"What are you playing" thread

On 1/12/2019 at 12:12 PM, Chbaakal said:

Fallout 4. First time since 2015-16. Wondering if I should just start killing Raiders as soon as I step into Nuka World or play the role of the Quest Peasant.....

After playing through most DLC 'as it was intended', I found a Nuka World mod which allows the calling of your Faction to assist in the carnage. At least minutemen and brotherhood, not sure about institute. Been awhile.

Maybe I'm getting old, but after loading up Far Cry 5 and getting past the 'tutorial', I found myself with a bow in hand, and while sneaking up on an outpost, sat there contemplating my feelings after a bow head shot to an enemy....   the graphics/animation is truly brutal and fairly realistic. I got over it, but I can easily see how a non gamer might be horrified and question the sanity of people whom play these games. It is both a testament, and statement, of the state of gaming today.

Dead By Daylight isn't that bad. Just lacks any variation in its gameplay. Its just the same old hook them and they escape. At least Friday the 13th offered variety in killing Jason and escaping. Also its a Games As A Service model which I can't stand. MIght as well tag EA logo onto it. But it was somewhat fun....for the first 15 minutes. Preferred Huntress and Wraith is good to troll people with. Really pissed people off with the Wraith by cloaking near a hooked survivor and then ambushing anyone who tries to rescue them. Then you get the "KYS F*GGOT!" comments going on from ragers. But it gets old too quickly and the Games As A Service only hurts it more.

Oh well Resident Evil 2 Remake Deluxe Edition preordered for next Friday. Demo was great so going to sink in more hours into that especially when mods kick in.

Couple of games on sale by Steam caused me to open the wallet again.

Farcry4 gold was $15. Running it on ultra, and having played Farcry5 recently (sale price was decent for gold/2018 release) made me realize how close in execution these games really are. If it ain't broke - don't fix it works well here.

Mortal Kombat X with DLC was also cheap. Not having played the title since the first one in the 90's (girlfriend's kid had it) I decided to give it a shot. Wow! It looks great and runs well, but I should've known my reflexes and dedication to committing an amazing amount of control/combo's to memory would prove problematic. Still - easy mode should allow me to 'scrub' my way through the story, which was my main interest.

Note: While a lot of games do keep me interested once I finish the main story, I find interest wanes shortly thereafter. My interest in games like the Sims3, while boosted by mods makes me realize, a good sandbox requires no story, just the possibility of engaging emergent game play based on the mechanics.

On 6/20/2018 at 7:32 PM, ToJKa said:

Well, what do you know? A brand new 90's FPS from 3D Realms on the Build engine!

..I am not kidding ?

Reveal hidden contents

A new level has been added to the early access, along with new weapons and an enemy.

If you are getting "beeping mouse lag" (that makes sense when you see it ;) ), open console (Shift + the key before 1) and enter r_maxfps 0

Ys: Memories of Celceta (Ys IV remake?) and Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of Dana. The former is fun and has one of the better soundtracks of the Ys games released on PSP/Steam. I wish I could say for certain if it was an Ys IV remake, but parts of it don't really match the Super Famicom version (I played a translated ROM of it years ago). Then again, seeing the liberties taken with the first three games in their remakes, I should have expected it.

The latter is okay now that it's been patched but I'm not real fond of the complete lack of merchants and the total focus on material gathering to produce needed items, nor is the soundtrack all that great. I can see why it gets mostly mixed reviews on Steam; it's not bad, but it's not as gripping as other Ys titles. I haven't played that far into it but there's a serious lack of any sense of mystery and "greater secrets to be uncovered" thanks to how the game is presented.

EDIT: I should mention that Memories' map is very unforgiving in terms of completion, since Map Completion is a pivotal part of the plot and leads to numerous rewards for every 10% uncovered. Tiny little parts (literally fractions of a percentage) along the very edges of areas need to be walked/run right against before the game will count them. :classic_angry:

Ace Combat 5: The Unsung War/Squadron Leader, surprisingly.

It was one of my favourite games back in the old PS2 days, and I've been meaning to replay it for a long time, but I don't even know where my PS2 is or whether it still works. Few days ago I was just browsing the Playstation Store and found out a new AC game was just released (AC7), and whaddayaknow, turns out if you buy the game, you get AC5 as well. Seems like the new one is pretty good from what I've read around, and I was willing to pay for AC5 anyway, so I got it.

Best thing about it is that is not simply a crappy PS2 emulation (like for example the PS4 version of the 3D-era GTAs are :classic_dodgy:), it's actually been remastered to some extent, or at least the engine has. Textures and meshes seem to be the same as the original (so it feels like playing a Bethesda game with the Texture Quality set to "Very Low"), but I can live with it thanks to the higher resolution, the AA, the rock-steady framerate and the ridiculously short load times.

Also just watching the intro/trailer was a damn trip.

*Ominous latin chanting*

*beat*

"...it apears you are up against Razgriz itself out there".

Still gives me the chills after all this time.

On 1/25/2019 at 2:56 AM, kapete said:

i recommend it to pretty much all gamers as long as you own Ps4.

I'll never own a PS4 or any other console sadly. Since the 'exclusives' war between Sony and Microsoft affect me as a PC user, it saddens me games like these will never be experienced by myself.

While I don't really know the problems with porting games to PC (past examples vary wildly in quality), I can say there is definitely lost sales.

I recently picked up LEGOs Lord of the Rings (was on sale for $5), and it makes me smile. They have a talent for bringing humor to IP's that aren't found anywhere else. 

3 hours ago, landess said:

I'll never own a PS4 or any other console sadly. Since the 'exclusives' war between Sony and Microsoft affect me as a PC user, it saddens me games like these will never be experienced by myself.

While I don't really know the problems with porting games to PC (past examples vary wildly in quality), I can say there is definitely lost sales.

I recently picked up LEGOs Lord of the Rings (was on sale for $5), and it makes me smile. They have a talent for bringing humor to IP's that aren't found anywhere else. 

Just curious why so firm about never owning a console? I am heart and soul PC guy myself but i really like to enjoy the best of both worlds.

21 hours ago, Blaze69 said:

Ace Combat 5: The Unsung War/Squadron Leader, surprisingly.

Yeah, that was a good one.  Lots of jets, lots of missions, great music, plot twists and sci-fi superweapons :love:

AC7 releases on PC next friday. I hear it's good, though some veterans are saying it is somewhat disapointing whne it comes to missions. Well, it can't be worse than Assault Horizon.

Then again, that's what i thought of Fallout 4, and then Fallout 76 happened.

Then again, that's what i thought of ME3, and then Andromeda happened.

?

Meanwhile in Resident Evil 2 Remake...

While VERY well done, i am a bit disappointed how little difference there is between the A and B scenario. And it would be easier to accomplish things if Mr. Ass wasn't ass-murdering your ass all the time.

1 hour ago, ToJKa said:

Yeah, that was a good one.  Lots of jets, lots of missions, great music, plot twists and sci-fi superweapons :love:

AC7 releases on PC next friday. I hear it's good, though some veterans are saying it is somewhat disapointing whne it comes to missions. Well, it can't be worse than Assault Horizon.

Then again, that's what i thought of Fallout 4, and then Fallout 76 happened.

Then again, that's what i thought of ME3, and then Andromeda happened.

?

Actually, I've just been playing AC7 (already finished 5 with S in all missions, and don't feel like going for it for the Very Hard/Ace difficulties again). Your first sentence pretty much describes the game, or at least that's my opinion.

Graphics are pretty damn good (you can tell they use Unreal this time around), and the weather effects are particulary nice. Control layout is basically the same as AC5, and while the control/movement itself feels a bit sluggish or "with latency" when compared with 5's "insta-snap" movement response, it also feels more realistic. Using machineguns is harder than in 5, at least against other planes (maybe because of the new movement or maybe because I'm just bad at it), but missile count is higher and most missions where you will definitely run out of ammo have some mechanics to replenish it anyway. They also implemented a "tech tree" to buy upgrades and planes that may require you to go buy some stuff first before you reach the goodies you want, but I've been able to buy the things I wanted without problems or without having to worry about not picking a "meta" layout or whatever. Plus, there are more options to upgrade/customize planes and change their special weapon loadout thanks to it.

Only thing I miss is the squad control mechanic from 5. Not that 5's AI wingmen were wonders of programming or anything, but at least they seemed to obey your commands so if you told them to cover your ass they would actually target the enemies tailing you. With 7 it feels like AI squamates actually do take down enemies and help in battles with frequency, but they don't seem to care about specifically helping the player at all (even when the dialogue/mission objectives say they are covering you), so they may just wander and go for that one plane in the corner of the map while you are left to deal with a dozen bogeys on your tail spamming you with the "missile" and "lock on" warnings :classic_dodgy:.

Story is similar to 5's, and it's back to Strangereal (Assault Horizon was supposed to happen in the real Earth IIRC?) with Osea and Erusea and all that stuff. Didn't surprise me as much as 5's did back then, but I still think it's good enough to at least keep you playing. Can't speak for the ending or for mission count for sure because I haven't finished the game yet, but I'm at 20 or so and the next mission sounds like the very definitely final mission, so barring unforeseen circumstances or second-mission-stage stuff like The Fortress/8492 or Aces/SOLG like in 5, I'd say that's it.

There's also a multiplayer mode that seems to be both co-op and versus, but I can't say anything about it because I haven't tried it yet.

On 1/26/2019 at 8:37 AM, kapete said:

Just curious why so firm about never owning a console? I am heart and soul PC guy myself but i really like to enjoy the best of both worlds.

It's a matter of a few things one might not consider:

I'm not a fan of controllers, I have the one which came with my Oculus (Xbox) and I do use it on occasion, like with the LEGOs LotR game I mentioned, but they bother my hands after using them for awhile. I feel like they cramp up in some weird monkey grip that I never got used to.

Also for financial frugality reasons. I can't justify the price of a console system, just to play 3-4 titles which still interest me to this day. My last console was an Atari 2600 which I was getting games for $1 from a bin in a store like Target back in the mid 80's. My mom turned me onto the Commodore 64 (with the external 5.25" disk drive), and I never went back.

While I don't mod most games I own, the lack of mod support for consoles in general, the online stuff, and all that goes with it just puts me off when I already have a nice gaming rig.

Hope this gives you the insight into 'why' in my case. This is why I say "sadly"......

On 1/26/2019 at 2:11 PM, MrEsturk said:

I have been hearing my roommate in the other room raging about that friendly fellow all day...

Yep! That's what it was like in both Scenario B's in the original RE 2, and for Jill in RE 3 with the Nemesis. I haven't played it yet--waiting for user reviews, maybe in a couple of weeks--but I would have been disappointed if he (it?) wasn't around to torment us. Zombies? Yawn. Lickers? Meh. An unstoppable killing machine? Now you've got my interest. :classic_cool:

59 minutes ago, Ernest Lemmingway said:

Yep! That's what it was like in both Scenario B's in the original RE 2, and for Jill in RE 3 with the Nemesis. I haven't played it yet--waiting for user reviews, maybe in a couple of weeks--but I would have been disappointed if he (it?) wasn't around to torment us. Zombies? Yawn. Lickers? Meh. An unstoppable killing machine? Now you've got my interest. :classic_cool:

I was thinking about checking the game out. But what the hell did they do to Claire? Her costumes are mostly frumpy messes, she runs like a grandma jogging on a treadmill.

Think I'll wait to see what, if anything, the modding community can do with it.

EDIT: Ok, maybe I just got a bad angle of her face watching my roommate play. And that granny run cycle I mentioned only occurs when she's wielding the rapid fire pistol you get in the second play through mode (That thing's animations are just goofy in general: the player fires it like some kind of quick draw carny).

47 minutes ago, MrEsturk said:

I was thinking about checking the game out. But what the hell did they do to Claire?

Yeah, that's a sticking point for me. Claire is supposed to have auburn hair. Like she does in all the previous games and the first RE CG movie. Not this dull brown I keep seeing in screenies and demo videos.

I don't know about her outfits or animations, though. I just can't get over her being made into a brunette.

1 hour ago, Ernest Lemmingway said:

I don't know about her outfits or animations, though.

Yeah, as I said in the edit its only while wielding that one pistol in the second play through that her animations get a bit silly looking. The other weapons she looks just fine. I had just been watching a roommate play the game, and during the early parts of the second play through the ammo drops kind of push you to primarily use that pistol so it seemed like they just plain screwed her up. Very silly looking run and shooting animations for that one, specific gun.

The outfits are are all just rather bland, baggy and safe for my tastes. Not that she needs to be strutting around in a micro bikini, but something like her Code Veronica clothes or Jill's Nemesis costume would have been nice to have.

Oh, and I'm quite fond of auburn hair myself. Though not quite as jarring as when they made Jill a blonde in RE: 5. I was not a fan of that decision: she went from a fairly distinct looking character to looking like clone of Nina (Tekken)/Sonya Blade.

4 hours ago, MrEsturk said:

Yeah, as I said in the edit its only while wielding that one pistol in the second play through that her animations get a bit silly looking. The other weapons she looks just fine. I had just been watching a roommate play the game, and during the early parts of the second play through the ammo drops kind of push you to primarily use that pistol so it seemed like they just plain screwed her up. Very silly looking run and shooting animations for that one, specific gun.

The outfits are are all just rather bland, baggy and safe for my tastes. Not that she needs to be strutting around in a micro bikini, but something like her Code Veronica clothes or Jill's Nemesis costume would have been nice to have.

Oh, and I'm quite fond of auburn hair myself. Though not quite as jarring as when they made Jill a blonde in RE: 5. I was not a fan of that decision: she went from a fairly distinct looking character to looking like clone of Nina (Tekken)/Sonya Blade.

This isn't just a review of Resident Evil 2, it actually shows a shot of Claire's old Made in Heaven outfit in the remake.

5 hours ago, MrEsturk said:

Claire always relied more on her pistol than her other weapons in the original. Sounds like they're going for the same thing here. ? Ugh, I'm going to hate that with the manual aim thing going. How many head shots will it take to down a licker? Or shots to G's arm-eye?

1 hour ago, Ernest Lemmingway said:

Claire always relied more on her pistol than her other weapons in the original. Sounds like they're going for the same thing here. ? Ugh, I'm going to hate that with the manual aim thing going. How many head shots will it take to down a licker? Or shots to G's arm-eye?

The Worth-A-Buy review suggests that critical hits have made a comeback in a big way so any one bullet can be worth up to 8 times the damage.

Of course, in practice, it means that most standard zombies will take 8 head shots to drop. I suppose that one has to thoroughly destroy the brain this time around. There is no telling how much damage the bosses can withstand now.