Black Textures with an easy, but annoying fix.

So, I have this issue where a lot of my armor/clothing mods have black textures. Just solid black, it's like a void where my clothing/pieces of clothing should be. Now, it's easily fixed, all I have to do is go to the console and use showracemenu and they suddenly appear properly. The problem is, I really don't like having to do this every single time I change outfits. It's problematic since I'm such a fashion whore.

Does anyone know of a way around this? Is there anything that makes them load correctly rather than having to load the race menu?

I note that this is occurring with clothing, however I do know that when this problem occurs with SKIN and FACE textures, it does seem to embed itself in saves somehow. Junking all the autosave files from my save games folder generally solved it. However, if this has been going on for some time and you've kept saving over the top of it, it may well be baked into all the saves you have made. :unsure:

Out of curiousity - if you go to your saves folder and remove (don't junk them - just remove them), say, the last twenty or so saves (including ALL autosave elements), does it still occur? :huh:

Actually, there's hardly any saves at all. I recently redownloaded Skyrim, I hadn't played it in several months. There's maybe a total of 5 saves on there, including the auto saves. It started happening almost right away. It doesn't happen with all clothes/armors, but some.

Showracemenu fixes a majority of the roblems, but sometimes it doesn't, in which case I just completely trash the mod.

When its black, if you zoom your camera closer does the texture start to appear when you're on top of them? When I had a similar problem, it was because I was pushing too many textures with not enough RAM and/or it wasn't clearing the cache fast enough. 

Try using cleanmem or razer game booster? cleanmem will keep your cache clear enough that it should alleviate the problem for now, razer game booster also clears RAM cache and can be setup to turn off non essential programs and services freeing up more RAM for your game.

Ofcourse this could not be your problem, couldn't hurt tho. This was the first thing that popped into my head.

They don't apear when I zoom in, only when I do showracemenu, and they will stay visible, even if I completely close out the game and reload, as long as I don't change outfits. I will try your suggestions, thanks. I'll update this post with information when I do.

EDIT: Well, it helped with overal performance, but it didn't really do anything about having to go to the race menu to get the textures to show up properly.

When my meshes showed up as solid black it was because they were missing normal vectors. No idea if this is the problem for you, seems weird since using racemenu solved it, but if you want to give it a try this is what I did:

In nifskope, right-click the mesh, then Mesh-> Face Normals. The "Has Normals" option in NiTriShapeData should be set to true.

You can also try setting up Tangents and Bitangents by setting the BS Num UV Sets to 4097, then going to Spells -> Batch -> Update All Tangent Spaces.

Can't help you beyond that, but good luck!

Archived