Skyrim Civil War Overhaul. Does it bad or good for your game?

MajorKururu

Skyrim Civil War Overhaul by ApolloDown

http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/mods/37216/?tab=1&navtag=%2Fajax%2Fmoddescription%2F%3Fid%3D37216%26preview%3D&pUp=1

As the description above, does this mod run smoothly on your game. I has check the forum and a lot of people commenting about bug and imbalance in the mod and there are also several people who get banned for commenting/criticising the mod

I've try reading the description on the mod page but I can't understand a shit what the mod author try to tell in the description and it kinda messy  

Think of it this way: The mod is like trying to fix a broken glass. With enough glue you can drink from it but for every second you have liquid in it the glue slowly wears away leaving holes.

Apollo tried to re-implement several parts of the civil war quest line that were scraped in favor of the boring, challenge-less version we have in the vanilla game. While the idea was good. trying to put fragmented data and already set in stone coding into working order is hard... almost impossible.

There are a lot of really simple ideas that just end up buggy when placed into the game. Like the throwing weapons mod. Really Simple idea but buggy as hell in Skyrim.

Apollo took a really hard idea and apparently got it to work; abet buggy as fuck for some people.

I personally have never been able to get past the battle for Whiterun with the mod in, things go to shit for me afterwards. might be a mod conflict or something but I don't think it's worth fretting over considering that I have 254 mods in and all.

PS: The mods description is in plain English if you're in your twentysomethings.

It's actually quite good if it works. For me the only issue was that now and again the battle for whiterun would be reset when i got there. Happened twice or so in 60~ hours, though, and I still don't know if it was actually supposed to happen or not.

Its i good mod but buggy ass hell. i forgot to save my thief char and had to replay good 10h only because i wanted to steal from a the general in Markath and the next thing i got was the quest to defend Whiterun ........... the plugin has no check if you started the whole Civil war quest series means talking to the wrong NPC throws you right in the middle of it whit no chance of restarting what-so-ever. in the end too buggy for my taste

I use Bandit Raids to simulate conflict. However, it is best to watch from a distance and let the defenders whittle down the npcs as too many in one place including animals in the area can bring down the game. With I Yield I Yield, some bandits will get beaten to a point where they are no longer hostile. You can make a good profit looting bodies. Smelt the cheaper metals to upgrade the more expensive items.

Think of it this way: The mod is like trying to fix a broken glass. With enough glue you can drink from it but for every second you have liquid in it the glue slowly wears away leaving holes.

I love that metaphor.

The modmaker uses the expression "now you can lose battles".

I'd rather use the line "now you can't win battles" to describe the mod.

I had to cheat to win the battle of whiterun, although part of what made the battle harder than necessary might have been me using SkyRe. It possible vanilla difficulty Skyrim was easier..

Anyway, that was as far that I went before restarting without the mod..

Personally I have had little to no glaring problems with his Civil War Overhaul and his Dragon Combat Overhaul mods. Maybe I'm just lucky, maybe others have too many conflicting mods or maybe the mods themselves are just really finicky when drawing straws on when and when not to work but they have both made my Skyrim saves noticeably better in their proposed uses. 

The few times there were issues a reload of a save fixed it more often than not.

That said, what was so hard to understand about the mod description? It's pretty straightforward if you actually read it as opposed to... well not reading it.

• 7 months later...
  • 2 months later...

I've enjoyed Epic Gameplay Overhaul as much as I've played with it, although that's only been early game to mid-level. Dragon Combat Overhaul makes great changes to Dragons and pairs nicely with Deadly Dragons, I haven't had any issues with it so far. Fire & Ice Overhaul is great for wildfires, but I find semi-persistent ice hanging in the air weird (but you can disable the ice effect in MCM). I did not care for Combat Drama Overhaul, the killcams in Dance of Death are my favorite but CDO irritated me so I stopped using it. Haven't got around to using EMO for music. Finally circling back to your original question, I haven't played enough of the Civil War Overhaul to endorse it yet, but "save early / save often" seems like it fix most (if not all) issues with it.  

If you installed the mod in a mid save game, yeah, no shit it's gonna mess up your game. The mod uses scripts that were originally going to be used in the game itself, but got scrapped away due reasons. It's extremely heavy scripting and it changes so much within the game, that it requires a NEW GAME for it to work properly, or it will fuck up your current save game. But mods like Dragon combat overhaul doesn't really requires a new game, but still recommended.

Beside that, mod conflicts can also be the cause for it not to work properly. Also, if you're using tons of mods that are quite heavy scripted, you are bound to mess up your game eventually. Keep your mod list balanced. I learned this the hard way.

Anyway, I have the mod and it works without any problems.

Guest Vendayn

I have a huge mod order (250 mods)...and never caused problems. I use it with a ton of other mods...heck I probably use conflicting mods too (I know I use conflicting combat mods, but I find they work great together)...and my game is completely stable after 100 hours of playing and a high level character.

• 1 month later...

I've try reading the description on the mod page but I can't understand a shit what the mod author try to tell in the description and it kinda messy  

The modder sounds like they are being too fat-headed, to be honest.

I couldn't resolve a mod conflict with my current modlist and I couldn't even get Battle for Whiterun started on the Stormcloaks side. Uninstalling CWO fixed it, so it's definitely one of the culprits. Since the other plausible culprit is the Unofficial Patch, I'd rather not uninstall that to resolve the conflict.

Is CWO really worthwhile or is it just messier fights? For the record, I do not think the vanilla Skyrim CWO is rubbish. I think it just has a different underlying design philosophy.

Unn.. which version do you talking about? CWO  v3(or above v3) do requires new game coz apollo put that casualties count thingy. it was probably made that way because he was just too tired for telling ppl to start a new game.

I had my experience with CWOv2, its actually pretty good that he revived bethesda original scripts.. the battle is also challenging(especially with mods that adds npc, such as Immersive patrols, ERSO's NPC's, and many other)

Just that i kinda dissapointed that apollo tends to make the user of his mod as 'testers', which is ppl starts to hate his mod for it. Me too became a 'tester' for him and constantly report bugs such as npc's not giving the battle orders, no npc showing, allies that supposed to be allies but turned hostile due to wrong faction thingy, buggy jarl switch scenes, cant enter city that i raided, no count for how many imperials/stormcloack left (enemy #% thingy)..etc etc.. and yeah, idk bout him if he do it alone like scripting and such, but the fact that he didnt put the "stable" version before version 3 is the thing making ppl hates his mod. (idk if he takes consideration about low pc that cant handle such fast script updates , not to mention that he didnt test some of the features in vanilla CW, such as the main quest for the cease fire that affects CW)

Actually EGO is pretty good, just that its script-heavy mod, so if you running a slow computer, it might got bugged, and things will messed up (especially with Fire and Ice Overhaul), and for me, im particularly hates the current DCO, coz the limit breaks he gives to dragons is not reasonable anymore. And i havent seen any up-to-date CDO (combat drama overhaul), so i cant say about those things he do with those VATS,

Although the IIO (Important Information Overhaul) might be useful for some ppl...literally >.>

Edit:

Sometime ago i was trying to kill his CWOv2 scripts , it worked, only before the civil war is even started yet. and no greybeard cease fire quest either. It was done with SGSC (Save Game Script Cleaner)

Meanwhile the save that has CWOv2 scripts installed and i have entered the civil war , i also manage to fix it but its kinda rough and i cant rlly guarantee whats gone and whats stay in that savegame. it was possible with SGSS (Save Game Script Scalpel) , the PDT Wrapper.  by editing the values manually (such as the quests, etc, well its messed up XD)

• 3 weeks later...

Okay. Just finish testing the Civil War Overhaul 3.0.1 and Dragon Combat Overhaul 10.4 and CTD free for almost 100 hours of gameplay (never experience any CTD) (new gameplay btw). Apollo seen to add/change the face, weight and race in both faction. Hell, the stormcloak even has giant with them.

[...]

That's a good sign. If you can't understand it, it probably means you're sane.

As for CWO, I tried a new game recently using CWO and I do get some odd behavior. I'm not sure if it's fighting with Immersive Patrols since both mods touch how Civil War aggression is handled (and differently).

Glad you got 100 hours in. I probably have some other mods that don't play nice with CWO and I've basically given up on continuing with that playthrough.

The mod is as most people say "Excellent" since Apollo tweaked a lost of things in it to make it look more dramatic and challenging than the plane-old vanilla setup of the Civil war quest line. though most of the time it causes some bugs e.g. Riekke doesn't give you orders to capture this and that, some NPC missing in certain quest stages and so on... The description is quite easy to understand if you're still sane or more smarter than the common graduate that is. But the mod is also script based so removing it or adding it mid-game will cause some serious crap in your playthrough.

I guess it's up to you to consider the mod to be added to your Skyrim or not. :shy:

• 7 months later...

I'm going to necro this instead of starting a new thread.

Does anyone know what happens if you lose the war? During the war, the enemy side always seems to recognize you as the enemy even if you're not wearing faction armor. I'd even get attacked by town guards on the enemy side. If you lose the war, does that mean you'll be attacked wherever you go?

The ending stays the same. If you lose the war, youll get the chance to defend either ulfric or tullius, and during that, they will not flagged as essential anymore and be killed. if they're killed, then thats it cwo's over. 

thats at least what happen to me in v2 back then

The ending stays the same. If you lose the war, youll get the chance to defend either ulfric or tullius, and during that, they will not flagged as essential anymore and be killed. if they're killed, then thats it cwo's over. 

thats at least what happen to me in v2 back then

Will the enemy faction and their aligned town guards still attack the player character?

Archived