Fomm - Custom Build - 0.14.11.13

I did not intend to affect BOSS, I can only say two things in my defense.

First, I didn't know the check for updates also performed that function; I thought it was only for checking for updates to FOMM and your installed mods. Second, that mod check in the update was crashing the client for anyone who hadn't entered a nexus login.

I will see what I can do about getting BOSS support back in.

That'd be good 'cos I used that with vanilla FOMM - without any crash either, as I've never entered Nexus login details to it.

And it'd be very good as I've always found the BOSS auto-sort in FOMM to be better (and the list more up-to-date), than vanilla BOSS' (yeah, go figure)!

Personally I've never had a need/use for it, so didn't think to test it or see if it had been affected. Oops!

It doesn't look like it'll be difficult to get it working again though. I didn't actually touch any of the BOSS related code except that one button that downloads the masterlist. There are two spots where that error can pop up: the sort itself (obviously), and the load order report. I should be able to just download if it's missing in both places.

After that, I'll find somewhere to stuff an 'update BOSS masterlist' button, and a setting to automatically update it on startup.

I don't remember if it was in this thread or another one that someone else mentioned Mod Organizer (http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/1334/?)  (source code:  http://sourceforge.net/p/modorganizer).  When you ran a check for updates, it launched a command window that checked the BOSS load order file and if there was an update, it downloaded it from the file location (which I believe was hosted on a google drive).  It's been awhile since I had Skyrim installed, so sorry about the fuzzy memory.

In searching their google site, I *think* that this is the file that you'd need to check for/download:  http://code.google.com/p/better-oblivion-sorting-software/source/browse/data/boss-fallout-nv/masterlist.txt.  It was last updated on 1/8, and does have at least some of the SO masters listed (I didn't look for all of them).

I do miss this feature.  Whatever load order is in there now thinks that SO Preg should go before SO, SCR, etc.  Unlike ChianasGeek, d/ling the updates used to always crash FOMM for me.  Even though it upset FOMM, the file was always grabbed.

v0.14.6 now in OP

- BOSS report and sort should both work now.

I tested the report and it works fine. If the masterlist is not there, it will ask you if you'd like to download it. I did not test the actual autosort -- that's just something I've never trusted, I manage just fine sorting by hand. :) If there are problems with it though, let me know, and I'll bite teh bullet and try it out.

There is no way right now to update the masterfile after downloading it once except manually. If you delete it (it's called "lotemplate.txt" in whatever directory FOMM is keeping your mods in, under 'Install Info' -- e.g. c:\games\FalloutNV\Install Info\), it will download a new one next time you run either command.

EDIT: updated to v0.14.6.

i got a question: i used the graphics settings in the old FOMM and it did override some of the game's settings, but not all and it also turned some of them to absurdly high settings and i had to manually reset those after every start of the game.

does this version of FOMM correct this?

well, and i know FO3 had a problem within its game code where it would write changes in the options (graphics/keylayout) to one file, but reading the second file on startup... resulting in it being reversed on every start... is there a way to get rid of this?

i didnt see any mods being marked with any color in the mods list... although i know some of their master-dependencies and dependencies on other plugins...is this a bug?

I have not touched that at all. If it's not in the list in the OP, it hasn't been done.

Both games have two copies of the ini files, the default file, and the per-use file. If there's some bug in FO3 that makes it write settings to the wrong file, I can't fix that without writing to both files -- which defeats the purpose of their being two of them. Nothing but official updates is supposed to touch the defaults file.

I like the changes and direction of your version of FOMM enough to be confident to give it a try..

However, and forgive me if it has been answered before here.

With all your updates and changes what is the proper and safe way to upgrade to your new versions. (In general I realize in the future I might have to delete everything but the installed mods and mod info)

My understanding is to just extract the new version into the folder and overwrite unless told to do otherwise by you in the OP.

If you have an existing install you can just extract this one over the top. There are no changes to how it manages mods or any of that. If you don't, just extract it wherever you want it to be and run it, there's no installer at present.

I've been using it myself since I created it, I've never had a need to run the old/original version, and no longer even have a copy.

I have not touched that at all. If it's not in the list in the OP, it hasn't been done.

Both games have two copies of the ini files, the default file, and the per-use file. If there's some bug in FO3 that makes it write settings to the wrong file, I can't fix that without writing to both files -- which defeats the purpose of their being two of them. Nothing but official updates is supposed to touch the defaults file.

thanks. it is a bit different though: there are two almost identical ini files in two different locations:

-install folder

-[OS-Drive]\Dokumente und Einstellungen\<username>\Eigene Dateien\My Games\Fallout3

i dont know the names of the folders in the english windows-version, but it must be something similiar to this

"[OS-Drive]\documents and settings\<username>\my files\My Games\Fallout3"

i found that fallout3 reads one on load, but saves your changes to the other... they never seemed to care for patching this.

i installed 0.14.7 today and didnt notice the colouring adn BOSS didnt seem to have changed anything to my loadorder - maybe it is coincidantly already been sorted before...

Guest carywinton

I did not intend to affect BOSS, I can only say two things in my defense.

First, I didn't know the check for updates also performed that function; I thought it was only for checking for updates to FOMM and your installed mods. Second, that mod check in the update was crashing the client for anyone who hadn't entered a nexus login.

I will see what I can do about getting BOSS support back in.

As to the crashing issue, merely hitting cancel when that box when it comes up for the Nexus login works fine, you can then work in package manager. The BOSS auto sort feature was purely "experimental" according to the readme, etc, I did not find it worked as well as actually using Boss formally.

I do miss this feature.  Whatever load order is in there now thinks that SO Preg should go before SO, SCR, etc.  Unlike ChianasGeek, d/ling the updates used to always crash FOMM for me.  Even though it upset FOMM, the file was always grabbed.

Oops, yeah, that's what I get for posting while only 2 sips into first coffee of the day - vanilla FOMM crashes for me after dl'ing update. Thought the context of the thread was about crashing during the BOSS auto-sort, lol :P

Funny how one can become so used to something like that, eh?

I believe BOSS itself just uses the download file as a 'hints' file for mods that are not dependent on one another, but modify the same records. It always respects the actual dependency list within the mod over what the hints file says, if there is a conflict.

The FOMM "BOSS" autosort is not BOSS, it's a watered down version only a few lines long that is apparently (I have not looked) using *only* the BOSS hints file, and sorting anything else alphabetically. However, now that it's working again, it should be safe to use, and any errors in judgement should immediately be apparent via the new colorizing.

When I run the autosorter, it puts Legion before Slavery, since it knows about neither one from the hints file, and does not look at the actual mod requirements. At least now when it does this, Legion will be brown. ;)

I think I'll take a stab at fixing this, like, right now.

Have just tested 0.14.7 - working great, thanks, and noted about the limitations of its BOSS auto-sort - I'll bear that in mind for future (I always have BOSS installed in case of need) :)

The colourisation of the load order feature only seems to work for FNV, not FO3, though...

thanks. it is a bit different though: there are two almost identical ini files in two different locations:

-install folder

-[OS-Drive]\Dokumente und Einstellungen\<username>\Eigene Dateien\My Games\Fallout3

i dont know the names of the folders in the english windows-version, but it must be something similiar to this

"[OS-Drive]\documents and settings\<username>\my files\My Games\Fallout3"

i found that fallout3 reads one on load, but saves your changes to the other... they never seemed to care for patching this.

Ah. That's a real kick in the pants. The only way to fix it is by writing the modified values back to the original .ini in the install directory, which is 'bad' because if settings in there are wrong, you're going to have to restore the original one in the install directory from backup.

I'm really not feeling like tackling this.. :(

i installed 0.14.7 today and didnt notice the colouring adn BOSS didnt seem to have changed anything to my loadorder - maybe it is coincidantly already been sorted before...

The coloring only occurs if things are in the wrong order or missing/disabled. Drag SCR to be before Sexout and you'll see it, or untick sexout and a bunch of mods will light up like a christmas tree. If everything is black, then everything is in order and nothing required is missing or disabled.

Have just tested 0.14.7 - working great, thanks, and noted about the limitations of its BOSS auto-sort - I'll bear that in mind for future (I always have BOSS installed in case of need) :)

The colourisation of the load order feature only seems to work for FNV, not FO3, though...

Well I put the crap in the FO3 code and just let it 'trickle down' to FONV.

Guess I need to get FO3 installed and test. Thanks for the heads up. :)

You know, rather than reinventing the wheel here, I do have another option or two.

BOSS, like most of these projects, is open source. I could:

• "steal" their business logic and incorporate it into FOMM.
  • Build BOSS as a lib, link it, and use it as-is.
  • There is an API. I could require BOSS be installed if you want to use it, and use the API to call the real BOSS.
#1 is completely unappealing to me in light of this.

#2 would work, but it's a bit more difficult than #3 (BOSS has a fair amount of requirements in order to build it), and would require constant maintance from me to keep up to date with the latest BOSS code, and would make deciding between v2 or v3 more difficult.

#3 is the preferable way to do things, similar to how tessnip and other things are called from within FOMM, and I'm pretty sure I can make it work with BOSS v2 and v3 both, whichever the user has installed.

Any objections to this? Any reason at all not to?