Welcome to LoversLab
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Mod Organizer

MO Mod Organizer how to use MO Bethesda Elder Scrolls Fallout Mod manager

• Please log in to reply
3199 replies to this topic

Dorryn

Dorryn

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Why wouldn't I keep the bsa, if that's the feature in the mod that was added? If what I need is the bsa, I would 'unpack' it...why??

If you unpack the bsa the files in it will still be there, just not archived. That's what the bsa is : an archive same as a .rar or .zip.

Like I said it's usefull when you install your mods directly in skyrim's data folder, like you said it's a lot easier to remove one archive than loose files. However since MO keeps all mods separated in their own folder even loose files are easy to find and remove.

Also, if your bsa contains texture files, you'll have the possibility to safely optimize them with tools like DDSOpt or texture optimizer. (Although both have the ability to optimize files inside a bsa every tutorial I've read advises against it).

AdBot

AdBot
  • Advert

chaoswings

chaoswings

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 6 posts

Why wouldn't I keep the bsa, if that's the feature in the mod that was added? If what I need is the bsa, I would 'unpack' it...why??

Because :

First Mod organiser has a conflict resolving option, unpacking the BSA permits MO to actually see all the files (textures, meshes and scripts), which permit you to determines the load order of your mod (independantly of the ESP) for (for an example) having the priority higher on a set of textures or script than on another, and that, you cannot do with a BSA, for that you must unpack, of course you can manage priority with a BSA but it does not serve any purpose if you don't know what's actually inside.

Second, Unpacking BSA permits you to check the "quality" of included textures, it is not a secret that a lot of textures are not optimized at all, the difference in size can vary from Simple to quintuple, if a texture does not have transparency the DDS file should in the vast majority of the case not be compressed in DXT 3 or 5, and instead in DXT1, because in the end if you have to load 10 times a texture because 10 NPC or anything else uses that texture it is preferable for your V Ram use that this texture is optimized (should you you reach the V ram threshold your game can CTD because of it), and if don't unpack you can't know if the texture is optimized or not, and if it is not, you can optimize it yourself.

OK sure, it is slightly better for loading the game that you have BSA, but unkpaking all my BSA to be able to resolve conflicts and optimize textures has proven to render my game (209 Esm/Esp, and even more if you count textures mods) more stable than using BSA and relying on a blind faith in what modders do.

remois

remois

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 305 posts

I don't usually unpack a bsa unless the mod is giving me problems... I'm an adept of the if it works don't mess with it...

AwfulArchdemon

AwfulArchdemon

Ordained Mod Organizer Evangelist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,253 posts

If you unpack the bsa the files in it will still be there, just not archived. That's what the bsa is : an archive same as a .rar or .zip.

Like I said it's usefull when you install your mods directly in skyrim's data folder, like you said it's a lot easier to remove one archive than loose files. However since MO keeps all mods separated in their own folder even loose files are easy to find and remove.

Also, if your bsa contains texture files, you'll have the possibility to safely optimize them with tools like DDSOpt or texture optimizer. (Although both have the ability to optimize files inside a bsa every tutorial I've read advises against it).

True. This suggestion of mine suggests that those things will not be happening. My suggestion is mostly for people who will not be messing with their bsa's.

Because :

First Mod organiser has a conflict resolving option, unpacking the BSA permits MO to actually see all the files (textures, meshes and scripts), which permit you to determines the load order of your mod (independantly of the ESP) for (for an example) having the priority higher on a set of textures or script than on another, and that, you cannot do with a BSA, for that you must unpack, of course you can manage priority with a BSA but it does not serve any purpose if you don't know what's actually inside.

Second, Unpacking BSA permits you to check the "quality" of included textures, it is not a secret that a lot of textures are not optimized at all, the difference in size can vary from Simple to quintuple, if a texture does not have transparency the DDS file should in the vast majority of the case not be compressed in DXT 3 or 5, and instead in DXT1, because in the end if you have to load 10 times a texture because 10 NPC or anything else uses that texture it is preferable for your V Ram use that this texture is optimized (should you you reach the V ram threshold your game can CTD because of it), and if don't unpack you can't know if the texture is optimized or not, and if it is not, you can optimize it yourself.

OK sure, it is slightly better for loading the game that you have BSA, but unkpaking all my BSA to be able to resolve conflicts and optimize textures has proven to render my game (209 Esm/Esp, and even more if you count textures mods) more stable than using BSA and relying on a blind faith in what modders do.

Not bad for a 1st post. ;) However, I am not making this complicated. I am using a really simple formula here:

My mod's not working right, so a change must be made. I'll try saying "no" to unpacking bsa's. Oh good! My mod's working now.

If that had not worked so well, so easily, I wouldn't have done it. There really is no downside to my suggestion, if you aren't interested in checking your mods 'qualities', or messing with it's files at all (not that I've run into any problems at all using my simple method).

If people are running into any problems at all not unpacking their bsa's, just let me know, and I may edit my thread. Until there are any actual issues, this way works well for me.

I don't usually unpack a bsa unless the mod is giving me problems... I'm an adept of the if it works don't mess with it...

Exactly! Couldn't have said it better myself. I posted what I said because I was getting a few issues, and this solved it. Rather than have people post problems about why there mod isn't working right on their mod's authors' threads, I've considered this to be a 'shortcut to success'.

Nobody is wrong here! I'm not disputing any of it. My way removes some possible problems, and creates no problems of it's own, unless you need to change orders, based on files in the bsa. For those of you who want to optimize texture qualities, and change bsa load orders, and stuff like that, I'm sure you already know that unpacking is how that's done. This is a more basic guide than all that, and I doubt people who don't do that stuff are going to start unpacking their bsa's just because others, who DO do that stuff, are unpacking theirs to alter stuff.

I know this, it solved my problems (4 of them, actually), so I posted it that way, as "say NO to unpacking bsa's". If you plan on getting into more advanced things with your mods, then you already know when to, and when not to unpack your .bsa's. I'll just stick with saying no.

I sometimes forget how advanced most of our members are here on LoversLab, so if you want me to get into the far more advanced aspects of mod installation, then you will have to let ME get more advanced 1st. I'm no genius! I've been using a computer for 11 months now, and never even e-mailed someone before that. I knew nothing whatsoever about a computer.

All I know is, nobody made a thread about MO on LL yet. And, while I don't know EVERYTHING about mod installation, and MO, I DO know an awful lot about both. Therefore, I started a thread about MO.

I fully expect people to post their thoughts, and any helpful suggestions they may have here, on:

Mod Organizer

Started By AwfulArchdemon, Aug 19 2013 11:50 PM

Thank you all for your posts. I will be adding more info soon. My newest info will be based on the currently Beta version. So, any info posted after August 27th will be based on the Beta (0_99_2)

Dorryn

Dorryn

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

I'm curious : What mods were not working well when you unpacked their bsa ?

AwfulArchdemon

AwfulArchdemon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,253 posts

I'm curious : What mods were not working well when you unpacked their bsa ?

Hmm, I forget exactly which one's were the troublemakers, since I've changed a couple mods. I'll just post my current bsa list: Attached File  MO_bsa_list.jpg   233.39KB   2 downloads

Dorryn

Dorryn

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

I don't see FNIS anywhere. Did you put it in your data folder?

AwfulArchdemon

AwfulArchdemon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,253 posts

Attached File  FNIS.jpg   253.27KB   17 downloadsAttached File  FNIS2.jpg   259.84KB   10 downloads

WizzyD

WizzyD

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 636 posts

can you list all those lines here in plain text?

so ppl can just copy and paste them into the editor

especially the argument line

trying to get fnis 4.0 beta added

edit:

so well then

spent 2 hours searching on how to add fnis to MO

this seems much easier than manual

Spoiler

AwfulArchdemon

AwfulArchdemon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,253 posts

Attached File  Specific FNIS installation insructions.txt   225bytes   66 downloadsAttached File  FNIS help.jpg   250.94KB   2 downloads

I added mine in manually, then I made it run using MO.

WizzyD

WizzyD

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 636 posts

welp its awesome alright decided to re-install skyrim and and switch fully to MO.

only one prob: how do i batch install 20gb of archived mods?

lol 20gb >.> this after the mass delete of june where i had 50gb of mods

AwfulArchdemon

AwfulArchdemon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,253 posts

welp its awesome alright decided to re-install skyrim and and switch fully to MO.

Are you trying to get your mods from NMM to MO? That what you mean??

WizzyD

WizzyD

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 636 posts

Are you trying to get your mods from NMM to MO? That what you mean??

in way yes. 

like going into the nmm folder and taking all the mods that i have dl'd there and move em out of that folder and use MO exclusively 

well no feature as of such time after talking to tanin but he says might be a plug in the future.

anyhow spent 7 hours re-downloading all the mods into MO (fun fun fun ;p) and got the game working again.

AwfulArchdemon

AwfulArchdemon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,253 posts

@mm777

See, when I stopped using NMM, I plain-old stopped. Done. No transfers or anything, because I wanted everything to fresh, and updated when I got MO up-and-running. MO rules, btw. There's an easier way to get your mods out of NMM, and into MO, but if you spent 7 hours reinstalling like I did, then I'd say you're on the right path.

If you have diligence, you will find MO your best friend. If you're especially lazy, you may not gain all of MO's benefits.

Get your "major programs", like SKSE, FNIS, WryeBash, Creation Kit, BOSS, and TES5Edit running through MO, or more specifically, having MO run those programs, and life will be sweet! You can always run them outside of MO when you need to do something technical.

johnnyboy88

johnnyboy88

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 85 posts

Anything that's profile specific (i.e. Bashed Patch, SkyProc Patcher files, Community Uncapper ini files) has to be manually replaced. Keep separate folders with all the relevant files in MO Overwrites folder and swap the files when you change profiles.

Also, I suggest installing FNIS normally via Mod Organizer, then copying the whole FNIS folder from the MO mod install directory to MO Overwrites folder and adding the executable from overwrites folder. It will work fine then. This is actually also true for any SkyProc Patchers.

The only thing I've ever installed into the skyrim directory itself is SKSE and ENB

One more thing to keep in mind about the overwrites folder is that when you use TES5Edit via MO it puts the cleaned files in the overwrites folder. You have to move them back to the mod directory manually.

Also here are two tutorials that may help some of you

MOD Organizer a Beginners Guide

MOD Organizer an Advanced Guide

bob11

bob11

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 705 posts

Anyone tried running Bodyslider through the new MO 1.0? It doesn't seem to work correctly for me.  Normally it should create the body meshes in the overwrite folder.  It doesn't anymore.

EDIT: I wish it wasn't working.  Thing is, it's autosyncing the CBBE folder and the armor folders with any file that's already there... That's seriously retarded.

AwfulArchdemon

AwfulArchdemon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,253 posts

Anyone tried running Bodyslider through the new MO 1.0? It doesn't seem to work correctly for me.  Normally it should create the body meshes in the overwrite folder.  It doesn't anymore.

EDIT: I wish it wasn't working.  Thing is, it's autosyncing the CBBE folder and the armor folders with any file that's already there... That's seriously retarded.

Tannin42 has been notified. Thank you for your report, @bob11

bob11

bob11

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 705 posts

Already posted in the MO comments there :P I'm pretty sure it had syncing so I wasn't sure if I messed up anything and synced something but yeah, even if syncing is persistent, there should be a way to disable it.

AwfulArchdemon

AwfulArchdemon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,253 posts

Already posted in the MO comments there :P I'm pretty sure it had syncing so I wasn't sure if I messed up anything and synced something but yeah, even if syncing is persistent, there should be a way to disable it.

Please continue to give feedback. Tannin42 (and myself of course) would appreciate it. Good or bad. teehee.gif The new version will be better for sure, so do all you can to pinpoint bugs, so that Tannin42 may squash them. wink.gif

bob11

bob11

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 705 posts

Please continue to give feedback. Tannin42 (and myself of course) would appreciate it. Good or bad. teehee.gif The new version will be better for sure, so do all you can to pinpoint bugs, so that Tannin42 may squash them. wink.gif

I wasn't aware of it really because it did change the meshes.  I was only aware when the armor meshes weren't being updated to pregnancy compatible while they (probably) support it, while the naked body did change with the HentaiPregnancy mod.  So I thought something was weird, deleted the overwrite files, recreated, and, to my surprise, there were less folders.  Going around here and there I found out that MO was overwriting the initial mod files with the new files.  Kinda beats the purpose of having MO if it does automatic overwrites xP

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: MO, Mod Organizer, how to use MO, Bethesda, Elder Scrolls, Fallout, Mod manager