Skyrim Mod Manager!?

chapel

Just curious, I'm sure there are more than a few topics on this. Also, it's just my poor attempt to start posting here more often, but are there any decent managers for Skyrim?

I'm trying to get back into this game since I heard talk about a Hammerfell DLC and will use any you guys suggest BUT that god awful, slower than drying paint, cluster fuck that is the Nexus Mod Manager. :|

Thanks in advance guys.

hi lordofthedread!

what happens if I use a mod manager!
I leave to the manager the task of installation.
For example: you have a mod installed, then you install another mod with the manager, but the mod uses the same files as the previous mod. So the manager simply overwrites the older files. then this mod if you do not like then you can back to the manager about the task to uninstall what the manager is doing well!
but he did not put the game back in the older state, because the manager is not intelligent, he can not bring back the overwritten files.

NMM will always ask before replacing a file, it will even ask you if you want to replace the files exlusively for a said mod, a folder or all. When you uninstall a mod using NMM it will indeed replace the old files back, not saying it is perfect and it will sometimes leave a folder or a file from a mod you uninstalled behind or something like but it works pretty good actually.

I dont know about Mod Organizer but I believe it is the same, even more that it allows you to make profiles to load different mods for different characters for example and leave your data folder untouched.

That said I totally respect that you like better control over your data folder and want to install all the mods manually, in my opinion if something makes my life easier I will probably use it.

hi lordofthedread!
there is still another problem-why I do not use a manager.
almost all managers are in english, but I am German and therefore useless to me! the modder who think something developed so only to their own kind and they make their mods only for English-speaking people to dispose.

Wrye Bash is a great tool indeed, I would not call that a mod manager tho, it is a more advanced tool to sort out your load order and do a lot of stuff and while it is pretty capable to handle mod installation I would not recommend it for that purpose, especially if you are new in modding your game.

Boss on the other hand is very easy to use and a must have to get your load order sorted out without hassle.

hi lordofthedread!

there is still another problem-why I do not use a manager.

almost all managers are in english, but I am German and therefore useless to me! the modder who think something developed so only to their own kind and they make their mods only for English-speaking people to dispose.

Ich verstehe nicht, warum Sie nicht verwenden können, so gibt es ein paar Themen in Deutsch, die Ihnen helfen können:

http://forum.scharesoft.de/showthread.php?42416-Wrye-Bash-f%FCr-Skyrim

http://www.ei-der-zeit.com/forum/index.php?page=Thread&threadID=5692

Außerdem in Wrye Bash können Sie schalten Sie ihn über den deutschen, indem Sie auf die Einstellungen (das Zahnrad-Symbol) und dann Sprache.

That's all. Just the matter of using Google-fu.

post-95254-0-64019200-1371540202_thumb.jpg

Also you have to reckon that English is still the most widely used language (also on the internet) and it does make the communication easier when we all use the same language (despite the translation tools available).

English is not my mother tongue either but I'd rather play Skyrim (or any game) in English actually because most of the time it was made by English speakers and translations are very often far from accurate (I wont even get started on voices).

I am not saying that you should learn English to mod (or learn it at all), I'm just saying that learning English will probably make your life easier (not only on internet) and since German is way more complicated to learn, English will be piece of cake in comparaison :)

hi Rayblue!
Thank you for your contribution, he was very stimulating.
as you know I am an old man, I find it sometimes difficult to understand some things, so I am relying on what I'm clear. There also are other reasons why I do not use a manager, one for example: I'm not a modder but I like to experiment with mods and write data to complete so, new armor, and so I got a body to no one but me has. only now beginning to the modder to work on an open pussy that I own already over 1 year.

Deutsch !

danke für deinen beitrag , er war sehr anregend .
wie du weißt bin ich ein alter mann ,mir fällt es manchmal schwer manche dinge zu begreifen und deshalb verlasse ich mich darauf womit ich klar komme . es giebt auch noch andere gründe warum ich keinen manager verwende , einer zum beispiel : ich bin kein modder aber ich experimentiere gerne mit mods und schreibe komplette daten um , so entstehen neue rüstungen und so habe ich eine körper erhalten den außer mir niemand besitzt . jetzt erst fangen die modder an , an einer offenen pussy zu arbeiten die ich schon über 1 jahr besitze .

hi lordofthedread!

of course you're right, it would be much easier if all people would speak English. but why, but just could speak Russian, Chinese, Japanese or German all people. why take the englishman that right out, that everything has to dance to their whistle! it is good that the human race is so diverse, it would only do more for each other.

Deutsch !

natürlich hast du recht , es wäre deutlich einfacher , wenn alle menschen englisch sprechen würden . aber warum , genauso könnten doch auch alle menschen russisch , chinesisch , japanisch oder deutsch sprechen . warum nehmen sich die engländer das recht heraus ,daß alles nach ihrer pfeife tanzen muß ! es ist gut das die menschliche rasse so vielfältig ist , sie müßten nur mehr für einander tun.

I realize thats its goes way off topic but the easy answer is because there are more people speaking English than people speaking other languages, that does not mean that every country should give up its own language and start speaking English, just that for somewhat small communities including many nationalities it gets easier if everyone speaks the same language.

if I was to release a mod I would definitly write it in English first and then translate it in my own language because I know I will have more people using my mod if it is in English.

For a gaming company like Bethesda it is already a lot of money involved in translation of a game like Skyrim but it is next to impossible for a modder or someone releasing a free tool like a mod manager.

hi lordofthedread!
here you have only partially right.
when it is properly the modder modding it in their language, that is of course understandable, because they do not get money for their hard work, they make their works available to the public free of charge.
Bethesda is the thing with something else, what would have happened if they had skyrim published in English language. I bet you that would become a multibillion dollar business loss. I'm German and I'm in my home country and I would never learn another language just because the few want .

Deutsch !

auch hier hast du nur zum teil recht .
bei modder ist es richtig das sie in ihrer sprache modden , daß ist ja auch verständlich , denn sie bekommen kein geld für ihre harte arbeit , sie stellen ihre werke kostenlos der allgemeinheit zur verfügung.
bei Bethesda ist die sache etwas anders , was wäre passiert sie hätten skyrim nur in englischer sprache veröffentlicht . ich wette mit dir , daß wäre ein milliarden verlust geschäft geworden . ich bin deutscher und ich stehe zu meinem heimatland und ich würde nie eine andere sprache lernen , nur weil das einige wollen .

I use Mod Organizer whats great about it is that it uses a virtual file directory structure so not only does it not change a single file of the original game but installing one mod does not overwrite the files of another mod (except virtually of course). Also it has the best trouble shooting features, you can see which files are being overwritten buy which mod. Lets say you installed mod A and then mod B but Mod B overwrote a Mod A file but you want the mod A version well all you have to do is change their mod order (which can be different from their esp order) and now mod A overwrites the file from mod B. Removing a mod is as simple as unchecking it from the mod list (this won't remove any scripts it may have installed into your saves though).

Theirs an example of a real problem I had. All female blacksmiths where showing up naked even though I hadn't installed a mod to change blacksmiths clothes. So I installed a mod that changes the blacksmiths clothes looked for what mod it was overwriting files for deleted the female blacksmith files from that mod and then uninstalled the blacksmith mod and everything was back to normal.  

Also Mod Organizer does support German as well as other languages.   

Archived