6/22/15)

real quick question will this work with the bow animation and the duel sword animation? For instance are the weapons going to suddenly grow once you take them off your back?

new animation running with bow

http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/mods/16975/?

DspSob - Duel sheath plus shields on back

http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/mods/17746/?

Pretty combat idols

http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/mods/15703/?

I know Duel sheath and shields work you just have to update the skeleton with the xpms skeleton to match it.

Changing the skeleton from the provided one will remove the custom scaling setup on the race, and it will detract from the look as a result. The mod is already using XPMS.

This poses a rather interesting question of how the hell to fix this without having to redo a lot of work... Personally I've just not noticed the issue with my enb on...

En_hawk, I'm not sure if this will be helpful at all, but (as you probably know) I had the same problem with Fallout meshes using the upperbody slot. However the fix turned out to be easy, this is what I did:

1. Assemble a full-body mesh in NifSkope including all the body parts, using a single, full skeleton as a base.

2. Import this body into Blender, delete the skeleton.

3. Import the armour. Delete weights and re-weigh. Import the skeleton you used as a base at the end.

4. Export the .nif with the skeleton. Delete the body parts you don't need in NifSkope (head, hands, etc.)

5. Import into CK, check for gaps - there shouldn't be any.

Hope this helps.

I want to fix the body not the hands. Fixing the body is still a pain in the ass though, as I have to update every single converted mesh/armor, however if I were to edit the hands I would have to update the same things, as well as every piece of user created content to ever come out. I'm trying to not deviate from the standards for compatibilities sake, but its going to be a pain in the ass no matter how I come at it. Really at this point I just try to ignore the seam, you really can't see it unless you're looking for it.

For the NPC replacer bit mostly just need to decide how each NPC should look. It's a pretty obnoxious process trying to get vanilla facegen parts to not look like a horror show. Trying to make them all unique on top of that? Out of my league. :(

I've managed to get expired/nuska's morphs working by adding extensions in the morphs.ini file for the CharGenExtension plugin for RaceMenu (http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/mods/36925/?), although scaling is problematic for males because they seem to use similar stuff to the females, which I'm gonna go in and try to fix by just having the morphs redirect to their female sliders. Hell if someone out there is talented enough, they might be able to make their own custom sliders for this race by using it. Might I suggest using Racemenu to export .npc files to simplify the process? Or will that cause any compatibility problems?

EDIT: Got it to work flawlessly using the female sliders instead and linking them to the male .tri files.

en_hawk will have to speak to the morphs and stuff. Seems like most of the facegen mods I used to use have all vanished or been absorbed by ECE.

I just take what I'm given and try to make the best of it haha. The first batch of presets was rushed, some I'm happy with some not. But given how long I spent going back and forth tweaking one little thing at a time trying to make it all feel right, ugh. I can't even imagine having to do that for every NPC child in the game.

As for rolling something into racemenu I'm doubtful, in-game skeletal scaling on a skeleton not meant for it just leads to a bad time.

The problem is the further you roam from vanilla the wider the impact becomes. Before you know it the cheeks or the nose or the eyebrows or something is wrong on every single race and NPC again. And then you run screaming into the forest, never to be seen again. :P

This is all en_hawks show, I'm just here to heckle... I mean, err... help.

this is pretty amazing. I'll be trying it out soon!

I know you're planning to do vanilla children but I say design new child npc's first. I'd love to see these  little rascals running around causing havoc

if you want to save time on vanilla children maybe this mod will offer a resource or you can make a patch to it xchildren.

Having a problem here with the SK Armor Patcher.  When I try to run it it keeps saying that Eyes of Beauty esm is missing a master file (specifically the Skykids esm) even though that file is there and is still in the same location it was before the patcher stopped working.

Having a problem here with the SK Armor Patcher.  When I try to run it it keeps saying that Eyes of Beauty esm is missing a master file (specifically the Skykids esm) even though that file is there and is still in the same location it was before the patcher stopped working.

Make sure to launch Skyrim's launcher and check that the Skykids esm is checked, and hit OK. Only selected esms are detected.

I know you're planning to do vanilla children but I say design new child npc's first. I'd love to see these  little rascals running around causing havoc

if you want to save time on vanilla children maybe this mod will offer a resource or you can make a patch to it xchildren.

Could be, but I'm not sure morphs could work all right, I mean those are meant for other head ressources, right?

Well it worth a try though but you could end up with ugly deformed monsters :)

Anyway I'm following this mod can't wait for the npc part!

Could be, but I'm not sure morphs could work all right, I mean those are meant for other head ressources, right?

Well it worth a try though but you could end up with ugly deformed monsters :)

Anyway I'm following this mod can't wait for the npc part!

Basically that; the head and facegen assets are completely different. Theoretically, I could create a new addon race with its own unique facegen assets(like I've already done with the other two addon races), load up the xvision assets, and then port the npcs over to that new race. That would give them access to the technical improvements in this mod and get them in game, but it would basically just be an exact copy of the original mod. I'm not sure how I feel about basically copying someone else's entire mod...

Don't want to cheer to early, but I just had a look at the character creation menu and I must say:

THIS ONE IS GREAT!!! Thanks so much for sharing!

Despite the fact that some kid races are not yet finished (some male counterparts), this mod is more than a simple beta already now. I will instantly start a new playthrough. Even orc children are now contained - a race which is quite often neglected by modders. I can safely stall / quit all my work on child races (which had come to a halt anyway due to exhaustion) and use this one.

The armor patcher is nothing else but a stroke of genius. I have not tested it in ingame yet, but as far as I've seen the patch creation worked flawlessly (btw.: I use Wrye Bash standalone 304.2 and BOSS and with its built-in user list manager).

However, I want to mention that a new set of Unofficial Patches had been released (you know: USKP, UDGP, UHFP, UDBP). You should therefore - if you use these, that is - remember to upgrade the Race Compatibility Patches you need for the child races to version 1.82. Find them here:

http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/mods/24168/?

My conclusion: This is a more than worthy successor for the regrettably abandoned Children of the Sky-Mod! Test it, guys!

And boy do those assets get around. Might be doable with some tweaks. Most of those faces I'm OK with but some of the boys faces are truly terrifying. I don't think they even break immersion as long as you texture properly and untint.

On a totally random note you know what I want? Like pipe dream feature? You know how some of the NPCs have AI that makes them interact with stuff you drop? Like they will sometimes pick it up and give it back to you? Or guards will give you a hard time for littering? I want children NPCs to either automatically take that stuff and wear it or have a dialog option for the same effect. I find it darkly amusing to envision running through town throwing weapons and armor in a pile and coming back through later to find a heavily armed militia of NPC kids haha.

I have a question though. I heard that for vanillia kids  they can't equip magic or even fight without removing the child flag on the race records, and if you do this, in turn, you lose interaction with the kids.

Will it be fixed in the npc patch? And out of curiosity, how will you do it?

Last, I use some mods that modifies the vanillia npc children scared children (children does not report crimes as they are removed from crime factions), children overhaul(adds quest and items to childrens, make some as follower) will they conflict?

Thanks for your answers

I have a question though. I heard that for vanillia kids  they can't equip magic or even fight without removing the child flag on the race records, and if you do this, in turn, you lose interaction with the kids.

Will it be fixed in the npc patch? And out of curiosity, how will you do it?

Last, I use some mods that modifies the vanillia npc children scared children (children does not report crimes as they are removed from crime factions), children overhaul(adds quest and items to childrens, make some as follower) will they conflict?

Thanks for your answers

I'm not sure about the interaction part, but yeah generally you have to remove the child flag to make them do much of anything outside their vanilla behavior. The mods you mention will undoubtedly conflict, but I can just make compatibility patches for them when the times comes.

What I love about this work is that the body / head mismatch / seam problem you have with most body bods that are based on UNP had been addressed properly. This mod really has its own, hand-fitted resources as far as I can see. Looks absolutely great in-game.

Hopefully there will be some experienced modders who will convert some of the CotS-armors to this mod (although there already is a whole bunch of vanilla armor available for this body type out of the box).

I'm having some problems with the Drow addon. When i switch from the drow child to the normal drow, it causes a CTD.

Which adult drow mod are you using, I'll check it out.

This is the one I'm using

http://www.loverslab.com/topic/12954-drow-race-unofficial-dawnguard-edition/

The original ended up having texture problems with the hands, so I tried that one in the link and it worked fine for me. Don't know why it would interfere with your mod.