HDT Physics Extension Modding

Monsto Brukes

Update: see this post. even if you're not much of a modeller, it should make some sense.

If you are proficient with Blender + Bullet, or Maya + Bullet, or anything and Bullet mainly, Please contact   HydrogensaysHDT

The link goes to the profile page of HDT Physics Mod author on a chinese forum. If you use chrome, it will attempt (with about 80% success) to auto translate. HDT knows chinese as a first language, but knows english better than a lot of Americans (I live in the midwest... trust me, I know).

It would also help if you posted in this thread that you were interested to help. Us LL playa's would likely be willing to help you as much as we could on this end.

[edit]

This Post has instructions on how to get started, if you're interested.

I am proficient with Maya and physics systems are not alien to me so I can learn Bullet/Dynamica if it comes to it. I'm not as proficient with scripting though, but if it's something I can recognize, I can edit it, I'm just lost when it comes to writing my own.

A major issue that doesn't deal with skill levels I can see however will be conversion as things do get lost in translation, especially translating from Maya into a ".nif"--which has little to no chance of working properly (for me anyway).

I will try to help if time allows, so just let me know what I should do and I'll figure it out--even better if it's a collaborative process.

The plugin do these this while armor loaded into game:

1、scan armor and attach bones not exist in character's skeleton to the skeleton (so no longer CTD cause by bone lacking).

2、scan extradata list to find if there're any physics discription file associate with the mesh

3、for each rigidbody, find out the bone it binded with (if they have same names) .

4、calculate relative transform between rigidbody and the bone in mesh ( not skeleton!! important!! and no scale support !)

5、scale rigidbody and constraints by the scaling in skeleton.

6、add it to physics world

the plugin works by updating kinematic(or static) bones' transforms in physics world, step it, then write back dynamic bones' transfrom to skeleton.

all you need to do is to create rigid bodies and constraints for the bones you need to control by physics system (or as a reference, or collide), then export it.

the only problem is that collision filter(which use to detect whether 2 rigidbodies can penetrate each other) cannot export to .bullet file.

I need to find out a way to solve it.

Ghost object is not support yet, try to use rigidbody with empty shape.

to attach physics info to a nif, just add NiStringExtraData(or NiStringsExtraData) to the root node in mesh, name it as "HDT Bullet Path", and set the value as the path of the .bullet file relate to the root path of skyrim (or absolute path).

1、scan armor and attach bones not exist in character's skeleton to the skeleton (so no longer CTD cause by bone lacking).

2、scan extradata list to find if there're any physics discription file associate with the mesh

3、for each rigidbody, find out the bone it binded with (if they have same names) .

4、calculate relative transform between rigidbody and the bone in mesh ( not skeleton!! important!! and no scale support !)

the plugin works by updating kinematic(or static) bones' transforms in physics world, step it, then write back dynamic bones' transfrom to skeleton.

all you need to do is to create rigid bodies and constraints for the bones you need to control by physics system (or as a reference, or collide), then export it.

the only problem is that collision filter(which use to detect whether 2 rigidbodies can penetrate each other) cannot export to .bullet file.

to attach physics info to a nif, just add NiStringExtraData(or NiStringsExtraData) to the root node in mesh, name it as "HDT Bullet Path", and set the value as the path of the .bullet file relate to the root path of skyrim (or absolute path).

Thanks. that will be very helpful. Nice job (=

Sorry it's taking me a while to get around to it, though I'm sure you have other people also looking into this as well. Is it possible for you to post an up-to-date skeleton for me to import and test out on?

From what I'm getting, it's no longer 'skeleton-bones' based, but actually just interacting with the mesh itself.

Which, as far as I can tell, means that all the work done on bones and meshes previous (and from some gone members) is all pretty moot. Start over by programming that bullet addon to the mesh itself.

I think I might be stuck with HDT 7-22 for a very long time, because I have a crapload of armors I have already.

someone try this:

http://bbs.3dmgame.com/thread-3956142-1-1.html?

for meshes: import .pmx to PE, then export to .c4d, then import to C4D and export to .fbx, then import to 3ds max.

for animations: Import .vmd to C4D and export to .fbx, then import to 3ds max.

Accroding to the poster said, physics infos are imported to 3dsmax successfully and it works, but even she don't know how it works.

And I don't know how she use the hkx(she said she put it in Meshes\Animations).

I know the Havok way of doing this is unstable but is the process to add these "dynamic" bones the same for the Havok version? (HDT Havok Path for NIStringExtraData) The name of the rigid body must be the same as the bone it is going to affect + constraint to parent rigid body? The xmls included in the example dress can't be viewed in the havok preview tool. I have a pretty good understanding of 3ds max + havok if you ever go back to poking around the hkx/xml method.  I almost never use blender but I am going to look at the b3d + bullet and see if i can create anything useful. Is there a limit on how many rigid bodies you can add?

I was able to get the havok version working by rigging some bones and adding a second tail to a unp body. It seems like the tail moves (like wind is affecting it) but the bones on the tail are almost stationary; my character moves around, but the tail stays in the same place until I wander far away from the area. I stripped the hkRootLevelContainer, and hkPhysicsData (hk object) from my XML and set my toplevelobject to the number for hkpPhysicsSystem (hkobject). Is this the inertia problem you were talking about? Only the bones that have a hkrigidbody with the same name work (sort of). Is there anything I'm supposed to keep or change from the old skeleton? Sorry for all the questions, but this is really cool. I looked at bullet briefly and saw that the capsules made in blender/maya do not penetrate each other or are equally spread apart to keep the ends from intersecting. 

I was able to get the havok version working by rigging some bones and adding a second tail to a unp body. It seems like the tail moves (like wind is affecting it) but the bones on the tail are almost stationary; my character moves around, but the tail stays in the same place until I wander far away from the area. I stripped the hkRootLevelContainer, and hkPhysicsData (hk object) from my XML and set my toplevelobject to the number for hkpPhysicsSystem (hkobject). Is this the inertia problem you were talking about? Only the bones that have a hkrigidbody with the same name work (sort of). Is there anything I'm supposed to keep or change from the old skeleton? Sorry for all the questions, but this is really cool. I looked at bullet briefly and saw that the capsules made in blender/maya do not penetrate each other or are equally spread apart to keep the ends from intersecting. 

"The name of the rigid body must be the same as the bone."

Yes it must.

"Is there a limit on how many rigid bodies you can add."

No limit.

"I stripped the hkRootLevelContainer, and hkPhysicsData (hk object) from my XML and set my toplevelobject to the number for hkpPhysicsSystem (hkobject). Is this the inertia problem you were talking about?"

When i developed the plugin, no one can help me to make a havok file by Havok Content Tools("HCT? What's that?"), and I know nothing about 3dsmax, so I know nothing about the exported file. Everything was created by havok sdk with C++. :(

The inertia problem is that a rigidbody shake crazly, raply, unresonably. The values of inertia effect it but in fact it's a constraint problem(Havok itself).

It never happened in Bullet

"Is there anything I'm supposed to keep or change from the old skeleton?"

No. I just add the bones I need in mesh's nif.

the bones will add to skeleton runtime accroding to the structure in nif.

if a bone has no parent and not exist in skeleton, it will attach to NPC Root [root].

the bone will be rename to keep unique (means two nif can have bones with same name).

"the tail stays in the same place"

for me, I add a keframed rigidbody with no collide as a reference, and constraint dynamic bones to it, then it works.

Ghost object is not support yet. :(

I found what I did wrong. Thanks for the explanation. I didn't preserve the hierarchy for the skeleton in .nif so it went haywire. Was keyframed (rigid body) the only quality type you set to the non moving bones? I looked at the rigid body entries and they have 2 as the quality type for all the stationary bones in the NPRChinaDress; if you go through the menu for quality types and look at the file each time you save (in 3ds max) the only one I can get to be the same is 1: Keyframed (rigid body). Where does the 2 come from? Is the quality type number different depending on if you change tensors or something else? I know the first mistake I made when I did get it to work was that I did not set keyframed to the topmost parent rigid body, so it would fall off of the body and through the floor.

I know the begin bones for the dress are fixed, since they aren't constrained to anything (and are the first body in the chain):

<hkobject name="#0178" class="hkpRigidBody" signature="0xd0313594">
			<!-- memSizeAndFlags SERIALIZE_IGNORED -->
			<!-- referenceCount SERIALIZE_IGNORED -->
			<!-- world SERIALIZE_IGNORED -->
			<hkparam name="userData">0</hkparam>
			<hkparam name="collidable">
				<hkobject>
					<hkparam name="shape">#0179</hkparam>
					<hkparam name="shapeKey">4294967295</hkparam>
					<!-- motion SERIALIZE_IGNORED -->
					<!-- parent SERIALIZE_IGNORED -->
					<!-- ownerOffset SERIALIZE_IGNORED -->
					<hkparam name="forceCollideOntoPpu">8</hkparam>
					<!-- shapeSizeOnSpu SERIALIZE_IGNORED -->
					<hkparam name="broadPhaseHandle">
						<hkobject>
							<!-- id SERIALIZE_IGNORED -->
							<hkparam name="type">1</hkparam>
							<hkparam name="objectQualityType">1</hkparam>
							<hkparam name="collisionFilterInfo">196610</hkparam>
						</hkobject>
					</hkparam>
					<!-- boundingVolumeData SERIALIZE_IGNORED -->
					<hkparam name="allowedPenetrationDepth">0.100000</hkparam>
					<!-- collisionEntries SERIALIZE_IGNORED -->
				</hkobject>
			</hkparam>
			<hkparam name="multiThreadCheck">
				<hkobject>
					<!-- threadId SERIALIZE_IGNORED -->
					<!-- stackTraceId SERIALIZE_IGNORED -->
					<!-- markCount SERIALIZE_IGNORED -->
					<!-- markBitStack SERIALIZE_IGNORED -->
				</hkobject>
			</hkparam>
			<hkparam name="name">NPRChinaDress B3 Begin</hkparam>
			<hkparam name="properties" numelements="0"></hkparam>
			<hkparam name="material">

The next one down has a quality type of 2, but I haven't been able to make a file using HCT that gets me a 2 for a rigid body. The only thing I can think of is that it isn't a sphere body, but I doubt that matters. The quality type it gives by default is 4 (when the quality box is unchecked and no type is chosen). I'll have a look at the SDK documentation. I'm no programmer, but this isn't too hard to understand. I'm amazed that you generated these files without using HCT. Anyway HCT is buggy and it adds a bunch of extra stuff to the file that isn't needed.

I hadn't messed with the collision info under ragdoll filter. It does say it keeps constrained bodies from colliding with eachother. I'll try it out and see if it makes any difference.

"The name of the rigid body must be the same as the bone."

Yes it must.

"Is there a limit on how many rigid bodies you can add."

No limit.

"I stripped the hkRootLevelContainer, and hkPhysicsData (hk object) from my XML and set my toplevelobject to the number for hkpPhysicsSystem (hkobject). Is this the inertia problem you were talking about?"

When i developed the plugin, no one can help me to make a havok file by Havok Content Tools("HCT? What's that?"), and I know nothing about 3dsmax, so I know nothing about the exported file. Everything was created by havok sdk with C++. :(

The inertia problem is that a rigidbody shake crazly, raply, unresonably. The values of inertia effect it but in fact it's a constraint problem(Havok itself).

It never happened in Bullet

"Is there anything I'm supposed to keep or change from the old skeleton?"

No. I just add the bones I need in mesh's nif.

the bones will add to skeleton runtime accroding to the structure in nif.

if a bone has no parent and not exist in skeleton, it will attach to NPC Root [root].

the bone will be rename to keep unique (means two nif can have bones with same name).

"the tail stays in the same place"

for me, I add a keframed rigidbody with no collide as a reference, and constraint dynamic bones to it, then it works.

Ghost object is not support yet. :(

Thanks for your support in this thread. When this is all done, I will be happy to help with editing and formatting instructions for modders.

I found what I did wrong. Thanks for the explanation. I didn't preserve the hierarchy for the skeleton in .nif so it went haywire. Was keyframed (rigid body) the only quality type you set to the non moving bones? I looked at the rigid body entries and they have 2 as the quality type for all the stationary bones in the NPRChinaDress; if you go through the menu for quality types and look at the file each time you save (in 3ds max) the only one I can get to be the same is 1: Keyframed (rigid body). Where does the 2 come from? Is the quality type number different depending on if you change tensors or something else? I know the first mistake I made when I did get it to work was that I did not set keyframed to the topmost parent rigid body, so it would fall off of the body and through the floor.

I know the begin bones for the dress are fixed, since they aren't constrained to anything (and are the first body in the chain):

<hkobject name="#0178" class="hkpRigidBody" signature="0xd0313594">
			<!-- memSizeAndFlags SERIALIZE_IGNORED -->
			<!-- referenceCount SERIALIZE_IGNORED -->
			<!-- world SERIALIZE_IGNORED -->
			<hkparam name="userData">0</hkparam>
			<hkparam name="collidable">
				<hkobject>
					<hkparam name="shape">#0179</hkparam>
					<hkparam name="shapeKey">4294967295</hkparam>
					<!-- motion SERIALIZE_IGNORED -->
					<!-- parent SERIALIZE_IGNORED -->
					<hkparam name="forceCollideOntoPpu">8</hkparam>
					<!-- shapeSizeOnSpu SERIALIZE_IGNORED -->
					<hkparam name="broadPhaseHandle">
						<hkobject>
							<!-- id SERIALIZE_IGNORED -->
							<hkparam name="type">1</hkparam>
							<hkparam name="objectQualityType">1</hkparam>
							<hkparam name="collisionFilterInfo">196610</hkparam>
						</hkobject>
					</hkparam>
					<!-- boundingVolumeData SERIALIZE_IGNORED -->
					<hkparam name="allowedPenetrationDepth">0.100000</hkparam>
					<!-- collisionEntries SERIALIZE_IGNORED -->
				</hkobject>
			</hkparam>
			<hkparam name="multiThreadCheck">
				<hkobject>
					<!-- threadId SERIALIZE_IGNORED -->
					<!-- stackTraceId SERIALIZE_IGNORED -->
					<!-- markCount SERIALIZE_IGNORED -->
					<!-- markBitStack SERIALIZE_IGNORED -->
				</hkobject>
			</hkparam>
			<hkparam name="name">NPRChinaDress B3 Begin</hkparam>
			<hkparam name="properties" numelements="0"></hkparam>
			<hkparam name="material">

The next one down has a quality type of 2, but I haven't been able to make a file using HCT that gets me a 2 for a rigid body. The only thing I can think of is that it isn't a sphere body, but I doubt that matters. The quality type it gives by default is 4 (when the quality box is unchecked and no type is chosen). I'll have a look at the SDK documentation. I'm no programmer, but this isn't too hard to understand. I'm amazed that you generated these files without using HCT. Anyway HCT is buggy and it adds a bunch of extra stuff to the file that isn't needed.

I hadn't messed with the collision info under ragdoll filter. It does say it keeps constrained bodies from colliding with eachother. I'll try it out and see if it makes any difference.

the quality type of 2 is HK_COLLIDABLE_QUALITY_DEBRIS, the default value for dynamic objects.

about the collision info, if you use 7-27 ver. and win7, just open the calcurator and:

1.switch to programmer mode.(ALT+3)

2.dec mode

3.type in the type(0-23) the rigidbody belongs to

4.[Lsh] 24

5.bin mode

6.[Or] or [+]

7.type in the 24 bit collision mask.

from right to left, set the nth bit to 1 if the rigidbody do not collide with the type n, otherwise 0.

8.equal & dec mode

Really thorough understanding there. I will toy around with this a bit more and put a short video up 3ds max + hct. I will look at the blender way later because this really is unstable. I made a cape but it keeps getting caught on the right shoulder. I don't think havok is to blame specifically for this though, one of the problems with it is that the importer/exporter for .nif files has bone scaling issues (no non uniform scaling support?) so even if you use capsule shapes, unless you go replace every bone with nub, it will always default to sphere when you export havok xml. Sorry I forgot to ask this before, but what mass did you use for the spheres in the NPRChinaDress? Seems to have much smoother results than anything I can get so far.

As for the jittering, bouncing, or whatever it does I think bullet adds space between rigid bodies to prevent self collisions. Havok likes to make spheres and capsules intersect if you just add a capsule/sphere to a bone, so its like as soon as it is processed it collides/penetrates unless collision info is included.

Really thorough understanding there. I will toy around with this a bit more and put a short video up 3ds max + hct. I will look at the blender way later because this really is unstable. I made a cape but it keeps getting caught on the right shoulder. I don't think havok is to blame specifically for this though, one of the problems with it is that the importer/exporter for .nif files has bone scaling issues (no non uniform scaling support?) so even if you use capsule shapes, unless you go replace every bone with nub, it will always default to sphere when you export havok xml. Sorry I forgot to ask this before, but what mass did you use for the spheres in the NPRChinaDress? Seems to have much smoother results than anything I can get so far.

As for the jittering, bouncing, or whatever it does I think bullet adds space between rigid bodies to prevent self collisions. Havok likes to make spheres and capsules intersect if you just add a capsule/sphere to a bone, so its like as soon as it is processed it collides/penetrates unless collision info is included.

I add 3 constraints for each bone on dress.

a ballsocket constraint chain and a ragdoll limit(ragdoll without translation limit) for vertical

and a ballsocket constraint chain for horizon.

the cone limit in ragdoll is unstable and useless, so i rotated the coordinate system.

(another unstable constraint is generic constraint, which is common used in Miku Miku Dance).

"so even if you use capsule shapes, unless you go replace every bone with nub, it will always default to sphere when you export havok xml"

I don't know what it means. If you means quality type, sphere is the default value in Havok SDK. It only used in broadphase test and only rigidbody pass the broadphase test will do collision test( narrowphase pass ). It effect the effeciency but not result.

Ok I went through my files and the dress and I think understand the constraint methods pretty well. Old method (deprecated) needs to be used for constraints (create constraints filter), and pre-stabalize inertias needs to be unchecked. After I turned off pre-stabalize my rigid bodies didn't bounce as wildly as before. The only real thing that requires careful setup are the constraints (parent and child) for hinges or whatever related constraint you want to use.  Angles are shown in radians, so  max angle of 1.57 is ~90 degrees, but I can't seem to figure out which part of the rigid body holds the objects mass. The most obvious lines are "inertiaAndMassInv". Does the mass you specify make any difference on how it reacts for Havok? I don't think I've noticed any difference between masses of 5, 500, and 5000.

The ragdoll limit doesn't seem accessible in 3dsmax unless you create a powered chain. I doubt that your plugin supports that. I was trying to see if there was an "is limited" parameter for the ragdoll constraint, but I get nothing. I tried using maxscript to see if there were any hidden params, but nothing. This is what I found:

.childSpaceTranslation (Child_Space_Translation) : point3
  .childSpaceRotation (Child_Space_Rotation) : matrix3
  .parentSpaceTranslation (Parent_Space_Translation) : point3
  .parentSpaceRotation (Parent_Space_Rotation) : matrix3
  .constrainTo (Constrain_To) : integer
  .parent : node
  .childSpaceTranslationLocked (Accuracy_for_combining_sections) : boolean
  .childSpaceRotationLocked (Child_Space_Rotation_Locked) : boolean
  .parentSpaceTranslationLocked (Parent_Space_Translation_Locked) : boolean
  .parentSpaceRotationLocked (Parent_Space_Rotation_Locked) : boolean
  .isBreakable (Is_Breakable) : boolean
  .breakThreshold (Threshold) : float
  .coneAngle (Cone_Angle) : angle
  .planeAngleMin (Plane_Angle_Min) : angle
  .planeAngleMax (Plane_Angle_Max) : angle
  .twistMin (Twist_Angle_Min) : angle
  .twistMax (Twist_Angle_Max) : angle
  .maxFrictionTorque (Maximum_Friction_Torque) : float
  .motorType (Motor_Type) : integer
  .displayTwistLimits (Display_Twist_Limits) : boolean
  .displayPlaneLimits (Display_Plane_Limits) : boolean
  .childSpaceInWorld : matrix3
  .parentSpaceInWorld : matrix3

Even when I uncheck the child/parent space translation boxes I can't get anything that resembles hkpRagdollLimitsData linked to a hkpConstraintInstance. You can manually force the file to load from hkpPhysicsSystem -> hkpConstraintInstance -> hkpRagdollLimitsData if you change the #xxxx number that is a powered chain to just the hkpconstraintinstance that you need read. This should make it work, reading the corrent objects by force, causing it only to include rotation, conelimit, planelimit, and twist. There doesn't seem to be any way to make the ragdoll constraint remove all the other junk.

It's around here somewhere. It added breast physics to dead characters only didn't it? This wouldn't work because the plugin is written for SKSE only. The only way it would work for something else is if they port it over of the OBSE, or the FSE (does that thing even exist? I don't like playing modded fallout). I remember someone mentioning that Skyrim uses an upgraded FO engine, and that Creation Engine is just a name to make it look like something newer.

Ok I think I figured out what causes the rigid bodies go haywire. The child constraints must be rotated in the right direction and within the cones/hinges or it will shake uncontrollably. The rigid bodies must also have the height reduced by atleast half the size otherwise the rigid bodies will intersect; this is the case if you use capsules, so you'll want to have space between each body. I think I found a good way of setting it up in 3ds max, but it requires that you create two rigs of the same chain, one to create the capsules and the other for the actual bones to be exported to nif if you are adding new bones. I should have something neat tomorrow.

I had intended on doing something with capes/clothes, but I found that working on this made it way easier to find the problems and stop ctds from happening. Inertia must use deprecated method and the slider for auto settings on constraints should be unchecked. Here is what I have been experimenting on, originally I wanted something not adult oriented. Thanks alot HDT this is a really great plugin to have for SKSE.

I've gone over to maya + bullet, but so far I've been getting nothing but ctd. I think I must have some rigid body setting wrong or I'm not exporting the right data for HDT Bullet. On another note this all seems to work really well for dead actors too. I haven't seen anything passing through the ground or nearby objects (mostly because of the constraints), but the limbs come to rest on the body pretty nicely. The next thing I'm going to try after this is finished and uploaded is hair.

perig.jpg

Awesome job canderes. I wish there was something to report on my end, but I haven't had the motivation or time to study in-depth into bullet to make use of it yet as I've been focused on using Maya for a completely different project. I'm glad to see there's progress on developing and testing, bullet or otherwise. I'll be keeping an eye on progress and if I do run into any breakthroughs on my end, I'll be sure to report.

Keep up the great work!

Very very nice. looking objectively at your work (= it appears to be a simple enough thing that potential problems are limited, and the scope of what you have to dig thru is pretty small . . . which makes troubleshooting really easy.

Can't wait till you're done. as I said, I will do what I can to help you write docs for it.

Archived