What is the experiance with onboard sound card ??

D_ManXX2

I think i have finally been able to identify the source of why freezes and crashes happened on my system and it seem to be related to my on-board sound card. But i have no way of solving this problem.

I have tried turning my onboard off and spells like fire or ice no longer freeze my pc. I am already using the latest drivers for my onboard for what was available for windows 7. And i don't have any other sound-card to replace it with so i am pretty stumped why this is happening. on xp atleast i had the ability to turn sound acceleration modes to minimum in directx menu but all option are not available in windows 7.

And playing skyrim with no sound is no option.. oh crap.. :(

Is there still away to solve this without having to resort to buying another hardware ??

Here is my directX log:

-------------
Sound Devices
-------------
            Description: Sound (Realtek High Definition Audio)
 Default Sound Playback: Yes
 Default Voice Playback: Yes
            Hardware ID: HDAUDIO\FUNC_01&VEN_10EC&DEV_0892&SUBSYS_1043841B&REV_1003
        Manufacturer ID: 1
             Product ID: 100
                   Type: WDM
            Driver Name: RTKVHD64.sys
         Driver Version: 6.00.0001.6526 (English)
      Driver Attributes: Final Retail
            WHQL Logo'd: Yes
          Date and Size: 12/13/2011 19:27:30, 4718952 bytes
            Other Files:
        Driver Provider: Realtek Semiconductor Corp.
         HW Accel Level: Basic
              Cap Flags: 0xF1F
    Min/Max Sample Rate: 100, 200000
Static/Strm HW Mix Bufs: 1, 0
 Static/Strm HW 3D Bufs: 0, 0
              HW Memory: 0
       Voice Management: No
 EAX 2.0 Listen/Src: No, No
   I3DL2 Listen/Src: No, No
Sensaura ZoomFX: No

Description: Realtek Digital Output(Optical) (Realtek High Definition Audio)
 Default Sound Playback: No
 Default Voice Playback: No
            Other Files:

Description: Realtek Digital Output (Realtek High Definition Audio)
 Default Sound Playback: No
 Default Voice Playback: No
            Other Files:

ok i went back Asus, and downloaded the newest for realtek but what is install procedure on getting new sound drivers installed ??

I tried the same way like when doing new video drivers like loading windows 7 in safe mode and uninstall realtek and use drivers fusion to remove left over sound drivers. but when i load windows 7 somehow windows 7 still manage to install realtek default driver so i just installed the new realtek but i am not sure if this was the right procedure ??

Your mainboard manufacturer doesn't deliver to most up-to-date driver. it's more likely, that MS got an more up-to-date driver and even those are at least 2 versions behind.
You need to go here: http://www.realtek.com.tw/ (warning: incredibly slow servers).

Head to "HD Audio Codec Driver" and then download the driver for your OS.

No need to uninstall the already existing driver, as the installer will take care of that and if needed, ask you to restart the system, so the old one can be removed.

if the driver is successfully installed, you get another speaker icon in the notification area (the one, left from the clock, with all the other icons).
if problems occour, set speaker to stereo and set the standard format for output to 16 Bits, 44.1 KHz and make sure, that no sound effects are selected.

But still: A good dedicated soundcard is recomended, as it takes some load from the CPU, as RealTek onboard cards do alot thru the CPU.

Mainboards with Creative sound chips onboard are another story, but should be almost as good as a dedicated one. But i don't really know, as i don't have such a mainboard.

Setting speaker to stereo is more a dirty solution and may not solve the problem. Skyrim supports 5.1, so if you have 5.1, using the stereo solution would destroys much of the gaming experience (still better then w/o sound).

Setting the sound card to stereo, may reduce the amount of simultaneously played sound files in some cases, which helps alot if probems with onboards sound cards occour.
As Skyrim don't has the iNi entry, for setting the max number of simultaneously played sounds, anymore (correct me if i'm wrong), setting your speakers to stereo is your best guess, as it may disable hardware 3d.

Archived