Welcome to LoversLab
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

[Tutorial] Animating for Skyrim with custom bones(BBP etc.) in Blender/hkxcmd

tutorial blender animating hkxcmd

• Please log in to reply
46 replies to this topic

en_hawk

en_hawk

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 253 posts
Alright, I've made some revisions and improvements to the guide and packed it up in a pdf. I'm planning on posting it on the nexus as well, but with the nexus being the nexus I'm not going anywhere near the comment section there, so I'm keeping it here too. Got about 30 seconds into the upload process and decided nope, I'm not going anywhere near that fascist shithole. Besides even if I did, based on the policies I was reading for the upload process there's a good chance I'd get banned for posting it anyway as I don't have permission to post the publicly released modders resources that are the edited blender scripts. Sorry if this is going to make it harder to get the information where it needs to go, but in terms of uploading content I wouldn't touch that place with a 10 1/2' pole.

For newcomers, this guide covers the creation of animations that make use of custom skeletons in blender, and how to get them in game. It also covers the theory and creation of rescaled skeletons(this bit isn't in the old version of the guide), along with some general do-s and don't-s.

Attached File  animation tutorial.pdf   130.3KB   606 downloads
Attached File  XPMS custom.rar   55.98KB   319 downloads
Attached File  patched nif scripts.rar   177.43KB   330 downloads

If for whatever reason you can't view the pdf, the last non-pdf revision is spoiler tagged below. The instructions are more or less the same, though there are a few bits that got added in the new version that aren't in here, namely the skeleton scaling stuff.
Spoiler

If you have any comments or suggestions please let me know.

Edited by en_hawk, 14 July 2013 - 11:32 AM.

AdBot

AdBot
  • Advert

Monsto Brukes

Monsto Brukes

Title: Monsto - Name: Brukes

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,411 posts

I havent' the slightest idea why nobody has commented on this.

All I can say is "well motherfucking done, my friend... well motherfucking done." That's all I can say. 

I might even suggest that you do something in addition to this post. . . If you took the current text, put it in a pdf and put it on nexus or in the downloads section here, you could put posts in the various places linking to it (like the tutorials forum, skyrim general, skyrim mods and skyrim adult around here). then you'd get way more exposure and be more liable to put docs in the hands of those that could really use it.

And that's just a tweak, is all. Other than that, well motherfucking done.

en_hawk

en_hawk

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 253 posts

Glad you liked it! I too am surprised nobody else has spoken up, I figured people would be jumping all over this...

I didn't realize there was a tutorials subforum, this probably belongs in there rather than in here. I'm not sure who the mods are for this subforum, but perhaps one of them could move this into its proper place.

Good call on the pdf idea; while I harbor no love for the nexus, that is probably one of the better ideas for getting the information where it needs to go. Though I am a tad surprised there isn't some kind of tutorials index thread or central repository of information for working with skyrim...

D_ManXX2

D_ManXX2

Mega Poster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,714 posts

They probably have the mentality like why doing this if others can do this for me. Also animating zaps away allot of free time. and most people don't wont to go through that. So they choose the easy way out. great tutorial btw.

labrat

labrat

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 478 posts

Most excellent. I gave up on modding Skyrim after much head-banging. This is now going to tempt me back. Time.....I need more time...... :D

Monsto Brukes

Monsto Brukes

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,411 posts

Yes, most excellent indeed. I still haven't looked at it in depth, but it might be an opportunity to build some useful idles, walks or just fixing that which is already out there (i'm looking at you TBBP).

Stratovarius

Stratovarius

Sexy Succubus Squad

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 144 posts

Thank you for the instructions; should I be using any particular version of Blender?

en_hawk

en_hawk

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 253 posts

The version the nif tools currently support; 2.49b.

Pandaman

Pandaman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 146 posts

While I was looking around for information regarding havok content tools and non-rape-me-in-the-wallet-Autodesk-products, I came across this:

http://qni.projectan...ender-file.html

Haven't read too deeply into it yet, but it seems that Project Anarchy is Havok's freeware modeling app (which havok content tools can hook into) and will eventually accept FBX imports from any program capable of exporting in that format. This is great news for me, since I find Daz Studio's interface more intuitive than Blender 2.49b's, but it benefits pretty much everyone.

en_hawk

en_hawk

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 253 posts
I just edited the OP, for anyone interested.

Shugotenshi

Shugotenshi

忍者

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 158 posts

Thanks for sharing!

meowcakes

meowcakes

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 44 posts

i'm monitoring this bread.

JohnHead444

JohnHead444

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts

First off thank you very much for this. I tried and tried to figure out why extra bones wouldn't work in game. Now I no why. So thank you. But on another note not to poke holes in your tutorial or any thing. There is a super easy way to re-scale bones in blender.

The way to get bones scaled to your in game bone structure is to take your set up armature and go into pose mod. Then pick a bone and hit "N" on your keyboard to open up the transform data window. In this window to the bottom right you'll see scaling Y X Z axis. Then change this to what ever that bones is scaled at in your in game skeleton. Do this for all the bones and and hit "A" to highlight all of them then hit "I" lock rot. Done! Now it will animate perfectly in game as far as a single character goes. Hope this help or wasn't what you all ready said a lot of blender functions are still a mystery to me. 

Monsto Brukes

Monsto Brukes

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,411 posts

Thank you for the instructions; should I be using any particular version of Blender?

blender 2.49b is the standard for skyrim crappage. GL.

Monsto Brukes

Monsto Brukes

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,411 posts

I just edited the OP, for anyone interested.

HORSE SHIT. 

Eat the bowl of shit and put it on nexus!!!

jk of course. trust me . . . I get it.

Just had another thought while I was typing this: had you considered putting the tute on creationkit.com? I'm just thinkin out loud is all.

ZaZ Chris

ZaZ Chris

KinkAnimator

• Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,203 posts

You Guys , Are just Awesome  , I will be back this October and give this A whirl , And  Help Add some bondage animations to ZAP . 

Great work en_hawk , and keep it up

Cheers

gooboo

gooboo

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 132 posts

Thanks a lot for the plugin, en_hawk. I was hoping someone would make animating these new skeletons work in blender and not just 3ds max. I do have a question, however, as I seem to be doing something wrong. 

Whenever I convert my kf's to hkx's and replace my old animations my character, or the camera, falls through the floor. I remember you mentioning something in your pdf about putting a loc frame on the camera bone to prevent it falling through the ground, (if that's even what you were referring to) but when I did that it didn't seem to do anything. Here's some screenshots to show what's going on in game-

The animation I redid was the walk animation. Whenever I stand or run, everything's fine.

Attached File  ScreenShot71.jpg   279.28KB   9 downloads

However when I start walking, the camera goes into the ground and I can't see my character. This screenshot is still in third person mode, like the previous one. 

Attached File  ScreenShot72.jpg   742.72KB   5 downloads

I'm sure there's some technicality somewhere that I missed, and it's screwing everything up. If anyone can offer me a hand, I'd greatly appreciate it :)

en_hawk

en_hawk

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 253 posts
Right, you need to both key your camera node, and make sure there is a 'priority:0' constraint on it, I guess I wasn't super clear on that last part.

The node we're looking for is 'Camera3rd [Cam3]', with that selected hit the 'add constraint' button in the constraints section of the editing panel and choose 'null'(if it doesn't already have one(it probably wont)). The new constraint should have a text entry field on it that should come filled with 'Const', you want to change this to 'priority:0'. Once that is done the bone color in the 3d view should change from blue to green(assuming you have keyframes on it), and you should be good to go.

Let me know if that fixes it for you.

Monsto Brukes

Monsto Brukes

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,411 posts

I'm curious . . . 

In the tutorial, under "importing and exporting nifs" section at the end, you mention

This subject has been thoroughly documented by others, so this is just going to be a quick overview of the process for those who need a refresher.

Thoroughly documented? Where?

Because I can't find documentation on it worth a crap. 

en_hawk

en_hawk

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 253 posts
A quick search on the nexus for 'blender nif' revealed both of these http://skyrim.nexusm...om/mods/15690/? http://skyrim.nexusm...com/mods/3790/?, and I've also seen the information passed around in other places.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: tutorial, blender, animating, hkxcmd